Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to play in the next beta? Pre-Purchase Guild Wars 2 now!

Comments

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Oh GW2, every thread about you becomes a war.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by evolver1972

And you still registered?  The way I see it, if it's so important to you that you don't receive advertisements from a company, don't give them your email address unless you can opt out.

Now did I say I had a problem with receiving the email? No, I was just stating what is usual in regard to opt in news.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by just1opinion

I would agree with your statement, Distopia, except for one thing:  When you sign up for anything from a company, (newsletter, etc.) most reasonable people realize that puts them on the advertisement list for that company.  So, having signed up for the newsletter, why would you be surprised they sent you an advertisement?  Every company does this without exception so I don't see why it would be surprising to anyone.

EXACTLY.

Where are you guys getting this from? I almost always have separate options made that I can choose to get their newsletter, ads for other products, etc. I'm not even really bothered by them myself but saying you're "always automatically" signed up for these things is not even close to being true.

Let's say, for argument's sake, that there wasn't an opt in for more info (and I believe there WAS, actually).....STILL why has he stayed on their info list, because surely there is an opt OUT in the emails he's getting. (That I don't know for sure because I haven't checked them....they don't bother me.)

So opt OUT and have no more reason to complain.  Seems simple to me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Loser60

Oh GW2, every thread about you becomes a war.

Yes, between two very popular fantasy races.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Let's say, for argument's sake, that there wasn't an opt in for more info (and I believe there WAS, actually).....STILL why has he stayed on their info list, because surely there is an opt OUT in the emails he's getting. (That I don't know for sure because I haven't checked them....they don't bother me.)

So opt OUT and have no more reason to complain.  Seems simple to me.

Problem is would that also deny you from receiving a beta invite if selected?

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I would agree with your statement, Distopia, except for one thing:  When you sign up for anything from a company, (newsletter, etc.) most reasonable people realize that puts them on the advertisement list for that company.  So, having signed up for the newsletter, why would you be surprised they sent you an advertisement?  Every company does this without exception so I don't see why it would be surprising to anyone.

EXACTLY.

Where are you guys getting this from? I almost always have separate options made that I can choose to get their newsletter, ads for other products, etc. I'm not even really bothered by them myself but saying you're "always automatically" signed up for these things is not even close to being true.

It's absolutely true.  Whenever you give a company any of your information, address, phone number, email address, you are telling them it's ok to send you advertisements.  The only exception to this is if they offer an opt out in some way.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

I am not a big fan of g2 but i cant understand why are you offended with invitation for beta??? You signed for beta and now you are angry :(. Well i cant understand people anymore, or is that just a forgotten child syndrome. Maybe you need some real life friends to help you through bad times

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by cmoore52290

Originally posted by Banisco

This is just getting crazy, NO ONE is forcing you to pay for the beta, nor they are cheating people in order to sell more, the beta acces is just a reward to those who trust the company and want to prepurchase the game. Easy as that.

Well Said

I agree.   Saying you have a problem with companies advertising a product is a bit over dramatized.  If it really caused such a problem, then they would be complaining about driving down a road and seeing all the signs or reading menu's, or complaining about the advertisement banner at the top of the page.  To act like this is such a horrible act from Arenanet is nothing but overkill.  It just looks like people are jealous that they wont be in the beta and Arenanet is rewarding their fans that are willing to take a chance on them.  If the game blows, it sucks for us and even more for Arenanet.  Why is that not enough.   Oh will I for one know that I am going to have awesome weekend and I hope everyone else does to.

Originally posted by palulalula

I am not a big fan of g2 but i cant understand why are you offended with invitation for beta??? You signed for beta and now you are angry :(. Well i cant understand people anymore, or is that just a forgotten child syndrome. Maybe you need some real life friends to help you through bad times

Maybe you need to actually reread the ops post?

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by SteeJanz

I am sure this has already been covered, but did the OP really just create a post complaining about getting a email from a company that he/she suscribed to. 

Looks to me like it's the content of that E-mail that bugs him. But don't let that stop you guys from tearing down another persons opinion.

You really should work on your over-sensitivity.  No one was tearing down anyone.  Please list the things in the email that the subject matter of a Newletter.  I find your response to this post on to ignorant with assumptions but it at least fits in the context of a forum.

I was referring to everyone who called the OP a troll, rather than just accept his opinion about that e-mail.

Then why quote someone that didn't call him a troll and lump me in with the others.  That's trollish dont you think. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by Banisco

So you sign up to recive info about the game and you complain because they send you info about the game.

GOOD JOB

/thread

no need to read anything in between

I agree.   Saying you have a problem with companies advertising a product is a bit over dramatized.  If it really caused such a problem, then they would be complaining about driving down a road and seeing all the signs or reading menu's, or complaining about the advertisement banner at the top of the page.  To act like this is such a horrible act from Arenanet is nothing but overkill.  It just looks like people are jealous that they wont be in the beta and Arenanet is rewarding their fans that are willing to take a chance on them.  If the game blows, it sucks for us and even more for Arenanet.  Why is that not enough.   Oh will I for one know that I am going to have awesome weekend and I hope everyone else does to.

This is not the issue, this isn't about a company marketing their product, it's about marketing/sales being tied to beta access. WHich many feel (fan or not) is a practice they do not like to see. IF you don't have a problem with it fine, others do.

Then why quote someone that didn't call him a troll and lump me in with the others.  That's trollish dont you think. 

It wasn't exactly directed at you... what was that about over-sensitivity you were talking about earlier?

Edit: I only quoted you to put  focus on the actual point the OP made as many including yourself didn't seem to get it.

It wasn't exactly directed at you... what was that about over-sensitivity you were talking about earlier?

Edit: I only quoted you to put  focus on the actual point the OP made as many including yourself didn't seem to get it.

Oh, don't worry you didnt hurt my feelings.   But let me help you out a bit, the quote button is for quoting someone that you want to make a post about.  The " I was just quoting another post to talk about a different post" will only lead to confusion and mis-understanding.  If that is what you intended then by all means, knock yourself out.  And you can refrain from trying to cover it with "see what I did there", "throw it back at you" replies because we all already know that nothing you have seen so far is a deal breaker for you, and you still plan on playing GW2, and you will ride triumphantly to defend any negative or "jump to conclusion" post directed at GW2.  It's cool.  We already know.  It's a forum and you can do that if you want.  What ever honks your hooter.  Hey maybe you can get Dark Pony to make a cool sig for you that graphically displays a little people person riding towards the GW2 forum on a white horse.  And you are welcome.  (if DP sees this and actually makes you one.)

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

It is a totally new websites and they do not have any info, whether if your are a first day GW players or GW fanbois / haters.

After prepurchased, GW2 is still not listed in your NCSOFT account.

I am assuming Anet feel that GW2 fans have been waiting to try this game for 5 long years and

there is no way the dev could tell whether this Closed Beta requester are their fans or Trolls.

The best ideas they could come up is to set up prepurchase option.

Cos only their crazy fans and people who have done enough research would buy it eventho there is no launch date.

This weekend Closed Beta consist of their fanbois so they cannot fk it up.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by xmenty

It is a totally new websites and they do not have any info, whether if your are a first day GW players or GW fanbois / haters.

I am assuming Anet feel that GW2 fans have been waiting to try this game for 5 long years and

there is no way the dev could tell whether this Closed Beta requester are their fans or Trolls.

The best ideas they could come up is to set up prepurchased option.

Cos only their crazy fans and people who have done enough research would buy it eventho there is no launch date.

Are you trying to say that Arenanet are not sure if the people who signed up for beta are trolls or people who actually want to try or help test the game, so only crazy fans or people who have done research can get it and help them test?

If it's so, why would a troll go through the hassle of downloading a ~12 gb client and then playing something he has no interest in? I agree that they shouldn't mess it up, as it's the 1st time their game been revealed to a huge number of players.

This is not the issue, this isn't about a company marketing their product, it's about marketing/sales being tied to beta access. WHich many feel (fan or not) is a practice they do not like to see. IF you don't have a problem with it fine, others do.

You all can twist the words anyway you want.  This isn't anything new and you can have a problem with it if you want.  To act like Arenanet is doing something wrong is the problem.  If you don't like it then say so but don't make Arenanet out to be some horribly evil company when it's just marketing.  If this was as big a problem as you guys are making it out to be, then there wouldn't be subscription based games.  It's the same thing.  You pay a subscription to access a game.  Where are all the rants on having to pay to access content in WOW, or SWTOR, EVE, XBOX live, etc...  You glady paid your subscription to SWTOR, so yep it does look like you have a selective agenda here. 

FYI, incoming moving target.  A reply will be mad shortly about whether we should accept this from the gaming companies or not or should we hold them to a higher standard. 

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Originally posted by oubers

I know i am just one guy in millions but i am not going to encourage companies to charge full price for betas with no release date. I will buy the game once it is ready to release.

you are NOT alone on this m8......i also refuse to buy a beta test.

f**** that sh*t

Well i am glad there is someone else who feels the same. I like how Trion and BW handled betas. I got beta keys to test these games from MMORPG.COM without paying a dime for it. That helped me decide if it is worth my money.

Me and 4 my my mates paid for TOR beta access.... so yeah we paid for it.. we bought the game ahead of time to do so. My one friend bought his like 2 weeks after i did, so he had to wait like 2-3 days longer then i did to get into the beta.....

BS, not only did he have to PAY BW FOR THE BETA BECAUSE HE DIDN'T PAY FOR IT DAY 1 THEY MADE HIM WAIT TO TEST.

So i mean everyone can point out shittyness with betas and access. D3 had a pretty nice one VERY LIMITED,but nice.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by Loser60

Originally posted by xmenty

The best ideas they could come up is to set up prepurchased option.

Are you trying to say that Arenanet are not sure if the people who signed up for beta are trolls or people who actually want to try or help test the game, so only crazy fans or people who have done research can get it and help them test?

If it's so, why would a troll go through the hassle of downloading a ~12 gb client and then playing something he has no interest in? I agree that they shouldn't mess it up, as it's the 1st time their game been revealed to a huge number of players.

Its free why the fk does a Troll not want to enlist. Trolls are gamers too.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by oubers

I know i am just one guy in millions but i am not going to encourage companies to charge full price for betas with no release date. I will buy the game once it is ready to release.

you are NOT alone on this m8......i also refuse to buy a beta test.

f**** that sh*t

Well i am glad there is someone else who feels the same. I like how Trion and BW handled betas. I got beta keys to test these games from MMORPG.COM without paying a dime for it. That helped me decide if it is worth my money.

Me and 4 my my mates paid for TOR beta access.... so yeah we paid for it.. we bought the game ahead of time to do so. My one friend bought his like 2 weeks after i did, so he had to wait like 2-3 days longer then i did to get into the beta.....

BS, not only did he have to PAY BW FOR THE BETA BECAUSE HE DIDN'T PAY FOR IT DAY 1 THEY MADE HIM WAIT TO TEST.

So i mean everyone can point out shittyness with betas and access. D3 had a pretty nice one VERY LIMITED,but nice.

Difference is in case of TOR people had a choice but for GW2 either pay for beta or take a hike. i got my beta keys for TOR from mmorpg.com.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Here we go again

You all can twist the words anyway you want.  This isn't anything new and you can have a problem with it if you want.  To act like Arenanet is doing something wrong is the problem.  If you don't like it then say so but don't make Arenanet out to be some horribly evil company when it's just marketing.  If this was as big a problem as you guys are making it out to be, then there wouldn't be subscription based games.  It's the same thing.  You pay a subscription to access a game.  Where are all the rants on having to pay to access content in WOW, or SWTOR, EVE, XBOX live, etc...  You glady paid your subscription to SWTOR, so yep it does look like you have a selective agenda here. 

FYI, incoming moving target.  A reply will be mad shortly about whether we should accept this from the gaming companies or not or should we hold them to a higher standard. 

Twisting words? There's a huge difference between an everyday add, and beta access being tied to a marketing strategy.

I certainly didn't pre-order TOR and only paid for one month of it, I'm not holding on to a sub in hopes of anything. Don't get the point you're making there.

I don't think anyone has said it's new, just that A-net is partaking in a practice they have problems with.

And btw what agenda would that be?

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

How many MMOS you can name for us that allowed beta entries only and only on basis of pre purchase? because i haven't paid for beta access till now. i got  most of my beta keys from sites like mmorpg.com. Rift, tera, Swtor, DCUO, Aion etc to name the few.

It is not as common you are trying to make us believe.

Oh, don't worry you didnt hurt my feelings.   But let me help you out a bit, the quote button is for quoting someone that you want to make a post about. 

The quote button is for quoting a statement you want to reply to, which is exactly what I did, hence why the first sentence of that quote was toward you, the rest was a general statement toward the direction this thread took.

• sofus12345sofus12345 Member Posts: 10

I said no thank You and the posting headed for my trashcan.

The first gw was joyable and stable (compared to other mmo's) until the developers found out they could make a bad 3-d look of painted style images.

Its like running in a grey, dark,futuric paintmod. (Oh yes, you guessed it. Dark worlds saves resources). A cheap cheat.

After a preorder and the bad flop of swtor Ive decided not to jump on any game until headstart.

Developers nowdays rush on to make the first 10 lvls playable and the rest of it muck and they even

expect to earn money of an unfinished product.

They dont even have open beta. Thats fine for me cause Im gonna wait for the comming tunes from players after release.

We players should join one of the largest player unions nowdays to get rid of theese unharmonic tunes from the

developers nowdays. Instead we jump in the traps of every comming mmo's. Bad habbit.