Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 Games in One - Which will you play?

Comments

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Umm, that makes 0 sense.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Originally posted by Archaegeo

Umm, that makes 0 sense.

Ok, I will explain.

You say GW2 is multiple games in one, because you can level by taking part in the PVE content, and only the PVE content (as in, going out killing mobs, questing), but you can also level by only taking part in PVP content.

With me so far?

With say, V:SoH, you could level by taking part in the PVE content and only the PVE content (as in, going out killing mobs, questing), or you could level by taking part in the crafting content and only the crafting content.

Same with EQ2.

So, if that means according to you GW2 is more than one game, so are some other MMOs.

Personally, I dont agree, I think they are all just one game, with different activites available to get you from creation to cap depending on your preference.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Ahh,

But in EQ2, you cannot level through PvP alone.  Also, if you levelled via crafting only, your just a crafter, you still cant fight.

V:SoH does have the diplomancy/crafting/fighting thing going on, and it is almost 3 game, save that it lost development and diplomacy never got the development it needed.

GW2 though, no matter if I PVE, Structure PVP, or WvW, my actual character adventure level is going up, and I am gaining gear, and could swap to one of the other games and do as well (minus knowledge of how to fight in its mechanics) as if I had levelled up there.

Hence saying GW2 is three games in one.

• FeudalismFeudalism Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by DarkPony

Structured pvp still at 0%. Good ...

DEATH TO PVP IN A CAN IN MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER GAMES!!

I normally disagree with pretty much everything you say Pony image but in this case I dont lol.

Structured PvP in a Warfront/Battleground scenario will hopefully go the way of the Dodo, I feel it has added greatly to the woes of MMO's since FOR-FREAKING-EVER.

Quit making these statements because you should know by now that Arenanet is in charge and doing things differently. The structured PvP in GW2 will NOT have any adverse effects on the other aspects of the game. Everyone in SPvP is boosted to max level and will choose from a pool of equal gear. What goes on in each instanced-structured PvP match stays there and effects NOTHING outside of it. So stop being such a downer on what will be a core aspect of this game. PvE and WvWvW will not be harmed by this.

It's a feature that you are in no way obligated to play. Finally, since it won't hurt the game in the way Blizzard did with resil/arena in WoW, it should not bother you. I look forward to competitive 5v5 matches.

• teethteeth Member Posts: 67

Doing all three, equally.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Only thing I care about in the beta is gathering as much WvWvW data as I can.

The rest I want to save for launch!

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Considering this isn't the first game to offer more than one of these components why in the world are we posting that this particular game is "3 games in one"???

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Feudalism

I normally disagree with pretty much everything you say Pony image but in this case I dont lol.

Structured PvP in a Warfront/Battleground scenario will hopefully go the way of the Dodo, I feel it has added greatly to the woes of MMO's since FOR-FREAKING-EVER.

Quit making these statements because you should know by now that Arenanet is in charge and doing things differently. The structured PvP in GW2 will NOT have any adverse effects on the other aspects of the game. Everyone in SPvP is boosted to max level and will choose from a pool of equal gear. What goes on in each instanced-structured PvP match stays there and effects NOTHING outside of it. So stop being such a downer on what will be a core aspect of this game. PvE and WvWvW will not be harmed by this.

It's a feature that you are in no way obligated to play. Finally, since it won't hurt the game in the way Blizzard did with resil/arena in WoW, it should not bother you. I look forward to competitive 5v5 matches.

While under the effects of Anets charm I would agree but I still feel that structured PvP in an instanced battleground style area has led to the decline of world PvP in every themepark since WoW.  I still think GW2 would be better off without stuctured PvP.  It is one of the few things I disagree with Anet about with the direction they took GW2.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

While under the effects of Anets charm I would agree but I still feel that structured PvP in an instanced battleground style area has led to the decline of world PvP in every themepark since WoW.  I still think GW2 would be better off without stuctured PvP.  It is one of the few things I disagree with Anet about with the direction they took GW2.

Mmm... but i LIKE the way they did structured PvP for GW2.  Here's what separates it from structured PvP in other games, and why WvW should still say fairly heavily populated (Unless it sucks)

1.  You cannot take your PvE character/gear (Other than appearance) into structured.

2.  You cannot take any structured awards back to PvE (Except titles, I suppose)

3.  All servers filter into the same structured match list, so they can get away with few people (per server) doing structured.

4.  WvW is the only way you can level up and get awards while doing PvP.

5.  WvW has no level barrier, or level separation... everybody from 1-80 is in the same maps.

6.  WvW combines the PvP population of 3 different servers into one fight.

7.  You can use the WvW map to see where fights are easily.

Honestly, they're two very different types of PvP.  Usually people do structured over open world because it's a more efficient way to earn rewards, and you're more likely to actually get a fight.  The first one isn't true at ALL, and Arenanet has gone a long way towards trying to fix two.

With the way it is, they're catering to two different sorts of people, and I for one am glad they're doing structured.  Since it caters to what I want to do sometimes (Obviously not catering to you, haha)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

World PvP could provide the buzz of say a crowd at a concert (edit: Well not THAT buzzy, but *cough* "up there" :o), sorta the ideal of mmorpgs. if you win and it works out suitably carnage and chaos : ) But tbh, I'm really interested in the lore and personal story instances as well. The world building is really nice as background to go through, a lot to slow down and appreciate.

3 games in 1. Good title.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Feudalism

lol guys, there is enough pvp for everyone. Its obvious you are not a fan of structutred pvp, but removing it is not the solution. Other developers slack on world pvp because its harder to implement easily, unlike structured where you can just add some arenas and say you have "balance".

Anet decided to do balanced structured pvp in GW and they took on that task again in GW2 as well as world pvp, just be gratefull its in there image

• SlheyasSlheyas Member UncommonPosts: 83

That's what I'll do!

PVE is way too important to waste my first experience on a character that's gonna be deleted once the beta week-end ends.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I think i'll jump in any of them depending on my mood, and what is happening. I'm pretty sure when WvW will bother me, i'll just jump in competitive pvp map without any problem if i feel so, i have no complex of any sort here, especially because the fps like map type of game is really something i always liked. In fact a long time i preferred fps over rpgs, especially during the Quake era, now i'm more of a mmorpg gamer. But i'll gladly play both. And ye, pve for my relaxing time. Hum that really sound sweet.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I'll try to spread my time with everything.  My friend will be living in pvp though, because she hates pve. Haha.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

well the only reason i wont play  Structured PvP its because its only 5 v 5, give me a map with 10 v 10 or 15 v 15 and i will play , its just boring with only a few people , its reming me to much of wow arena, because of the 5 v 5 part,

BG in wow are maybe not the best stuff but i love Warsong because of the capture the flag ,

pve and WvW is my place for GW2 unless there is bigger capacity of player for  Structured PvP

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by sk8chalif

well the only reason i wont play  Structured PvP its because its only 5 v 5, give me a map with 10 v 10 or 15 v 15 and i will play , its just boring with only a few people , its reming me to much of wow arena, because of the 5 v 5 part,

BG in wow are maybe not the best stuff but i love Warsong because of the capture the flag ,

pve and WvW is my place for GW2 unless there is bigger capacity of player for  Structured PvP

Structured PvP matches can be from 1v1 to 10v10

It's just all tournaments/ranked matches will be 5v5

... but if you want a 10v10 thing for fun, go for it! :D

Am I wrong and you cannot level up via structured PvP?  I know you can WvW, and PVE of course, but I thought you could PvP as well.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I will mostly pve and enjoy the large scale pvp

I miss larger scale objective based pvp where teamwork and success yields rewards along with consequences. 

I enjoy action based mmo games with weapon based combat.

I hate open world pvp in games with levels because you have to get to max level in order to compete properly.

I hate "twinks" that camp my leveling areas because I am an easy target.

I hate over powered and over leveled gankers that find fun in flattening my under geared and under powered character while I am progressing to endgame.

When I factor in all of the above I expect that I will enjoy the siege based pvp in the semi-open world system GW2 will provide.

In most games that have some form of pvp system guilds often struggle to get lower level players to join because they are often too easy to kill or simply ineffective aside from the most basic and often boring tasks. Knowing that I can contribute to the pvp at any level, with some small limitations, encourages me to participate rather than avoid the zone.

I like to play mmos, but I am generally a true rogue character. I party when it suits me, I join guilds only under specific circumstances, and I do what I want to do when I want to do it. I like to play games on my terms and at times when it suits me. I do not want a raiding schedule, I do not want to be online at a specific time in order to participate, and I do not want to be forced to power grind my character to max level so that I can now "play" the game under some form of structure based on game mechanics or the community standard.

I am 37 years old, married, with a career and all the other real life stuff to go with it. I play games as often as I can, but I can no longer put in 60 to 80 hours a week following raid times along with guild expectations and maintain a happy wife-happy life scenario.

I really hope GW2 is the game for me. It appears to be. Time will tell.

• patient32patient32 Member UncommonPosts: 96

3 Games in One? Eh?

a) Combat

b) Combat

or C) Combat

Looks like one game to me. If you want to know what 3 games in one is like look at my "3 Complete Games not 3 minigames post"

"It's like a finger pointing away to the moon... Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all the heavenly glory" (Bruce Lee)

(Insert your favourite mmo here): ......And behold, a pale horse.... And a million hellishly bad mmos followed with it.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

At launch, I'll focus mostly on PVE with my first character. With SPVP being completely seperate from PVE, I might do a match here and there, but not enough to get distracted from my goal of leveling my first toon to level 80 entirely in PVE. After I hit 80, I'll start mixing things up more, with a good mix of WvW, SPVP and leveling an alt.

For WBE1? Day one PVE only, then a mix over the last day and a half.

I do enjoy instanced 5 vs 5 PVP, so I know at some point I will play a fair amount of it, but it will be the last thing I mix into my play time. I tend to get really hooked on that form of PVP for a month or two at a time and I want to experience the rest of the game pretty fully before allowing myself to be tempted into a GW2 SPVP obssession. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• AntiFearAntiFear Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Ilaya

As "Old DaoC Fart" i go World vs World for sure. Honstely.....i think GW2 has the power to come very close to DaoC. Considering all the others out there (WAR and so forth) GW2 might be my new Players Heaven. *fingers crossed*

We can only hope

Originally posted by Meowhead

Mmm... but i LIKE the way they did structured PvP for GW2.  Here's what separates it from structured PvP in other games, and why WvW should still say fairly heavily populated (Unless it sucks)

1.  You cannot take your PvE character/gear (Other than appearance) into structured.

2.  You cannot take any structured awards back to PvE (Except titles, I suppose)

3.  All servers filter into the same structured match list, so they can get away with few people (per server) doing structured.

4.  WvW is the only way you can level up and get awards while doing PvP.

5.  WvW has no level barrier, or level separation... everybody from 1-80 is in the same maps.

6.  WvW combines the PvP population of 3 different servers into one fight.

7.  You can use the WvW map to see where fights are easily.

Honestly, they're two very different types of PvP.  Usually people do structured over open world because it's a more efficient way to earn rewards, and you're more likely to actually get a fight.  The first one isn't true at ALL, and Arenanet has gone a long way towards trying to fix two.

With the way it is, they're catering to two different sorts of people, and I for one am glad they're doing structured.  Since it caters to what I want to do sometimes (Obviously not catering to you, haha)

Yea I can def see Anet taking great pains to fixing some of the issues with structured PvP but my main concern is Pre-mades vs Pugs.  I do not do Pre-mades hardly at all because I am of the opinion that structured PvP is best suited to the more casual player base i.e. It is quick to jump in and play a game or 2 before work, It eliminates the whole Zerg mentality and puts the players at a supposedly even chance of winning and lastly it creates an opportunity for casual players to feel liek they are actually rewarded based on skill.  When you throw Pre-mades into that mix then it skews the whole concept that battleground style PvP matches were designed for and as such I prolly will never compete in structured PvP if its an ever increasing premade vs pug contest.  Luckily there are 2 other modes of gameplay that interest me greatly so I wont have to worry about it much.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by chefdiablo

I will mostly pve and enjoy the large scale pvp

I miss larger scale objective based pvp where teamwork and success yields rewards along with consequences. 

I enjoy action based mmo games with weapon based combat.

I hate open world pvp in games with levels because you have to get to max level in order to compete properly.

I hate "twinks" that camp my leveling areas because I am an easy target.

I hate over powered and over leveled gankers that find fun in flattening my under geared and under powered character while I am progressing to endgame.

When I factor in all of the above I expect that I will enjoy the siege based pvp in the semi-open world system GW2 will provide.

In most games that have some form of pvp system guilds often struggle to get lower level players to join because they are often too easy to kill or simply ineffective aside from the most basic and often boring tasks. Knowing that I can contribute to the pvp at any level, with some small limitations, encourages me to participate rather than avoid the zone.

I like to play mmos, but I am generally a true rogue character. I party when it suits me, I join guilds only under specific circumstances, and I do what I want to do when I want to do it. I like to play games on my terms and at times when it suits me. I do not want a raiding schedule, I do not want to be online at a specific time in order to participate, and I do not want to be forced to power grind my character to max level so that I can now "play" the game under some form of structure based on game mechanics or the community standard.

I am 37 years old, married, with a career and all the other real life stuff to go with it. I play games as often as I can, but I can no longer put in 60 to 80 hours a week following raid times along with guild expectations and maintain a happy wife-happy life scenario.

I really hope GW2 is the game for me. It appears to be. Time will tell.

Awesome post and I agree 100% with every thing you say and I hope GW2 promises to deliver on these very issues.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

Originally posted by AntiFear

Originally posted by Ilaya

As "Old DaoC Fart" i go World vs World for sure. Honstely.....i think GW2 has the power to come very close to DaoC. Considering all the others out there (WAR and so forth) GW2 might be my new Players Heaven. *fingers crossed*

We can only hope

2 give you a bit more "hope".

"I just can't talk more".

If you now know what that means/what i want to say, your fine mate ;)

So....if you get what i want to say, get your Hankys ready to be "reborn". Honestly! ;)

Yeah, the WvW, from the description, does sound like the holy grail.

The only issue I see is how much the lag will affect it when you have 200 on 200 at a castle.

Since its 3 servers competing, thats probably low numbers.