Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lol this guy called it a long time ago

2»

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by hikaru77

What failure are you talking about?, so far is the most successfull MMO post wow, and is ok if you dont like the game, but there is a lot of people who really love it  and what BW did with SWTOR. So, plz tell me how a MMO with at least 1.7 Mill of sub after almost 5 months is a ¨HUGE FAIL¨?

1.7m after 5 months?
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Originally posted by Praetalus

Some of you are so closed minded it's embarrasing. 

So... The Old Republic is a failure, correct? So could someone please enlighten me as to what constitutes a "failure"?  

A failure is any game that  I don't like.

Case in point. Thanks, 

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

I've been reading a lot about this game and from the perspective of it being yet another themepark game I'm sure its doing well.

Add on the fact that 300 million dollars was spent and this is the Star Wars IP i would rate this is a collosal failure.  Just look at the tactics they are employing this early on.

A successful quality game is a successful without any win back schemes and successful games don't have to go on the defensive about server loads this short of a time after launch.

Although I guess I'm happy for those that are enjoying the game I would hope this game gets propped up as  game with a  lesson to be learned. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Rekindle

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

"And you know what they're most proud of? This is the kicker," the blog reads. "They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas, they're panicking, and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch."

Louse then predicts, "Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ..."

I enjoy reading about the failure of this game because I think the themepark model is an abomination on MMOs and I hope every single title, advertiser and supporter of this poor game design philosophy crashes and burns.

The Themepark style quest hub trash model has hindered and harmed this genre that was once great.  For going with this model BW can suck it.

What failure are you talking about?, so far is the most successfull MMO post wow, and is ok if you dont like the game, but there is a lot of people who really love it  and what BW did with SWTOR. So, plz tell me how a MMO with at least 1.7 Mill of sub after almost 5 months is a ¨HUGE FAIL¨?

Only utterly naive people, who stick their heads in the sand alongside the suits at EA HQ, still believe that fairytale of 1,7mil subs.

As that's what it is.... a fairytale! Nothing more. Nothing less.

I guess if you repeat it long and often enough, via indoctrination, that you eventually really start believing it.

Eventho the FACTS clearly show a much less rosy picture about the state of the game.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I've been reading a lot about this game and from the perspective of it being yet another themepark game I'm sure its doing well.

Add on the fact that 300 million dollars was spent and this is the Star Wars IP i would rate this is a collosal failure.  Just look at the tactics they are employing this early on.

A successful quality game is a successful without any win back schemes and successful games don't have to go on the defensive about server loads this short of a time after launch.

Although I guess I'm happy for those that are enjoying the game I would hope this game gets propped up as  game with a  lesson to be learned. 

Fact? From EALouse? Seriously?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

Hey guys, i got a major prediction about the next MMO! its gonna have many subs, then those will decline after certain period of time and will eventually fail! and you can quote me on that one..

but seriously, EAlousy? that peon of hatred havent disappeared from the net yet?

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

"And you know what they're most proud of? This is the kicker," the blog reads. "They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas, they're panicking, and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch."

Louse then predicts, "Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ..."

I enjoy reading about the failure of this game because I think the themepark model is an abomination on MMOs and I hope every single title, advertiser and supporter of this poor game design philosophy crashes and burns.

The Themepark style quest hub trash model has hindered and harmed this genre that was once great.  For going with this model BW can suck it.

Fail thread - most succesful mmo on the market not named WoW - pretty far from one of the greatest failure in the history of MMOs from EA.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

The game's doing just fine. I have unsubscribed though.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

To the haters: SWTOR is not a failure in business terms no matter how much the game is lacking. It being a bad MMORPG does not negate the fact that it is a great story with online capabilities that meets the needs of players with low expecations and delusions of mediocrity.

To the fanboys: No company in the history of online games ever gave out 30 free days (to LOYAL players)without first seeing a large drop off in subscriptions. It doesnt matter that the game creams your jeans with images of playing in "star wars", it lacks many of the most fundamental MMORPG aspects and has lost a large chunk of players because of it and your liking the game has nothing to do with that FACT.

Deal with reality, it isnt what either of you think it is.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

The mythical 1.7 number is becoming its own legend. It's getting really expensive for them to continue to prop it up. Eventually that house of cards is gonna fall.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Thanks, that looks like an interesting series, alas, not on crunchyroll.

can we close the thread now?

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by Praetalus

So... The Old Republic is a failure, correct? So could someone please enlighten me as to what constitutes a "failure"? 

I suppose it would depend on the point of view.

If you compare the pre-launch hype and promises to what the sub numbers really are, it could be called it a failure.

If you compare it to a game, say Light and Dark, then it could be called a marvelous success.

The hype doesn't make it a fail. It makes people who hype it fails... same shit has happened for every big name MMO on the site over the past 4 years it NEVER fails. Rift, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA is next, and then GW2... its a continuous cycle of flamers and fanboys and then the flamers come back to create threads like these and call games fails when in reality SWTOR is a successful mmorpg.

• RuinalRuinal Member Posts: 195

I did think they needed at least 2mil subs to break-even. Not interested enough to dig through all the dev / analyst bs for the quote though. It may or may not be a 'success' from a financial point of view, but it certainly hasn't met expectations so is a sure 'fail' from that perspective.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by dead2soon

The mythical 1.7 number is becoming its own legend.

Lol, yes it is. I could see "1.7" become a common response to a fail post or thread. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

The game is a failure because it has the Star Wars name, an almost endless budget and was marketed as being the greatest thing ever sure to topple WoW. it ended up being something to keep a few bored WoW players busy until the next game comes out. Considering what the game had behind it and what we got in return, the game is a massive fail and all these people defending it will likely be gone in a month when they realize the game has little to do at the end.

I have to agree with the guy bagging on theme park MMO's. They are trash and every one that tries to copy WoW and fail makes me and many others that much happier.

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by dead2soon

The mythical 1.7 number is becoming its own legend.

Lol, yes it is. I could see "1.7" become a common response to a fail post or thread. image

It's over 1.7?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Ruinal

I did think they needed at least 2mil subs to break-even. Not interested enough to dig through all the dev / analyst bs for the quote though. It may or may not be a 'success' from a financial point of view, but it certainly hasn't met expectations so is a sure 'fail' from that perspective.

They said they needed 500k to be sucessful. The 2Mil number was the projection of subs by June based on launch sales.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Ruinal

They said they needed 500k to be sucessful. The 2Mil number was the projection of subs by June based on launch sales.

I think the 500k number for a year number was "We'll get our money back but won't be happy because we wasted 5 years to not make something really profitable or make a dent in WOW subs like we promised investors".

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

At this point I'm kinda shocked there are still so many people defending this game.  SWTOR may not be the biggest fail ever, but it certainly up there with the likes of WAR and AoC.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Originally posted by I_Return

Originally posted by sirphobos

Second most subscribed to MMO after WoW.  What a huge embarassing failure.

this is like saying those are the only to mmo's on earth.  Maple Story blows both games away with player numbers. Lineage 2 was the most active mmo beofre WoW.

NCSof as a collective  has over 20 million players playing ncsoft titles that range from Guild Wars, Aion Lineage 2 ect.

LotrO has over 3 million world wide players from China , Russia, ect.

Swtor is a failure. Anything less then 5 million players, you might as well write up as a John Carter.

The game is roughly 6 months old.  How many subs did WoW have when it was 6 months old?  Less than a million.  And bringing up sub numbers of a FREE TO PLAY game just makes you look even more foolish.  It's FREE, genius.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Originally posted by JimmyYO

The game is a failure because it has the Star Wars name, an almost endless budget and was marketed as being the greatest thing ever sure to topple WoW. it ended up being something to keep a few bored WoW players busy until the next game comes out. Considering what the game had behind it and what we got in return, the game is a massive fail and all these people defending it will likely be gone in a month when they realize the game has little to do at the end.

I have to agree with the guy bagging on theme park MMO's. They are trash and every one that tries to copy WoW and fail makes me and many others that much happier.

What would you have marketed it as.....the "OK game that you might like...plus it's freaking STAR WARS!"  Find one company that DOESN'T say their product is amazing....and I will show you a bad marketing department.

So you get happy when a game fails?  Myself, I just don't play games I don't like....and I certainly don't root for a game I don't like to fail.  I guess I'm a nicer person than you.  :)

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Originally posted by Darklighter1

The game is roughly 6 months old.  How many subs did WoW have when it was 6 months old?  Less than a million.  And bringing up sub numbers of a FREE TO PLAY game just makes you look even more foolish.  It's FREE, genius.

The game is hemerging subs & it cost a record amount to make, anyone who thinks otherwise

may as well join EA in their denial.

Regardless of it being only 6months old, the fact remains the game is a gloryfied single player

trying to be themepark (trying to be a themepark is the biggest lol btw)

So with all due respect it's probably one of the biggest fail mmo's to date for the £££ spent vs

the product content/longetivity.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

This topic has been posted and discussed over and over on these forums.  There also doesn't seem to be more purpose than to invite bashing the game. Negative opinions are just fine, but remember that how you say things matters.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.