Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 max server populations?

garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I'm trying to guesstimate how many folks will be in the beta in NA.   Anet has 24 servers listed for NA.  

Anyone have an idea of how many players per server?

Comments

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I heard that if a server overflows you'll be able to get sent to a temporary server meant to handle the overflow of players. While in the temporary server you'll get put in a queue to join the actual server. A max population might not really matter for the PvE and structured PvP parts of the game.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Quenchster

I heard that if a server overflows you'll be able to get sent to a temporary server meant to handle the overflow of players. While in the temporary server you'll get put in a queue to join the actual server. A max population might not really matter for the PvE and structured PvP parts of the game.

That is a great way to handle overflow.

What do you think would be the maximum number of players per server?  

I have no idea if there is maximum server size.  I always imagined about 3000 players.

• anandaananda Member UncommonPosts: 45

Some info here (not sure how reliable though):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games#Statistics_table

I think they are probably aiming for a rather lower number of population per server for this beta, to minimize lag, since they haven't finished optimizing the game. Also, the players this time are mostly the people who have already bought the game mostly on faith just to get into this beta, so I think a lot will be playing for most of the weekends (planning to clock in 30-40 hrs myself). So number of online players may be very close to total number of registered players on that server.

All in all, I'm guessing around 5000 players per server. That would be around 250k pre-purchase, which is roughly my guess as well.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Ignore me, thought you were talking about zone population caps

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• WooShooWooShoo Member UncommonPosts: 33

I think there are too many variables to consider, but mostly, it depends on the quality of servers they are using and the compression/stability with which they feel comfortable.  Every MMO starts out conservatively then packs more and more players as they get a better idea of how to manage the stability of the servers.  Again, not knowing what equipment they are using, I would guess that 5,000 players per server would be a conservative goal.

Originally posted by WooShoo

I think there are too many variables to consider, but mostly, it depends on the quality of servers they are using and the compression/stability with which they feel comfortable.  Every MMO starts out conservatively then packs more and more players as they get a better idea of how to manage the stability of the servers.  Again, not knowing what equipment they are using, I would guess that 5,000 players per server would be a conservative goal.

Wow...that's more players than I thought would be on a server.

I did research the net, to get an idea of server load, but I didn't find much.   thanks much for the replies all.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by garretth

I'm trying to guesstimate how many folks will be in the beta in NA.   Anet has 24 servers listed for NA.  

i've been guesstimating too.  and as of a few hours ago,  131k  had viewed the "getting started"  link on the gw2 forum to access the download. 

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by ananda

Some info here (not sure how reliable though):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games#Statistics_table

I think they are probably aiming for a rather lower number of population per server for this beta, to minimize lag, since they haven't finished optimizing the game. Also, the players this time are mostly the people who have already bought the game mostly on faith just to get into this beta, so I think a lot will be playing for most of the weekends (planning to clock in 30-40 hrs myself). So number of online players may be very close to total number of registered players on that server.

All in all, I'm guessing around 5000 players per server. That would be around 250k pre-purchase, which is roughly my guess as well.

Great link...thanks!

Originally posted by brody71

i've been guesstimating too.  and as of a few hours ago,  131k  had viewed the "getting started"  link on the gw2 forum to access the download. 

Good idea!

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by brody71

Good idea!

If anything, a the very least, cause I never viewed it and I already got my GW2 beta client ready to go. What are the average sizes of AAA mmo game servers? That would probably a more reliable count. If there are 24 servers and you can fit 5k per server... you got 125k. Any idea as to the average size of a server?