Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

Comments

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Velocinox

Originally posted by BadSpock

I will be the FIRST person to admit I was wrong about GW2 if it turns out to suck lol

We will see tomorrow ;)

With all due respect to our illustrious evil science officer, I think its going to take longer than that. The new game smell alone will last it 3 to 6 months. That stuff is powerful. You can spray that stuff in a kids face before giving him a root canal and he'll tell all his friends how cool a root canal is and they should get one too.

Does that really represent if a game is good or not or exposes short attention span?  What? They supposed to pour fun into your hands while you sit there?

They give you a world. Play in it.  There are never boring things.  Just boring people.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by Leodious

Except this isn't hype, and it's never been hype.

What Funcom is doing with The Secret World is hype. What people who have played the game are doing with Guild Wars 2 is not hype. It is regular people who have played the game being really excited about it.

This again?  When you have the devs theselves giving interviews claiming that GW1 was second only to WoW (Second what we have no idea) and the aim for GW2 is to be number 1, that's not hype?  Really?

Not only is that a ridiculous amount of hype, I have to ask for proof sir. Do you have the link where this was stated? Not doubting you, I just prefer to deal with facts.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Nevulus

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by Leodious

Except this isn't hype, and it's never been hype.

What Funcom is doing with The Secret World is hype. What people who have played the game are doing with Guild Wars 2 is not hype. It is regular people who have played the game being really excited about it.

This again?  When you have the devs theselves giving interviews claiming that GW1 was second only to WoW (Second what we have no idea) and the aim for GW2 is to be number 1, that's not hype?  Really?

Not only is that a ridiculous amount of hype, I have to ask for proof sir. Do you have the link where this was stated? Not doubting you, I just prefer to deal with facts.

There are threads with links here in these boards. The devs did make that claim, they also said they believe they have one of the best game ever made.....Yes, they did.

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

The Op is obviously ignorant. immature or both.

No need to go on and on and on about a game you dont like. We get it.  Just dont play it. Cannot be any simpler than that.  But they feel the need to come here and protest. Im all for it. But please make sense out of your comments.  Your made none.

Hype is not a disease you catch that alters how you think.  Its excitement about something you like.  GW2 deserves the excitement (more so than others who have claimed it in the past).

Yes.  You can be excited about GW2 and then not like it.  It happens.  Its not the end of the world.  You dont have to wear a scarlet letter.  This whole concept of being 'let down' or 'hurt' because the game didnt meet your exepectations is ludicrous. You've liked every single game you ever played in your life? Please.

The excitement for GW2 is geniune because ANet is not trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I wasnt promised an MMO and got TOR (where you cant even openly explore) - and I paid for that dissappointment. ANet wants everyone to have fun with this game.  They have been nothing but consistent with this theme. The change is palpable.

You cant 'review' GW2 in 72 hours on an unfinished beta.  This is just to get your feet wet, and to countless thousands will be our first time 'touching' the game.

On the BETA page they list all of the problems that MAY occur because its BETA .... so please stop with "I tried it this weekend, this game sucks" diatribe.  Its not in its final form. Hell 2 of the characters arent even included.

Last. Support developers who try to give you what you want.  GW2 looks to deliver what *I* want.  Which hasnt been out in the MMOverse since.... I cant even remember.

You call the OP ignorant about going on about a game he doesnt like, then you turn around and start bashing swtor

umm, ok

I wasnt promised an MMO and got TOR (where you cant even openly explore) - and I paid for that dissappointment.

^-- Is not "bashing"  Can you explore space and visit a single other planet on your own?  Can you openly explore the planets you are on? I didnt see that.

Im not telling anyone DONT play TOR.  Its BROKEN.  TOR is EPIC FAIL. Stay away from TORTanic. I cant believe people are still there.  The subs are dying. Bioware sucks.

I have nothing against the title or the people who love this game.  Wish them the best.  And its not the first game I was disappointed in.  It happens.

What I DID say is *I* didnt like TOR.  And to the OPs point about FALSE Hype BioWare gave an impression that I didnt see in the game.  I dont see that with GW2.  And that DOESNT mean I think GW2 will be PERFECT. Or that everyone should PLAY THIS GAME!  Its going to have flaws like any other piece of software.  But its closer to EXACTLY what I want in a game than anything else thats out.  And Im not the only one who feels that way.

Dont misconstrue.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Every gamer is going to have their own priorities in how they weight a game. Mounts, seamless transitions, immersion, open PvP...you take for granted that these are equally important to everyone when they're not. That's why there are all kinds of games.

"Hype" isn't there to convince you that this is your kind of game. It's just a measure of how many other people think it is their kind of game. If you don't like it, don't sweat it. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your opinions.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Well... 

You haven't played it.

I did :)

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    It's just not a useful source of information, just blind excitement.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

I will be the FIRST person to admit I was wrong about GW2 if it turns out to suck lol

We will see tomorrow ;)

Right there with you good buddy ;-)

I cant wait for this game, but Ill take the blame if it's fail.  Easy.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by tixylix

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed. It's always the media going "how amazing is this" because they go to some controlled event and are told by the developer why this and that feature are so innovative. Then you get to play the game and realise the smoke and mirrors behind that feature and realise it isn't so great. I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it. PC Gamer even said it seems rather scripted in their playthrough of GW2 and didn't seem that enthusiastic about it.

Everything is warning me off like the horrible choice of races, I think they all look like they came from an Asian MMO such as AION, Tera, Arche Age or Lineage etc. They have that horrible rabbit looking race which annoys me, it's like what Final Fantasy does with some small midget race to try and be "cute" because I guess the culture over there loves that stuff. Then you have how you teleport all over the world, which really breaks the immersion for me and just feels more like a game than a world. You had them stupid looking teleport doorways which I don't understand why they're a colour in  wall.... looks more placeholder to me. They could just have a doorway where you can see into the next zone so it feels a bit more immersive. 

The worst thing of all is I thing all the classes really bland, I've watched countless videos of them all and everyone praising them for being so amazing and unique and yet they all sort of look the same. I mean without the "trinity" they all do the same thing and they don't really look all that unique either. When you play TF2 you even have a trinity and every character is really unique and sticks out. You have your favourite class but you love to play them all because they all have their own personality and are really different. You have the DPS classes, the tank classes and the healer but the difference is you don't need the trinity to win because it is twitch based so it requires skill to win. 

Every MMO where I've found the classes to look really bland, I find that I don't like it. I just end up levelling 4 or 5 characters to level 20 before realising I hate them all, they all feel watered down or the same and just get bored and quit. The best MMO for classes was WoW, every class felt so unique, so fun to play and they all looked different, you could tell what class someone was playing just by looking at them in a split second. I found myself playing every class because I loved them all and not because I was struggling to find one I liked.

There are no mounts which are something everyone likes to get, they're the ultimate loot and running around everywhere is so much more fun with a mount. There is no open PVP either, it's all battleground based like SWTOR was where you have them calling Ilum as World PVP when it isn't because it isn't...

I just find the whole game bland really, the story just doesn't excite me, the world just looks rather generic and the art style just looks like another generic fantasy Asian MMO. Yet I pre ordered the game because I've been waiting since 2005 for an MMO I liked, I even bought Dark and Light back in the day even though it looked like crap, people were hyping that game up massively too lol. 

Guess I'll see on Friday, though I bet I'll hate it and it'll be more money down the drain.... only good news is the login screen is nice lol. I hope I eat my words and it's the best MMO since WoW. It's just all the fans as well saying how amazing it is that makes me think even more that it isn't. Every MMO it's the same story where either they're excited to be the only ones in beta so they feel part of a club and have to defend it or they believe the media hype who only get to see it in controlled bursts. They always drive players away as well when they claim that everything they say is wrong.

Like I said I hope on Friday I'm eating my words.

Still there is nobody who force you to follow this game and give into hype or not, so whats your PROBLEM then?

You can watch plenty of gameplay vidoe's to form your own opinion about this game and read up previews if its something to your liking you go for it other wise move on seek somewhere else, so its up to you and ONLY YOU buying game and play it or  dont buy it and MOVE ON.

Its so SIMPLE why do you people having hardtime with new upcomming games is BEYOND me.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

"If you hype something and it succeeds, you're a genius - it wasn't a hype. If you hype it and it fails, then it was just a hype."

We all get swept up in the hype machine. Nobody is immune to that

<- Immune.

same here.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by LordDevil

The game is totally overhyped anyway.

I am pretty sure its not bad.. but who wants another fair pvp game with some battle grounds. Questing is all nice... but its limited till the end game.

I want a more dynamic game with open world pvp and some thrill to it. Hopefully at least Tera can give us that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Op: cut your losses. Ill give you $30 for your pre-purchase.
  • EatMyVeggiesEatMyVeggies Member Posts: 5

This is not HYPE. People have played it. Independent game reviewers (not media sites)  said it is good and it lives up to its promises. HYPE is what you would say about the so called "titan" or the "elder scrolls mmo". No news whatsoever about them and already people are screaming like 12yo schoolgirls. 

I repeat: This is not hype, it's word of mouth, and it's a result of the game's very good reviews from seasoned people. If you are not well informed about the game, which the majority of you people who create this kind of crappy threads, do not go on a rant like "im still not convinced". It sounds very ignorant and you make a fool of yourself. 

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Just remember the golden rule:

"Do today what others will not do so that tomorrow you will have what others will not have"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Its so SIMPLE why do you people having hardtime with new upcomming games is BEYOND me.

There's a second way to vote, if you can't do the homework that truly intelligent excercise of the franschise requires.  Find a well-meaning idiot, ask his opinion of the candidates, and vote the opposite way.  At the very least, you cancel out his vote.

People often come to this site in the hope that some magic beans will save them from consequences if they don't research their own titles...and to troll, of course.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by tixylix

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed.

- nah, everything is different. dynamic events, WvWvW (DAOC style), no gear grind, pvp-centric. everything.

Everything is warning me off like the horrible choice of races, 

- GW world has its own lore. Sylvari are different enough from elves, and Asura are different enough from gnomes to be called unique. Charr and Norn havent been done before. look pretty interesting to me.

The worst thing of all is I thing all the classes really bland.

- this is totally subjective. personally, i feel every class is super interesting, and this system is the best thing for gaming in a long time

There are no mounts which are something everyone likes to get

- most gamers actually dont give a hoot about RP. GW2's world is easily accessible, and immersive as is. no need for mounts. also, no mounts = more pvp.

I just find the whole game bland really, the story just doesn't excite me, the world just looks rather generic and the art style just looks like another generic fantasy Asian MMO.

- if u wanna see bland generic Asian, look at TERA. GW2 is anything but. again, subjective

Like I said I hope on Friday I'm eating my words.

- you will

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by EatMyVeggies

This is not HYPE. People have played it. Independent game reviewers (not media sites)  said it is good and it lives up to its promises. HYPE is what you would say about the so called "titan" or the "elder scrolls mmo". No news whatsoever about them and already people are screaming like 12yo schoolgirls. 

I repeat: This is not hype, it's word of mouth, and it's a result of the game's very good reviews from seasoned people. If you are not well informed about the game, which the majority of you people who create this kind of crappy threads, do not go on a rant like "im still not convinced". It sounds very ignorant and you make a fool of yourself. 

I think we've beat this to death already...verdict: you're incorrect

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

We will see tomorrow ;)

With all due respect to our illustrious evil science officer, I think its going to take longer than that. The new game smell alone will last it 3 to 6 months. That stuff is powerful. You can spray that stuff in a kids face before giving him a root canal and he'll tell all his friends how cool a root canal is and they should get one too.

Does that really represent if a game is good or not or exposes short attention span?  What? They supposed to pour fun into your hands while you sit there?

They give you a world. Play in it.  There are never boring things.  Just boring people.

Please don't fanboi in a reply to me. You forfeit all credibility when you do.

I haven't posted at all about whether GW2 is good or bad, because I haven't played it. But I know there will be tons of kids that play the first 3 to 6 months and tell everyone how its the greatest and then spend the next 6 months telling everyone how much it blows.

All you do in that post is look like someone willing to defend GW2 with no experience. Do you know what that is? Promotion based on ignorance. It's faith, and the worst kind.

Based on your rabid defense of something you haven't experienced, I am guessing you'll be a part of the bi-polar 3 to 6 month euphoric high and 6 month hateful crash afterwards crowd.

How would I know what FANBOI is to you?  I cant read your mind.  Perhaps you should start off your response with trying to understand the context of what I was saying rather than accusing.

I understood your point. Ill repeat mine.  Having kids saying it blows doesnt really tell me anything other than they lost interest.  What I would be akin to listening to is what about the game they didnt like.  Why?  Because it might just turn out that I enjoy what they dislike. Maybe it takes too long for them to level. Or they want to raid.  Or they want tiered gear.  Just saying something sucks doesnt speak to the quality of a title.

No one is saying if GW2 is good or bad. Or at least Im not.  Im saying Im excited about the prospect of playing something different closer to my taste.  No ones really played the game because its been under wraps.  Tommorrow is the first real "public" like beta and like I said in another post will be the first to say if it doesnt meet my expectations and WHY I feel so.

How can I defend something I havent played?  Please cut and paste something I wrote that says I defend the gameplay.  What I am saying and I think MOST are saying is that there is reason for there to be HYPE=Excitement about this game.  Just because you dont believe it or dont want to does mean it doesnt exist.  And it doesnt mean Im a "fanboi"   A Fanboi means you defend the game under any circumstance even when proven its broken. 

Im just excited to play this game because it looks FUN. More so than anything I have played.  If its not as fun as I expected?  Ill tell you that too.  Would that still make me a fanboi?   Stop with the labels.

My response wasn't a defense. My response to YOU was a question of if a person stops playing GW2 in six months as you stated is that a sign that its a bad game or a sign that the person (or KIDS your words not mine) had an attention deficit.  Which ties back to my earlier point in this post that you need a WHY or reason in order to defend a position that the game will be bad/fail/horrible//<insert your internet term here>.

And to your last smarmy remark. Ill be out of GW2 the minute I dont find it fun. Like every other title I have dropped in the past. I dont have to wait an obligatory 3-6 months.

Nothing Fanboi here. I just play games.  All of them.  Then stick to the ones I like.

How about you?

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Totally incorrect. Just look up the word and it'll put things into perspective.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by ElderRat

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The hype should not convince everyone, playing the game will....

well it convinced me I don't want to play with the community,  game could be excellent but in MMO's community is a large part.  But that is just me and my opinion.

you're basing gw2 community off of mmorpg.com in that case every mmo has a terrible community, i see guild wars 2 as having one of the best. pity you are too immature to look passed silly comments on forums.

Sorry,  I guess it is just that you took over MMORPG with tons of threads about a game you have not played yet(talking about prior to the beta) and I shuddder to think what it will be like after the beta,  any threads against this game are either flamed or locked into 1 or 2 anti-threads.  This is not the second coming of Jesus, it is just a game.  I also have to comment on the "It'll kill WoW comments - been said before, much as I dislike Wow it ain't been killed yet.  I see very little difference between the fans of GW2 and those I encountered in WoW and who are the reason I do not play WoW.  Now this is my opinion, I value community and what I have seen here tells me that GW2's community is not one I choose to play with.  That you chose to flame me over my opinion of the community pretty much reinforces my view of it.  This is my opinion. edit: oh calling me immature because I dislike the community here is pretty immature.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by waynejr2

Except life is change and you can't escape it.

You can't escape life?  Let me call my insurance dude, I've got some policies to cancel.

Eep, I hope the Pope accepts my collect call, too!

Life is change. MEANING: your experience in life is ever changing.  It's a phrase I have seen many times.  Defensive mechanicsms to "avoid change" due to fear of change tend to be neurotic.  You can't avoid change so learn to deal with it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

You don't understand the definition of hype. It doesn't matter if it is true, it doesn't matter if it is from experience. ANY positive word of mouth prior to a product becoming widely avaialble is hype.

People have heard the new band's CD and they think it is GREAT <- HYPE

The critic reviews are in on the movie opening on Friday and they say the action scenes are trippin! <- HYPE

The beta testers are leaking to the forums everything about the game is true and its going to be wild fun! <- HYPE

Hype sucks. It's just a whirlwind that makes people feed off of anticipation. It's not only when the good news is a lie, it's also all MASSIVE OVERKILL OF POSITIVE INFORMATION. this is the part that sucks. the MASSIVE part of it. Logging on and seeing how GW2 will blow everyone away is great. Loggin on and seeing that EVERYDAY for 16 months, blows.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm not trying to hate or troll, but I honestly disagree with just about everything the OP said in the first post. Absolutely everything.

I hope you feel better about it once you've tried it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

No, he's pretty much correct. I can say with full confidence that this game is not over-hyped. Everything promised is being delivered.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The hype should not convince everyone, playing the game will....

well it convinced me I don't want to play with the community,  game could be excellent but in MMO's community is a large part.  But that is just me and my opinion.

you're basing gw2 community off of mmorpg.com in that case every mmo has a terrible community, i see guild wars 2 as having one of the best. pity you are too immature to look passed silly comments on forums.

Sorry,  I guess it is just that you took over MMORPG with tons of threads about a game you have not played yet(talking about prior to the beta) and I shuddder to think what it will be like after the beta,  any threads against this game are either flamed or locked into 1 or 2 anti-threads.  This is not the second coming of Jesus, it is just a game.  I also have to comment on the "It'll kill WoW comments - been said before, much as I dislike Wow it ain't been killed yet.  I see very little difference between the fans of GW2 and those I encountered in WoW and who are the reason I do not play WoW.  Now this is my opinion, I value community and what I have seen here tells me that GW2's community is not one I choose to play with.  That you chose to flame me over my opinion of the community pretty much reinforces my view of it.  This is my opinion. edit: oh calling me immature because I dislike the community here is pretty immature.

Odd you're still here hanging around with us then. However, it's of course your call. You'll be missing out on a great game should you choose not to play.

Oderint, dum metuant.