Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squad Wars: World of Space Combat?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We recently featured the news that Squad Wars is beginning its KickStarter campaign to fund the new game from some of the makers of Jumpgate veterans. We had the opportunity to chat with Scott Brown, Founder of END Games to find out more. Keep reading.

Why don’t we start by having you tell us all about Squad Wars? Is it an MMO, is it an arcade flight game? Is it a CORPG? All of the above? It seems a bit like World of Tanks in space, if that’s accurate. And that’s an awesome notion.

Squad Wars is an online space combat game. It is geared towards players who want real ramifications for the success or failure of their actions in the universe. What is different in Squad Wars compared to a game like Jumpgate is that we are removing the massive empty world and replacing it with hand built missions or scenarios that you play to complete to your goals. World of Tanks in space is a good comparison for the billing model and maybe the networking/zones model as well.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Squad Wars: World of Space Combat?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SequenceLostSequenceLost Member UncommonPosts: 202

So this is what happened to all the work that was being poured into Jumpgate Evolution...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    "we removed the massive empty world"

IMO, it isn't space without...well, space. Next!

Joined - July 2004

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

booyah when can I get my pewpew on

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RenkoRenko Member UncommonPosts: 97

Great to see Jumpgate Evolution getting another chance even if the MMO part has been removed. I'm not surprised they are going down this route considering the success of World of Tanks.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by Renko

Great to see Jumpgate Evolution getting another chance even if the MMO part has been removed. I'm not surprised they are going down this route considering the success of World of Tanks.

Yeah, it could be a good move and with Kickstarter in the air atm. Space Shooter genre is generally lacking in mmorpgs (?) besides, so one that cuts the mmo to actually get out of the gates... that's at least a start.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

LOL well this sounds bad :(

Why make crap sounding games like this when they had done so much with JGE... :(

Anyway as this is not an MMO it does not need to be on MMORPG.com

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Caldrin

Why make crap sounding games like this when they had done so much with JGE... :(

Agreed. And I think pay-to-win will go out of fashion fast.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I personally think it was a smart move. EVE has pretty much cornered the market on space MMO, and niche, tight-knit communities are very unlikely to jump ship (pun intended)  for long if at all. If you look at WoW, there are a lot of people that come and go, but the majority of them are the mainstreamers that came after the popularity growth. Many of those who were there from the beginning have stayed the whole way through, that's their online home in a way.

At least like this, they'll attract people that just want to jump into the action without all the build-up first, or those who aren't as fond of the exploration/pvp. Basically those who want to get in, have a bit of fun, then get out. Depending on how popular it becomes, I wouldn't be surprised to see the exploration part added as an expansion further down the road.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Originally posted by Caldrin

Agreed. And I think pay-to-win will go out of fashion fast.

Yah, smacking people around with my wallet does get old in time

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

"What is different in Squad Wars compared to a game like Jumpgate is that we are removing the massive world and replacing it with missions or scenarios"

Heh, pass...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

like the idea but  it doesnt look like there gonna make it in time its only at 8k and they need 250k

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by Vhaln

"What is different in Squad Wars compared to a game like Jumpgate is that we are removing the massive world and replacing it with missions or scenarios"

Heh, pass...

heheh... I chortled.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Not a lot of quality control at MMORPG.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Sounds interesting!

This reminds me the Squad Based play for X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter over at the Zone, with 56k Modems! The community of Squads for it was really great each had their own websites and Ranks and there was a metagame interaction as well.

Yes I can see this being Fun :)

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

I wish them luck with this, I hope this works out.

That being said. I wish someone would make a new Freelancer,  maybe with even more multi-player capabilities and better side quests. Keep a main story line but add a bit of skyrim when it comes to side quests. (Not that the randomly generated quests weren't servisable)

I enjoyed Freelancer, I like that you could explore an entire solar system and I liked the combat controls. With updated graphics it would be a game I would by as soon as it hit the shelves. (Steam)

• GunshipGunship Member Posts: 23

THIS: "Sqaud Wars is meant to be a hardcore, PvP space combat simulation game."

All those eve-players who wants to do PvP and not Excel will come here.

I am very excited about this game !!!!!

• woodard2040woodard2040 Member Posts: 20

"Heh, pass..."

Same!  We have enough of that crap with Vendetta and Black Prophecy.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

"Think of it like World of Tanks, in space"

"We took JGE, and removed all the empty open world space bits..."

Who are the designers behind this game? I've never heard such outright ignorance & stupidity by a developer in all of my life.

I'm sorry, but out of all the horrible games coming out this year I sincerely hope that THIS product burns more than all of them with those kinds of comments from their developer. Seriously, they really need to fire their Lead Dev if he/she is the one responsible for this travesty. 

HOWEVER, if it is the publisher's fault then they need to be destroyed. Just saying...

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

OOOOOO HELL YES!!!!!!!

• CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23

These same boners dropped the ball on JGE and ignored the community.  I wont give them a dime.

Also, this is already being done by Gajin Star-conflict.com.   This isn't an MMO... Why the hell is everything considered and MMO ?  It's not massive.  It's multiplayer, that's all.

• Ardell91Ardell91 Member Posts: 5

We had the opportunity to chat with Scott Brown, Founder of END Games to find out more. Keep reading.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Bottom line is, NOT an MMO, does NOT belong here. Put it on FPSGuru. Thank you, and good night.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Bottom line is, NOT an MMO, does NOT belong here. Put it on FPSGuru. Thank you, and good night.

lol cry baby

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

my god. can someone please make a decent successor to jumpgate already?