Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No mmorpg has captured that one moment in time, like WoW has.

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

I am sorry to envoke whitney hutton here but I heard this song and I realized no other mmorpg has given me that one moment in time feeling like WoW has. Especially pre BG WoW. When people took pride in their faction choose, when you either wore red, or if you didnt wear red.

When you were just a level 15, venturing around the barrens, trying to turn in your quest, but as you look in the distance a army of alliance players march to the barrens cross-roads, you knew you had no chance taking them on, and you heard the alert going off that the crossroads was being attacked, horde npcs every where, the low level defenders scattered and dismayed, things looking hopeless...

but then you hear the for the horde, looking in the distance, from level 20 to level 60, whether running or on their mounts, whethering still wearing greys or decked in purples, they marched together and defended the cross roads, the battle raging for hours, until the alliance were pushed back to astrannar, pushing them back, astranaar defenses holding strong, but we wont stop until we strike moonrunner. The defenses still hard, we push back but more and more horde soldeiers falling.

recruits coming from splinter tree post to help out, but coming from two roads surrounding us was more back up of alliance players, a front row of hunters striking us down with their guns, mage aoes every where, warlocks dropping down their pets.

THIS WAS WAR PEOPLE THIS WAS REAL WORLD PVP. DONT LET ANY ONE TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT, THIS WASNT THAT AGE OF CAMLOT ISH, THIS WASNT THAT UO ISH, THIS WAS THAT WORLD OF WARCRAFT WORLD PVP, YOU EITHER ENLISTED IN TM/SS WAR OR THE XROADS/ASHENVALE WARS.

GOD I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO BRING BACK VANELLA PRE BATTLETGROUND WOW. YOU PEOPLE DIDNT KNOW HOW GOOD YOU HAD IT, THEN YOU RUINED IT, WOW WAS A SANDBOX/THEME HYBRID NOW ITS JUST A  MCDONALDS/DISNEYLAND HYBRID.

YOU ALL RUINED WORLD OF WARCRAFT, I HATE YOU ALL A ND I WONT GIVE UP UNTIL VANEILLA WOW IS BACK, NOMATICS NEVER GIVES UP, NOMATICS NEVER FORGETS. VANEILLA WILL NEVER DIE, THATS A TRUE GAMERS MMORPG, YOU WANNA STAY WITH YOUR THEMEPARKS, WELL YOU CAN STAY WITH THEM FOREVER, WE GON  BURY YOU THERE.

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I, too, am a fan of whitney hutton, and I believe this post could be one of our civilization's greatest achievements. Bravo good sir.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

10/10 Good Job OP

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I can't help but feel sorry that this is your alamo for what an MMO should be. I'm sorry, but Barrens PvP where you can completely choose not to PvP (because it's a Horde area after all) seems so insignificant.

On a side note, the only reason no one will ever capture what WoW did is because they had first mover advantages. It's like saying "will no soda beverage ever be able to outdo Coke?" The answer is a resounding, "No". It's all a matter of being the first into a market - Take a business class or two and you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Swammy22Swammy22 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Holy Fark, learn to speill!!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by helthros

On a side note, the only reason no one will ever capture what WoW did is because they had first mover advantages. It's like saying "will no soda beverage ever be able to outdo Coke?" The answer is a resounding, "No". It's all a matter of being the first into a market - Take a business class or two and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Except that WoW wasn't the first MMORPG on the market.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

I daresay Everquest  back in 1999 did a very good job of "capturing that one moment in time" very well for me.  I still recall the mainstream media publicly debating the merits and flaws associated with "Evercrack," with stories coming out of people losing their jobs and their families because of their "addiction" quite frequently.  Even Rush Limbaugh got in on the action.

I can't help but feel sorry that this is your alamo for what an MMO should be. I'm sorry, but Barrens PvP where you can completely choose not to PvP (because it's a Horde area after all) seems so insignificant.

First?

First at what?

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by NyQuil81

I daresay Everquest  back in 1999 did a very good job of "capturing that one moment in time" very well for me.  I still recall the mainstream media publicly debating the merits and flaws associated with "Evercrack," with stories coming out of people losing their jobs and their families because of their "addiction" quite frequently.  Even Rush Limbaugh got in on the action.

Hell, yeah! That was my magic moment.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

WoW is the only MMO that captured that one moment in time for me.  That momemt being, when I felt my braincells dying at the horror of a game and community they were enduring.

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by NyQuil81

GTFO with this garbage. Who cares what rush limbaugh did. Everquest stopped becoming evercrack when World of MaryJane was released.

For me, it would be Rift's beta events.

Man that was epic. War was everywhere. we were overrun with mobs of NPC destroying everything in their path. also the Bosses use to wander around. So there were bigg fights. the invaders wasnt just elite NPC. they were boss elites. scary stuff as a low level. the only time I felt that again was when Ember Isle was introduced for the first time. Total Epic. the fights were harsh....

• demadildemadil Member UncommonPosts: 88

Srry but standing on a hill on lok and the star wars music in the backround did it for me...I was taking a break from collecting dna of creatures so i can make some new  pets     oh srry thats kinda complicated. back to wow. I was standing on a hill on lok then the music started...

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Man that was epic. War was everywhere. we were overrun with mobs of NPC destroying everything in their path. also the Bosses use to wander around. So there were bigg fights. the invaders wasnt just elite NPC. they were boss elites. scary stuff as a low level. the only time I felt that again was when Ember Isle was introduced for the first time. Total Epic. the fights were harsh....

No.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by nomatics856

No.

No what?  Are you saying he played a different beta and experienced this?  [Mod Edit]

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Not sure how zerg fests and random server crashes/fps lag was considered fun or even good World PVP but sure. WoW has never really had good world PvP and never will. And i did play WoW from the start, was the first priest to 60 on Horde side Chromagus, next up was Remy. I even remember me and a 50+ warrior named Jovan being the only two over 50 for about a week, and grouping with low 40's in Marudon when that was the best instance because BRD was a messy pull and bugged and Upper BR was still closed. Yep, those days. When the best achievement was getting that dam fishing pole. When raiding Rag was freaking hard and long taking days to clear. Now that's all a blur. But honestly I had better pvp in DaoC in 1v1 duels or in Frontier. Oh well, memories........

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

First?

First at what?

Sigh MMORPG.COM frequentors and their absolute dedication to semantics. Again, take a business class or two and you'll know what I'm talking about. It's not about being the 'first', it's about being one of the first to do it right.

What the OP described could have very easily been observed in UO, Everquest, DaOC, Asherons Call, Anarchy Online, Shadowbane etc etc . But this person first recognized this in WoW, because it was the first POPULAR MMMO where they experienced it.

[Mod Edit]

• ShaydrynShaydryn Member UncommonPosts: 16

OP, I'm glad you had fun, but you have my sympathies.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well done OP! :)

My fondest memory or first moment in WoW was I was with my son and we were both about levle 5 or 6. We came up near Maestras Post from the north heading around the corner towards Astrannar and there were 3 horde players coming towards us. This was our first ever WoW confrontation and I will never forget the battle. We lost fairly quickly, but that excitement had me hooked and I will never for get it. I too would love that feeling again! I salute you Vanilla WoW! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Well done OP! :)

My fondest memory or first moment in WoW was I was with my son and we were both about levle 5 or 6. We came up near Maestras Post from the north heading around the corner towards Astrannar and there were 3 horde players coming towards us. This was our first ever WoW confrontation and I will never forget the battle. We lost fairly quickly, but that excitement had me hooked and I will never for get it. I too would love that feeling again! I salute you Vanilla WoW! 

Haha, I miss WoW :( not this WoW but the good WoW :(

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Two very high level alliance guys tried ganking my Druid. I was barely able to make it to water and swam deep in seal form and they both chased me. I was able to keep the one guy rooted. Would have drowned both of them but the one roots got resisted. Oh well, at least the one guy had to watch his buddy get killed by a lowbie.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Badaboom

Two very high level alliance guys tried ganking my Druid. I was barely able to make it to water and swam deep in seal form and they both chased me. I was able to keep the one guy rooted. Would have drowned both of them but the one roots got resisted. Oh well, at least the one guy had to watch his buddy get killed by a lowbie.

Ah those good old memories. Not to be nostalgic or corney but it only happens once! like a first kiss. :D  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• defroststardefroststar Member UncommonPosts: 16

Crossroads and Tarren Mill/Southshore pvp were the best.  I would spend hours getting my ass handed to me and I loved it.  There were no rewards - just the satisfaction of pushing the other side back.    Everyone was doing it just for fun.   Ah, the good old days...

Originally posted by defroststar

Crossroads and Tarren Mill/Southshore pvp were the best.  I would spend hours getting my ass handed to me and I loved it.  There were no rewards - just the satisfaction of pushing the other side back.    Everyone was doing it just for fun.   Ah, the good old days...

Best thing about those wars was the fact it wasnt just level 50s and 60s, but all levels from level 10 on up all at war together and every one had a role.

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

EVE Did it for me, the first actual huge alliance battle i participated in, i was nervous, just bought my first megathron and fitted full T2 Modules, actually feeling like i had something at stake, remembering when my ship was almost popped and the gut feeling i had was horrible, and the hope i got as a logistics ship repped me back to full armor, and my cap was recharged for my shield boosters, good times, we barely made it out alive and lost a pos. That was the greatest MMO moment i've ever had, except when WAR first came out and i remember getting to 40 on Iron Rock on my Shadow Warrior and the pvp was amazing to me, huge battles, thats gone too though. Sucks...

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

EVE Did it for me, the first actual huge alliance battle i participated in, i was nervous, just bought my first megathron and fitted full T2 Modules, actually feeling like i had something at stake, remembering when my ship was almost popped and the gut feeling i had was horrible, and the hope i got as a logistics ship repped me back to full armor, and my cap was recharged for my shield boosters, good times, we barely made it out alive and lost a pos. That was the greatest MMO moment i've ever had, except when WAR first came out and i remember getting to 40 on Iron Rock on my Shadow Warrior and the pvp was amazing to me, huge battles, thats gone too though. Sucks...

everything was good till this. No.