Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta client officially ready to download :D

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Originally posted by DeaconX

Where the heck is this thing downloading it to -- I couldn't choose a download directory.... which is not cool.  I have a separate drive for games, away from my OS on an SSD...

It downloads the files to the same place you have the .exe file you downloaded.

Cheers!

edit: The files are gw2.exe, gw2.tmp, and Gw2.dat

Hope that helps ya mate!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Epicent

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by Margrave

This download sucks. Can't get the link in the invite email to work, their site download link for the install exe doesn't work either. This is just sad. To me this is a bad sign, starting off with people not even able to download the installer. Wow. It's not like they don't have the numbers of how many have pre-purchased.... sad.
    No, I know... if I was stuck as well I would be pulling out whatever little hair remains on my head. Thankfully I got a jump start on the downloading. 48% woot!

10 percent here :). you guys sure this is the north american client? I see a bunch of flags in the upper right hand part of the client. everyone else have this? the top one looks like a mix between american flags among others.

There's no NA or EU client. There's an english client, a german client, and a french client.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by vmoped

Where the heck is this thing downloading it to -- I couldn't choose a download directory.... which is not cool.  I have a separate drive for games, away from my OS on an SSD...

It downloads the files to the same place you have the .exe file you downloaded.

Cheers!

Thank you :) that's not a bad thing as that's on the same drive as my games ;)

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Its dowloads to where you saved the EXE you downloaded. According to the instructions its recommended you make your own GW2 beta folder on Desktop. Move the exe that you downloaded to that folder and run it from there. That is where all the files will be.

• poweruopoweruo Member UncommonPosts: 31

Been done for quiet some time now with the downloading. Right now i just have it open for the VERY soothing background music. Well done ANet

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

when you download it. before you double click and open it, right click it and open containing folder. then drag it out to your desktop. from here right click your desktop and make a new folder. name that folder Guild Wars 2 Beta. Then take the exe file you downloaded and put it in that folder. then open it and start downloading.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

This download sucks. Can't get the link in the invite email to work, their site download link for the install exe doesn't work either. This is just sad. To me this is a bad sign, starting off with people not even able to download the installer. Wow. It's not like they don't have the numbers of how many have pre-purchased.... sad.

No, I know... if I was stuck as well I would be pulling out whatever little hair remains on my head. Thankfully I got a jump start on the downloading. 48% woot!

10 percent here :). you guys sure this is the north american client? I see a bunch of flags in the upper right hand part of the client. everyone else have this? the top one looks like a mix between american flags among others.

Yeah, I'm downloading the same one. Its a half American half British flag, then you have the German and French flags. I can't guarantee 100% that it is the NA server, but others have said that it is most likely for us in NA. Lets cross our fingers haha.

53% :-)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I just realized that I was sitting here completely transfixed, staring at the red line as it grows longer and longer and BWE gets closer and closer.  O M G I'm going to explode........

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by kanezfan

There's no NA or EU client. There's an english client, a german client, and a french client.

Seeing as everything on the downloader is in english, would it be a safe assumption to say that this is indeed the english client? :P

Yeah, I'm downloading the same one. Its a half American half British flag, then you have the German and French flags. I can't guarantee 100% that it is the NA server, but others have said that it is most likely for us in NA. Lets cross our fingers haha.

53% :-)

Why does it have the flags of all 3 clients. that doesnt make sense to me. maybe everyone gets the same downloader and it directs you to the correct client someway?

YES!! finally got the emal!! it feels more official now. I feel like I just got picked for a team in the school yard haha.

Luckily, I didn't wait for the email to start downloading the client - 57% woot!

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Already at 10% not bad...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The client launcher is the dowloader/patcher as well. You will end up with the GW2.exe and the GW2.dat file, which is where all the everything else is kept.

The .exe will download the client  to the folder it is located in, so just put the .exe where you want the game stored. If you already DL'd it, but want to move it, just move the .exe and the .dat to where ever you want it. Just keep them in the same folder as each other. Even though the .dat is big, it's just a single file and on most systems can be moved around pretty quickly.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

go away 502

I'm getting a headache from continuously staring at the computer while watching the GW2 downloader making its way to the 100% mark. Going to have to take some tylenol! haha

62%!!

• boikymarboikymar Member Posts: 60

I'm getting a login error when I enter my username and password! Password reset isn't working and I've put in every single password that I use! Can anyone help?

Originally posted by boikymar

I'm getting a login error when I enter my username and password! Password reset isn't working and I've put in every single password that I use! Can anyone help?

When all else fails, email Anet and/or GW2 team and ask them for help. Everytime I've asked them for anything, they were very quick to answer and help me out.

• GezusGezus Member Posts: 10

anyone have an alternate lnk for the client download? .. been staring at 502 for an hour now.

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Downloading at 1MB per sec...not bad.

Somehow i expected much worse and a much harder process, "download to the directory you like and double click" is by far the easiest method i've seen.

What are you trying to login to?

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by Gezus

anyone have an alternate lnk for the client download? .. been staring at 502 for an hour now.

Me too :-(  There site is more than likely overloaded.  While fustrating, leads to a great sign of the interest :-)

Edit: Just visited the help link and it basically says "try again later" if you get 502 errors :-P

• boikymarboikymar Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by kanezfan

What are you trying to login to?

The link that it takes you to when you click the beta email.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Anet fail. i had to use the cloudfront link someone posted. thanks a lot for that. im disappointed they didnt prepare for this, considering all the hype.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Originally posted by sonoggi

Anet fail. i had to use the cloudfront link someone posted. thanks a lot for that. im disappointed they didnt prepare for this, considering all the hype.

I hear ya, but the volume has to be rediculous... cant really blame them for that.

Can you post the cloudfront link?  How can you trust its not a virus?

Originally posted by sonoggi

Did you notice that the cloudfront link went [Mod Edit]

As in it's hosted by Anet? So not a fail, just it's being hammered by hundreds of thousands of people simultaneously.