Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Erickson Denies Declining Sub Numbers

124»

Comments

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by flynn444

Originally posted by JeroKane

You don't have to be a hater to see through his lies!

Why you think they desperately gave away free 30 day subs this month? So they could count them for the Q4 report and tell their stock holders everything is fine and peachy!

If you didn't know.... EA's stock is at an all time low and large stock holders have either already pulled out or are threatening EA to pull out!

So yes ofcourse he is desperately trying to tell everyone that SW:TOR isn't losing subs, to prevent EA stocks to dive even further.

Seriously how can you keep a straight face by telling that SW:TOR subs are not declining, but server merges need to happen due to light populated servers?? Servers that were heavily populated up till two months ago!

Ofcourse, you can just stick your head in the sand, like this EA suit and pretend everything is fine and peachy....  /shrug

So you have no actual evidence that Erickson is lying about subscription numbers, just a random collection of irrelevancies.  Giving away 30 days of game time is a method to retain or increase subscription numbers if you think they may drop given in light of anticipated competition.  EA is a huge company and it's probable that some divisions are successful even as others are in decline.  Finally, Erickson never said server merges "need to happen", and neither did he say "everything is fine and peachy".

Do you play SWTOR? What's your interest in bashing the game?

What's his interest in bashing the game? Remember where you are. This is the place where people bash everything that isn't the game they play. Just wait till GW2 launches, all the haters will switch targets.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by JuJutsu

Originally posted by flynn444

Originally posted by JeroKane

You don't have to be a hater to see through his lies!

Why you think they desperately gave away free 30 day subs this month? So they could count them for the Q4 report and tell their stock holders everything is fine and peachy!

If you didn't know.... EA's stock is at an all time low and large stock holders have either already pulled out or are threatening EA to pull out!

So yes ofcourse he is desperately trying to tell everyone that SW:TOR isn't losing subs, to prevent EA stocks to dive even further.

Seriously how can you keep a straight face by telling that SW:TOR subs are not declining, but server merges need to happen due to light populated servers?? Servers that were heavily populated up till two months ago!

Ofcourse, you can just stick your head in the sand, like this EA suit and pretend everything is fine and peachy....  /shrug

So you have no actual evidence that Erickson is lying about subscription numbers, just a random collection of irrelevancies.  Giving away 30 days of game time is a method to retain or increase subscription numbers if you think they may drop given in light of anticipated competition.  EA is a huge company and it's probable that some divisions are successful even as others are in decline.  Finally, Erickson never said server merges "need to happen", and neither did he say "everything is fine and peachy".

Do you play SWTOR? What's your interest in bashing the game?

What's his interest in bashing the game? Remember where you are. This is the place where people bash everything that isn't the game they play. Just wait till GW2 launches, all the haters will switch targets.

And all the players will switch games.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

They are declining IMO,and Im a fan of SWTOR. After realising I was doing 25ish dailies/weeklys,I started to have flash backs to other MMOs lol. "Do daily tasks-Get tokens-save tokens- buy a piece of gear" rinse and repeat. The journey was great but the destination was meh... Started a few alts but than thought back to my level 50 routines.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Originally posted by daltanious

But is funny thing how fast haters community is building, even faster when with wow. Some people just seek always only bad in anything and they are happy with anything that fail. Guess psychiatrists are pretty expensive. :-)

^^ Cognitive Distortions. Individual presents as having issues with conflict, and projects hostility as a counter-phobic reaction.

You're welcome. No charge.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Antarious
    I don't have anything to say about the game directly.

I just think EA-BioWare employees should stop making comments in regards to subscriptions.   At this point if I owned EA stock I would be filing a complaint with the FTC about "false positives"...   and let the FTC decide if numbers have dropped or not and deal with it.

Financial reports, as an interest of any investor or stock owner, rarely contain any information about subscribers as it is pretty meaningless information.

Only one concerned about such numbers are customers - players, and those like to ignorantly take perception of a player into a perception of an investor.

Comments including "subscription numbers <-> investors" relations are pretty stupid in nature.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by zaylin

They are declining IMO,and Im a fan of SWTOR. After realising I was doing 25ish dailies/weeklys,I started to have flash backs to other MMOs lol. "Do daily tasks-Get tokens-save tokens- buy a piece of gear" rinse and repeat. The journey was great but the destination was meh... Started a few alts but than thought back to my level 50 routines.

I feel the same. Levelling up, the journey was fun. Despite a few limitations.

But I recally VERY well when every SWTOR developer always emphasized "There will be NO GRIND, we will NOT have the same endgame grind as other MMOs!" The "no grind" was really like a mantra. And the endgame is the worst, typical WOW grind that ever I have seen. Alas. Just the chest piece take 60 Black Hole tokens, making all dailies on Corellia gives 6 tokens that 10 days the same quests over and over just for the chest piece. That IS grind. Or how damn long it takes now to get PVP gear when 8 of of 10 times your team loses. Not cool. This is definitely grind and not the innovative grind-free system we were promised.

I still play and pay levelling up Gunslinger, because that story I do not know yet. But doing Taris again... sigh. And you just can't make alternative levelling anymore. PVP xp was nerfed horribly, flashpoints are so rarely done and even heroics are hard to get people together. This game just needs a cross server dungeon finder pronto, that includes warzones and flashpoints.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306
    WoW devs are experts at lying about  their games population.  And as usual, the gullible believe every word of it.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by daltanious

But is funny thing how fast haters community is building, even faster when with wow. Some people just seek always only bad in anything and they are happy with anything that fail. Guess psychiatrists are pretty expensive. :-)

^^ Cognitive Distortions. Individual presents as having issues with conflict, and projects hostility as a counter-phobic reaction.

You're welcome. No charge.

Do me. 

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    the people at swtor ripped a 3 month subscription out of my paypal account without my permission, this happened to A LOT of people, I never clicked 'auto sub', they clicked it for me!, jerks deserve to dwindle and fabricate their numbers, they never added dyable armor, dyable armor or a decent pvp system let alone a bounty hunter that can hunt bounties outside of the linear storyline, I just prefer linear games with the option of non-linear play from time to time, hut-ball is not non-linear, hutball is mindless grinding... thanks but no thanks scammers, that 60 bucks you ripped off from me by forcing auto-subscribe without my consent is something I've never seen in MMORPG history, and I've been playing MMORPGs since 1996.

--- Razimus

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Razimus

the people at swtor ripped a 3 month subscription out of my paypal account without my permission, this happened to A LOT of people, I never clicked 'auto sub', they clicked it for me!, jerks deserve to dwindle and fabricate their numbers, they never added dyable armor, dyable armor or a decent pvp system let alone a bounty hunter that can hunt bounties outside of the linear storyline, I just prefer linear games with the option of non-linear play from time to time, hut-ball is not non-linear, hutball is mindless grinding... thanks but no thanks scammers, that 60 bucks you ripped off from me by forcing auto-subscribe without my consent is something I've never seen in MMORPG history, and I've been playing MMORPGs since 1996.

When did this happen? If just recently within two weeks and you are just now noticing and HAVE NOT been logging into the game. I suggest you go to the foums and find out the number to Customer Service.

I had an issue very similar to this in Feb. I canceled my account with 2 weeks left and they ended up charging me another month. Mind you I didn't discover the charge until a WEEK and a HALF later. I went to forums /raged got a response from Moderators and called..

Spoke with Customer Service /raged got ..my money back..

If you've honestly feel you they got you.. Take the proof you have and call them

NOTE: If you just noticed the charged and you HAVE NOT been logged into the game during that time. Then I would call and see about a refund.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    This is not even news worthy, all new mmo's go through this, times have changed, allot of games out there, the game still has a healthy population, just to many servers, becasue people complained about the que times at launch, don't need 10 million subs to be a hit, in fact EA has stated that 500k subs is VERY profitable, I am sure the game is still above a million. /shrug
  • Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94

They lost 2 subs after the first month - my wife and I didn't have active accounts beyond the first month.

I thought it looked like a dumb game before it was released and after playing it's linear storyline with no endgame, I wasn't convinced otherwise. 

So, yes, he is lying.

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

lol..."it's not true"

So, how come during the FREE WEEKEND most of the servers showed Population: Standard during peak NA times (~4pm - 12am; EST times used) and continued to display "Standard" during EU's prime time (I think ~5am - 12pm; EST times used) I may be wrong on the EU Primes, but that's just from playing MMOs at "odd hours" seems around 5am my time populations pick up again.

In fact, the only server tagged as "FULL" was 'The Fatman'.

SWTOR's subs aren't dropping like ME3's ending was widely popular :lol:

Maybe Bioware should spend less time worrying about "artistic integrity", and more on making the quality games that made the company successful...

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• t7a69t7a69 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I wouldn't say he is lying, because subs numbers are actually increasing, but not here in the US (They need to do server merge for the US ones, because alot of Asia players moved over to the ASIA SERVERS from the US ones). Other reagions, like Asia, Europe, etc.. are growing markets for them. The game is still new in those areas of the world, well not Eurupe. They just opened up in 38 other Counties. It's by far not a dying game... Yes right now it's content lacking at endgame (sarcaism), all you have is oh about 10 hard mode Flashpoints, IIum a pvp planet, and warzones. I don't know what game everyone plays, but most themepack games at the end is gear grinding. There are other things to work on like Legacy. I'm still playing, have four 50s, which yes it's boring doing the side quests over and over again which is I skip now and just run the story mode, and do space and pvp to level up. I don't know how many of you kids played WoW when it first came out 10 years ago, but it's end game content was far worst than swtor's. It's a new game, give it a chance.