Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Everything about the build up to this game reminds me of every other MMO that has come out since WoW and failed. It's always the media going "how amazing is this" because they go to some controlled event and are told by the developer why this and that feature are so innovative. Then you get to play the game and realise the smoke and mirrors behind that feature and realise it isn't so great. I bet this "dynamic" content isn't so dynamic when the game is released, people get to play for longer and get bored and see patterns in it. PC Gamer even said it seems rather scripted in their playthrough of GW2 and didn't seem that enthusiastic about it.

Everything is warning me off like the horrible choice of races, I think they all look like they came from an Asian MMO such as AION, Tera, Arche Age or Lineage etc. They have that horrible rabbit looking race which annoys me, it's like what Final Fantasy does with some small midget race to try and be "cute" because I guess the culture over there loves that stuff. Then you have how you teleport all over the world, which really breaks the immersion for me and just feels more like a game than a world. You had them stupid looking teleport doorways which I don't understand why they're a colour in  wall.... looks more placeholder to me. They could just have a doorway where you can see into the next zone so it feels a bit more immersive. 

The worst thing of all is I thing all the classes really bland, I've watched countless videos of them all and everyone praising them for being so amazing and unique and yet they all sort of look the same. I mean without the "trinity" they all do the same thing and they don't really look all that unique either. When you play TF2 you even have a trinity and every character is really unique and sticks out. You have your favourite class but you love to play them all because they all have their own personality and are really different. You have the DPS classes, the tank classes and the healer but the difference is you don't need the trinity to win because it is twitch based so it requires skill to win. 

Every MMO where I've found the classes to look really bland, I find that I don't like it. I just end up levelling 4 or 5 characters to level 20 before realising I hate them all, they all feel watered down or the same and just get bored and quit. The best MMO for classes was WoW, every class felt so unique, so fun to play and they all looked different, you could tell what class someone was playing just by looking at them in a split second. I found myself playing every class because I loved them all and not because I was struggling to find one I liked.

There are no mounts which are something everyone likes to get, they're the ultimate loot and running around everywhere is so much more fun with a mount. There is no open PVP either, it's all battleground based like SWTOR was where you have them calling Ilum as World PVP when it isn't because it isn't...

I just find the whole game bland really, the story just doesn't excite me, the world just looks rather generic and the art style just looks like another generic fantasy Asian MMO. Yet I pre ordered the game because I've been waiting since 2005 for an MMO I liked, I even bought Dark and Light back in the day even though it looked like crap, people were hyping that game up massively too lol. 

Guess I'll see on Friday, though I bet I'll hate it and it'll be more money down the drain.... only good news is the login screen is nice lol. I hope I eat my words and it's the best MMO since WoW. It's just all the fans as well saying how amazing it is that makes me think even more that it isn't. Every MMO it's the same story where either they're excited to be the only ones in beta so they feel part of a club and have to defend it or they believe the media hype who only get to see it in controlled bursts. They always drive players away as well when they claim that everything they say is wrong.

Like I said I hope on Friday I'm eating my words.

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Okay.

*moves on*

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

Good for you

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

To be fair, he does have a point.

GW2 is hyped like crazy and that's never been a good thing in the past. Better to be realistic about it.

Might just be me but all MMOs seem a bit rubbish now. WoW is in major decline, SWTOR is dying super-fast, Rift is kind of meh, Tera just doesn't seem like it can be huge like WoW was, AOC LOTRO CoH etc are kind of stale...

So naturally everyone is looking to GW2 to give them that "first MMO" feeling again. And that's just not realistic.

• LordDevilLordDevil Member UncommonPosts: 253

The game is totally overhyped anyway.

I am pretty sure its not bad.. but who wants another fair pvp game with some battle grounds. Questing is all nice... but its limited till the end game.

I want a more dynamic game with open world pvp and some thrill to it. Hopefully at least Tera can give us that.

Currently playing: Archeage
    Waiting for: Black Desert

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

tell people this on Saturday

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

The main reason I'm even thinking about getting this game is that there's no sub costs, and it seems like the pvp might be good. If it had a sub cost I probably wouldn't bother.

The hype really is bad though.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

and why should we care?

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Well just wait and see what ppl will tell. My brother bought GW2 too and i will look over his shoulder to make my own opnion if its worth or not. Btw im the guy who thinks GW2 graphics looks so 2006. But tbh, not that i dont want GW2 to succeed (loved GW1 so much, it had everything i wanted), but im just sceptical in term of mmos. One youve played 10 different mmos, you played everyone for the next 100years. What changes is only the skin.

• alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

Have you played it?

*Edited in jsut because*

What can you lose out on, you buy a typical game and expect to get 30 hours out of it for £30-40, you'll play this for much longer, as and when you want to. Its a game that you will be able to pick up and put down for a very long time.. sure if you "powerlevel" then you could probably burn out on it... just dont play it like that...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Dont believe what people will say this weekend.. all the fanboys will be defending the game as much as possible even if its turns out like all the other super hyped games.. try it yourself and see at least after this weekend we can start talking about it haha.. unlike the guy above who just broke NDA by saying he played a beta weekend..

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Originally posted by Caldrin

Dont believe what people will say this weekend.. all the fanboys will be defending the game as much as possible even if its turns out like all the other super hyped games.. try it yourself and see at least after this weekend we can start talking about it haha..

Well this Forum is know for its critism. I think you will read more bad things than good things. If you enjoyed it though, i wouldnt recommend to come to this Forum. They may smash your vision of a great game. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Dont believe what people will say this weekend.. all the fanboys will be defending the game as much as possible even if its turns out like all the other super hyped games.. try it yourself and see at least after this weekend we can start talking about it haha.. unlike the guy above who just broke NDA by saying he played a beta weekend..

Unlikely. MMORPG.com forums are 5 troll to every 1 fan boy, especially considering most trolls are a fan boy of one rival game or another. It's far more likely you're going to be reading innaccurate negative reviews than inaccurate positive ones.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Jesus OP, the dynamic events ARE scripted!! :D

What did you expect, some AI that just do whatever the hell it feels like doing? :D

Dynamic events are (general speaking) chains of quest that arent insatnced for every player, but are public - so GW2 dont have to use phasing, the world "phases" for everyone based on whether they complete or fail or dont participate at all in an event, moving them upwards or downwards the event chain

After some time (depends on the grandness of the event chain) the whole system will return to some of it previous states and will repeat itself

The difference is that there is many of those events so when you revisit a zone you cannot know if the city will be burning/poisoned/attacked by bandits/just standing etc; 

Also you lost some credit when whining about mounts that just mean you' re another wow indoctrinated I-need-the-same-as-Im-used-to-in-other-mmos!! player

And you lost it completely when after bashing how bland GW2 is, you still preordering it - that just means you jumped on the hypetrain. I mean if you dont find it good dont buy it...why the hell would you..Guys like you are the reason the latest MMOs were so bad, because people like you bought them for the hypeimage

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

pretty sure my comments were general enough to not have broken any NDA

but yer just play it make your own mind up what have you got to lose? you'll get value for money thats for sure

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by tixylix

*snip*

First thing I'll say is, Guild Wars 2 looks forward to converting you. Second thing I'll say is, get your facts and lies straight after the beta ends because *straightens tie* we'll be watching you.

This is not a game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

OP look forward to hearing how you feel after this weekends event, going in with low expectations is better than going in with overly high expectations, less chance of being disappointed.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmm, i am just plain sick of feeling i need to defend the game anymore, it speaks for itself. Call video proof and previews by respected game bloggers/reviewers hype all you want but its there and as i said it speaks for itself. 

If you do not feel this game is not for you at this moment why in the world would you pre-purchase it ? 

Comes across as attention mongering, in hopes you could start a flame war and be the OP of it. I won't flame you or any others for feeling this way, you have every right to, but i will be flabbergasted at you for buying a game you seem to dislike so much.

I for one cannot wait for Friday April 27th 2012 @12:00pm PST.  Then i will know how justified i am in my view of Guild Wars 2 and ANet.

By the way, if it sucks as much as those who have posted in this thread claim it to, i promise to eat my words and come back here to state how wrong i was and how terrible it is. Course i really do nto see that happening because i already know how great it is beause of all the evidence i have witnessed.

Lolipops !

• fustermanfusterman Member Posts: 5

I honestly get where the OP is coming from. MMOs have naturally spelled their own doom as of late with the overhype followed by huge nujmbers followed by content that cant support the huge numbers. 

GW2 has been and will continue to be hyped. The difference though, is that ArenaNet continues to shed light on MORE content whereas other mmos would hype just a few elements. Example, AoC hype was revolutionary combat system, large scale pvp, and a mature setting. However as beta testers found out, a lot of the content Funcom hyped was still broken. SWTOR like wise hyped to no end the fact that the game had a revolutionary full voiced story, crew skills, and world pvp. Beta testers soon learned that the crafting was bland, the fully voiced story was repetitive, and world pvp had balance issues.

So far the majority of beta testing for GW2 has revelead a large world that will entertain for a loooong time. ArenaNet is trying to build a fun game, not a wowkiller. So all their focus is towards making the game large and engrossing while still being fun. They don't have to worry about subs so they aren't going to be using the carrot on the end of a stick approach.

Lastly you talk about mounts...I'm glad there are no mounts. I hated in WoW how you had to spend so much time and money to acquire a mount just so you weren't gimp. And if you would have ever played GW, you would know that the fast travel system is much more fun than riding a mount everywhere.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

they actually have stated that they intend to outdo WOW.

but..

the notion that some mysterious MMORPG will emerge from the shadows someday with no hype, fanbase, or previous marketing and just take the MMO world by storm saving us all from bland games is romantic.  mostly though this notion is absurd, it is entirely plausible that the next greatest game will be marketed, advertised heavily, have a reasonable hype rating, and a fanbase just dying to log in on release day.

WOW did not come as a surprise to me or most of my guild.  most of us had it preordered before release.  I understand if some of you are young and do not remember but many of us almost couldn't bear waiting to play the Blizzard MMO.

then there comes the issue of success. many games are successful and have a loyal and large fanbase but are still called failures by much of the community.  even WOW, the most successful MMO to date, has many people who refer to it as a failure or a "bad game."

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I find it hilarious that nobody is able to give any serious counterargument to the OP.

I was kind of hoping *someone* would be able to explain why GW2 is the second coming of Chri ... err the super MMO, but apparently nobody really is.

Personally I was bored to death with GW1 after 3 days or so playing. I dont see how GW2 will be any different in this respect.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

OP why even bother making this thread, when you clearly don't like the game?

Why would you waste your time telling ppl that you think it's hyped?

Yes the game is hyped. And yes other mmo's might failed. And i really don't care!

I haven't preorded mmo's for a long time now, knowing alot of them would fail. But ia actually preorded GW" because i think the game bring us something new.  And i really don't care about the hype, the trollolollololol's and ppl like you. 

If you don't like thye game, then leave it.. You gor a free choice. 

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Originally posted by Adamantine

I find it hilarious that nobody is able to give any serious counterargument to the OP.

I was kind of hoping *someone* would be able to explain why GW2 is the second coming of Chri ... err the super MMO, but apparently nobody really is.

Personally I was bored to death with GW1 after 3 days or so playing. I dont see how GW2 will be any different in this respect.

mostly due to the excess of information out there on why we should be excited.

a simple google search for "why should i play GW2" goes to 2 videos explaining this very thing.  laziness or trolling is the only reason to ask such a well known and absurd question.

whether you agree with the arguments or not on why the game will be great, they are well known and easily obtainable.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Unlikely. MMORPG.com forums are 5 troll to every 1 fan boy, especially considering most trolls are a fan boy of one rival game or another. It's far more likely you're going to be reading innaccurate negative reviews than inaccurate positive ones.

There are plenty of trolls, this is true...However there has always been a phenomenon around here before a game (especially during beta) where people post raving reviews about a new game. During the beta of SWTOR and even after it first released, there were still tons of reviewers posting great impressions how it brought something new and amazing to the genre. There are far more trolls after a game has released than there are before hand, and there are by far more fans/fanbois in hope of a new game in the wake of the hype. This was true for SWTOR, and it is true again for Guild Wars 2. Simply take a look at the forums lately, every second thread is about Guild Wars 2, and for the most part it's been positive except for a few nitpickers.

I pre-purchased the game, and I am with the OP...I'm certainly not convinced about the hype. I think anyone who is could be setting themselves up for disappointment. I will be pleasantly surprised if the game lives up to a fraction of the hype however.