Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet blog about World (server) transfers and list

Comments

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

So much for being able to change worlds at will, like they said you could.

While you can change your home world, there is a limit of one world transfer every seven days per account and a charge of 1,800 gems for each transfer.

Don't mess up. That'll be like 15 bucks.

• Cy7echRCy7echR Member Posts: 3

Sorry should've read it a second time =X.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Betakodo

While you can change your home world, there is a limit of one world transfer every seven days per account and a charge of 1,800 gems for each transfer.

Dude are you serious?  First off, they never said you'd be able to 'change worlds at will' for just nothing guaranteed.  As the above poster said, your WvWvW home server stays the same which is only fair.

Secondly, the fact that you CAN change worlds is something big.  It's a service.

I think some MMORPG players have somehow been so very spoiled sometimes... but I'm not sure what by since most MMORPG's aren't that great.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SerpentarSerpentar Member Posts: 246

Curious as to how this 'guesting' feature works, and how we are able to add people to our friends list if they are on another server.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

So in order to play on another server, you have to have a friend on the other server?  Does he have to be online for you to play there?  Does he have to actively invite you?  Do you have to stay near him in order to stay on the other server?  If he logs off, can you continue to play on the other server?  The whole guesting system sounds like it's going to be a major pain to use.

It also doesn't address the critical question:  what if you're trying to get a group together for given content?  Can you find and group with people on other servers?  Or will you end up with the ridiculous situation of a lot of games where 50 people want to do a given instance, but not a single group can be formed, because they're scattered across too many different servers.

-----

"I think some MMORPG players have somehow been so very spoiled sometimes... but I'm not sure what by since most MMORPG's aren't that great."

I suppose that your perspective on this depends on what other games you're comparing it to.  Given that this is Guild Wars 2, perhaps the most natural comparison is to Guild Wars 1.  And Guild Wars 1 put everyone in American servers in the same outpost on the same map to make it easy for them to find each other and start a group.  The exception was if there were too many such people, in which case, it made multiple instances and let you hop between them freely.  If that wasn't enough, you could freely hop to other region and language servers, too.

• maskmurdamaskmurda Member UncommonPosts: 80

I love this idea. You make friends all over and now I can play with them(with logical restrictions) cross server? This is a great idea and I like it. People are gonna complaina bout anything they can, but I can't find anything but logic in anything A-Net does. My only wish is DLC-esq content like "Event packs" that release subsequent content every few months. Give players the choice to pay for the content the want to play. I think this will help with future funding and give them a little extra for giving us an amazing game with no monthly fees.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

15 bucks? That's a good deal for transfer all your characters at once, blizz for example charge 25 bucks per character.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm not really sure if they mean you literally have to have friends to play on another server, or if they are just assuming the obvious that you wouldn't want to play on another server unless it was because you had friends there. Even if it's the type of thing where you need someone to extend you a "guest pass", that's not a big deal. If you have friends there, you already have someone to ask, if not, just ask on the forum for that server.

I guess a "guest pass" system would make sense, in order to prevent people from trying to organize some civil disobedience action by flooding a particular server, or to prevent willy nilly server hopping looking for particular meta-events or Epic events to "crash".

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by fiontar

I'm not really sure if they mean you literally have to have friends to play on another server, or if they are just assuming the obvious that you wouldn't want to play on another server unless it was because you had friends there. Even if it's the type of thing where you need someone to extend you a "guest pass", that's not a big deal. If you have friends there, you already have someone to ask, if not, just ask on the forum for that server.

I guess a "guest pass" system would make sense, in order to prevent people from trying to organize some civil disobedience action by flooding a particular server, or to prevent willy nilly server hopping looking for particular meta-events or Epic events to "crash".

Ya, for this weekend's purposes, the only thing to note is that the 'guest pass' system won't be available.

So yes, you have 3 days to coordinate w/ your friends about which server you will be on.

BTW, 48 game servers for the 1st WBE? I think that at least doubles my most optimistic expectations.

For the Tera pre-order weekends I participated in, they were lucky to modestly populate four servers. I'm not sure if I can even remember any MMO I've played having more than a dozen servers for an Open Beta just before the launch. (Well, maybe WoW, but that was a long time ago, so I'm not really sure how many there were). :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by fiontar

Ya, for this weekend's purposes, the only thing to note is that the 'guest pass' system won't be available.

So yes, you have 3 days to coordinate w/ your friends about which server you will be on.

Yeah, sorry, should have made that point myself that the "Guesting" system will not be active for the first WBE, though everyone will be able to get a free 2,000 gems for the event and could, if they wanted to, use that to buy a home server transfer. Still much better to coordinate with friends ahead of time.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

They NEVER said you could change your home world wihtout a fee. There has been threads speculating about the cost and how long of a wait. We now know that. This is actaully big news.

They have said you would be able to switch servers to play pve with friends. THAT they also have given a little info on, not much though. Looks like that is something they are still looking at and not in the game yet. That is hype, btw, a feature that is not shown in real time. Granted if this is something that makes or breaks the game for you, so be it.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by Honner

15 bucks? That's a good deal for transfer all your characters at once, blizz for example charge 25 bucks per character.

Actually it is 1800 gems.  Gems can be purchases for money or ingame gold.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

no info what colors each server will be playing for in WvWvW? blue team, red team, green team?
    more than anything, that's the info that i really need

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by illyana

no info what colors each server will be playing for in WvWvW? blue team, red team, green team?

From what I've seen it is probably randomly assigned when you get your matchup... When they do the server pairings it won;t be like "ok, lets take one from the green group, one from the red group, and one from the blue group". It will more likely be "ok, they have a ranking of 1257, lets pair them with these 2 other servers at 1257, and each gets a color assignment.

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

From what I've seen it is probably randomly assigned when you get your matchup... When they do the server pairings it won;t be like "ok, lets take one from the green group, one from the red group, and one from the blue group". It will more likely be "ok, they have a ranking of 1257, lets pair them with these 2 other servers at 1257, and each gets a color assignment.

Yeah, your server's color can change from match up to match up. Even if you knew the server colors for the first match ups, it will be changing later anyway.

If you really want a particular color just for the weekend, for what ever reason, maybe you can ask around on the forums before you create your first character and chose a server.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I also think there are things you can get, for long term aesthetics, which change what color your team appears as to you.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

i tihnk thuis is a good thing it means no server hopping   for WvWvW  to be in the good server.  if server hopping is aloud for free   some servers would die out  wile others would get overloaded  for being winners.

problems are some people may end up on difrent servers then  people they want to be in a guild with unless there cross world  guild possible.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

sigh...get the facts right

- you can change world at will. (though not working in beta yet)

and you pay for changing home world. and its limited to once a week.

Its perfectly fair, make sense to limit winner joining homeworlds cost money. And you can still visit any world in the game .

Whats not to like!!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Leodious

I also think there are things you can get, for long term aesthetics, which change what color your team appears as to you.

That's only for structured PvP.

• boikymarboikymar Member Posts: 60

Am I the only one that noticed the EU servers have WAY cooler names than the US servers? I'm outraged. OUTRAGED!

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

I really would like to see a clarification on the guesting feature. Am I free to roam on any server or do I need some sort of invite to go to other servers. 

Of all the positive things said. The ability to play on any server is more important to me than most others. How many MMO's give you the ability to play with anyone regardless of which continent they live on?

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by boikymar

Am I the only one that noticed the EU servers have WAY cooler names than the US servers? I'm outraged. OUTRAGED!

Really ?

US Worlds

Anvil Rock

Borlis Pass

Yak’s Bend

Henge of Denravi

Maguuma

Sorrow’s Furnace

Kaineng

Jade Quarry

Fort Aspenwood

Ehmry Bay