Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony is trying to patent lanparties/guildmeets!

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

http://tinyurl.com/7rjkjjb

Soon if you plan on meeting your guildmates IRL or try arrange lanparty over a game, you'll be infridging Sonys patent! Hooray for US patent system!

Comments

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Wow, just WOW.

Im just wondering how they can patent the LAN party, without holding patent on the LAN itself?

It seems that every LAN itself is a LAN party. Maybe not for the intent of gaming, but how then would they discern, intent.

Couldn't do that without having software on every operating system that monitors the LAN , and reports the activity to Sony.

I dunno man, wierd, or at least at first glance, it is, anyway.

I read just a snippet of this, there is undoubtedly more to it, like they are wanting to patent the LAN features of, their games/software, etc.

Or maybe they are going to make an easy LAN party device, or...... who knows, it's Sony.

Good find, at any rate.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I really was hoping to see:

Filed:

April 1, 2010

instead of orginaly:

Filed:

October 13, 2010

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Originally posted by Reklaw

I really was hoping to see:

Filed:

April 1, 2010

instead of orginaly:

Filed:

October 13, 2010

lol I missed that, didnt click on the link just googled it, never looked for a date, lol

however http://gamerfront.net/2012/04/sony-attempts-to-patent-lan-parties/19096

I guess your talking about the date they filed for the patent?

I guess your looking atthe date they filed for the patent?IK

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Looks to me like they are trying to patent software for the purposes of organizing lan parties...  Sometimes it's worth it to actually read things.

SUMMARY

[0005] The present invention provides for coordinating real-world gatherings to promote an online community.

[0006] In one implementation, a method of coordinating real-world gatherings to promote an online community is disclosed. The method includes: encouraging participants of the online community to participate in a real-world gathering by providing incentives for the participants; promoting familiarity among the participants by providing and introducing online community titles of the participants at the real-world gathering; and providing online benefits or rewards to the participants for participating in the real-world gathering.

[0007] In another implementation, a non-transitory tangible storage medium storing a computer program for coordinating real-world gatherings to promote an online community is disclosed. The computer program includes executable instructions that cause a computer to: encourage participants of the online community to participate in a real-world gathering by providing incentives for the participants; promote familiarity among the participants by providing and introducing online community titles of the participants at the real-world gathering through a mobile device used by each participant; and provide online benefits or rewards to the participants for participating in the real-world gathering.

[0008] Other features and advantages of the present invention will become more readily apparent to those of ordinary skill in the art after reviewing the following detailed description and accompanying drawings.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by kishe

Soon if you plan on meeting your guildmates IRL or try arrange lanparty over a game, you'll be infridging Sonys patent! Hooray for US patent system!

Good luck with that Sony.

Not happening..

Software yes.. The actual act of lanning No..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

so now we gonna call then lan show, or group lan, and we can call the guilds like clan meet or guild reunion :)

so right now we just need to change the name :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Opapanax

Not happening..

You sure about that? Money talks. Very loud.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

With all these newer games, they are trying to make it so you cannot have a lan party it seems like...If my wfie and I play most stuff together, we still have to go online, its rediculous.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Looks to me like they are trying to patent software for the purposes of organizing lan parties...  Sometimes it's worth it to actually read things.

SUMMARY

[0005] The present invention provides for coordinating real-world gatherings to promote an online community.

[0006] In one implementation, a method of coordinating real-world gatherings to promote an online community is disclosed. The method includes: encouraging participants of the online community to participate in a real-world gathering by providing incentives for the participants; promoting familiarity among the participants by providing and introducing online community titles of the participants at the real-world gathering; and providing online benefits or rewards to the participants for participating in the real-world gathering.

[0007] In another implementation, a non-transitory tangible storage medium storing a computer program for coordinating real-world gatherings to promote an online community is disclosed. The computer program includes executable instructions that cause a computer to: encourage participants of the online community to participate in a real-world gathering by providing incentives for the participants; promote familiarity among the participants by providing and introducing online community titles of the participants at the real-world gathering through a mobile device used by each participant; and provide online benefits or rewards to the participants for participating in the real-world gathering.

[0008] Other features and advantages of the present invention will become more readily apparent to those of ordinary skill in the art after reviewing the following detailed description and accompanying drawings.

Nevertheless, it sets a disturbing precedent, and the language is far too vague.  Much like the precedent set by the patent of the oil-eating microorganism kicked off a surge in patents on all forms of life.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Zekiah

Not happening..

I feel you brother and agree. But they might as well tell us we have to pay them to play a D&D table top game. LoL

So many games computer included were lanning before Sony even existed in the form it is now. I hope they aren't trying to convice folks they created the artform of "lanning"..

LoL

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

SUMMARY

None of you actually clicked the link did you?  Or read my previous post.  This is how stupid rumors get started.  Let me break it down for you all a bit more.  Patents are ONLY for inventions, such as machines or software.  Not for terms (trademarks) or written matieral (copyright).    Sony is not trying to TRADEMARK lan parties.  They are trying to get a copyright for software used to organize and run lan parties which is EXTREMELY OBVIOUS if you read through their patent request.  I quoted myself since none of you read it the first time.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Zekiah

Not happening..

I feel you brother and agree. But they might as well tell us we have to pay them to play a D&D table top game. LoL

So many games computer included were lanning before Sony even existed in the form it is now. I hope they aren't trying to convice folks they created the artform of "lanning"..

LoL

Sure, why not? Al Gore claimed he invented internetz. image

Greedy corporations and the global cabal are going to keep taking until we stop them... which will be... never.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

SUMMARY

None of you actually clicked the link did you?  Or read my previous post.  This is how stupid rumors get started.  Let me break it down for you all a bit more.  Patents are ONLY for inventions, such as machines or software.  Not for terms (trademarks) or written matieral (copyright).    Sony is not trying to TRADEMARK lan parties.  They are trying to get a copyright for software used to organize and run lan parties which is EXTREMELY OBVIOUS if you read through their patent request.  I quoted myself since none of you read it the first time.

but then we couldn't use the name lan party anymore, sony will copyright it right after and you know it, all fine and dandy but a sure future big F**** you will come right at us, its sony after all

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Is this even possible?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Good luck with that $ony.

I'll be patienting the air sony takes into its lungs.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

related article

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/04/sony-patent-encourages-mmo-players-to-meet-in-real-life.ars?clicked=related_right

The patent, filed back in 2010 and approved last week, posits that "anonymity and the lack of real-world connection" makes it hard to forge deep, meaningful connections with strangers met online. To that end, it outlines a method for providing in-game rewards and incentives to players that manage to disconnect from the computer long enough to attend local meet-ups with other players.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

In game rewards for meeting IRL?

Is that what the patent is for?

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

Easy to fight this is an open violation of the First Amendment, more specifically a violation of the freedom peaceful assembly, by supressing our right of freedom of association.  I officially boycott sony now btw.....

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    What is this? Fox News?

They are not trying to patent LAN parties. They are trying to patent a method for encouraging and organizing real world events in their online games.

Geez people.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by colddog04

In game rewards for meeting IRL?

Is that what the patent is for?

This heralds a bold new era in gaming.  One where Blizzard can no longer "liberate" the ideas and concepts developed in other games, on pain of gonna-sue-yer-ass-sucka.  I think Pandaland will be the last expansion we ever see for WoW again.

Originally posted by dubyahite

What is this? Fox News?

They are not trying to patent LAN parties. They are trying to patent a method for encouraging and organizing real world events in their online games.

Geez people.

Yeah it's pretty frustrating when people are wrong on the internet and they don't listen.  This thread needs to be a lesson to forum goers about the importance of reading posts and clicking links.