Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Final Thoughts Before Launch

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Cassiopeian

I bought the game, but Frogster is going to cost the game a lot of European customers.

When I buy a game, I expect to get a confirmation that displays a basic grasp of the English language. Their 'support' is appalling. Their communication is awful.

For the love of God, find someone else to handle the EU. Have a look at the Tera EU forums (which I've never been able to post on, even though I bought the game). They are a cesspit of disappointment and anger towards Frogster.

Is this what you want your European players to see when they research the game before buying it? The EU forums give the impression of a game dead in the water before it's even released. It's atrocious PR in Europe...give them the boot or a serious ultimatum, but this'll cost you if you do nothing either way.

Did you make a separate account for the forums? 

• DetcelferDetcelfer Member UncommonPosts: 50

I've played both GW2 and Tera and can honestly say I enjoy Tera a bit more.   Graphicly speaking I even thought Tera was a bit easier on the eyes (but they're both gorgious).  

What people should really be asking themselves is do you want to play a game that you must manually target and use character physics to fight (a fairly novel idea for MMOs excluding Vindictus)  or do you want to take healers out of the equation.   Both games have a great deal to offer and I think it mainly boils down to taste.  

Odds are I'll be playing both but as things stand right now,  I'm enjoying Tera A LOT.  More than I did for SWTOR right out of the box so to speak. 

Tera Pros:

Deep enemy combat - much more involved than 98% of all MMO combat I have ever played and I've been around since EQ1.   Its just a fact.  Things start to get deep as soon as you hit your 20s and theres 60 levels worth!

Fantastic Artistic Design - For some the asian theme might turn them off and to be honest the Elin definitely went a bit far for me,  but that set aside there is a strong cohesive design throughout the game.  Its not patch work where spots look great and other locations do not.   Vast expanses of terrain to explore and many different themed environments should keep peoples eyes oogeling for hours.

Animations - I found this is one aspect of the game that truly stands out from most MMOs and its a welcomed change.  Your race can define your classes animations instead of it being the other way around.  This provides a level of feeling unique along with your racial choice.  Animations on a whole in this game are just fantastic.

Cons:

Soundtrack -   I found the soundtrack to be standard.   Not horrible,  not great.

Vanarch - The government concepts to the game while very interesting yields itself to the elitest mindsets.  But I suspect it'll create more griefing than anything else.   I doubt people want to be "ruled over" when they're trying to have fun in a game.

Weak Endgame - I wouldnt say its terrible when you factor in other MMO launches and how they gradually built up their endgames.  In fact I would say this games endgame is fairly standard.  But it could use some help.

Everyone should give this game a chance.  You might be suprised like I was.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I am looking forward to Tera and my wife is as well. If this was a F2P game we would have passed on it because F2P games other then GW are extremely costly compared to a sub based game.

To en masse you have two people who will be there from day one till the end. Congrats En masse!!
  • CassiopeianCassiopeian Member Posts: 14

NBlitz, yes I did. It doesn't work, whatever I do. I wish I had the support NA customers were getting. Love the game, but feel let down across the pond here (along with many others).

Detcelfer, your comments were very interesting. Like quite a few people it seems, I'm going to play GW2 and Tera (I don't get all the fights among forumgoers across the net between these games, as if you can't play both). It sounds as if GW2's combat won't be as much fun as Tera's (I completely agree that Tera's combat is the most fun I've had in MMO combat), but that GW2's questing/story will be superior. Sounds like a nice reason to play both. :)

• jaramigojaramigo Member UncommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by Czelaw

• Monthly Subscription: $14.99 

• 3-month Subscription: $35.85 ($11.95/month  = 20% discount)

• 6-month Subscription: $59.70 ($9.95/month = 34% discount)

• Yearly Subscription: $107.40 ($8.95/month = 40% discount)

heres the sub price list....@MoonBeans

right, but you forgot that you have to pay for the game:

$49.99 standard edition +1 month of game time

$59.99 collectors edition +1 month of game time

so, what you guys think about that? ... i really like this game, but my wallet says GW2 is the right choice for me

Originally posted by Cassiopeian

NBlitz, yes I did. It doesn't work, whatever I do. I wish I had the support NA customers were getting. Love the game, but feel let down across the pond here (along with many others).

Detcelfer, your comments were very interesting. Like quite a few people it seems, I'm going to play GW2 and Tera (I don't get all the fights among forumgoers across the net between these games, as if you can't play both). It sounds as if GW2's combat won't be as much fun as Tera's (I completely agree that Tera's combat is the most fun I've had in MMO combat), but that GW2's questing/story will be superior. Sounds like a nice reason to play both. :)

Hmm, that sucks. Have you visited http://tera-en.custhelp.com/    ?

It may be that there are issues at the moment. I'm reading about others having problems here and there.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I wish En-Mass well.

To those that came and read the article only to P.ss in the punch bowl: You should be ashamed. Go back to the games you enjoy. This article wasn't meant for you to say you want to play the game or not, or why you believe another game is better, but a developer's perspective after putting alot of effort into a game.

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

My wife and I played in the last beta weekend and were actually really surprised at how much fun we had.

We can't wait for the official release, and I wish En Masse all the best in the future!

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• DetcelferDetcelfer Member UncommonPosts: 50

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by jaramigo

Originally posted by Czelaw

• Monthly Subscription: $14.99 

• 3-month Subscription: $35.85 ($11.95/month  = 20% discount)

• 6-month Subscription: $59.70 ($9.95/month = 34% discount)

• Yearly Subscription: $107.40 ($8.95/month = 40% discount)
    eres the sub price list....@MoonBeans

right, but you forgot that you have to pay for the game:

$49.99 standard edition +1 month of game time

$59.99 collectors edition +1 month of game time

so, what you guys think about that? ... i really like this game, but my wallet says GW2 is the right choice for me

If only they were the exact same game, then I'd gladly buy GW2 over TERA, however the gameplay is very very different.  This is like comparing grand theft auto to oblivion, they're two different styles of game play.

However, as some may have forgotten, this isn't about GW2 vs TERA, so I'll go back on topic.

Thanks for everything en-masse, you guys have listened to every complaint and gone out of your way to make your customers happy, I can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us in the future. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Sephastus

I wish En-Mass well.

To those that came and read the article only to P.ss in the punch bowl: You should be ashamed. Go back to the games you enjoy. This article wasn't meant for you to say you want to play the game or not, or why you believe another game is better, but a developer's perspective after putting alot of effort into a game.

Excuse me, this IS a discussion forum.  Emasse presented their two cents and the posters here are entitled to post their own. So the only one that should be ashamed, is you for not grasping such an obvious fact.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I wish En-Mass well.

Excuse me, this IS a discussion forum.  Emasse presented their two cents and the posters here are entitled to post their own. So the only one that should be ashamed, is you for not grasping such an obvious fact.

Yep, yet you still have to stay on topic...

Which a lot of folks are not doing so...

Please check out the forum rules thanks.

I wish En-Mass well.

Knoxxer presented us with a well written piece and if someone wants to disagree with whatever he wrote, be my guest. 

What can we do with comments such as "Final thoughts? The game will be F2P within a year."?

Would you still call that an attempt at a discussion? No backing their "opinion". Wham bam thank you ma'am and you never hear from them again in the thread.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Honestly... The open beta for Tera blew me away. I almost didn't download it. I have not been anticipating the game at all. But wow... It was so much freakjng fun I preordered. I am not a diablo 3 hater at all but I found it even more fun that diablo... Which has been what I have been planning on playing. See you guys in game! Finally an mmo with engaging polished combat!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by Kehdar

Why can't they be the publisher for EU as well... yhy i must endure Frogster?

You can play either version of the game. If I lived in EU I would have played at least 1 of the US betas to see how the game played and if it played well I would play the US Version instead. You still have this weekend to try out the US Version.

I tryed some betas in the US unfortunately 200/250ms ping is not acceptable for me, the game does a nice job to mask the high ping but you notice it when you need to dodge fast.

Moreover I preordered a boxed CE version alraedy and i'm playing with a group of friends, i higly doubt they'll accept to move in the US. 

I'm pretty much bounded to that bunch of chimps of frogster.

Oh Kehdar....HAI....LOLCATS!!!!

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Is there a Lifetime Subscription for this game anyone?

OMG...Your picture:

I r stealingz it :)

• NitzleplickNitzleplick Member Posts: 9

I wish En-Mass well.

Their two cents? this is discussing Brian Knox's personal story about starting up Tera and what it means to him. It's shameful that this is the community that GW2 has created. The fanbase it's born. In the end a reflection of the company itself. And a shame on you for lacking the decency to know when and where is a time to argue, and when is a time to be respectful. Whether you like Tera or not, this is not about Tera, but about En Masse in general. And if you are so lacking in manners to hold your tongue for when it matters, than your parents clearly raised you very poorly. 

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

I really do dislike Frogster for bein such douchebags about their 'promised' PEGI 12 label. I know they r going to add the blood scale back in2 the game with 3 levels to choose from (in an incomming patch in the middle of may) (they also need 2 sort out the dreadful profanity filter which graced our client in OBT!!!) But the damage had already been done.

I will most prob play the month that came with the CE and leave it as that.

• RadiogirlRadiogirl Member CommonPosts: 16

Personally, I love the combat in this game. It's new (for me, at least), it's challenging, and best of all it's not entirely reliant on who's got the best gear and buffs/debuffs. That's huge for me.

Second, the graphics are as pretty as in any MMO I've ever seen. My toon has never looked so smokin' hot as in this game. I like that.

Third, the game makes you work for it, new content isn't just spoonfed to you, you have to go seek it out before you get the convenience of fast travel. I like that a lot.

Fourth, I like Enmasse. I'm a sucker for quality startups with good products having worked for a few, and Enmasse seems like a company thats truly committed to putting the interests of their players first. I like that too...as good as any game is, it can lose a lot of the luster if dealing with the company running it is a PITA.

Fifth, I just like the game. It seems to me that the original devs set out to build a better Aion and in that they've succeeded on virtually all counts. I do enjoy Aion but given the choice between the two games there's just no contest.

I bought the Collector's Edition and so I've got head start access but I may end up being away from my computer all weekend and miss most of it...damn you, RL!!...but I'll be there with bells on as soon as I can get in front of my PC Sunday night. Can't wait...this is gonna be good!

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Final thoughts before launch? When is it going to be free to play? I mean Aion was good until, you know what i mean, it went (free to play) :P

I retired retroactively..Haha

• NitzleplickNitzleplick Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Popple

Final thoughts before launch? When is it going to be free to play? I mean Aion was good until, you know what i mean, it went (free to play) :P

As long as NCsoft can keep buying viral marketers, they can keep bringing you entertaining posts such as this one. Interesting how those who made Aion are now making GW2, and they attack Tera for removing grind (I find that hilariously ironic)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Nitzleplick

I wish En-Mass well.

Their two cents? this is discussing Brian Knox's personal story about starting up Tera and what it means to him. It's shameful that this is the community that GW2 has created. The fanbase it's born. In the end a reflection of the company itself. And a shame on you for lacking the decency to know when and where is a time to argue, and when is a time to be respectful. Whether you like Tera or not, this is not about Tera, but about En Masse in general. And if you are so lacking in manners to hold your tongue for when it matters, than your parents clearly raised you very poorly. 

Oh give me a break, it is a dicussion forum, if you cannot grasp that fact then I feel sorry for you.  If your feelings are hurt by a little criticism of this game you need to find another place to post.  That is the reason most people come here to see what others feel about the game.

Sure, they have done a great job getting TERA ready for the western audience, but you also have to factor in that the korean version bombed because of a too fast leveling curve and lack of content.  Let's hope Enmasse has addressed these problems.  I wish Enmasse the best.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by EndDream

Honestly... The open beta for Tera blew me away. I almost didn't download it. I have not been anticipating the game at all. But wow... It was so much freakjng fun I preordered. I am not a diablo 3 hater at all but I found it even more fun that diablo... Which has been what I have been planning on playing. See you guys in game! Finally an mmo with engaging polished combat!

Same here.  I got a beta key for CB5 on a whim just because I was bored and played the game the entire weekend.  After a lackluster start (ugh, that starter zone), I was blown away by the world.  And. of course, the combat was a breath of fresh air.  So I told my friend who I had been playing SWTOR with to check out the OB with me and he fell in love with the game as well.  Both of us cancelled our TOR accounts, and I am not going to be pre-ordering GW2 since this game appeals to me more.  

As long as En Masse and Bluehole continue to work on improving the game, I think they've got a winner on their hands, even if the game ends up being strictly a niche title.

• mithranftwmithranftw Member Posts: 14
    Love the combat in the game, totally worth the cost to me!

• kanedaAkanedaA Member Posts: 66

after reading all these and played all the NA betas i say fck frogster

i cancel my pre order and bought the NA version

this company is great,they listen to the community..provides feedbacks,they are funny and much more.

EnMasse is an awesome company