Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Weekend Event Survival Guide

ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/beta-weekend-event-primer/

GENERAL INFORMATION

• Don’t just skip through the questions after you design your character. Your answers impact your story and will also impact some NPC interactions in different areas.

• Guilds can be created the second you are out of the opening cinematic. Hit “G” to create a guild or to represent/stand down from a guild.

• The intro instance boss encounter WILL down you. This is so you can see how downed works. Even if you stay downed, the NPCs will win the encounter for you. For most classes, the 3 button will get you back up.

• Right away, hit H then select the PVP tab. Hit “Be in the Mists”. After you port, there will be an Asura Gate in front of you. Take it to Lion’s Arch. After this port, cross the bridge to Lion’s Arch. At the fountain make a left. Here there are Asura Gates to every major city. The gates to Asura and Sylvari land will be blocked. Port to each major city and get the waypoint for zippy travel around the world. (This of course will also let you choose your newbie leveling zone)

• There are no breadcrumbs and no quest hubs. You progress in this game by EXPLORING. Pick a direction that looks good and you will stumble upon adventure. Getting sidetracked is how you will spend most of your time.

• If you have no idea where to go, look for a scout. They are marked with binoculars. They will reveal hearts for you. Also sometimes NPCs will beckon to you or run up to you and say “hey jerky, help a bro”. Talk to these NPCs. They will reveal previously hidden dynamic events.

• Waypoints are graveyards. As you begin exploring and leveling, you want to collect waypoints as fast as possible. Before you start working on a heart or dynamic event, get the closest waypoint or you will be very sad when you die and have to schlep all the way back.

COMBAT

• Your weapon skill unlock makes progress by killing a mob. When you get a new weapon, grinding out the unlocks real quick will make for a more varied and strategic game experience early on.

• Your first skill is auto-attack. Everything else has a cooldown. Since you have a small number of skills, this means you can do something you’ve probably never done in an MMO: look up. The primary thing holding your attention should be where and how you are moving and tells from the mob. To take care of that, you’ve got to watch carefully.

• Circle-strafe is your friend.

• If you run up to a mob, usually they will pause for a split second to punch you or to wind up a big attack. Use this to your advantage.

• Look at your skill tool tips and check for conditions. Conditions are fight changers. Sure you can just spam 1 and win, but proper use of conditions will greatly increase your survival and speed of killing.

• If you pull off a combo (a special attack combining your skills with another players skills) you will see “combo” in the heads-up combat spam. Experiment with this for hilarity and hi-jinks. The easy combos involve a field + a projectile or a field + a jumping/leaping attack.

• Move, move, move!

• In-combat weapon switching unlocks at 7.

EXPLORING, EVENTS AND KARMA

• DO NOT RUN AWAY AFTER COMPLETING ANY DYNAMIC EVENT. This is the best advice I can give. Most of the time, after a dynamic event completes, the NPCs will chat for a minute and then another dynamic event will start. You owe it to yourself to hang out and see what the next bit is. If you stay in a place for 3 minutes or so and nothing happens, it is safe to move on. The world around will change A LOT. Whether you are there to see it, is entirely up to you.

• If you see a different looking dynamic event box that has a background and stays active in a wide area, this is the zones meta dynamic event and requires coordination over a wide area to progress. The end of these events are usually really really satisfying. For instance in the human zone, there is a gigantic scary netherworld monster.

• You will start getting karma quickly. When you fill up a heart, the NPC will sell you gear or other goodies for karma. DO NOT BANK KARMA. Keep in mind you aren’t getting gear quest rewards… because there are no quests. If a karma vendor has an upgrade for you, buy it then and there. This will insure that your relative power stays above the mobs you are fighting.

• There is no reason why you have to go to a higher level zone. You will automatically downlevel for an area and get appropriate rewards. If you finish a 1-15 zone, consider going to another 1-15 zone.

• Your 7, 8, 9 skills unlock at 5, 10, and 20 respectively. To get skills you need skill points. Do skill challenges for skill points. Every major city has a few skill points that you can just buy.

• Traits unlock at 11.

• You want to gather. There is no gathering skill. If two people hit a node, both get full reward. You can get upgrades for your equipment in the form of crystals from gathering. Even if you don’t intend to craft you should gather for the crystals. You will need a consumable to gather. Axes are for logging, picks are for mining, sickles are for herbs and veggies. Most merchants sell these.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
Waiting on: TESO
Next Flop: Planetside 2
Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Comments

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

Brilliant guide XD Will save most of us screwing anything up or getting lost. image

• mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

Awesome, thanks!

This will help so much, especially showing me how to get to each starting area so I can try them all :D

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Fantastic post.  Thanks for the link and the copy here. 

This is great advice just for playing the game, beta or not.  Good stuff.  Thanks OP.  Very cool read even though Im not in Beta eligible at the moment. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

They forgot the most important part:

When the servers go up for the first 5 minutes then crash for the rest of the day because everyone is hammering the server like bunnies in heat, put the gun down. Put the pills away. Step away from the ledge. It's not that important.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I read it and actually learned a few things so im glad I found it. 

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
  • kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Thank you sir!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The only thing I'd probably add to that guide, would be to keep an eye out for weapon merchants.

As a new player, it's very easy to assume that the only viable way to get good weapons is from random drops. This can make it appear difficult to find different types of weapons. In each zone there are a number of outposts, some will have a weaponsmith. One of the best things you can do early on is to go to one of these places, after doing a few events, is to go to these places, and by whatever weapons you can afford (and use).

This'll make it far easier to unlock your weapons early on. After that, you can choose to keep those weapons or not. I know on my warrior I had initially got frustrated I couldn't find a greatsword. When I discovered the weaponsmith it was like heaven 'oh yea! I can just buy one of these!'.

These weapons won't be quite as good as what you get from events, but they will be fairly close (similar damage, slightly lower stats). However, you can get even better gear from dynamic & meta events.

Originally posted by aesperus

The only thing I'd probably add to that guide, would be to keep an eye out for weapon merchants.

As a new player, it's very easy to assume that the only viable way to get good weapons is from random drops. This can make it appear difficult to find different types of weapons. In each zone there are a number of outposts, some will have a weaponsmith. One of the best things you can do early on is to go to one of these places, after doing a few events, is to go to these places, and by whatever weapons you can afford (and use).

This'll make it far easier to unlock your weapons early on. After that, you can choose to keep those weapons or not. I know on my warrior I had initially got frustrated I couldn't find a greatsword. When I discovered the weaponsmith it was like heaven 'oh yea! I can just buy one of these!'.

These weapons won't be quite as good as what you get from events, but they will be fairly close (similar damage, slightly lower stats). However, you can get even better gear from dynamic & meta events.

Nice information thanks.  I hadnt realized that myself and was wondering how long it would take me to find loot drops for all the weapons.  This tip fixes that problem so kudos to you.

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

Great guide, thanks

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

thanks for that guide.  reading over that has made me even more excited about the game!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Just found another beta guide over at http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/seven-tips-gw2-beta-participants

With the first public beta weekend for Guild Wars 2 set to kick off this Friday, this will be the first time many fans will have an opportunity to play the game. To help get you up to speed on some of the things that sets GW2 apart from traditional MMOs, we've put together a list of useful tips for first time players. While some of the info contained will be familiar to those of you who have been following the game closely for the past couple of years, you'll still want to keep these things in mind when you dive into the game this weekend.

--------

1. Buy weapons and use them early

Buy all the available weapon sets for your profession as soon as you can afford to. I went over this in greater detail in one of my beta impressions articles, and encourage you to read it if you haven’t already. The important things to note, however, are as follows:

GW2 Weapon Chart

• The image on the right lists the available weapons for each profession

• Following the tutorial you will own 1 weapon set, but will need to purchase the others, obtain them as loot, or select them as rewards from personal storyline missions.

• To unlock the skills for a weapon, you will need to actively use it in combat. Cycling through your weapon sets early will allow you to unlock all of the skills, and give you more options in combat.

Bonus tip for world PvP:

While you can dive directly into the Eternal Battlegrounds at level 2 if you want, I would still encourage you to obtain your weapon sets and get some skills unlocked first. You can typically unlock them all by level 5, or within the first hour of playing if you cycle through each new weapon as you obtain it.

While you can still unlock your skills within the Eternal Battlegrounds, I’ve found it’s best to go in with more options in combat so that you can contribute to your home world’s progress more effectively straight off the bat without having to keep making trips back to the vendors to buy weapons.

2. Learn the building blocks of builds

A given build in Guild Wars 2 consists of numerous parts, each serving a different function in your overall build. These are listed below in the order in which they’re unlocked in standard PvE progression:

• Weapon Sets – weapon sets will grant you the first 5 skills on your hotbar, mapped to the 1-5 keys on your keyboard. At level 7, weapon swaps will unlock for those professions able to do so in combat. This is done by pressing the tilde ~ key.

• Profession Mechanics – each profession in GW2 has a unique mechanic. In most cases you will need to unlock the full use of these mechanics either through active use or leveling. For example, the necro’s death shroud skills unlock through use similar to weapon skills, while elementalist attunements unlock through leveling.

• Healing Skill – the healing skill slot for all professions is mapped to the number 6 key. You will start out with one heal unlocked, but can purchase others as you earn more skill points.

• Utility Skills – these are mapped to the 7-9 keys, with all three being unlocked once you reach level 20. Utility skills need to be purchased via skill points, and can be freely changed while out of combat.

• Traits – at level 11 you will unlock the first tier of traits. More details on this process can be found below.

• Elite Skills – Last, but certainly not least, you will unlock your elite skill slot at level 30. Elites are more powerful skills, but also cost more than double the points of the most expensive utility skills. In general, you will probably need to complete multiple skill challenges prior to reaching level 30 if you want to purchase an elite as soon as the slot is unlocked.

3. Learn to dodge during combat

Dodging is a very simple, but extremely important part of combat in Guild Wars 2. Double-tapping the directional movement keys will allow your character to dodge in that direction, which can not only allow you to quickly move out of AoE damage, but avoid direct attacks as well. The better you are at knowing when to dodge, the more effective you will be in combat.

You’ll want to note that dodging expends Energy, which is displayed in a meter directly above the 6-10 skill slots, to the right of the health meter. This bar contains enough energy for 2 consecutive dodges, and automatically replenishes over time.

GW2 Skill UI Example

As you begin playing through your first events, get a feel for how dodging works, and how long it takes for the meter to replenish. You’ll also want to learn to read the animations for bigger attacks and when to dodge out of them rather than doing so randomly and expending all of your energy. Even if you’re dead set on diving directly into structured PvP, I would encourage you to get used to dodging first if nothing else. It will save your bacon, and is one of the things that will set the good players apart from the great ones.

4. Getting to structured and world PvP

Some players will want to dive directly into structured or world PvP as soon as possible. Once you’ve created your character you’ll need to play through the tutorial intro for your selected race which will get you to level 2. As soon as this is completed and you’ve collected your reward, you can dive directly into either type of PvP.

For structured PvP open your hero panel [H key] and click on the PvP tab, located on the bottom left. At the top of the window there will be two options: Play Now and Enter the Mists

• Play Now will automatically place your character in the next available match

• Enter the Mists will allow you to travel to the PvP lobby where you can adjust your build, change weapon sets, reset trait points, or even test out your builds on various types of practice dummies. This is suggested for first time players so that you can at least look over your current build prior to diving into the action.

GW2 PvP Screen

For world PvP the process is similar. Players travel to the Eternal Battlegrounds via Asura Gates, one of which is located in the Mists. As above, open the hero panel [H key] and click on the bottom left PvP tab. Select Enter the Mists at the top of the screen, and head to the Asura gate.

Alternatively, you can also use the Asura gate located in major cities, though travel through the Mists tends to be the quickest way to get there.

5. Traits unlock at level 11, but you can buy the Adept tome early

Trainers for each profession can be found in all major cities, as well as in the general proximity of where you will enter the world following the tutorial. These trainers will sell the tomes you will need to unlock traits once you hit level 11.

While you can certainly make a trip back to town via waypoints at the appropriate level, it’s a good idea to purchase the tome early and have it in your inventory. That way, as soon as you hit level 11 you can double click on the book, unlock the first tier of traits, and spend your first points.

If you want to view the traits for your profession before this point, don’t forget that you can travel to the Mists where you can also test new skills prior to spending points on them.

6. Try out skills before spending points in The Mists

As mentioned above, you can try out all available skills for your profession by heading to the Mists. Once there, your character will be boosted to level 80 with all skills and trait points unlocked. You can freely swap in new healing, utility, and elite skills here and test them out on various types of practice dummies found throughout the zone.

Since many skills can cost a higher amount of points (up to 7 for some skills) this will let you get a feel for what they do, or how they will interact with your weapon skills prior to committing to the point cost.

While there, you can also find underwater practice dummies that will allow you to get a better feel for underwater combat in a much safer environment. Likewise, this is a good place for rangers to try out each of the available animal companions to see how they work with various build concepts.

7. Have fun!

Guild Wars 2 is an amazing game, and while many players will busy themselves during the beta weekends with data collection, discovering whether their build theory-crafting works as expected, or other activities, don’t forget to have fun while you’re playing!

The GW2Hub team will be tentatively rolling on the Sorrow’s Furnace home world for this weekend’s beta event, and all are welcome to join us there. Even if you roll elsewhere, remember to have fun, and enjoy your time in Tyria!

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

Great info.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    • You want to gather. There is no gathering skill. If two people hit a node, both get full reward. You can get upgrades for your equipment in the form of crystals from gathering. Even if you don’t intend to craft you should gather for the crystals. You will need a consumable to gather. Axes are for logging, picks are for mining, sickles are for herbs and veggies. Most merchants sell these.

Just to correct this.  You don't need a consumable to gather, but if you have one and have it equiped you get better chance at rare stuff when gathering.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Good information because information is good.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

great post Zylaxx!!

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Great stuff OP, thanks for the tips!!!!

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Great Infos Zylaxx, thank you! :)

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Thanks much Zylaxx!   All good info...

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    Very nice Z! I will try to follow nr7 ;)
  • RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Its professions not classes. Going to talk about how to play Guild Wars 2 you should use Guid Wars 2 terminology, not other game's terminology.

• mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by RameiArashi

Its professions not classes. Going to talk about how to play Guild Wars 2 you should use Guid Wars 2 terminology, not other game's terminology.

This was copy / pasted from guildwarsinsider.com so don't go bashing the op for wrong terminology.  Also, profession and class are the same...who cares, so don't be a douche.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Thanks for those very useful primers, Z.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Prepared! All I need, coffee & computer