Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lol this guy called it a long time ago

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html

"And you know what they're most proud of? This is the kicker," the blog reads. "They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas, they're panicking, and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch."

Louse then predicts, "Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ..."

I enjoy reading about the failure of this game because I think the themepark model is an abomination on MMOs and I hope every single title, advertiser and supporter of this poor game design philosophy crashes and burns.

The Themepark style quest hub trash model has hindered and harmed this genre that was once great.  For going with this model BW can suck it.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Oh. My. Wow. EA Louse? Really? I thougt we were done with that yahoo. Thanks for creating a new thread about him though.

/postcount

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Lethal920Lethal920 Member Posts: 112

I can't help but agree.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Oh God not this again...

Abandon thread!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by Rekindle

"And you know what they're most proud of? This is the kicker," the blog reads. "They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That's the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas, they're panicking, and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can't keep pushing back launch."

Louse then predicts, "Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ..."

I enjoy reading about the failure of this game because I think the themepark model is an abomination on MMOs and I hope every single title, advertiser and supporter of this poor game design philosophy crashes and burns.

The Themepark style quest hub trash model has hindered and harmed this genre that was once great.  For going with this model BW can suck it.

What failure are you talking about?, so far is the most successfull MMO post wow, and is ok if you dont like the game, but there is a lot of people who really love it  and what BW did with SWTOR. So, plz tell me how a MMO with at least 1.7 Mill of sub after almost 5 months is a ¨HUGE FAIL¨?

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Xerith

Oh god not this again...

Abandon thread!

Oh this made me laugh.

I salute you.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Second most subscribed to MMO after WoW.  What a huge embarassing failure.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by Rekindle

What failure are you talking about?, so far is the most successfull MMO post wow, and is ok if you dont like the game, but there is a lot of people who really love it  and what BW did with SWTOR. So, plz tell me how a MMO with at least 1.7 Mill of sub after almost 5 months is a ¨HUGE FAIL¨?

Aion' subs were greater and remained higher (just went f2p).

Lotro higher (though via a cash shop method so i say it doesn't count kinda?)

and many asian market mmos are in the 3mill+ range and have been for years.

Well its not 1.7mill subs now we know this, see other threads on such topic, more so the hype from this game was so insaine and the fandom of it, honestly it should have got peak 1 mill for the quality of the game just because the game is GREAT for leveling say 1 or 2 characters. FOR THE STORY. Then well its not great anymore, it may remain genjoyable for some and not others but offers far less than the leveling experince. Futhermore the amount of time and resources put into this game and almost every aspect of it is lackluster with only VO (spacebars) to show for.

While the game did well, it failed compaired to the hype, it being starwars, and the resources it had; thats reailty.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by I_Return

Originally posted by sirphobos

this is like saying those are the only to mmo's on earth.  Maple Story blows both games away with player numbers. Lineage 2 was the most active mmo beofre WoW.

NCSof as a collective  has over 20 million players playing ncsoft titles that range from Guild Wars, Aion Lineage 2 ect.

LotrO has over 3 million world wide players from China , Russia, ect.

Swtor is a failure. Anything less then 5 million players, you might as well write up as a John Carter.

The only thing SWTOR failed at was getting you to like it.  I'm sure it'll cope without you.

The rest of this is speculative rubbish and  OP EA louse was done to death a year ago.

/abandonship

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

THere are about 3 people who still play in my Multi gaming guild. If you call that a success then I got some stocks I want to sell you.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Let's all not forget that WoW, Rift, SWTOR, and Aion are all "niche" parts of the market for casual players.

The MMO/Online market is estimated around 119 million players btw. Just thought you'd like to know where I got the 'niche' part from.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Oh God not this again...

Abandon thread!

No kidding. These people need to come up with new material.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

THere are about 3 people who still play in my Multi gaming guild. If you call that a success then I got some stocks I want to sell you.

Heh, out of our 39 "active" members, we have 2 people who still play SWTOR. Only 19 of them actually bought SWTOR, and yet all of us tried the open beta (some of us, closed beta as well). 

SWTOR, relatively speaking, is a failure.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

EALouse again? stop recycling old news please.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

The problem with those who keep calling fail on swtor is that it’s still not a clear fact, maybe in the “haters” mind, but not to the rest of us. It should have done much better given the IP and developers, and it still may crash after GW2 and other titles come out, and we may also get a leak on the real sub numbers, (which i suspect are far lower than EA claims) but it will probably be at least another year before we can come to a consensus, then those of us who still feel the need can crow about "tortanic's" failure as a fact.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Not to de-rail such an important thread, but what anime is that clip from?

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by sirphobos

WATERWORLD was also the 12th highest grossing movie of 1995...  (probably a bit before most of your times, I know)

If EA spent XXX millions of $$$ on this game and it is only making a small profit... no profit... or having the production scaled back (cut development team and expansion schedule) to ensure it doesn't lose money...

Anyone looking at the game from a business perspective isn't going to see a success.  They will see a huge waste of company resources. 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I'd say that the prediction was pretty accurate.   ^_^

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by zevni78

angel beats

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6564

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Originally posted by ktanner3

Oh God not this again...

Abandon thread!

No kidding. These people need to come up with new material.

LOL..love that picture. Going to save it and post everytime people crow about any MMO based on old garbage news.

• kurtbarlowkurtbarlow Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by zevni78

It is from Angel Beats.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Some of you are so closed minded it's embarrasing. 

So... The Old Republic is a failure, correct? So could someone please enlighten me as to what constitutes a "failure"?  Cause as an active member of TOR, I must say, the people I play with everynight don't seem to think the game has "failed". Just because a game doesn't outsell everything on the market or have the most subs, that doesn't make it a failure. 

SWG was ultimately a failure.. as it is closed down. Shadowbane was a failure as the servers are shutdown. You get my point? EQ1 has less subscribers then most shitty games out today.. Would you call EQ1 a failure? DAOC, is that a failure? Last I heard, Everquest 2 had about 200-300K subs... I spose that's a failure too. You know how many LoTRO post there are calling it a failure. Dungeons and Dragons is also labled a failure. All of these games are still going with plenty of people that like them. 

Just because you don't' like a game, or you have 5 friends that quit playing, I don't think it qaulifies the game as a failure. If the game is up and running with a good amount of subs and has money coming in, in some way shape or form, it's not a failure. BW has said in the past they needed about 500K subs at this point to make money. Whether you believe that or not doesn't matter as neither you or I can legitmately argue BW's financials, however, this game is clearly not a failure. Perhaps it will be, only time will tell. 

Have fun with your awesome lives of hoping things crash and burn outta spite. It's a hell of a way to live. 

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Praetalus

Some of you are so closed minded it's embarrasing. 

So... The Old Republic is a failure, correct? So could someone please enlighten me as to what constitutes a "failure"?  

A failure is any game that  I don't like.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Praetalus

So... The Old Republic is a failure, correct? So could someone please enlighten me as to what constitutes a "failure"? 

I suppose it would depend on the point of view.

If you compare the pre-launch hype and promises to what the sub numbers really are, it could be called it a failure.

If you compare it to a game, say Light and Dark, then it could be called a marvelous success.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

This discussion has been closed.