Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best software to record gameplay?

garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

I'd like to record some GW2 gameplay and maybe do something creative with it...but I'm a total newbie so I need some advice.

What is the best software?  Which is easiest to use? and have any of you made a game video and can talk about your experience?

thanks!

Comments

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by garretth

I'd like to record some GW2 gameplay and maybe do something creative with it...but I'm a total newbie so I need some advice.

What is the best software?  Which is easiest to use? and have any of you made a game video and can talk about your experience?

thanks!

Thanks for posting this.  I was going to just download FRAPS and hope for the best, but I wouldn't mind hearing from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by garretth

thanks!

The most commonly used is fraps, but without retail you can only record 30 second intervals, something new has come along which the name escapes me, but I think it's free, supposedly it is smoother and less lag casuing. You can only record game sound or mic input (commentary) not both from what I hear. Wish I remembered the name, but I figure someone will know what I am talking about.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

If you want the best software to just record and no sound that would be MSI Afterburner.

But if you would liek to record sound also use Fraps, but also note that with any recording software use a secondary hard-drive  to record onto and not your primary. The reason for this is that RAW format of recording will slow your harddrive buy a chunk and you will feel the effects of this in game.

Have fun in beta =)

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

You can probably find something on Sourceforge if you want to dig for it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

FRAPS but I have the retail, which is very cheap to purchase. Thanks BTW because I forgot to install it after installing my new guts this weekend.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I was told to use twitchtv and their recording software. I haven't tried it yet so you can be a guinea pig! lol let us know if you use it. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by sammyeli

If you want the best software to just record and no sound that would be MSI Afterburner.

But if you would liek to record sound also use Fraps, but also note that with any recording software use a secondary hard-drive  to record onto and not your primary. The reason for this is that RAW format of recording will slow your harddrive but a chunk and you will feel the effects of this in game.

Have fun in beta =)

Afterburner now records sound and i prefer it over Fraps.  Not only is it multi core, which doesn't eat my fps like Fraps, but it's also free.  Oh and it records into one video and not a bunch of smaller files.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

No idea about what is the best, but I do know people that have used both Fraps and Bandicam and found them both to be pretty good.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJm4c-lPMWw My baby! Too bad that game failed, had good pvp

That's with fraps, edited in windows video maker, on an old computer. As you can see not bad at all. Fraps is very simple, just click a button and you're recording, click again and it's done.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Alders

But if you would liek to record sound also use Fraps, but also note that with any recording software use a secondary hard-drive  to record onto and not your primary. The reason for this is that RAW format of recording will slow your harddrive but a chunk and you will feel the effects of this in game.

Have fun in beta =)

Afterburner now records sound and i prefer it over Fraps.  Not only is it multi core, which doesn't eat my fps like Fraps, but it's also free.  Oh and it records into one video and not a bunch of smaller files.

I think this is what I was thinking about earlier (Afterburner) is that the one you can only use one audio channel in?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Alders

Have fun in beta =)

Oh awesome now it records sound too great news, I have been using it for a while but I just recently bought xsplit and so Ill just be loading all the stuff to twitch tv

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I should have included this in my post, but it''s a decent post with options for people.

http://www.freefrag.com/gaming-discussion/22118-game-recording-fraps-vs-bandicam-vs-msi-afterburner-vs-dxtory-vs-playclaw.html

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Unlight

Thanks for posting this.  I was going to just download FRAPS and hope for the best, but I wouldn't mind hearing from someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

FRAPS is LAGGY and overpriced. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON IT  ...unless you're running 6 cores & dual Vids.

Everyone else should be using Camstudio with the also-free FFDSHOW "Mjpeg" encoder.  On average you'll usually only lose 5 FPS as opposed to the 20 to 30 you lose with FRAPS.  Picture Quality is a lot better too usually.  The only problem is, you might have to export the Audio track and tweak its tempo in Audacity to get it to synch.  (you can easily extract and recombine it with Freemake and then encode back to AVI.  ...Youtube will usually always accept the format as long as the playback Framerate is a nice round number)

You can see a DCOU video I recorded here where the Recording Quality was set to only 25% of full capacity.  Any lag that occurred in it was from the Unreal Engine & Sony, not the Recording software.

EDIT:  Also that guide in the post above this on my home-community  (Freefrag) has some good alternatives too.  ...I can't say I've tried them but like I said, I had already found something that works for me 10x better than FRAPS ever did so I just stopped looking.

• Consti2tionConsti2tion Member UncommonPosts: 20

Twitch.tv Does NOT have a recording software. They DO however Recommend using either Xsplit, or Adobe Flashmedia Encoder. Though those are for Broadcasting and not so much for recording your game play.

Personally I would recommend getting a Capture card if you can afford it( Black Magic Intensity Pro). I'm fairly certain it comes with its own software.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Buy Retail Fraps. Its the best, cheapest and easiest you can get, and use Windows Movie Maker to reduce size of recorded movies. Ive got the movie 5 GB turned into around 500 MB one. Even the quality wasnt bad at all in the end.

Streaming gameplay live was never my stuff. It became so mainstream nowadays that you now literally have thousands of mediocre players you spend time wathing at. That, and i dont like to pay monthly fee for Xsplit and stuff :(

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

Originally posted by dzoni87

Buy Retail Fraps. Its the best and easiest you can get, and use Windows Movie Maker to reduce size of recorded movies. Ive got the movie 5 GB turned into around 500 MB one. Even the quality wasnt bad at all in the end.

Streaming gameplay live was never my stuff. It became so mainstream nowadays that you now literally have thousands of mediocre players you spend time wathing at. That, and i dont like to pay monthly fee for Xsplit and stuff :(

No just no. Afterburner is free also xspit is pretty cheap right now 35 bucks for a year is not bad.

Carl Sagan-

• BridgerBridger Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by iller

FRAPS is LAGGY and overpriced. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON IT  ...unless you're running 6 cores & dual Vids.

This is incorrect.  Compared to other options (streaming software like Xsplit), fraps has the lowest impact on performance, because it only compresses the footage by a tiny bit.  The files wind up being HUGE, but the payoff is that it takes almost no toll on your CPU.  I was able to run Company of Heroes at Ultra settings at 1680x1050 with a crappy Athlon X3 3.0ghz processor and get pretty solid 30 FPS the whole time.  Here you can see the quality if you switch it to 1080p mode.  

Now another program that does a similar job to Fraps that I have been hearing some good things about is DXtory, but I haven't tried it myself.  I'm planning to check it out tonight.

Originally posted by dzoni87

Buy Retail Fraps. Its the best and easiest you can get, and use Windows Movie Maker to reduce size of recorded movies. Ive got the movie 5 GB turned into around 500 MB one. Even the quality wasnt bad at all in the end.

No just no. Afterburner is free also xspit is pretty cheap right now 35 bucks for a year is not bad.

Meh, i dont know, never tried Afterburner, i may try it once though. Its maybe that im too used to Fraps. I will have to see an video memory size and/or quality of recorded videos to make my judgement.

Considering this WBE, i will make a dozen of gamplay videos myself and i hope i will make to upload them here image

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Me and a dozen of my guild m8s will be recording and streaming also, Create an account on Twitch.tv then download Xsplit, the streams will be recorded on your twitch.tv channel.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I just use my HDMI out and directly record it on my HD recorder (external device) so there is no lag at all

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Bridger

This is incorrect.  Compared to other options (streaming software like Xsplit), fraps has the lowest impact on performance, because it only compresses the footage by a tiny bit.  The files wind up being HUGE, but the payoff is that it takes almost no toll on your CPU.  I was able to run Company of Heroes at Ultra settings at 1680x1050 with a crappy Athlon X3 3.0ghz processor and get pretty solid 30 FPS the whole time.  Here you can see the quality if you switch it to 1080p mode.  

Now another program that does a similar job to Fraps that I have been hearing some good things about is DXtory, but I haven't tried it myself.  I'm planning to check it out tonight.

Lol, i better not comment on my League of Legends performance under Xsplit. Yet i have 3.5 GhZ Quad Core, 4 of GB RAM and HD 6800 :O

EDIT: Legends, not Legend

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Bridger

No YOU'RE incorrect.  30 FPS is pathetic by the way, I stay at a comfy 60FPS with the same exact Specs.

GO TRY SOMETHING ELSE like I did before you just auto-defend FRAPS.  You don't know what you're talking about yet

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I dunno what the best is, but I know the worst is Gamecam, stay away from that, but most people use FRAPS.

• garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343

Awesome, thanks all.   I'll look into everything listed and report back.

• KnoxXzKnoxXz Member Posts: 6

I currently use DXtory, It has no kill on my FPS (if little) and the files are much smaller than fraps,  There is alot of options on level of the quality that you can produce from automatic compression or just dumping into .raw format.

I've tried alot of different kinds and keep coming back to DXtory.

Heres the link :)

http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html