Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Subscriptions Declining Says Analyst

Comments

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Originally posted by mmoDAD

This game will continue to lose subscriptions. It's not worth subscribing to. It's a great single player PC game with a nice co'op. However, calling it a MMORPG is simply wrong.

This game has no player-generated content, no social realm, and absolutely no sustain.

If this game wasn't a Star Wars title, it would've already converted over to FTP.

Pretty much what he said.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Sora2810

Extreme KOTOR fan; I'm shamefully depressed to see TOR in this condition. Better to let it die quickly. Maybe a KOTOR 3 will see the light of day. 

or SWG2

• rwburnhamrwburnham Member Posts: 9

What is sad to me is that I was enjoying the game a lot, especially when I was grouped with friends. Then litterally everyone I know who was playing stopped playing. They all up and left. There I was on Hoth, alone, crying out, "Hello? Anyone?" Nope. Gone.

The game really grabbed me, despite some flaws, and yet it didn't last for my friends. Maybe I need new friends.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

First off who cares what Cowan and Company has to say who are they and it's all speculation, look what speculation does to the price of gas at the pump..these guys are chumps and know nothing more than we do we can specluate all we want to..

How about some facts, first fact even if subs went form 1.7 to 1.25 million the game is still a huge money maker, fact 2 EA said themselves said that 500k subs is a VERY profitable game and a million would ring thier bell, thier bell has been rung and they are nowhere near the 500k mark.

The game does have allot of problems, I can remember wow when it launched took months to get it to even be enjoyable.

There are posts like this about every new game, I have already seen one on how Tera will fail, I bet we will see the same thing with GW2 and Diablo 3, all of them will have thier fail posts and gloom and doom SPECULATION...LOL

I think allot of people have no clue to how many gamers there are out in the world, what might be a personal fail to you does not mean it is a indusrty fail, look at the games that are still around with a good niche market, that had Tons of fail posts and yet they still survive some free to play some not..

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by wgc01

First off who cares what Cowan and Company has to say who are they and it's all speculation, look what speculation does to the price of gas at the pump..these guys are chumps and know nothing more than we do we can specluate all we want to..

How about some facts, first fact even if subs went form 1.7 to 1.25 million the game is still a huge money maker, fact 2 EA said themselves said that 500k subs is a VERY profitable game and a million would ring thier bell, thier bell has been rung and they are nowhere near the 500k mark.
    The game does have allot of problems, I can remember wow when it launched took months to get it to even be enjoyable.
    There are posts like this about every new game, I have already seen one on how Tera will fail, I bet we will see the same thing with GW2 and Diablo 3, all of them will have thier fail posts and gloom and doom SPECULATION...LOL

I think allot of people have no clue to how many gamers there are out in the world, what might be a personal fail to you does not mean it is a indusrty fail, look at the games that are still around with a good niche market, that had Tons of fail posts and yet they still survive some free to play some not..

Actually, EA in their q3 financial report (look it up for actual real facts) said 500k subs was break even and 1m was profit but nothing to write home about, they would not have invested what they did if they were expecting 1m.
  • lmzzlmzz Member Posts: 57

It's Fiscal Year 2013, not calendar year. Fiscal Year 2013 Q1 is right now.

www.excisiongaming.com

Casual PvP & gaming fun for mature gamers

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by burntham77

The game really grabbed me, despite some flaws, and yet it didn't last for my friends. Maybe I need new friends.

or maybe your friends are right and its really YOU

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• EcnaliEcnali Member CommonPosts: 49

Please, Lucas Arts, allow the evil SOE to bring back SWG - I need to craft!!!!!!! AAAHHH!!!!!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by wgc01

One thing is different now, than it was in 2004. I don't think the majority of Mmo players are willing to suck it up and accept mediocrity these days. That shows in past few years with all the failed mmos, or ones that have done poorly. People will simply not play or go back to WoW, if an mmo comes out and doesn't live up to their standards.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tysonj25tysonj25 Member UncommonPosts: 66

while I agree partly with poster above, I think it is also the new mentality of younger gamers. They jump from game to game (whether it be MMO or regular) in split seconds. When I started playing MMO's you'd have another one come out 1 to 2 years later maybe... now they pop out 5 a year of just AAA let alone crappier smaller titles. You had to give a game time to develop. 

That being said, while I still play swtor and pay for it, but if you spend 150+million on a game it really should be bigger and bettter than this! Voice acting is good, but it gets boring after a while.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

This game will continue to lose subscriptions. It's not worth subscribing to. It's a great single player PC game with a nice co'op. However, calling it a MMORPG is simply wrong.

This game has no player-generated content, no social realm, and absolutely no sustain.

If this game wasn't a Star Wars title, it would've already converted over to FTP.

Just because it may not fit your defintion of an MMORPG doesn't mean it's not. Can you have thousands of players on a server at the same time, that can interact with each other? Does it have ropleplaying elements?

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• blastoise22blastoise22 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Lack of content and hardware support. I have a fairly decent system and certain areas like IIlum are choppy at best. I enjoy playing this game but pretty soon I'm gonna need something realistic to hold my wallet. Is it me or does almost every mmo that come out go through this same problem?

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Smokeysong

Just because it may not fit your defintion of an MMORPG doesn't mean it's not. Can you have thousands of players on a server at the same time, that can interact with each other? Does it have ropleplaying elements?

;)

When the answer to them all is "up to a point" then you move into a grey area
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

It happens. In an age of austerity which other MMO's are experiencing but were established in better times, well, yeah, this.

F2P might help, it's worked with LOTRO. But we'll see.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

One of the things that I think is rather odd is people thinking that a game with a million and a quarter paying subscriptions is somehow failing. That's not failing folks, that's making goood money.

Sure, it's not making as much money as World of Warcraft, but clearly no one has made a game that matches WoW's appeal to date (in the West), so basing your concept of success on what so far is more a fluke than a reasonable measuring stick makes no sense.

;)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

The only MMO to have ever had an increase in subscribers at a steady rate since release is Eve Online. Known fact.

Reason is player created content the devs listen to the players and the devs also still have a passion to play the game they make. Its a sandbox game with no end content and your free to do what you like.

Themepark MMO's are dying out everyone is flooding the market with them and people are getting tired of the same old same old format.

SWTOR will be F2P by this time next year.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Smokeysong

;)

See, that's the problem right here. What a MMORPG was is not the same as it is today. MMORPG use to stand for a massive mutliplayer virtual online world that had tools and systems that let players do many other activities outside of combat. The game world was huge and open not instanced. Players depended on other players, not 100% of the time but for many things and the economy was player made and ran. There were death penalties for not playing smart and pvp was everywhere at anytime and not some instanced warzone.

TOR is nothing like i just described, so deeming it a SPRPG with coop features is pretty dead on.

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by skulldron

I just hope they don't pull a NGE and make the game into another SWG. If people don't like it , screw them. problem is people jump into the game and finish the contents too fast.   Every game falls in numbers and manage to come back.  But the way I see it, its the people who cry and whine who are leaving.

It's SWG all over again, whiners crying, people complaining instead of giving the game a chance and then when it gets dumb down for them they complain it's too easy.  Go figure today's gamers.

While I agree people rush to end game too fast instead of enjoying the trip the fact is since I started playing I havent been able to do any heroics except the low lvl ones in the very beginning when the game first came out.

I do belong to a guild so dont want to hear that BS answer, plain and simple they need to implement something to allow players to find groups easier than spamming constantly for hours.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

• KyuzoS8KyuzoS8 Member Posts: 13

some users are leaving it because of what they did to ME3. im just saying some users not everyone.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I can assure I'm not among them. Playing since release day and plan to stay in for at least as until summer. Then guess will be time for short detour.

Im very picky about games and so far swtor is best ever. Never thought possible some game could replace wow in my heart. Followed by Rift on 3rd place.

Swtor is incredibly fun, great sw feeling, small number of bugs, every move, every mouse click, every button on keyboard does exactly what should and that is rare. I can not stress enough how much I love this game. Being big SW fun only ads to this.

Main problem are - and not only for swtor - players that only rush to end game. Instead of enjoying months of tour they rush for last station. Silly, but so it is. I on the other hand have a blast leveling all possible combinations of clasess, doing same quests many times, they are still always fun.

I can also ad in wow I have 10 lv. 85, 2 in Rift, 3 so far in Swtor. In no other mmorgp (or other game) have not even a single maxed out alt. Lost interest long before. Closest was Aoc.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by daltanious 

Hmm... can I ask WHY you play at all any game, sub or free? I guess for FUN. And swtor is INCREDIBLY FUN. I do not care at all for forced group questing/playing. Or beins single player. The ONLY thing that matter for me is being FUN.

Ok so you say it's about FUN

And from my long experience (im close to 50 now) so far I'm willing to PAY (even double ammount that is now in average) for only three games in the world: Wow, Rift and now SWtor.

About grouping, socializing .... I can only suggest ... go out, socialize with real life friends.

When playing the game, a lot of people think it is FUN to have people in game to socialize and group with. This isn't Hang out with my bros dot com, it's MMORPG.com. Cocktail parties and going to the pubs is so far from the discussion of why SWTOR fails at end game.

You should really wait until you have been level 50 for a while so that you get some perspective. Unless you are really casual in your play and love raiding, the big stop sign at 50 will get you too.

Well mmorpg market is small compared to games that play in single mode. So I do not see this as a problem. Ok, can be fun playing with other people (and it is necessity for end game), but many times can be frustrating and very time consuming with a lot commitment. I play a lot of time but can not commit myself to plan 2 weeks  ahead and then stay 6 hours in any raid. I have so far 3 lv. 50 and leveling another 5 all above 35 now and having a blast with game. Swtor is so complete package that I would have no problem at all buy and play and even sub if totaly single player.

I will start experiencing end game after all my alts are maxed out. Ops, when all CLASS quests are finished. Yep, this is first game when I have not stopped to play when reaching max level. I can barely wait to see what they have combined for end.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by daltanious

Swtor is incredibly fun, great sw feeling, small number of bugs, every move, every mouse click, every button on keyboard does exactly what should and that is rare. I can not stress enough how much I love this game. Being big SW fun only ads to this.

Specially the spacebar ;)

(I'm sorry but the joke was way to obvious to pass on)

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by blastoise22

Lack of content and hardware support. I have a fairly decent system and certain areas like IIlum are choppy at best. I enjoy playing this game but pretty soon I'm gonna need something realistic to hold my wallet. Is it me or does almost every mmo that come out go through this same problem?

Well I noticed that most MMOs that try the [exact] same thing WoW does, like mechanics and "formula" then add like one distinct feature or two...end up having the same issue :/

I can only name like two MMOs literally trying different things in [a lot] of ways. Least Themeboxes/parks(what ever floats your boat)

That's only through my observation and experiences though :/

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• bisurgebisurge Member UncommonPosts: 168

TOR's model is simple for most people: pay until you experience as many storylines as you want, then unsubscribe because World of Warcraft has your old guild and more end-game dungeons.

• seeker1seeker1 Member UncommonPosts: 3

i think many people are quitting on our server because of end game problems and the fact that pvp is stacked against republic players to a huge degree.  Or maybe I just don't know what I am talking about, but I am quitting for these reasons and I won't be back.  Why pay to be cheated?

seeker1

This discussion has been closed.