Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Progress You Can See

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During recent beta events, a troubling lag issue cropped up for testers worried that their systems just might not be up to Guild Wars 2. That has been largely laid to rest. Check out what we discovered in our latest Guild Wars 2 column. Leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I spoke with a few of the developers during previous beta events, and it seemed like optimization was near the top of their list of “things to do”. They are trying to make the game run properly on a number of different machines. This can be a tough task, but it involves allowing the graphics to be switched to a large variety of different settings, and also modeling both characters and environments to look amazing, yet easy to render at the same time. Trust me, this is harder than it sounds. On a model, if you need to take out a few polygons, you better have an amazing texture in place to keep the model looking great. And that’s just a part of the battle! The programmers have to do their part as well. What do the programmers do exactly? I’m not actually sure, I’m just a concept artist. I just paint pretty pictures. The point is that there’s a lot of work that goes into making the game work on a variety of different PCs, and ArenaNet is doing it. During the previous events, I took notes to compare how the game ran to measure ArenNets progress. Here’s what I came up with.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Progress You Can See.

This happened all the time during the first beta event.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Must be your rig.

GW2 is the perfect game and there are no flaws in it.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

wish I could comment on this article.....

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

It would be nice if you guys from mmorpg make a short overview on your different experiences with information about the different computers you own. It should sound like this:

1. I have an i5 and a geforce 560, etc ..... i had this kind of lag in this kind of situation with that kind of ingame settings.

2. I have an i7, and ......

After such a report it would be great to give some hints were players should concentrate their upgrades: new CPU, just more RAM, new graphic card, or is it a good idea to save the game on SSD?

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Must be your rig.

GW2 is the perfect game and there are no flaws in it.

*scoff*  I concurr! *scoff* *strokes neckbeard*

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

I still haven't seen a game that has solved this problem yet. Most games turn into lagfests with large scale PvP.

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48
    Must be your rig.

GW2 is the perfect game, it will even cure Cancer
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by Atlan99

I still haven't seen a game that has solved this problem yet. Most games turn into lagfests with large scale PvP.

mmmmmhhhhmmmm, AION anyone?

• WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    @ninjapwnstar .... You scared???? You can't focus on this thread can you?
    What does Tera have to do with this free lag fest of a
    Game???
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

buy a new upgrades for this game. as they should !

GW2 shouldnt hold back becouse of cheap-poor -people.

GW2= For the rich!    WoW= for the Poor

ats what i say!  yar!

• N1njaPwnStarN1njaPwnStar Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Whiskeydust

@ninjapwnstar .... You scared???? You can't focus on this thread can you?

What does Tera have to do with this free lag fest of a

Game???

Oh hey there :) lol u gunna send me a pvt msg again about how tera wins all? im not scared at all what i think .. is ur scared of me bein right cuz ur so in love with tera u dont wanna be  on a server with 20 ppl when gw2 comes out ;) anyway im done with u have fun failing

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

It might be worth noticing that it mostly was relative new computers with good setup that had reported dissapointing performance in the last events, leading some to conclude that ArenaNet already had nailed the optimisation for most low-mid end PC with older hardware. And with that it should be easy to have faith in that ArenaNet would catch up with the high end stuff and recent bought equipment.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Atleast with no  sub fee they can use that money to upgrade there PC if need be.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Four0Six

Aion, Lineage 2, KoK3 and EVE Online have used various solutions from optimizing the crap out of Unreal 2 to heavily customized supercomputers and net code.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

GW2 runs on quantum computers and has artificial intelligence directing the proxies. Everybody who will play GW2 has 20MB internet connections and GTX 560 installed.

Of course WvW is going to be Aion. Whoever thinks you can get a unlimited amount of people into a zone are wrong. [Mod Edit]

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Looking forward to playing this weekend. They got my money , so far solely through advertising and online gaming site reports. 

I haven't played the game, there's no demo, and no one I know has played it. But I pre-ordered. 

The marketing machine is working, definitely.

As for Tera, I tried their open beta and the game's production values are high. Certainly no complaints there, but it wasn't really my style of play and didn't draw me into the gameworld the way I would have liked. 

I'm hoping Guild Wars 2 doesn't disappoint.

• zinger71zinger71 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    WoW = paid expansions and a monthly sub

GW2 = box sales and no monthly sub

Sorry. I don't follow how WoW caters to the poor and GW2 to the so-called "rich".
  • k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Er ..... How is it possible to see the famous "lag / framerate issue" mistake in an official column ?

Lag = internet delay

Framerate issue = system delay

VERY different :)

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by k-damage
    Er ..... How is it possible to see the famous "lag / framerate issue" mistake in an official column ?Lag = internet delayFramerate issue = system delayVERY different :)

Yeah, it is rather embarrassing.

• galdosgaldos Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by k-damage

Er ..... How is it possible to see the famous "lag / framerate issue" mistake in an official column ?

Lag = internet delay

Framerate issue = system delay

VERY different :)

I think he was talking of the graphical lag seen on the screen as a result of framerate issues, not the internet lag

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by galdos

I think he was talking of the graphical lag seen on the screen as a result of framerate issues, not the internet lag

I understand, but "lag" has always been referring to internet lag, and screen as "framerate issues", whatever media it is.

(for the precise reason that the technical sources for each one do involve very different causes and companies)

(And here, it's just "lag")

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Aion, Lineage 2, KoK3 and EVE Online have used various solutions from optimizing the crap out of Unreal 2 to heavily customized supercomputers and net code.

They must have made huge changes if Aion is no longer a lag fest at sieges.  Playing that used to be like watching a slide show only worse, eventually lots of folks just crashed/locked up.

Haven't played in probably a year now, but it wasn't that great when I left.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by Mahavishnu

It would be nice if you guys from mmorpg make a short overview on your different experiences with information about the different computers you own. It should sound like this:

1. I have an i5 and a geforce 560, etc ..... i had this kind of lag in this kind of situation with that kind of ingame settings.

2. I have an i7, and ......

3.After such a report it would be great to give some hints were players should concentrate their upgrades: new CPU, just more RAM, new graphic card, or is it a good idea to save the game on SSD?

IMHO it doesn't make sense to start thinking about upgrading based on experiences with the current state of the game / development.

If you read the first line of the second paragraph in this article, it's stated that optimzation is almost near the top of the list of things to do. This means the largest part of the optimization still needs to be done.

Creating a report in the way you requested currently would only be of value to the devs, not to the players because whatever component of your rig seems underpowered now might be more than sufficient after the optimization has finished, so I'd wait until reports from the last beta event before release or even early access.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

quote:

"GW2 is the perfect game and there are no flaws in it."

And I have some beachfront property in Arkansas i'd like to sell you.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I always opt for lag with large numbers over just awful graphics. Of course there are acceptable levels of both. Such as 20 people should lag at all with decent computer. 80 people some with decent, little to no with beast computer. 200 should lag with every computer... but 4 years from now shouldn't with beast computers. Thats kida how i look at preformence vs graphics.

As for anyone QQing about lag please understand mmos are suppost to have it, otherwise there aren't enough players on screen.

Also the combat system is pretty forgiving with lag , unlike games like daoc etc.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Except, of course, nowhere has it been stated that they are allowing an infinite number of players into the world versus world PvP. And, of course, they have stated that each of the 4 maps will support up to 500 players.

ATM its 200 per world per map for 600 per zone/map with hopes of hitting 300 per world per map at some point.

[Mod Edit]

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine