Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: The War Back in Warcraft

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

"Mists of Panderia" was a branding error.

They should have gone with something more intriguing, such as:

"Dread from the Deep"

"Invasion from Hell"

"Return of the Plague"

"Beyond the Demon Dimention"

"Time Travel"

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

i would have come back to wow but ive only  got up to burning crusade

so i  would need wrath of the lich king and  cata

the cost of getting these 2 expansions  plus the new one   plus a sub  just  is too much 

they should have some system where you buy the latest expansion and your up todate   it would probably also  encorage a lot of old players to come back for at least a few months and probably  get hooked all again

untill then wow is just too much for me to even consider

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Not to be a stickler but they mentioned that the STORY of MOP was returning to Horde vs Alliance... not so much the pvp.

World pvp objectives are not very popular amongst the hardcore pvpers for the most part.  Arena and rated battlegrounds require a larger amount of skill then open world pvp which is usually just zerg battles (as fun as those can be..).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the shit out of raiding alliance towns back in Vanilla.  But battlegrounds and arena are more skill orientated, offer better rewards, and thus attract more people.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

WoW PvP has been dead since Vanilla, and during Vanilla when they added penalties for killing townsfolk (for the entire raid).

Hey Bill, is that a picture of Tarren Mill circa Vanilla WoW on Bloodhoof? just curious.

also, I've never believed the 12million (now 10million) subs numbers. It's kinda like the Rush Limbaugh having 45million listeners....it's just not true. It's called hype.

12mil x $15 per month x12 months + 12mil x $49 per year for box sales...

I haven't seen any proof this income exists, and if it did, then it's a shame it wasn't ever used to make the game better....but like I said, it never existed.

Originally posted by Rider071

WoW PvP has been dead since Vanilla, and during Vanilla when they added penalties for killing townsfolk (for the entire raid).

Hey Bill, is that a picture of Tarren Mill circa Vanilla WoW on Bloodhoof? just curious.

also, I've never believed the 12million (now 10million) subs numbers. It's kinda like the Rush Limbaugh having 45million listeners....it's just not true. It's called hype.

I haven't seen any proof this income exists, and if it did, then it's a shame it wasn't ever used to make the game better....but like I said, it never existed.

WoW is popular - it was on the 'top 10' games shelf of many high street shops for maybe 5 years.

• VladrielVladriel Member Posts: 46

Nope, the conflict between the Alliance and the Horde is getting freakin old and stale. It's starting to sound like one of those constantly ongoing soap operas where you never find out what happens. .  I think there should be a new advisary  come in.. a stronger one... That would force the horde and alliance to band together.. A total evil advisary and one that can be a playable character as well.  Talking about a split.. You would not want to share an outpost with these advisarys. 

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Aha,

1. I played WoW since beta and I do not remember war at all. Ok, the battles around Tarrens Mill were great, but that was no content made by Blizzard. They implemented the honor-system, which was one of the worst things ever made by Blizzard in any of their games. Then they made battlegrounds with annoying waiting cues, exploits and itemization. That killed the open-world pvp.

I remember, that Warhammer online had some nice open pvp features, but the game unfortunately had some bad qualities, too. But WoW? Never!

2. What do you want to tell us with this article? That Blizzard vaguely promisses something and we have no idea, what that exactly means? And in the meantime we will be able to play games like GW2 or TSW, which seem to be much better in that aspect.

Your headline "War back in Warcraft" just does not make sense!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

no thanks ill pass you kids have fun.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by jbombard

WoW owns MMO genre. Ok.

PvP?  How can it be a fact when the game isn't released yet.  Considering it is PLAYER vs. PLAYER, you would probably need players to determine whether or not this is fact.

Pokemon? Mario kart sold even more than pokemon, it doesn't mean people want mario kart in my WoW.  I like chocolate and I like pickles, it doesn't mean I want pickles in my chocolate.

How is it a fact that MoP will be the best selling MMO this year?  It hasn't even been announced to release this year.  Also GW2 will likely sell more boxes.  Either way selling boxes isn't the measure of success how many customers they can keep subscribed is.

There is already a beta, so we know that this is a PvP centered expansion.

Actually Mario Kart hasn't sold nearly as many as Pokemon, Mario as a franchise has, but not Mario Kart alone.

Also, racing has been implemented into MMO's (like Mario Kart) so why wouldn't Pokemon? Chocolate and Pickles are not games, so your point is invalid (but actually sounds nice.)

Lastly, if you honestly think that GW2 will even sell close to half the copies of MoP then you are seriously deluded. 

• HydhraHydhra Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

WoW is popular - it was on the 'top 10' games shelf of many high street shops for maybe 5 years.

HAHAHA keep telling yourself that. I think that the game is seling well over in asia but in the West it stopped selling good about 2 years ago... if they have 1 mill EU and US subs im shocked, and the asia people dont pay a sub, they pay for hav much time they are gonna play.

DAoC/GW/Lotro/WoW/WAR/Rift/SWTor

• Dreamysher28Dreamysher28 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I miss the ability to customize ya talent points, the hybrid class.. Talent points now and even with MoP make the cookie cutter. Ya all the same just like everyone else... sigh!

• AthenRahlAthenRahl Member UncommonPosts: 8

Wow is dead to me and only 3 words could make it even become a blip on my radar: 

Free 2 Play.

Between the @$$ community, crappy dated graphics, and average gameplay, there's not enough there to be worth my $15 a month.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Hydhra

HAHAHA keep telling yourself that. I think that the game is seling well over in asia but in the West it stopped selling good about 2 years ago... if they have 1 mill EU and US subs im shocked, and the asia people dont pay a sub, they pay for hav much time they are gonna play.

If you break down their last earning's report, it would appear that they have aproximately 4 million subs between NA/EU and the other 6 million are split between different regions, but mainly China.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Mephster

The expansion is about exploration. Not sure it is putting anything back in anything.

That's one facet of it, yes. But believe me: all we were told the entire time during the recent press event was how they were going to bring back the fighting between the two sides. They couldn't tell us specifics on how, other than the story will have ships from both Horde and Alliance arriving on the beachead with the first major patch post Pandaria's launch.

Not doubting you Bill! I just think Blizzard is all hype these days! :)

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

I think that Blizzard are doing well because the competition are doing badly.

For example, Rift is the number 1 MMORPG and it's a WoW clone with less content.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by Hydhra

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Thing is they do have over a mil sub in Us and Eu, if they didn't then Activsion investor earning report would be false, and they could be sued..

Also, blizz states Active subs, not person playing. I know of person who still pay for WoW and haven't logged on in months...  And for that reason WoW will probably stay with the biggest sub numbers for the nect 2-3yrs..

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

we'll never see an MMO with such high subs ever again and I've been saying that for years.

lol  you honestly think MMOs have peaked?  

if you are right, it will only be because nobody charges using subscriptions anymore,

but there will be MMOs that are more popular and impactful on the world (planet earth)  than WoW without a doubt.

we haven't even turned virtually everyone worldwide into gamers yet, nevermind turning them into the EXTREMELY MUCH MORE SPECIFIC form of gamer that current MMOs require.

we're still in the MMO Dark Ages (hopefully at the tail end), with virtually all MMOs cut from the same cloth.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Valua

(or stop hyping GW2 up so much, when it will barely sell 3 million copies - my opinion.)

GW1 sold 6.5 million copies, and it wasn't even an MMO, and wasn't hyped much.

GW2    IS an MMO, has a TON of hype, and promises A LOT of innovations at a time when people are really READY for most of them.  and the MMO player base has been expanding ever since GW1 came out.  also it requires no subscription.   and it has people like me, who hated GW1 quite interested in it.

it seems crazy to predict that GW2 won't at least sell 9 million units (once its been out for the same number of years GW1 has).

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by corpusc

Originally posted by Valua

(or stop hyping GW2 up so much, when it will barely sell 3 million copies - my opinion.)

GW1 sold 6.5 million copies, and it wasn't even an MMO, and wasn't hyped much.

GW2    IS an MMO, has a TON of hype, and promises A LOT of innovations at a time when people are really READY for most of them.  and the MMO player base has been expanding ever since GW1 came out.  also it requires no subscription.   and it has people like me, who hated GW1 quite interested in it.

it seems crazy to predict that GW2 won't at least sell 9 million units (once its been out for the same number of years GW1 has).

I agree with what what you are saying, GW2 has the potential to sell 9 million copies yes. But only when including 4+ expansions.

GW1 only sold 7 million when you also include every single expansion sold too.

I think some people actually believe the original GW1 sold 7 million copies, it did not.

WoW has sold in the 30-40 million range with all expansions, just to put things into perspective.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

they sold us the same thing with 1.2 ^^

i kinda doubt blizz is able to do propper pvp, otherwise they would have done so some time ago :>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by Thane

they sold us the same thing with 1.2 ^^

i kinda doubt blizz is able to do propper pvp, otherwise they would have done so some time ago :>

I enjoyed PvP in WoW more than PvP in GW1 and most other MMO's.

I guess it comes down to taste and what people believe is "propper PvP" doesn't it?

• DiospyrosDiospyros Member Posts: 15
    I think I'd like this series of columns on WoW if the author wasn't such an unabashed fanboy of the game.  Of course I want someone writing this that likes the game, but I also want enough objecivity that I can feel like I'm getting solid info about WoW instead of feeling like someone in Blizzard's PR department is writing this.
  • NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

After all these years of playing WoW I don't think there is anything they can do to get me excited about the game again! Well let me rephrase that...anything they will do...and there is one simple reason why; I don't care about the world anymore. There is no more South Shore for there to be a Tauren Mill any longer!!!  

With Cata, whey then destroyed what I knew of Azeroth and the reworking of some major plot points, i.e. Org, barrens, SW, etc. It just doesn't feel like the same World of Warcraft that held my attention for first 5 years!

When Cata was first launched something was different but I couldn't put my finger on it...just wasn't interested any longer...after having quit the game for some 7 months now I know exactly what it was....One of the most important element in keep old school gamers, like myself, playing your game is nostalgia, at least in my opinion. When you change everything around them it gives them nothing to look back on and say "I remember when". I find myself looking for private Vanilla / TBC servers now with no interest at all in playing the live game

Yours Truly,

Annual Pass Holder

Join us dtguilds.com
  • hcosminhcosmin Member Posts: 45

Meh, they've been talking about "putting the war back into Warcraft" before their Cata release as well, how's this any different. And they did sortof, in the 1-60 leveling zones and the early story, after that - not that much.

As for PvP, let's be honest, WoW players like to brag about their love of PvP (especially world PvP) to gain cool kid points, but when confronted with it they avoid it like a plague. There is no more spoiled, immediate-gratification seekind and risk-adverse playerbase in any other MMO.

Take Wintergrasp in Wrath for example. It started out as a simple, fun, optional open PvP zone that got nerfed into oblivion and turned into essentially a once an hour battleground because the playerbase couldn't handle one measly PvP zone and whined like banshees because they couldn't fly away from a fight or because it wasn't all artificially balanced for them.

I'm having trouble seeing how Pandaria can bring the War back in Warcraft without putting the spine back into the Warcraft players.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by hcosmin

Meh, they've been talking about "putting the war back into Warcraft" before their Cata release as well, how's this any different. And they did sortof, in the 1-60 leveling zones and the early story, after that - not that much.

As for PvP, let's be honest, WoW players like to brag about their love of PvP (especially world PvP) to gain cool kid points, but when confronted with it they avoid it like a plague. There is no more spoiled, immediate-gratification seekind and risk-adverse playerbase in any other MMO.

Take Wintergrasp in Wrath for example. It started out as a simple, fun, optional open PvP zone that got nerfed into oblivion and turned into essentially a once an hour battleground because the playerbase couldn't handle one measly PvP zone and whined like banshees because they couldn't fly away from a fight or because it wasn't all artificially balanced for them.

I'm having trouble seeing how Pandaria can bring the War back in Warcraft without putting the spine back into the Warcraft players.

Not only that but with MoP, as well as all the other xpacs, the gear is now so OP that world PvP will be meaningless unless they are all geared and max lvl.

Not much incentive for anyone not MoP geared to go join, is there?