Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Progress You Can See

2»

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I've already settled on having to lower graphical settings a dash before I enter pvp, but I've had to do that for every game so this isn't a big deal for me. I hope I don't have to do it for large-scale events, though. I usually turn off things like grass and lower draw distance anyway, just because I don't tend to notice environments enough for that to hurt my enjoyment of the game, but it would be nice not to have to.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Four0Six

Originally posted by Atlan99

I still haven't seen a game that has solved this problem yet. Most games turn into lagfests with large scale PvP.

mmmmmhhhhmmmm, AION anyone?

Aion, Lineage 2, KoK3 and EVE Online have used various solutions from optimizing the crap out of Unreal 2 to heavily customized supercomputers and net code.

I have played EvE. It becomes a lagfest not just in PvP. It was also terrible when going near the Jita system.

• I have 12 gig ram, 6970 2 gig, quad core 3.2 phenom 2, SSD 128 gig ... 14 fps on low gfx or high in a field with 4 players near me... such a great great optimized game...

• mrhyde1428mrhyde1428 Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Gisborne

I have 12 gig ram, 6970 2 gig, quad core 3.2 phenom 2, SSD 128 gig and i had ... 14 fps on low gfx or high in a field with 4 players near me... such a great great optimized game...

You just broke ArenaNet's NDA by stating you were in the closed beta.

Hope no one points that out so you don't get into any sort of trouble.

oops...

• nattiusnattius Member Posts: 22
    Would it be a fair assumption that if I can run skyrim on medium settings that I should be able to handle GW2?
  • DranzDranz Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by nattius

Would it be a fair assumption that if I can run skyrim on medium settings that I should be able to handle GW2?

I hope that's true, because if so I can run it easily if I can play skyrim maxxed out! Aww yeah, being able to afford awesome computerness because my family isn't poor!

Also nice article.

• Erm the whole thread is talkign about the games fucking performance, did the OP break it to ? beta was from ages ago and the NDA has ended.... troll or fanboi ?

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Low graphics settings are for noobs, but that's ok, noobs can become pros.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Four0Six

I still haven't seen a game that has solved this problem yet. Most games turn into lagfests with large scale PvP.

mmmmmhhhhmmmm, AION anyone?

Aion, Lineage 2, KoK3 and EVE Online have used various solutions from optimizing the crap out of Unreal 2 to heavily customized supercomputers and net code.

Yet when Aion launched in the west keep batles (or whatever thier objectives where called) where a constant stream or red "playerx has disconected" messages as the game unceromoniously dumped people to desktop. That was the Main reason most of the people I played with (me included) left. That was with graphics turned down and looking at the floor. Glad it works well now but back in the day it was a complete joke.

Originally posted by k-damage

Er ..... How is it possible to see the famous "lag / framerate issue" mistake in an official column ?

Lag = internet delay

Framerate issue = system delay

VERY different :)

What would you call server side issues if not lag?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by mrhyde1428

I have 12 gig ram, 6970 2 gig, quad core 3.2 phenom 2, SSD 128 gig and i had ... 14 fps on low gfx or high in a field with 4 players near me... such a great great optimized game...

oops...

Apparently he also doesn't understand what beta is FOR.  The game isn't optimized yet.  It's still in beta.  Duh.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by mrhyde1428

oops...

Apparently he also doesn't understand what beta is FOR.  The game isn't optimized yet.  It's still in beta.  Duh.

I'm getting a strange feeling of dejavu.

Hopefully the ending is different this time around.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Erm the whole thread is talkign about the games fucking performance, did the OP break it to ? beta was from ages ago and the NDA has ended.... troll or fanboi ?

There was no NDA for the press with the exception of discussing the cash shop. Regular folks are still bound by the NDA for both the beta and the stress test.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Erm the whole thread is talkign about the games fucking performance, did the OP break it to ? beta was from ages ago and the NDA has ended.... troll or fanboi ?

There was no NDA for the press with the exception of discussing the cash shop. Regular folks are still bound by the NDA for both the beta and the stress test.

I thought all bets were off come this weekend.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

This weekend there is no NDA for anyone. You will see livestreams from press and non-press and the forums explode with opions. I do not believe that this frees people from prior NDAs to which they agreed.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

This weekend there is no NDA for anyone. You will see livestreams from press and non-press and the forums explode with opions. I do not believe that this frees people from prior NDAs to which they agreed.

You are correct.  All previous beta testers  are still under NDA and can not talk about what they did while beta testing.  BWE's have no NDA so anyone can talk about those. 

The press was also under a limited beta, they could not talk about everything they saw as well, for example the cash shop. 

• ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27

Ever heard of EVE Online? Where you can get upwards of 3000 players blowing each other up within sight of each other, with minimum lag?

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by Drealgrin

Low graphics settings are for noobs, but that's ok, noobs can become pros.

in GW2 noobs are equal to pros. (lol)

Anyways  sad when I read  the title I thought it was detailing some kind of new character growth that actually had meaning in pvp. Oh well nothing  new or exciting to see here for me.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by ChrispyChris

Ever heard of EVE Online? Where you can get upwards of 3000 players blowing each other up within sight of each other, with minimum lag?

As i remember it you had to turn brackets off, close local, set your overview to show minimal objects and ships on grid zoom all the way out and you have a shot at a frame every 5 seconds or a shot not to crash jumping into a system with a fleet fight going on. Of course it was better before carriers/fighters and motherships galore so I don't see how it could have gotten any better. NC used to crash nodes on purpose with numbers and whoever logs in the fastest gets the system. Eve was laggy as any game I have played.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Must be your rig.

GW2 is the perfect game and there are no flaws in it.

That made me laugh out loud.

Now...back to that amazing login screen...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Yes and no. NDA is off this weekend (and probably future events), so you can talk about, stream or record to your heart's contents. However, past betas are (and probably will still be for the foreseeable future) bound by NDA, so you can talk about your experiences in this beta and on, but aren't supposed to talk (and that will remain like that) about past betas or the stress test.

What can men do against such reckless hate?