Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

remember: dont buy crap games

2»

Comments

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Most MMOs do have that "Why'd you leave me!? I thought we had something special!" survey when you cancel a sub.

I wonder how many people actually take the time to fill them out.

Of that number, I wonder how many people do so without flaming the devs.

I fill them out. At times I flame a bit... I admit it :( Not massively but I'm not going to beat around the bush if I have a particulary annoyance. Though if I am just bored or feel it's just not my sort of game after all I'll say that.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Originally posted by Elsabolts

How can you be buying a crap game if it comes with a Lifetime Subscription ?

TERA and TSW come with lifetime subs?

Tera and TSW are crap games? Not in my book.

In fact, while I am a frequent poster bemoaning the lack of originality in MMO's these days, I buy them regularly despite that.

Why?  Because I stopped looking for absolutes.  I find that almost every MMORPG out there is fun for at least a month or two, so they are worth playing.

I stop my subs of course, figuring that will send a message to Dev's that what they built didn't hold my interest.  Perhaps what they get up front from me and others is enough, if so, then we'll not likely see  much changing any time soon.

But perhaps one day a Dev will consider building a game that might hold my attention for more than a month and we'll get something better.

Until then I don't mind paying and playing what they are serving us right now.

And no, WOW and SWTOR were not crap games either, be reasonable folks.

Amen preach on..though for me, its more like 4 to 5 months then move on...The only problem I have at the moment in game choosing is that GW2, Tera and TSW all are dropping roughly at the same time..flipped a coin and going with TSW (coz modern setting) but played the Tera Beta and that is def on my ToPlay list. and GW2 im sure ill try..but later

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by bishbosh

just remind yourself not to get caught in hype.

That's like trying to tell a junkie, not to spend all their money on drugs. Good luck with that.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

How can you be buying a crap game if it comes with a Lifetime Subscription ?

TERA and TSW come with lifetime subs?

Tera and TSW are crap games? Not in my book.

In fact, while I am a frequent poster bemoaning the lack of originality in MMO's these days, I buy them regularly despite that.

Why?  Because I stopped looking for absolutes.  I find that almost every MMORPG out there is fun for at least a month or two, so they are worth playing.

I stop my subs of course, figuring that will send a message to Dev's that what they built didn't hold my interest.  Perhaps what they get up front from me and others is enough, if so, then we'll not likely see  much changing any time soon.

But perhaps one day a Dev will consider building a game that might hold my attention for more than a month and we'll get something better.

Until then I don't mind paying and playing what they are serving us right now.

And no, WOW and SWTOR were not crap games either, be reasonable folks.

Haha, I didn't mean those 2 are crap games, he said how can a game with lifetime sub be crap and I just wanted to point out that the OP wasn't refering necesarily to the game without a sub, it's not the only one comming out now.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Most MMOs do have that "Why'd you leave me!? I thought we had something special!" survey when you cancel a sub.

I wonder how many people actually take the time to fill them out.

Of that number, I wonder how many people do so without flaming the devs.

I always fill them out. In the case of SWTOR I told them that after reaching level 50 I didn't see the sort of end game that would hold my interest (based more on territory/resource control) and that I wasn't much of a gear grinder so their title just didn't appeal to me beyond the story content I had run.  I also told them I was leaving for Tera.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by jpnz

It is kinda like going to the movies.

You generally know what to expect via the trailers/actor/director etc.

Sides, last I checked, a night out is more expensive than a $60 game anyway so who cares if I buy 1-2 crap a month? :P

its not about money. its about ensuring we dont get shit games in the future.

you buy crap games -> you lose some cash, no biggie

you buy crap games -> devs keep making crap games knowing that you will buy them

also; i generally spend less that $60 on a night out.

how many hours do you play a video game a month?  Just one night?  Turn it into money per hours then come back to us.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I never bought crap games.

WOW is more or less the only MMO that i pay for, and it has hold up to be a very good game so far.

And there are plenty of F2P games when i am waiting for the next WOW content to come out. There is no need to "buy" anything.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by waynejr2

Sides, last I checked, a night out is more expensive than a $60 game anyway so who cares if I buy 1-2 crap a month? :P

you buy crap games -> devs keep making crap games knowing that you will buy them

how many hours do you play a video game a month?  Just one night?  Turn it into money per hours then come back to us.

night out chance to get laid.

at home playing zero chance to get laid.

now tell me witch one you choose? :p

also I agree with no buying crappy games make devs make better games, it also should be used for all DLCs and any other method to milk games, like selling endings, paying for DLC who are already in cd you know all the crap things most gamers let then do....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Actually, i think the reverse is true.

We should buy more games, creating more competition for the devs. This in turn forces the Devs to create better games so we'll buy theirs instead. If we're only buying a select few, where's their incentive to make any?

And besides, who's to say what's crappy? One just needs to browse these forums to see that everyone has their own ideas on what's good and what's bad

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by wrightstuf

We should buy more games, creating more competition for the devs. This in turn forces the Devs to create better games so we'll buy theirs instead. If we're only buying a select few, where's their incentive to make any?

not if you buy crap, it will only tell then you will buy anything they toss on you without regard, in the end quality go out of widow for quantity, and then we will have more crap to evade, buying only good games make then feel the need to make better things, pushing things forward, not like now the only thing they do is put better graphic lame gamplay and even more lame history with would take you just 8 hours of play to do a 100% run.

I miss the time I spend over 80 hours in game just to finish the game, and more 100 to get a 100% run, I really do

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by wrightstuf

not if you buy crap, it will only tell then you will buy anything they toss on you without regard, in the end quality go out of widow for quantity, and then we will have more crap to evade, buying only good games make then feel the need to make better things, pushing things forward, not like now the only thing they do is put better graphic lame gamplay and even more lame history with would take you just 8 hours of play to do a 100% run.

I miss the time I spend over 80 hours in game just to finish the game, and more 100 to get a 100% run, I really do

Who's to say what's crap? You?

I am married with two kids and i got laid whenever i want. In fact, getting laid is nothing to write home about.

In fact, i probably will choose to play. Getting into a good PUG raid is much more rare for me, than getting laid.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    I am married with two kids and i got laid whenever i want. In fact, getting laid is nothing to write home about.
    In fact, i probably will choose to play. Getting into a good PUG raid is much more rare for me, than getting laid.

"In fact, getting laid is nothing to write home about."

Wow, nice job, sport. Way to insult your wife. I bet she would be hurt if she heard you say that...

(Unless of course, this is a made up marriage.)

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by nariusseldon

"In fact, getting laid is nothing to write home about."

Wow, nice job, sport. Way to insult your wife. I bet she would be hurt if she heard you say that...

(Unless of course, this is a made up marriage.)

Why is that an insult? After so many years, i don't have to brag about it every time, do I? I didn't say it wasn't good.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

just remind yourself not to get caught in hype. wait for games to be released and evaluate them throughly and never listen to large review sites (they are paid off). ideally you should play a trial before buying.

remember that everytime you support a crap mmorpg financially, you are giving investors/devs the go ahead to make more crap mmorpgs.

Thats true.After i bought swtor collectors edition i realised the mistake i have done.

The only game im willing to play is diablo 3.I played the beta and the game is going to be awesome.i know it was easy but that was only 1% of the game.

I preordered collectors edition as the final collectors in my list except the upcoming diablo expansions :).

In gw 2 i didnt preordered ce because i didnt had the oportunity to play the game.Additionaly im not even sure if i will buy the standar game in the end.Im tired of all these mmorpg craps coming one after another fooling people around saying we are the jesus in the mmorpg genre.

Thats why i turned back to my beloved game Diablo.It's not mmo,you can play with your friends,you can have much of adrenaline pumbs while playing in higher difficulties and you can even crank your adrenaline to the max by playing hardcore.

Additionaly u can try your luck to the rmah hoping to earn some cash for energy drinks :)

Finally you got pvp that will come after 3or 6 months and at least 2 expansions if im right that will follow in the upcoming years.But im sure blizard will add more than 2 expansions if they see that game has made a huge success.

Having a game like this seriously..who gives an f about mmorpgs.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by waynejr2

also I agree with no buying crappy games make devs make better games, it also should be used for all DLCs and any other method to milk games, like selling endings, paying for DLC who are already in cd you know all the crap things most gamers let then do....

Sure, he must be some kind of player. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

No worries, I've learned my lesson with Age of Conan.

No way I'll ever pay for any new MMORPG without an extensive trial/beta.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

So no one should buy until someone else buys to tell you about it?

Awesome advice duder!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

just remind yourself not to get caught in hype. wait for games to be released and evaluate them throughly and never listen to large review sites (they are paid off). ideally you should play a trial before buying.

remember that everytime you support a crap mmorpg financially, you are giving investors/devs the go ahead to make more crap mmorpgs.

So we don't have to believe the gaming sites but we have to believe you:P

Most games not only are reviewed but also have alfa/beta testers placing gameplay videos on youtube or forums where players tell about the game you can have fair knowledge of most games before you can deside to buy the game or not.

You don;t have to tell what i should or should not ok and thank you have nice day:)

And who desides whats crap or whats not? Tell me whats definition of crap game?

For one its crap for other its awesome game remember thats my friend.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by Larsa

Nice attempt - but it won't work of course. Too many people seem to have an MMORPG addiction and are excited that a new game comes up - it doesn't really matter what the game is and what features there are.

It's funny how many of the GW2 fans have been SWTOR fans just half a year ago. In fact some of them even made posts like "innovative", "changes the way we play MMOs", "makes Blizzard nervous" on the SWTOR forums 6 months ago. They're now making the same posts about GW2. :)

I reckon there are a number of players in the MMORPG genre that really want to be excited, they want to be all hyped up. It's almost as if getting all excited and hyped-up is more fun to them than actually playing the game.

This is very spot on.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It's really hard to tell people to do that when all the preorders come with special benefits.

Many MMO let you play beta if you preorder....or they let you play a couple of days in advance...people are going to buy it no matter what.

Game companies are one step ahead of us.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by skeaser

Awesome advice duder!

For the patient ones, the non hype train passangers, it's actualy quite a good feature, a luxury even, to have a crowd of people willing to test a product for you, for free or even pay to test it.

I'm quite happy this way. And than you even get to say TOLD YOU. That's the best part :>

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Yet more reason for F2P.

Tried LoL, Tribes, Super MNC, Star Trek Online, and Stronghold Kingdoms.  For free.

Guess which ones received my money?

Answer: all the non-crap ones.  (Which I could tell were non-crap because I could play them.  For free.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by skeaser

Awesome advice duder!

Yeh. Read the reviews, and posts from beta-testers.

There are always some who get to play the game BEFORE anyone has to buy.