Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This beta weekend, riot against the gems and cash shop

BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

We keep hearing about how feedback from the beta weekend will determine what's put in the game and release, so on the feedback forms this weekend, be sure to put negative feedback in every form regarding gems and the cash shop. Of course, go ahead and look at all the crap that gold can buy you. The most expensive I believe will be the commander position for WvW and PvE along with prestiege.

Down with legalized cheating and unfairness! Down with cash shop in a $60 game!

Remember, gold buying is illegal in other online games for a reason. Gamers, rise up like we did in Operation Rainfall! Except this time against companies trying to squeeze more cash out of us! Enough with on the disc DLC and cash shops in non F2P games. It's time we as gamers take a stand! Arenanet needs to fight the gold farmers instead of becoming the gold farmers themselves to profit. They haven't fought the farmers yet and yet they implement legalized RMT? Backwards.

Kudos to the heroes who reported Capcom for having on disc DLC to the better business bureau. You can be a hero too! Complain about gems and the cash shop in every feedback form you get, and on the official beta forums.

Comments

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Sir I diagree and believe you don't know how cash shops work

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

They work by you paying money? I believe they are the primary income for games that cost $0, that is free to play games.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i doubt we even get to see the gem shop til release.   but feel free to "occupy Lion's Arch" all you want.

I've got the straight edge.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

If only we could have down with legalized trolling.....

That said, Sir OP, I will look through the game, will look through the shop, and WILL express concerns with anything I see that I feel will reduce mmy enjoyment of the game, if I find any.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

At first I didn't want to purchase anything from the cashshop, but if you think about it it helps build expansions. I'm all for purchasing and supporting my new gw2crack habit.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

very very very rarely do cash shops give you an actual advantage, most are cosmetics.  And I will say without a doubt with no prior research what so ever that Arenanet won't straight up sell in game currency...... and its rediculous to think so

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Betakodo

They work by you paying money? I believe they are the primary income for games that cost $0, that is free to play games.

Wrong again its buy to play first.They get paid..Then its free forever..Now shell out that 50 to 70 dollars  to buy GW2..image

Edit add on

I retired retroactively..Haha

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

We shall see how op the cash shop is.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• EruielEruiel Member UncommonPosts: 75

As far as leaked info on the subject goes, there hasn't been anything game breaking, other sub games have cash shops that sell vanity item, it's even more a necessity for gw2 to have one because they are sub-free, ofc we shouldn't accept a cash shop that sells p2w things but there has been no evidence of the sort...your call for riot came a tad too early

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I would hope you'd at least be playing the game and beta testing.   You know submitting bug reports.  If I was Anet and I saw you werent doing that, Id kick you out of beta.  You'd deserve it. 

Do your job.  Or dont log in.  I swear Betas have gotten so funky these days.  Seems the players and the developers themselves have forgotten the purpose of them. 

Originally posted by Amjoco

At first I didn't want to purchase anything from the cashshop, but if you think about it it helps build expansions. I'm all for purchasing and supporting my new gw2crack habit.

I disagree. The original box purchase helps build expansions, and they knowledge that they're going to charge you for the expansions is what helps build them. Think about it, how does a game get developed in the first place if there was no cash shop to support it before it even released? The price they have planned to charge you for the expansion is what builds expansions. There is no need for cash shop, that is just a convenient lie.

Corehaven, I paid $60 to be in the beta. Oooohhh my job. Umad you not get in? Besides, who knows if the beta will just be anything more than the builds shown at PAX anyways?

given the examples of DCUO and DDO which actually just sold the expansions and other account options, as well as DLCs, also in ddo true you could buy items with magical qualities, but nothing was of a quality you would want to even think about starting end game content with....

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

We keep hearing about how feedback from the beta weekend will determine what's put in the game and release, so on the feedback forms this weekend, be sure to put negative feedback in every form regarding gems and the cash shop. Of course, go ahead and look at all the crap that gold can buy you. The most expensive I believe will be the commander position for WvW and PvE along with prestiege.

Down with legalized cheating and unfairness! Down with cash shop in a $60 game!

Remember, gold buying is illegal in other online games for a reason. Gamers, rise up like we did in Operation Rainfall! Except this time against companies trying to squeeze more cash out of us! Enough with on the disc DLC and cash shops in non F2P games. It's time we as gamers take a stand! Arenanet needs to fight the gold farmers instead of becoming the gold farmers themselves to profit. They haven't fought the farmers yet and yet they implement legalized RMT? Backwards.

Kudos to the heroes who reported Capcom for having on disc DLC to the better business bureau. You can be a hero too! Complain about gems and the cash shop in every feedback form you get, and on the official beta forums.

I fully support this. 

Anything we as a community can do to defeat the scourge of the cash shop, we should do!

Disregarding whether anything in the cash shop will be OP or P2W, consider GW2 with the cash shop, and then consider GW2 without the cash shop. The latter will be better purely because it does not have the cash shop in it and all the negative connotations that are automatically associated with one. As soon as people hear there is a cash shop, regardless of what is in it or not they will form negative opinions because of the stigma associated with a cash shop

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Not to worry OP.... I plan on forking over mad cash in support of the game if I like it. Bling-bling champ.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I disagree. The original box purchase helps build expansions, and they knowledge that they're going to charge you for the expansions is what helps build them. Think about it, how does a game get developed in the first place if there was no cash shop to support it before it even released? The price they have planned to charge you for the expansion is what builds expansions. There is no need for cash shop, that is just a convenient lie.

Corehaven, I paid $60 to be in the beta. Who knows if the beta will just be anything more than the builds shown at PAX anyways?

No, you paid 60 bucks to purchase an entire game. You're getting the beta access as an incentive to buy it before you can see it.

Look, whether the box price or the cash shop keeps the game running is entirely irrelevant. You know how much I paid for GW2? 60 bucks flat. Know how much I intend to pay for the next year of gameplay for GW2? 0. I don't HAVE to buy cash items, not buying them doesn't look like it's going to prevent me from enjoying the game, or make it so I have no chance to complete in pvp against someone that does.

So, I paid 60 bucks for a game. That's the same amount as 4 months of a normal monthly subscription.  If I get 4 months out of the game, I got my money's worth.If I get more, I'm happy.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I plan to spend around $15 a month in the CS while I'm actively playing GW2 and a smaller amount if I play for less than a full month. Can't get expansions and eventually GW3 without giving Arena.net monies.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

I plan to spend around $15 a month in the CS while I'm actively playing GW2 and a smaller amount if I play for less than a full month. Can't get expansions and eventually GW3 without giving Arena.net monies.

Yes. You can. Thats why you and everyone else are paying $60 for the game and then probably (pure guess) $40 or so for each expansion.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm pro gems. Now everyone is on even footing instead of people getting to buy gold illegally.

And I can buy gems with gold which means I can buy cash shop items with gold.

So no, I'm not rioting against the cash shop.

Originally posted by graggok

very very very rarely do cash shops give you an actual advantage, most are cosmetics.  And I will say without a doubt with no prior research what so ever that Arenanet won't straight up sell in game currency...... and its rediculous to think so

Yes, they do. $ --> Gems --> Sell Gems to other players for in game currency

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

I too believe in paying developers to continue eating so they will continue to develop the game i like.

Its amazing how many people think that (games/music/video) is theirs for free just because they want it, it has become a generation that think they are entitled to others work with none of their own.

Buy the game, play for a month, if you like it, spend a little change in the cash shop to pay their salaries, and heaven forbid, let the company make a profit.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

They won't sell ingame currency themselves, but they will be selling gems which you can buy from Anet and then use those gems to buy ingame currency from other players.   So you will be able to buy gems with cash and buy ingame currency with gems.  Effectively buying ingame gold with cash.  I am not claiming this is the end of the world or even bad, I'm just saying it is there.

Originally posted by colddog04

I'm pro gems. Now everyone is on even footing instead of people getting to buy gold illegally.

That doesn't solve the problem of people using real world money to buy in game stuff, specifically currency. There's a reason it was illegal, it's because it was unfair and not sporting. At worst, it could be like a war of throwing dollars at Arenanet for advantages in game.

Originally posted by Archaegeo

I too believe in paying developers to continue eating so they will continue to develop the game i like.

Its amazing how many people think that (games/music/video) is theirs for free just because they want it, it has become a generation that think they are entitled to others work with none of their own.

I paid $60 for Guild Wars 2. Where's the part where I think it's free? The expansions will cost money too.

• EzekelEzekel Member Posts: 98

Corehaven, I paid $60 to be in the beta. Oooohhh my job. Umad you not get in? Besides, who knows if the beta will just be anything more than the builds shown at PAX anyways?

It took them 5 years to make GW2, that means they payed about 5 years worth of salaries from loans they need to pay off. If the average person from ANET makes just 30k a year and they have about 40 people thats 6 million in wages.

MMOs are incredibly pricey to make, and I would rather they have a cash shop then be forced to pump out expansions as fast as they did in GW1. If you dont like the cash shop then get out, its not going anywhere. Its not like they didnt tell you about it before you pre-purchased.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by stragen001

Yes, they do. $ --> Gems --> Sell Gems to other players for in game currency

Ah, but you see, it's a paradigm shift in wallet/gold transfer technology, you are misinforminated, thank you ArenaNet.
  • DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

If I'm going to fight the power, does this mean that I can't buy a pirate costume for $5 if the cash shop is live? Because I really want to be a Char mesmer pirate.

Also OP, will you be joining the rest of the beta weekenders in the MMORPG guild, because you're the kind of person with whom I'd like to do dynamic events.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

This discussion has been closed.