Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could ArcheAge be 'The Perfect Storm' of an MMORPG?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

This game has been on my radar for quite sometime, but there are two things I'm yet to be convinced of the game has which I think may be key to it's success in a North American market.

Combat : With games like Guild Wars 2 and TERA coming out featuring much faster, action packed combat than traditional MMORPG's which a large segment of the playerbase seems to have gotten sick of (and I was never a fan), can ArcheAge's combat system impress?

Content : I realize ArcheAge is a sandbox game, but is it a pure sandbox or a hybrid sandpark with actual adventures and questing content for players? NA players especially love story driven content and I think it'll be necessary for success in NA.

Aside from that, this game is quite breath taking. If COMBAT is awesome and exciting, and there are plenty of adventures to have, ArcheAge is THE PERFECT STORM of an MMORPG.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

setting the bar kind of low....

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

From my understanding AA is typical tab target, hotbar combat.  As for being a perfect storm, talk to me when the game actually has a chance to see a North American Publisher.  Something tells me the lack of a publisher in the west to be a serious red flag so I doubt the game will ever live up to any fanboy expectation.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I think we don't need a perfect storm? i think we just need it to do "well"

too much emphasis is put on subs. of the 10 million wow subscribers how many do people actually interact with?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by Zylaxx

From my understanding AA is typical tab target, hotbar combat.  As for being a perfect storm, talk to me when the game actually has a chance to see a North American Publisher.  Something tells me the lack of a publisher in the west to be a serious red flag so I doubt the game will ever live up to any fanboy expectation.

Well if rumors are true, they may have a publisher in NCSoft.

As for the combat, like I stated above it's one of the things that kind of worries me.  I'm just not sure how much fun it will be for anyone who is tired of the traditional MMORPG combat systems.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

The game sure seems pretty, but I see two problems with Archage.

One being twitch combat if that is indeed what it has.  Your right aboutmost peeps on this site clamouring for that, but the vast majority of players seem to like the WoW style play in reality. 

The other problem in open PvP.  That is a big no-no for the vast majority of players.  I saw some reviews for some interesting ways the game wants to deal with PvP, such as an arrest/court type system, but more will have to be seen to convince the vast majority to play a open PvP game.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

If this game delivers on all that is promised... I might never play another game again...

You're excited? Feel these nipples!

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ThaonnorThaonnor Member Posts: 12

Over the past couple years, and with the failure of SWTOR which I waited for for nearly 7 years (hell I was waiting for it before Bioware knew they were doing it lol) I have learned to not get my hopes up, to try free trials, wait a couple months, participate in open beta tests, etc before going out and buying a game based on hype. It used to be you knew a certain quality of MMORPG was going to be released. You knew that WoW was at least going to be decent, and refined. You knew that Lineage 2, EQ2, Warhammer were going to at least be drawing a couple hundred thousand. 

Now, I don't think anyone can believe that a game will be "The Perfect Storm" until after it has happened. I almost want it to be a smaller game, stay under the radar of the crowd in search of a WoW Killer - what the MMORPG genre needs is not a $100 million blockbuster being backed by EA, but a game that knows they are only going to have 200,000 subscribers and plans accordingly. The MMORPG community has been smushed together through WoW and to the point where the majority are deciding what every single game will be like, even if they don't intend on playing it. What we need is to pull the MMORPG community apart again. Let the 200,000 who enjoy a sandbox game have a sandbox game that is fun to play. Let the themepark players have a themepark game, etc. 

So while you hope for a "Perfect Storm", I hope for a game that has its expectations set correctly, and will deliver for the right crowd without caving to the WoW-effect.

• ThaonnorThaonnor Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by buegur

The game sure seems pretty, but I see two problems with Archage.

One being twitch combat if that is indeed what it has.  Your right aboutmost peeps on this site clamouring for that, but the vast majority of players seem to like the WoW style play in reality. 

The other problem in open PvP.  That is a big no-no for the vast majority of players.  I saw some reviews for some interesting ways the game wants to deal with PvP, such as an arrest/court type system, but more will have to be seen to convince the vast majority to play a open PvP game.

With your point on WoW style play being prefered in reality - I agree as long as it is done right. Games like SWTOR have shown us that not all MMORPG "traditional" combat styles are made equally. If ability lag, horrible icon/CD notification, etc are rampant, then I don't think it'll matter. 

Also on your point of PvP, while some don't like it, others do. I don't think having it there would hurt, and an interesting system to handle it would definitely be welcome in a time when all games in the genre are filled with arena/BG style only PvP. If anything, perhaps a sandbox game will bring a return to true, anywhere World PvP.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

It will be perfect for some, 'meh' for others, and various shades of grey in between, like any game.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I don't think for a good number of players it needs a "story" to make it successful. Me personaly, on game like Skyrim, i didn't even go to the greybeards till i was over lvl 30, so me, my "story" is what i make it. That is the type of game i'm hoping it will be. Being a sanbox/park i don't see the need in everyone being the hero. If you want a tank, roll a tank, you want ranged dps? roll a caster or ranger type. I will be watching this game for sure, i just hope it implements things properly, and doesn't dumb it down for us over here in NA.

You guys seem to be making a good game! don't let publishers corrupt you! It's your game!

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

"world pvp is bad? realy? wow u r a wuss aint ya? would love to live in your fanasy world where if u get jumped in a back street the ppl who did the jumping didnt steal sumthign from u....its called realism dont liek it then kill yourself. "

Really?  That is what you got from my post lol!  I personally like PvP and enjoyed games like Shadowbane, Planetside, Warhammer, PoBS and DAoC.  I prefer reasoned PvP to senseless PvP.  Your example of getting jumped in a back alley does not support open PvP as that is a reason to react.  What you seem to miss is that the vast majority of peeps won't play a game where ganking is the rule and that is a fact.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by Slampig

If this game delivers on all that is promised... I might never play another game again...

I cant wait for this game ,

excited? Lick my keyboard!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Slampig

Ouch! ya dam near poked my eye out!!!

And yeah, this one could be "IT"

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

after watching the yogscast videos of AA.  i have lost some interest.  has some cool ideas, nice graphics,  but nothing to overly exite me.  if and when it comes to the US, i may check it out.  but,  if it was releasing a month from now in the US i would pass.  the starting area looking extremely linear.

I've got the straight edge.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by DeaconX

... Combat : With games like Guild Wars 2 and TERA coming out featuring much faster, action packed combat than traditional MMORPG's which a large segment of the playerbase seems to have gotten sick of (and I was never a fan), can ArcheAge's combat system impress?

Not commenting on your "perfect storm" cause I'm as hype-free as humanly possible. :)

But your comment on combat got me curious: Choice is a good thing! I've got the impression that many (almost all?) games in the pipeline now feature some sort of fast action combat. I'm happy that there's at least one game that seems to be aimed at the more traditional MMORPGers instead.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by Larsa

Originally posted by DeaconX

... Combat : With games like Guild Wars 2 and TERA coming out featuring much faster, action packed combat than traditional MMORPG's which a large segment of the playerbase seems to have gotten sick of (and I was never a fan), can ArcheAge's combat system impress?

Not commenting on your "perfect storm" cause I'm as hype-free as humanly possible. :)

But your comment on combat got me curious: Choice is a good thing! I've got the impression that many (almost all?) games in the pipeline now feature some sort of fast action combat. I'm happy that there's at least one game that seems to be aimed at the more traditional MMORPGers instead.

Look the only MMORPG that will be the next big thing is going to be ULTIMA ONLINE 2

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Originally posted by Grailer

Look the only MMORPG that will be the next big thing is going to be ULTIMA ONLINE 2

Not if they stick with what they are doing with the current UO. Look at who owns UO. It would just be a cookie cutter piece of shit with either trammel, levels or some other bull crap to make it generic like everything else. Pure utter crap. No companies have balls these days.

And how can anyone be that excited for an MMO now a days? Have we learned nothing at all in the past decade? 

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I will try AA when/if it comes to NA. But Im not going to call it the perfect game. I like pure sandboxes and other than the 'small budget' thing see no problems with the way they are now. Im not really sure that putting themepark elements into my sandbox will still keep it open. But we'll see. I will at least buy/pre-order it.

And to respond to the post above, Im surprised they havent announced working on a UO2 yet.

Anyway, will be playing Mortal Online at least until EoC or AA comes out. May try Salem also.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

To the people worried about open PvP... This game is from Jake Song... The creative talent behind the Lineage series of MMOs. I played Lineage II for over 3 years and I could probably count the amount of times I got ganked out-rite on two hands with fingers to spare. With the Karma system in Lineage II the gankers were kept in check most of the time. AA will use an even more robust version of this system. I think you'll find that even though getting ganked will still be possible it's not going to happen very often. Most of the ganking in Lineage II happened when people were stupid enough to flag themselves by hitting back. If you don't want to fight don't hit back... it's that simple 95% of the time.

As for AA being the "Perfect Storm" I think we need to see it release first. We don't even know how well it will do in the Asian markets yet so there is absolutely no way of knowing how well it will do in the west. I think if what has been released so far is acurate it has a better chance then most but at the same time I don't see it being a "WoW Killer" or anything close. It will probably do well but that is pure speculation based on partial information at this point. As with everything else we will just have to wait and see.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

No. For a game to even have a chance to be extraordinary in any way, it first needs an extraordinary developper. As much as I can't stand Blizzard right now or WoW, the fact is Bliz was extraordinary back in the day. Today it's ArenaNet that so far appears extraordinary in many ways, though they are yet to deliver an extraordinary game. But at least this gives Gw2 a big chance to be a perfect storm.

On the other hand ArcheAge devs seem unremarkable, I can't remember seeing even one vid where they talk about their game.. maybe because I wasn't looking hard enough. The game certainly will be an important milestone and tech-testing field for future MMO's, however in itself it looks rather bland in the gameplay videos I saw. And even though it uses the CryEngine, the graphics are a far cry from the potential this engine can deliver. And this means the devs are not good enough to use the tools they've got, which does not speak well about the game itself.

Main issue I have so far are standard quests, no interesting story, and most importantly the feel the combat is painfully standard and grindy. I don't think the new groundbreaking features will be enough to keep people interested if the basics are not done well.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92

There is a lot of videos and info on the main site of Arche Age and US site of Arche Age as well as youtube. The game is sandbox and the combat is pretty fast, also there is about 128 class combinations. Check the links below.

http://www.archeage.com/en

http://archeage-online.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo05ANVoGvg

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by gladosrev2

No. For a game to even have a chance to be extraordinary in any way, it first needs an extraordinary developper. As much as I can't stand Blizzard right now or WoW, the fact is Bliz was extraordinary back in the day. Today it's ArenaNet that so far appears extraordinary in many ways, though they are yet to deliver an extraordinary game. But at least this gives Gw2 a big chance to be a perfect storm.

On the other hand ArcheAge devs seem unremarkable, I can't remember seeing even one vid where they talk about their game.. maybe because I wasn't looking hard enough. The game certainly will be an important milestone and tech-testing field for future MMO's, however in itself it looks rather bland in the gameplay videos I saw. And even though it uses the CryEngine, the graphics are a far cry from the potential this engine can deliver. And this means the devs are not good enough to use the tools they've got, which does not speak well about the game itself.

Main issue I have so far are standard quests, no interesting story, and most importantly the feel the combat is painfully standard and grindy. I don't think the new groundbreaking features will be enough to keep people interested if the basics are not done well.

Jake Song is at least 50% of what built NCSoft. He is considered to be one of the most talented developers in the industry. He's hardly what I'd call "unremarkable".

Your not going to get Crysis level graphics in a MMO. Not unless you want to cap the amount of players per area to like 30-50 or so. If you didn't whenever there was a large amount of players in one area your game would become a slide show as you would dive to about 2 frames per second even on the best gaming setup. You still cant compare a single player or limited multiplayer game to a MMO graphics wise. In the former you can control the amount of animations that the player can see at one time but in a MMO you can't as you never really know how many players might congregate into one area. It will still be a number of years before you will be able to have Crysis level graphics in a MMO no matter what engine you use as right now the hardware just won't support it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Originally posted by Stalkerous

There is a lot of videos and info on the main site of Arche Age and US site of Arche Age as well as youtube. The game is sandbox and the combat is pretty fast, also there is about 128 class combinations. Check the links below.

http://www.archeage.com/en

http://archeage-online.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo05ANVoGvg

Man I love that whole series of videos. Yogscast ppl are so funny.

• StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92

They sure are, and cover most of the game just by having fun no need to be serious lol.

• AmateAmate Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by gladosrev2

O rly?

You've seen many others games with this kind of graphics?

As for ArcheAge devs being unknown, maybe to a westerner, but Jake Song is considered the father of MMOs in Asia. It's like an eastern version of Richard Gariott. So there is great expectations for his next game.