Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Worst of Update 1.2: Legacy

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

As part of this week’s The List, we took a look at five of the most awesome aspects of Star Wars: The Old Republic Update 1.2: Legacy. Today, we’ll be taking a look at the opposite side of the coin and highlight a few of the worst aspects of the update.

BioWare has been aggressively courting both current and former subscribers with a number of initiatives, but the latest promotion was handled quite poorly. In order to celebrate the launch of Update 1.2: Legacy, BioWare announced that their most loyal subscribers would be awarded with 30 days of free game time for their dedication to the game. If this sounds like a great promotion it’s because it is, in theory. The problem was that BioWare defined these most valued or loyal subscribers as players that had level 50 characters, dividing the community into the haves and have-nots.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Worst of Update 1.2: Legacy.

Comments

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Wooo! Even MMORPG sees SWTOR is getting negative publicity. Yay!!

• Bicknell55Bicknell55 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Bravo! Excellent write-up. As I saw a few flaws as well. The 30 day act of extending your sub hurt a lot of folks. I talked to several folks who, even though they had the 6 month sub, did not get the extra sub just because they did not have a 50. They did have however, a lot of alts close to 50, but some were crafting or evaluating each race/story to see what they really wanted to stick with the most!  My wife was one of them; I had a 50.... just  who got an extra 30 days.... 

Thank you again for your reviews 

Bick

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

The Legacy Promotion was restricted to 50's because of the lack of things to do at 50, so its a bleed issuse.  They didn't tell people the pvp stuff wasn't going to be in the update until the day before.

Its hard to get behind a game when the company running it is so shady and underhanded. If EA treated their customers with a little bit of respect, I think it would be better for the long term health of this game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

As to the legacy unlock feature, another example of the author wanting everything now.  Having to work toward's any goal is too much work I guess for them.  The idea is to keep people in the game playing and having goals to reach that cannot be immediately satisfied.  Basically the author should be abashed they even mentioned this topic.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

I have 2 lvl 50's and been subed since day one and didnt get my free 30 days. I guess ill use there awful customer service and find out why.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

It sounds like they have good ideas but they fail in doing it right.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

As far as the want somethign now mentality, and working for a goal, I play games to have fun, if I want to work I got college, a career, a family, plenty of stuff to have to put real effort into.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Wait, I thought they changed the level 50 requirment to legacy level 6 and above?

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

lol whats wrong mmorpg.com bioscrubs/Etards got tired of   passing you guys money for good reviews so now you guys decide to get real stay classy guys :3 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by MikeB

As part of this week’s The List, we took a look at five of the most awesome aspects of Star Wars: The Old Republic Update 1.2: Legacy. Today, we’ll be taking a look at the opposite side of the coin and highlight a few of the worst aspects of the update.

BioWare has been aggressively courting both current and former subscribers with a number of initiatives, but the latest promotion was handled quite poorly. In order to celebrate the launch of Update 1.2: Legacy, BioWare announced that their most loyal subscribers would be awarded with 30 days of free game time for their dedication to the game. If this sounds like a great promotion it’s because it is, in theory. The problem was that BioWare defined these most valued or loyal subscribers as players that had level 50 characters, dividing the community into the haves and have-nots.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Worst of Update 1.2: Legacy.

Well Ill be damned!

Didnt think MMORPG had it in them to run an article that wasnt anything but positive toward SWTOR.

Good on ya MikeB

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

The republic armor sets are very ugly, comical even. I have never seen worse in any game. The cost of everything in the game is horribly overpriced. I remember getting 800k after questing through Voss and Corellia, thinking I was super rich. Then I went to pay for training and I was broke again.

I wonder if Pokket is still doing those runs on the livestream for SWTOR.

• QuintezQuintez Member Posts: 1

I defended this game for too long, I have finally given in to the fact that SWTOR is not what it was hyped to be. It's not eben half that..

• SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71

You forgot avout how they promised more crafting recipes and only delivered like 4 of them and being able to reverse engineer oranges items to get recipes off and well I could go on and on but Bioware doesn't really care.

So how many wanna take bets that they still think they have 1.7M subscribers?

• galdosgaldos Member Posts: 18

It's good to see MMORPG actually saying something negative about this game,  I did defend it for a wile but truth is it was all hype, Bioware failed to understand what fun endgame is and brought nothing new to he genre

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Is for anyone with a level 6 legacy, not just for the 50s. 

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The dead SWG Ewok ghost horde are baying for revenge.. can you imagine it? Dead Ewok spirits with blood spattered fanged mouths howling in unison?

Wouldnt that be something? If SWG winds up having had a larger following than SWTOR.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

The game has been out awhile and the advertising dollars have probably dried up some. So time for some " Real" reviews to come out.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Some typos and grammar mike but good feature!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

1. Armor - The models are terrible. Whoever designs their armor couldn't really get their finger on that iconic Star Wars feel, and as a result we got some weird Power Ranger villains.

2. Ranked Warzones - Dissappointing, defininately, and it caused half of my core group to quit even with the free month.

3. Legacy Unlocks - I honestly don't care about this feature. If it's something I want, then I'm glad it has a component that makes me work for it rather than just being given to me. For example, I'd love to make a Sith Pureblood Jedi. When I get around to actually making him, I'll have a good time working toward getting the money to buy the race unlock.

4. Rakghoul Pandemic - Didn't care at all about the event. I put in minimal effort and got my lightsaber crystal for PvP. For the PvE folks I guess it's a bummer, and if there were a PvP event I'd sure as heck want it to last longer than one week.

5. The Legacy Promotion - This was a fumble. My assumption is that they had tons of 50's hanging on for the ranked warzones, and since they dropped the ball on that they decided to use free game time to bait them into sticking around and keeping an active sub (possibly to inflate sub numbers, I won't speculate further on that, though). That explains their logic in giving it to level 50's only.

But jeez, guys, please hire someone who can think ahead and logically deduce how the playerbase is going to react to things like this.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

You should take your 5 best aspects and just make a 10 bad things about 1.2

Seriously, giving them credit for...oh...customizable UI is just plain crazy.

Maybe its actually a good thing IF its placed into perspective. SWTOR is such a bland game we are actually giving them credit for updating the game with a standard feature that other games come with.

Maybe in a year when a few people in charge are removed and replaced with someone that has RPG experience we can give them credit for that also...Who knows, maybe that person will understand that the "social" system is a complete JOKE...making people GROUP to get RPing gear/items and emotes is like rewarding PvP gear for killing PvE mobs.

And who the hell actually thinks its a good idea to introduce things like email boxes and a GTN for ships in a game that is sorely lacking in community...no really, lets make even MORE people never go to a hub to interact with other players!

Jebus, another few updates like this and it wont even need to be an online game anymore unless you want to do instances. Single player RPG with online capabilities.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Awesome!!!!*

*genuine
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by rygard49

1. Armor - The models are terrible. Whoever designs their armor couldn't really get their finger on that iconic Star Wars feel, and as a result we got some weird Power Ranger villains.

Its the Obi Wan Clownobi look