Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"It's really about politics and power plays," says Hardarson.

osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Very little new info in the article, but it does give a little vlearer insight into the approach to designing the game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/165808/World_of_Darkness_is_CCPs_bid_for_the_MMO_mainstream.php

Favorite Quote:"I'm not a five-year-old. If I want to go in the cave and I want to die, that's my problem."

Comments

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Sounds good to me ;)

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

All nice and dandy, but still a few years to go before we can actually play it.

• Samkin772Samkin772 Member Posts: 104

when I see "mainstream", what I comprehend is "WoW players".  Don't misunderstand,  I want this game to be a success, I just hope it isn't created to appeal to all the carebares and whiners.  WoD is my last, desperate chance to fall in love with an MMORPG again.....

• rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Samkin772

WoD is my last, desperate chance to fall in love with an MMORPG again.....

I agree completely.

No game has been able to make me "fall in love" like an MMO.  At my age (33yo), single-player games rarely hold my attention.  I recognize many as extremely well-made games, but for some reason I just don't get sucked in the way I used to.

Even among MMOs, the only ones which sucked me in were UO (since it was the first, and completely novel) and LOTRO (since I'm a Tolkien geek).  LOTRO was great, but it followed the same recipe regarding basic gameplay as all the other MMOs; while this was fine for the time of when LOTRO was made, I think there's a big demand for something new.  I bought SW:TOR, and while it had a few new ideas and some fun times, the fact that the gameplay itself had nothing new about it, I lost interest in less than a month and quit.

World of Darkness has great potential to be something totally new in the world of MMOs.  Furthermore, I've been a die-hard fan of the pen-and-paper Vampire game for about 15 years now.  The combination of this makes for a good chance I'll fall in love with World of Darkness Online.

What World of Darkness needs to AVOID:

1. Kill x of y quests as the *main* basis for questing.

2. Being a hot-key fest.

3. A classic leveling system.

4. Combat as the main basis for gameplay for all players.

5. Character "death" having only mild repercussions, and a simple respawning system. (by "death" I am referring to losing combat in a normal setting, not Blood Hunt permadeath)

6. Clearly delineated factional warfare.

7. Gear as being of any importance similiar to games like WoW.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Samkin772

when I see "mainstream", what I comprehend is "WoW players".  Don't misunderstand,  I want this game to be a success, I just hope it isn't created to appeal to all the carebares and whiners.  WoD is my last, desperate chance to fall in love with an MMORPG again.....

wow won't be mainstream in 2 or 3 years time. it will have fallen off most peoples radar by then.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Thanks for the link :) Exciting stuff!

the poster formerly known as melangel :P