Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2020 is the new golden age of MMO

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Why 2020?

Recycle formula, same ol same ol, It takes years to weed that crap out.

So if you are looking for a MMO that suits you, sorry buddy you have atleast 5 years waiting on you, but sadly 8 years is more accurate.

Enjoy the dark ages of MMO, bunny hopping between MMOs hoping for that big buzz journey has just begun.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Speak for yourself dude. Avid Eve Online player here, and loving every minute of it! Probably the only game that is the complete polar opposite of a mindless WoW clone, and an actual challenge.

Where's the any key?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Speak for yourself dude. Avid Eve Online player here, and loving every minute of it! Probably the only game that is the complete polar opposite of a mindless WoW clone, and an actual challenge.

Thanks for proving my point :)

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Torgrim

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

Thanks for proving my point :)

Lol, touché.

Where's the any key?

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I disagree. Planetside 2 is going to come out way before 2020.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• LEmmopeasantLEmmopeasant Member Posts: 46

If you believe there's nothing good to play now, why will it be any different then? Won't anything that comes out in 2020 be recycling all that's been introduced in 2012-2019?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by LEmmopeasant

If you believe there's nothing good to play now, why will it be any different then? Won't anything that comes out in 2020 be recycling all that's been introduced in 2012-2019?

Like everything else in the world will evolve over time and improve, so will MMO.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Watching a couple of games I'm looking forward to in the future. Sure they won't be out THIS year but they will surely be out long before 2020. I guess it depends on what type of game you are wanting.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

guild wars 2 harp darp derp herp guild derp wars 2 herp hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!111!!!11 droooooooooooolllllll

~gw2 fanboi

• DecemvirusDecemvirus Member Posts: 52

Haha, well I think that MMOs might not change, but computers will and maybe in 2020 we'll have popular virtual reality and be able to live our own characters, even though it will still probably be with the same ol combats, same ol systems and same ol gear grind (maybe at least then we get to really feel that gear almighty power who knows?)

If you're too skeptical, just remember what would you say back in 2005, when you had that ugly Nokia Cellphone, if I told you in 2012 people would be roaming around with a touch screen computer that has total wireless internet and can even play MMOs graphically better than the ones you played back at that time :D

"You know, this place makes me wonder. Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158

Originally posted by stephanrb

Haha, well I think that MMOs might not change, but computers will and maybe in 2020 we'll have popular virtual reality and be able to live our own characters, even though it will still probably be with the same ol combats, same ol systems and same ol gear grind (maybe at least then we get to really feel that gear almighty power who knows?)

If you're too skeptical, just remember what would you say back in 2005, when you had that ugly Nokia Cellphone, if I told you in 2012 people would be roaming around with a touch screen computer that has total wireless internet and can even play MMOs graphically better than the ones you played back at that time :D

this... i hope i don't have to wait forever for virtual reality mmo...

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I have a bit of a hope there will be a valid successor for Vanguard until 2020, with properties like having good, sportive PvP, and making the crafting sphere more interesting (right now it got dimished in usefulness because quest and raid items are too powerful).

Haha, well I think that MMOs might not change, but computers will and maybe in 2020 we'll have popular virtual reality [...]

Virtual reality exists since the 80s, or maybe even earlier - you only need to get the (expensive) hardware for it.

Also, moore's law (computers double in power every 2 years or so) no longer applies, since we have hit the physical frontiers for this development. Thus the speed increase of computers has massively slowed down.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by Adamantine

Virtual reality exists since the 80s, or maybe even earlier - you only need to get the (expensive) hardware for it.

Also, moore's law (computers double in power every 2 years or so) no longer applies, since we have hit the physical frontiers for this development. Thus the speed increase of computers has massively slowed down.

This always makes me sad....quantum computing, where the hell are you!!!?

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• DecemvirusDecemvirus Member Posts: 52

I have a bit of a hope there will be a valid successor for Vanguard until 2020, with properties like having good, sportive PvP, and making the crafting sphere more interesting (right now it got dimished in usefulness because quest and raid items are too powerful).

Haha, well I think that MMOs might not change, but computers will and maybe in 2020 we'll have popular virtual reality [...]

I never said virtual reality didn't exist. I mentioned that by then, with the blessings of the thunder gods, we could have popular virtual reality.

pop·u·lar  (pimagepimageyimage-limager)

adj.

1. Widely liked or appreciated: a popular resort.

2. Liked by acquaintances; sought after for company: "Beware of over-great pleasure in being popular or even beloved" (Margaret Fuller).

3. Of, representing, or carried on by the people at large: the popular vote.

4. Fit for, adapted to, or reflecting the taste of the people at large: popular entertainment; popular science.

5. Accepted by or prevalent among the people in general: a popular misunderstanding of the issue.

6. Suited to or within the means of ordinary people: popular prices.

7. Originating among the people: popular legend.

[Middle English populer, commonly known, from Old French populeir, of the people, from Latin populimageris, from populus, the people, of Etruscan origin.]

popimageu·lar·ly adv.

Also, what about this Sony Personal 3D viewer? Anybody heard about that?

"You know, this place makes me wonder. Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?"

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Virtual reality? Yeah, no.

I remember in 99 thinking "Wow, I can't wait in about 10 years when MMO will be super duper graphics and very minimum lag in PvP". Well, this hasn't exactly worked out outside the graphics, and even a lot of times those aren't anything to scream about.

I'd say by 2020 3D may be a more common thing. I don't see a need for it right now myself.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The new age is starting right now. Planetside 2 and Dust 514 mmofps games and Guild Wars 2 that defies existing boring game mechanics. Also Undead Labs zombie console only mmo because it is specifically being tailored for the console instead of some crappy port.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I never said virtual reality didn't exist. I mentioned that by then, with the blessings of the thunder gods, we could have popular virtual reality.

adj.

2. Liked by acquaintances; sought after for company: "Beware of over-great pleasure in being popular or even beloved" (Margaret Fuller).

4. Fit for, adapted to, or reflecting the taste of the people at large: popular entertainment; popular science.

5. Accepted by or prevalent among the people in general: a popular misunderstanding of the issue.

[Middle English populer, commonly known, from Old French populeir, of the people, from Latin populimageris, from populus, the people, of Etruscan origin.]

popimageu·lar·ly adv.

I think we're already in an early phase of "popularized" VR, and I hope to see it continue with more fleshed out features as it progresses.

We have the rising popularity of motion control with the Wii and the Xbox 360 Kinetic, we have BIG advances in home-use 3D technology, and touch screens are hopefully going to become more popular and more affordable.

I think it's a matter of just a few more years before we see more integration into these mediums, and hopefully some impressive crossovers, too.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Like everything else in the world will evolve over time and improve, so will MMO.

You really posted that. Last 2 decades the world has not evolved.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

Originally posted by Thorbrand

You really posted that. Last 2 decades the world has not evolved.

Define evolved.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

That's what I thought back in 2001 ish and look at what we got now. Devolved is more like it, graphics have improved tremendously but for some reason gameplay has not. Gone is any sort of depth like we had back in the old days. Even single player RPG's don't come near the depth that they once had. And I must agree with above reply that EVE Online is prob the last true game that has retained that depth. Even though I can never play EVE more than 2 or three months at a time I always seem to return 2-3 times a year and have since 2004. EVE is a game that can be what you want it to be provided you put into it what you want . Very surreal, I find myself imagining such complexities that would be possible out in the far reaches of the universe as I play. Very mental environment. BUt so many people that are used to todays sub-standard gameplay fails to realize the possibilities that EVE has to offer because of thier lack of social and communicative skills that EVE requires. In-game chat in todays MMO's is becoming almost non-existant. Being social and actually chatting with fellow pilots in EvE is a must for players to realize what is possible in EVE. Those who "get it" and seek knowledge and are not afraid to communicate with fellow players and have patience will be treated to a mind boggling experience within the sandbox that is EVE Online!

Watch the video >> http://trial.eveonline.com/en/freetrial.aspx?aid=%25paid=!;

No other game today even comes close to this kind of depth!

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by BartDaCat

adj.

popimageu·lar·ly adv.

I think we're already in an early phase of "popularized" VR, and I hope to see it continue with more fleshed out features as it progresses.

We have the rising popularity of motion control with the Wii and the Xbox 360 Kinetic, we have BIG advances in home-use 3D technology, and touch screens are hopefully going to become more popular and more affordable.

I think it's a matter of just a few more years before we see more integration into these mediums, and hopefully some impressive crossovers, too.

Sorry but in my opinion the Wii and the Kenect (or whatever it's called) is not even a video game system it is nothing more than a "gimmick" and there is no way in hell I will ever play something that requires me to jump around in front of my television like an idiot. And if I did I would definetly pull down the shades and turn off the lights and pray to god no one ever finds out I played the damn thing...I would be so embarassed to even admit it.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Wrender

That's what I thought back in 2001 ish and look at what we got now. Devolved is more like it, graphics have improved tremendously but for some reason gameplay has not. Gone is any sort of depth like we had back in the old days. Even single player RPG's don't come near the depth that they once had. [...]

Agreed.

Baldurs Gate 2 > Neverwinter Nights 2 > Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic > Dragon Age: Origins

And there is no end in sight. The D&D roleplaying games just seem to get worse and worse over time.

Thats why even 2050 there might still not be a valid successor to Vanguard. Complexity and depth is just not what companies aim for anymore.