Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guildwars 2 , a bit dissapointed DX 9 and not DX11 ??

xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

So i instaled the game and its all running for the beta weekend but i must say this game runs in directx 9 ? not directx 11 can anyone explain me this ?

Especially that directx 11 would provide a better performance playing than Directx 9 especially on nvidia graphic cards.

Comments

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

What versions of Windows will I be able to use? Is DirectX 10 a requirement?

A: It seems that Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (and 8 will all be supported. This means that DirectX 10 will be supported but not required.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

My understanding is that DX10 will be supported but perhaps no option to enable in the beta builds. At the very least I would love to see solid  DX10 options. Infinitely better than DX9. I've only seen basic elements from DX11 added to any mmo thus far.

You stay sassy!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by xenpt

So i instaled the game and its all running for the beta weekend but i must say this game runs in directx 9 ? not directx 11 can anyone explain me this ?

I'm not sure if they have commented yet on DX support for release. I'm going to guess that since they bother to show you that the current renderer is DX9 in the options panel, that they do plan on adding at least DX10 support at some point, but I'm not certain.

I do know that the game has had very little optimization on the graphics front at this point. It makes sense that they would run the game at DX9 prior to optimization and then include API specific tweaks during optimization.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

DirectX 10 will be supported but not required to play it,

GW1 used DX8, and about 6 month later the engine was updates to dx9,You will likely see the same thing happen with GW2,

its will support DX9, and be updated to support DX11 ,i guess

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Technical_stuff

and 

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2648228&postcount=194

Don't we will see DX11 anytime soon, maybe with an expansion?

Will I need Vista/Windows7 and DirectX 10 to play?

No, but DirectX 10 will be supported

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by Tamanous

My understanding is that DX10 will be supported but perhaps no option to enable in the beta builds. At the very least I would love to see solid  DX10 options. Infinitely better than DX9. I've only seen basic elements from DX11 added to any mmo thus far.

Actually, no.  Making a DirectX 10 game at this point would be catastrophically stupid.  The problem is that DX10 isn't backward compatible, so you have to make both a DX10 and DX9 code path, or else make it so that no one running XP or older hardware can play your game.  DirectX 11 doesn't have such problems.

As for DirectX 11, it depends on what features they wanted to implement.  If they're not going to use anything that isn't already in DirectX 9.0c, then why go DX11?  Besides, the only important graphical feature that DX11 added was tessellation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Tamanous

Actually, no.  Making a DirectX 10 game at this point would be catastrophically stupid.  The problem is that DX10 isn't backward compatible, so you have to make both a DX10 and DX9 code path, or else make it so that no one running XP or older hardware can play your game.  DirectX 11 doesn't have such problems.

As for DirectX 11, it depends on what features they wanted to implement.  If they're not going to use anything that isn't already in DirectX 9.0c, then why go DX11?  Besides, the only important graphical feature that DX11 added was tessellation.

"DirectX 10 will be supported. It will not be required."

Gaile Gray

Support Liaison

ArenaNet

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Mac and Linux people will love that fact that its DX9, it will be so much easier to make the game run under Wine.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Looks coded for Fast Aproximate Anti-Aliasing too which is a nice modern touch to see, much better than MSAA.

FXAA developed by Nvidia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmeNz0NTvFQ

• LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205

Need I say that the BETA build is most likely (and I think I've heard this from a source) not the official release or graphics. Like some BETA's I've tested, they released a beta build without high resolution textures, DX10-11 support, and various other things. They only released a stable build for test purposes.

And before someone attacks me with the "Why not add the high graphics so we can test those?!?!one!!1", graphics testing is not required for a beta test seeing as graphic bugs are easy to catch and would only require in-office testing.

The point of a beta is to submit your feedback and report programming errors to the team. Such as weird AI behavior, weapon not acting the way it should and various other things like that.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Looks coded for Fast Aproximate Anti-Aliasing too which is a nice modern touch to see, much better than MSAA.

FXAA developed by Nvidia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmeNz0NTvFQ

the smart blur filter

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

Kind of glad that's DX9. It means I get to run this thing on Linux under Wine.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The game hasn't yet been optimized at the level of the game engine. That doesn't mean that the beta test client is some hobbled together thing with low res textures, but we do know that performance will increase once it is optimized and that there are some things here and there that are placeholders or a little out of sync because they are still being developed.

I do think we will see improvements from one WBE to the next, not because they are dumbing down the graphics for us now, but because optimization can make a huge difference for performance and can even lead to some improvement to visual quality.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by fiontar

The game hasn't yet been optimized at the level of the game engine. That doesn't mean that the beta test client is some hobbled together thing with low res textures, but we do know that performance will increase once it is optimized and that there are some things here and there that are placeholders or a little out of sync because they are still being developed.

I do think we will see improvements from one WBE to the next, not because they are dumbing down the graphics for us now, but because optimization can make a huge difference for performance and can even lead to some improvement to visual quality.

This ^

They also have it stated that the game is currently CPU-heavy. They are still working on it to utilize GPU more efficiently. This is one of the reasons if you crank the settings in-game you don't notice a huge change in quality.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I seem to remember WoW going to DX11 and not seeing much difference. It looked the same and performed about the same for me.

GW2 is currently CPU heavy, so why do we need DX11?

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by OldManFunk

I seem to remember WoW going to DX11 and not seeing much difference. It looked the same and performed about the same for me.

GW2 is currently CPU heavy, so why do we need DX11?

right now it   probably hardly uses the  gpu, which is why they had to take out may effects once they make the gpu  the priuoroty  they can add in more effects,  making it dx 11 will mean it will run better when that is done

• srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121

They could make a DX11 code path, just like Blizzard did with WoW. It got a few visual improvements, but the real deal was in the frame-rates that improved by up to 25% (because they barely added DX11 new effects, if at all, but the DX11 code ran more optimally on the newer cards).

I think they "dismissed" DX11 path because they probably don't have enough time money to invest in 2 different code paths, and preferred the one most compatible.

They should create a DX11 path somewhere along the way, but that doesn't seem to be their priority since even now the engine is badly optimized and uses little GPU processing.

I just hope we move out of DX9 soon enough, "kill" the damned Windows XP official support and start using DX11 as baseline. There are ways of getting DX11 working on XP for those that fancy the OS, and gamers that stay by XP are probably tech savvy enough to google and install it anyway.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

DX11 is as much an improvement performance-wise as Win7 was an improvement over WinVista. It's not just about graphical improvements.

Unfortunately people need far more updated graphic cards to run DX11 than probably the majority of people have. I still would have preferred DX9/11 instead of the intended DX9/10 though, and I'm still holding out for it, but I don't know enough about all that to say whether there's a valid reason for it or not. The work on GW2 started over 5 years ago at this point using an updated version of an engine that's even older than that, DX10 might just be the best they can do compatability-wise.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Ugh its in DX10? There is a really good reason why only a handfull of games ever used it, it lags like hell.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Listen dude, its beta...as theyll tell on the forums they are still working on setting screen/changes ...since the other settings dont work 100% yet either...yust wait and see..start complaining once the game releases :P

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

DX11 is as much an improvement performance-wise as Win7 was an improvement over WinVista. It's not just about graphical improvements.

Unfortunately people need far more updated graphic cards to run DX11 than probably the majority of people have. I still would have preferred DX9/11 instead of the intended DX9/10 though, and I'm still holding out for it, but I don't know enough about all that to say whether there's a valid reason for it or not. The work on GW2 started over 5 years ago at this point using an updated version of an engine that's even older than that, DX10 might just be the best they can do compatability-wise.

WoW's engine is older than that and see where it is now, with the DX11 stuff working, and even a 64bit client "sort of" official support for people that play at high resolutions where 2GB wasn't cutting it for process size.

DX10 was borked by NVidia's incompetence, some DX11 features should've belonged to DX10, DX10.1 being just a small fix to a doomed framework.

They'll probably use some DX10.1 features in the "high-ultra" settings, but probably those aren't working quite yet.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

That's really disappointing of GW2.

Why don't they make games for DX11? It has so many nice effects that would work great in MMOs.

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

My direct x goes up to 11.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Greyhooff

That's really disappointing of GW2.

Why don't they make games for DX11? It has so many nice effects that would work great in MMOs.

It's using the same engine they had in GW1, just updated (making it about as old as WoW).

It's built around DX9 infrastructure, but it will support DX10. We have no idea if they have plans for DX11 or not. They very well may upgrade it to DX11 in the future. We simply don't know.

- All the talk about the lag will more than likely go away once the BWE starts. It's being said by people who obviously haven't played the game. It runs surprisingly smooth from when I've played. The complaints about lag are almost exclusively limited to large WvW encounters. (~100 + people fighting)

I don't know enough about the DX infrastructure to be able to say if DX11 would make that big of an impact on WvW lag, but I can say that it's not the primary cause. The game is currently not very taxing on the GPU atm. Most of the lag is either CPU driven or latency.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Lusts
    Need I say that the BETA build is most likely (and I think I've heard this from a source) not the official release or graphics. Like some BETA's I've tested, they released a beta build without high resolution textures, DX10-11 support, and various other things. They only released a stable build for test purposes.
    And before someone attacks me with the "Why not add the high graphics so we can test those?!?!one!!1", graphics testing is not required for a beta test seeing as graphic bugs are easy to catch and would only require in-office testing.
    The point of a beta is to submit your feedback and report programming errors to the team. Such as weird AI behavior, weapon not acting the way it should and various other things like that.

I guess you never experienced SWTOR.

And i strongly disagree, graphics need as much public testing as anything else. You want to make sure if your setting range from lowest to highest can be run in events, and world PVP.
    If anything you need 100 people to show unexpected memory leaks and fragmentation due to cpu/GPU thread overload possibilities. Read UI overload due to Buffbars and choking FPS, sound thread overload due to 50 *klong* streams. etc

This needs excessive testing and engine optimizations in a large field.
    Else you end up with a crappy engine which can't handle more than 30 people.

They did this for world PVP with the current dx9 client. See the mmorpg column about dieing in a frozen screen - and unless they want to deliberately repeat the circle on dx10 during release on our backs, they better get the dx10 client out before release.