Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ive downloaded the gw2. but a problem

EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

I am having a problem, after i download it. It seem everything was okay. However when every I go to open the gw2. It want me to download the entire thing again.

So did it not download right teh first time are what?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Did you move it to a folder of your choice (mine is aptly named GuildWars2)?

After installing, did you create a shortcut from the GW2 file in there and drag the shortcut to the desktop? I made the mistake of dragging the GW2 file itself, not a shortcut, saw the same issue.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Volkon

Did you move it to a folder of your choice (mine is aptly named GuildWars2)?

After installing, did you create a shortcut from the GW2 file in there and drag the shortcut to the desktop? I made the mistake of dragging the GW2 file itself, not a shortcut, saw the same issue.

Sorry dont understand what you saying, all there is, is 1 file that is on my computer and when I click on it, it want me to redownload it.

I'm I missing something and if so plz explain

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

there should be 3 files in the folder with gw2.exe (or whatever it's called).  If you've moved gw2.exe without the other file, it'll try to redownload them.

Hmm... ok, when you downloaded the one file, that should have been a quickie. You then save that file into a new folder (such as GuildWars2). In the new folder, double click the file and you'll get the actual download that takes awhile.

If you didn't create a new folder to put it in and left it in the temp area it'll be confused because it needs a warm and cozy place to put the .DAT file.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by EsLafiel

I am having a problem, after i download it. It seem everything was okay. However when every I go to open the gw2. It want me to download the entire thing again.

So did it not download right teh first time are what?

I'm assuming you DLed the Gw2.zip file?

If that's the case, you need to extract that into a new folder (I made one on the /C:/Program Files/ drive called 'Guild Wars 2'). Once you do that, running the .exe you find will bring up the auto-patcher. Let that run, as what you DLed isn't the full game.

(I have an older one, so I dunno if it's the same size, but my .zip was like 8megs, and the game is now ~13.5Gigs)

Hope that helps. If that doesn't answer your question / you are still having issues, lemme know.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

All these should be in a folder you create. Use GW2.exe to launch the game.

chrome.log

Gw2.dat

Gw2.exe

Gw2.tmp

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

Hmm... ok, when you downloaded the one file, that should have been a quickie. You then save that file into a new folder (such as GuildWars2). In the new folder, double click the file and you'll get the actual download that takes awhile.

If you didn't create a new folder to put it in and left it in the temp area it'll be confused because it needs a warm and cozy place to put the .DAT file.

Okay I put it in a folder name GuildWars2.exe and when I did 2 other thigns pop up (Gw2.dat,Gw2.Tmp)

But when I click on those files it just ends ina  dead end.

So I should now download the the Gw2 file again since it in that folder, are should I take out those 2 things and then down load teh Gw2 one.

Okay I put it in a folder name GuildWars2.exe and when I did 2 other thigns pop up (Gw2.dat,Gw2.Tmp)

So I should now download the the Gw2 file again since it in that folder, are should I take out those 2 things and then down load teh Gw2 one.

Double click the .exe and it should start the real download.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

What's your native language? Maybe someone knows it and can help you better.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

DO NOT touch Gw2.dat or Gw2.Tmp.

These are the main game files that will get updated via the patcher.

Simply double-click on gw2.exe and let the patcher run (it may take some time to fully update, so just minimize it).

Once that finishes, you should be all set for this weekend! =)

• CruizerkeCruizerke Member UncommonPosts: 68

Step 1 : Download GW2.exe from http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

Step 2: Create a new folder named Guild Wars 2 Beta

Step 3: Put GW2.exe ( the file you just downloaded ) into the new folder you just created

Step 4 : Double click GW2.exe

Step 5 : Patcher will start and download the client, in the Guild Wars 2 Beta folder you will see only 3 files while downloading.. GW2.exe, GW2.dat, and GW2.tmp

Step 6: Wait until patcher is finished

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by cruiserlck

Step 3: Put GW2.exe ( the file you just downloaded ) into the new folder you just created

Step 5 : Patcher with start and download the client, in the Guild Wars 2 Beta folder you will see only 3 files while downloading.. GW2.exe, GW2.dat, and GW2.tmp

This does not apply for people who are downloading gw2 for the first time right? just making sure :P

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by sk8chalif

Originally posted by cruiserlck

Step 5 : Patcher with start and download the client, in the Guild Wars 2 Beta folder you will see only 3 files while downloading.. GW2.exe, GW2.dat, and GW2.tmp

This does not apply for people who are downloading gw2 for the first time right? just making sure :P

It works for them too, yes.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CruizerkeCruizerke Member UncommonPosts: 68

Yeah, it works for first timers. That's pretty much the instructions right from the GW2 Forums.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Amjoco

chrome.log

Gw2.dat

Gw2.exe

Gw2.tmp

Maybe dumb question, but...I have done all that after the download. when i run the "gw2.exe, it takes me to the log in screen where i enter my email and password.....it then wants to run the game (which it cant obviously) without patching....is that normal? am i set to rock at this point with no patching required unless they add one later?

Edit:

NM, i think its fixed, yay!....i renamed the folder i created for those files to "Guild Wars 2 Beta" from "GW2"

I then right clicked the folder to uncheck "read only"...it asked me if i wanted to also include the sub folders...yes.

Bingo, it ran the patcher and updated fairly small patch. I then sent the patcher to the desktop.

I think i'm ready to roll!

ah shit, well when i clicked the link and the gw2 download i clicked it right away and its started downliading, so what i do now.?

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

ah shit, well when i clicked the link and the gw2 download i clicked it right away and its started downliading, so what i do now.?

Do a search from C: looking for gw2.* files.  Once found, create your appropiate folder, and copy those files into that folder.  Run gw2.exe.

• seiyamiharaseiyamihara Member Posts: 1

Nothing. Just wait until the files finish downloading and then move them all, together, to the folder of your choice and proceed from there.

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Do a search from C: looking for gw2.* files.  Once found, create your appropiate folder, and copy those files into that folder.  Run gw2.exe.

Ya, found them :P thanks

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by wrightstuf

chrome.log

Gw2.dat

Gw2.exe

Gw2.tmp

Maybe dumb question, but...I have done all that after the download. when i run the "gw2.exe, it takes me to the log in screen where i enter my email and password.....it then wants to run the game (which it cant obviously) without patching....is that normal? am i set to rock at this point with no patching required unless they add one later?

You are set to ROCK most righteous!

If there is a new build, the client will kick you out of the game.  When you re-run gw2.exe it will patch you to the new build then bring you to the sign-in page to continue.  

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Originally posted by wrightstuf

chrome.log

Gw2.dat

Gw2.exe

Gw2.tmp

You are set to ROCK most righteous!

If there is a new build, the client will kick you out of the game.  When you re-run gw2.exe it will patch you to the new build then bring you to the sign-in page to continue.  

Saweeet! thx kind sir and see ya ingame on friday!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The .zip file just contains gw2.exe, which is the launcher and patcher all in one.

You can run the .exe from any where and it will download the rest of the client, most of which goes into the GW2.dat file, which it will create and expand for you, no need to do anything but double cick GW2.exe and let it download evertyhting else.

As long as you keep the GW2.exe and GW2.dat in the same folder, you are fine. The .dat will take up about 13GB on your disk. If the .dat file is about 13GB and double clicking the .exe brings you to the loading screen that asks for your account and password, you are good to go.

Might as well enter your email addy and password. If your account is set up right and you have the correct email address and password, a message will op up telling you basically that your account is ready, but there isn't currently a beta event in progress. If so, you'll know evertyhing is good for the WBE.

Just to be clear, the same GW2.exe file you cick to download the client and look for patches also is the launcher for the log in screen.

As far as where to put it, any where is fine, as long as the .exe and the .dat are in the same folder. They did mention that some people may have problems running the game from within the "Program Files" folders on some Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems. So, just put it some where else. (You can move the two files together to another folder after downloading or running the log in screen and it appears to work just fine, so no need to redownload everything if you want to put it on another HD).

One final note, it was mentioned that there may be patches between now and the start of the WBE, so it wouldn't hurt to launch the gw2.exe a few times between now and Friday afternoon, so you can hopefuly be completely up to date when the event does begin.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• FBraegenFBraegen Member Posts: 5

I too am having problems with this. I recieved an E-mail from the Guild Wars 2 Team, stating that I could participate in the Beta play this weekend and naturally I was over-joyed. So I followed all the instructions and downloaded the GW2.exe.

However when I try to load it up so that it can install the data and all of the updates required, it just crashes. I have downloaded it multiple times, made sure it is a seperate folder, the folder and all of its contents are not Read-only, I have the space required and meet the minimum requirements. My friend also recieved the E-mail and he has had no problems with it and it is downloading for him.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? In my folder currently I have the following files :

Gw2.exe

Gw2.tmp

Local (DAT)

ArenaNet (Text Document)

Crash.dmp

Originally posted by FBraegen

I too am having problems with this. I recieved an E-mail from the Guild Wars 2 Team, stating that I could participate in the Beta play this weekend and naturally I was over-joyed. So I followed all the instructions and downloaded the GW2.exe.

However when I try to load it up so that it can install the data and all of the updates required, it just crashes. I have downloaded it multiple times, made sure it is a seperate folder, the folder and all of its contents are not Read-only, I have the space required and meet the minimum requirements. My friend also recieved the E-mail and he has had no problems with it and it is downloading for him.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? In my folder currently I have the following files :

Gw2.exe

Gw2.tmp

Local (DAT)

ArenaNet (Text Document)

Crash.dmp

No GW2.DAT?

Also, where'd you put your folder?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FBraegenFBraegen Member Posts: 5

That file is not there, no. I was assuming it was created once the installation began. I have tried putting the file on my desktop, in my gaming folder, on my gaming hard-drive and even in my normal documents folder.