Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why TERA will ultimately fail.

Comments

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

I think it is too soon to jump on Tera will fail bandwagon. I see Tera going same route as AION though and do decent business in west.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Sorrow

I will remind people that Linage 2 and DAoC even more so are FAMOUS and deservedly so for how well they have done territory and political wars, if Tera follows suit, learns from what those two have done and does it better, it can be an epic feature to an otherwise meh game.

This is very true.

However the obvious point, as you mention, is that it is highly untested and unknown in Tera as of yet.

Like all purchases where the consumer is somewhat in the dark - it's a gamble.

I've learned the hard way in the MMO genre to never purchase a game on hopes and dreams.

If they haven't shown it yet it's either not done, needs tons of testing, or complete garbage.

I'd be incredibly nervous to place my eggs in the Tera basket until some really solid information is available on the end game PvP stuff.

In the end you are right though, if they do pull it off as good / better than DAOC or L2 it will be a huge boost to the game's popularity and staying power in an ever increasingly crowded market.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by Teekay

Originally posted by Sovrath

But I see the Elin as these hyper cute silly anime beings. I don't think they are supposed to be kids but just hyper anime characters.

A few of you have said this same thing, you don't think they're meant to be kids, but 1) They are flat chested suggesting a pre-pubescent state , 2) They are gender locked.

I've watched/read alot of anime/manga, the defining feature of teens/preteen seperation is tits. Plain and simple. Tits.

Yes.

We all know that in order to be a teenager or a woman you must have DD size.

And your full of shit. A simple google search for " anime female character " images totally negates that argument. Your reaching and you know it. You may not like TERA but dont act like there is something wrong with people that do.

If its not your thing then move on. Believe it or not other people may actually like something you dont.. shocker I know...

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Savageone

This topic is funny. Why you ask?

Because this is the same thing said about almost every game out there. That it is doomed to fail even before release.

Do you people like anything  besides bacon?...........LOL

Ofc no one else like anything but bacon, common sense man =P

Originally posted by kanezfan

I predict that this game will have 200k box sells at most. Same old game we've been playing for 10+ years. Only difference is combat. F2P within 6 months.

Just me or everyone notice this guy pretty much goes to every thread to post the same thing? good Sir care to predict the winning lottery number for me?

Originally posted by Leucent

But there is an objective to the pvp in this game we fight for territory and politics you may not have noticed in your epic weekend journey to level 4.

Ah yes, the 2-3 big guilds owning a server syndrome. Anyone that says that won t get old fast, is fooling themselves.

expect if you bother to check up anything on the political system, some of the provience you gain control through votes (for the big and zerg guilds) and other provience you gain control through battle grounds (5v5 or 10v10 i forgot which) meaning you can have a 10 man guild and still control territories.

Also don't think number is everything in Tera, my guild have won more than once in fights where we were out number 2 to 1 and we were not over lvl or over geared compare to other guilds.

Seriously anyone who say this game is not a pvp game, have you guys played this game or even tryed pvp at all? The pvp in this game is so different from the rest of the game. When you pvp its like your playing completely other game. And if your fighitng like you are in PvE your doing something VERY wrong. Its really amazing how much skill and experience matter in this game, i bee constantly pvping good pvper in my guild getting completely wrecked in first match, like litteraly do almost no dmg to them, and after pvpign more and rematch later i can take them down to half health and one pointi manage to kill a mystic i wasn't even able to touch before. Than i pvp new player and its like a joke how easy it is compare to more experienced and skill player. And thats only in 1v1. When you play 5v5 or 10v10 it require so much team work to get things done. And than when you have massive battles its completely different from all other form of pvp. The combat style is seriously best when in PvP

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

LOL well yes and no... if you are going to complain about a feature in a game at least do your homework, and complain about something real and deserved.

As of right now the guild vs guild pvp territory and politcal wars are still an untested feature of the game.

They have the potential to be great or to be horribe, but right now we do not honestly know so do not go making a post claiming that feature of the game is flawed or broken.

I may not like Tera, and may agree that it has a short shelf-life but my issues with the game are things that I got into every beta event and tested back forth and sideways before I made my objection.

Honestly it comes down to I HATE liars, and I am FED THE F UP WITH THEM on every game forum out there.

There is nothing wrong with honest tested criticism, that is how we make things better, but to fabricate issues disqusts me.

Can't argue with this, it's all extremely true :)

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Tried the beta over the weekend. It played pretty much like every other FTP korean mmo i've ever tried. The aiming thing for combat was interesting, but ultimately it boils down to the same as those other games. Kill 10 of  X, again, and again, and again. Some people don't seem to have issue with the grind so it's probably not that.

But why will it fail?

Did you see the Ilum posts in swtor and what a shitstorm that turned out to be?. Bioware then basically said, Ok Ilum didn't work, so we're going to add in a new battleground. Thats pvp sorted.

Open pvp with no objectives never work.

Just fighting for the sake of fighting an endgame will not make.

Do you all remember wow vanilla with tauren mill figting? HUge fights, great fun for the first week or so. But when you actually wanted to get something done,  not so fun then. Or daoc mordred servers, how quickly those died out. Shadowbane... RIFT! the list goes on.

Also...what's up with the 10 y.o looking girl characters with short skirts, bunny ears and stuff, [mod edit]

Wow... the fail train is never late is it?

Ok, so I do get what you're saying here as I've been saying it myself since Shadowbane closed it's doors. Fighting just because, doesn't work. But it doesn't fail either. Case in point would be Warcraft. It still has the most subs of any game (that has paid subs) and there's no real reason to fight as there are no player built structures or land to really defend. Most people in WoW fight for gear. And that's not really a compelling reason in my opinion. I do miss the days of fighting for something. From what I've been reading, GW2, may be have a little shot in the arm as it will at least have battles that last for two weeks or so, but ultimately, it's still wiped and done over and over again with not much to loose, except two weeks of your life..lol

All that being said, I can't really judge Tera and it's not released and there are unknown portions of the PVP. 

I loved Shadowbane because there was a real sense of why you were fighting. If your City was taken and your Tree detroyed, you lost your Guild. If you were killed, you lost your inventory. There was a reason to try to stay alive and fight. So I do see where you're going with your post and I agree what that portion. However, the games out now have showed that not having a reason to pvp doesn't equal a game failing. It just means the hardcore pvp'ers may avoid your game. 

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Originally posted by Savageone

This topic is funny. Why you ask?

Because this is the same thing said about almost every game out there. That it is doomed to fail even before release.

Do you people like anything  besides bacon?...........LOL

Ofc no one else like anything but bacon, common sense man =P

Originally posted by kanezfan

I predict that this game will have 200k box sells at most. Same old game we've been playing for 10+ years. Only difference is combat. F2P within 6 months.

Just me or everyone notice this guy pretty much goes to every thread to post the same thing? good Sir care to predict the winning lottery number for me?

Originally posted by Leucent

But there is an objective to the pvp in this game we fight for territory and politics you may not have noticed in your epic weekend journey to level 4.

Ah yes, the 2-3 big guilds owning a server syndrome. Anyone that says that won t get old fast, is fooling themselves.

expect if you bother to check up anything on the political system, some of the provience you gain control through votes (for the big and zerg guilds) and other provience you gain control through battle grounds (5v5 or 10v10 i forgot which) meaning you can have a 10 man guild and still control territories.

Also don't think number is everything in Tera, my guild have won more than once in fights where we were out number 2 to 1 and we were not over lvl or over geared compare to other guilds.

Seriously anyone who say this game is not a pvp game, have you guys played this game or even tryed pvp at all? The pvp in this game is so different from the rest of the game. When you pvp its like your playing completely other game. And if your fighitng like you are in PvE your doing something VERY wrong. Its really amazing how much skill and experience matter in this game, i bee constantly pvping good pvper in my guild getting completely wrecked in first match, like litteraly do almost no dmg to them, and after pvpign more and rematch later i can take them down to half health and one pointi manage to kill a mystic i wasn't even able to touch before. Than i pvp new player and its like a joke how easy it is compare to more experienced and skill player. And thats only in 1v1. When you play 5v5 or 10v10 it require so much team work to get things done. And than when you have massive battles its completely different from all other form of pvp. The combat style is seriously best when in PvP

Yes I ve read that, but gaining control through BGs, thats just silly. Wheres the OWPvP incentive in that. As I said, many things they re doing will only take away from OWPvP in the end. As far as combat style goes, it gets boring after awhile IMO. I m sure people love it, but I can safely say, for me and my guildies, it s just a feature that becomes stale after awhile.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by BadSpock

Honestly I do not believe Tera to really be anything special because it is a game based around a gimmick.

The gimmick? More "active" combat that requires aiming and a bit more movement.

What else about Tera is really new or innovative?

I can't think of anything. The end-game PvP politics and such MAY be innovative and interesting and add a whole new dynamic to end-game PvP, but it is as of yet a very unproven quality.

Just like people said AoC's seiges were an innovative and interesting/new element, only to find on launch that they didn't even work, like... at all.

Take away the "different" combat and what does Tera have?

Solo "kill 10 rats" quest-hub grind, trinity game play, instanced PvP, instanced dungeons/raiding, mediocre crafting, and open world group PvE similar to a dozen other games (BAM's)

Is Tera a strong enough/innovative enough game to stand on it's own WITHOUT the gimmick of its combat?

I don't think so.

Games based on a Gimmick tend to shine brightly early on and then collapse in flames because the rest of the game is so generic.

Rift, AoC, WAR, TOR... games based on a gimmick without any fundamental difference outside of the gimmick itself.

This is very easy to say, and I wouldnt have given a crap about these comments before last wekeend, like I didnt really give a crap about the whole game, but I decided to try it, and I must say having interesting combat is so much more than just interesting combat.

There are people who say they want to just pvp for no reason because it's more fun, there's people like me who skipped quests just to get out there and start grinding some mobs, yes I volunteered to grind because killing those mobs was fun, grinding was fun for the first time since grinding existed. I cant wait to get to more challenging content. Also, I dont know any other game that has world filled with BAMS/world bosses, that you can take on with a smaller group or even solo if you are that good.

I'm not sure if I'm biting here when you call a core mechanic of a game a gimmick. Combat is a core feature of mmorpgs that you do mostly in these games, to level, to pvp, to complete content. How can you compare it to a singleplayer mechanic in SWTOR, the VO's and storylines? While I really love that aspect of SWTOR, it has nothing to do with the actual gameplay as in fighting mobs, players, completing instances etc etc, while the combat in Tera affects 90% of the stuff you do in these games, fight. Tera does not change many features, but it does change the feature that has most meat around it, the combat, and it affects every other aspect of the game besides stuff like crafting, traveling etc.

It's also easy to dismiss mostly seamless world compared to heavily instanced or at least zoned games like SWTOR, AoC, and a ton of other mmorpgs. Also nobody gives a crap about nice graphics, enemies that has great visuals and animations and have tons of different moves, when we have an ocean of mmorpgs these days that have 5 year old graphics and every mob uses autoattack + 1 extra "cool ability" if you're lucky.

My weekend with Tera did not make me a T-fanboy, and I propably wont play it after GW2 gets released, time will tell, but it's sad to see it getting so much crap thrown at it without a thought. Maybe it does not change the genre, but I rather play Tera and grind some hard ass mobs that requires tactics and skills from me or my group, than any of the other themepark jewels where I grind piss easy dailies while watching TV.

There's so much in Tera that could have been done better (like the noob island /yawn /facepalm), but it would be just plain wrong for me to say that I agree with you, it's not a game for everyone ofcourse, but at least in my case it surprised me a bit and changed the priorities of what I thought was most important in mmorpgs. And it has boobs.

• King_JgKing_Jg Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Originally posted by Yamota

Tried the beta over the weekend. It played pretty much like every other FTP korean mmo i've ever tried. The aiming thing for combat was interesting, but ultimately it boils down to the same as those other games. Kill 10 of  X, again, and again, and again. Some people don't seem to have issue with the grind so it's probably not that.

But why will it fail?

Did you see the Ilum posts in swtor and what a shitstorm that turned out to be?. Bioware then basically said, Ok Ilum didn't work, so we're going to add in a new battleground. Thats pvp sorted.

Do you all remember wow vanilla with tauren mill figting? HUge fights, great fun for the first week or so. But when you actually wanted to get something done,  not so fun then. Or daoc mordred servers, how quickly those died out. Shadowbane... RIFT! the list goes on.

Also...what's up with the 10 y.o looking girl characters with short skirts, bunny ears and stuff, that's just sad. If you pick one of those to play, you are not right. Get help. Stay away from schools. 

I agree with your last comment, Elin characters are disturbing. However the rest I can't say I agree with. Those games you mentioned, except ShadowBane which did have purpose in its PvP but failed for other reasons, are all heavy PvE centered ThemeParks which failed, in PvP, because the game was not designed for it.

Now you could argue that TERA will be the same, it could be, but I am hoping the devs will design the world for PvP. But if they do not, like in WoW, Rift, SW:TOR and so on, then yes the PvP will fall flat on it's face.

Unless you are specifically on a pvp server, the game was designed for pve.  They have the neet guild wars mechanic only on pvp servers where you can declare war on up to 3 other guilds.  But other than that, I don't think there is any objective based pvp.  I don't see how anything was designed with pvp in mind.  I could be very wrong on this, this is just my take from the beta weekend and the info I have read.

there will be battlegrounds added after launch, also pvp will be a route to go when the political system kicks in....i think world pvp is just fine....but for now, pvp wise, thats all we can do.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

[mod edit]

so you can't post your thought of a game, because "its not in game yet"?

If that is the case we should never say anything about a mmo because they could always say aits not in game(we want to place it in game from 10 years from now it should be there).

ut like I said before, combat is slow, pve is too easy, the bams I could find (basilisks and kumas) are easy to read and I can do then alone, instance the lvl 20 one you just need a cleric to heall all other slots just put dps, slow moving speed in combat is annoying making the whole combat be the first to hit will kill or you will depend on rng to get a stun, knockdown or any other thing who can interrupt action. large scale could be diferent, but we know pretty sure most us players hate work together for something, so pretty much will work the same lure a small group  out of the zerg wipe then and repeat.

[mod edit]

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by agriffin85

All I have left to say is this:

What in the hell is wrong with you people?  NO ONE has expereinced the PvP system for Tera.  I'm not saying that TERA PvP will succeed or fail but are these moronic posts about how awful TERA PvP is really necessary?

I mean for the love of god, when you post these things about how much TERA PvP blows, as fact,  when there is 100% no chance that you've experienced it (BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN THE FUCKING GAME YET) do you really think your right?

Is it really too much to ask people to use basic brain functions before making a post?  (this is a rhetorical question, I know it's too much to ask)

so you can't post your thought of a game, because "its not in game yet"?

If that is the case we should never say anything about a mmo because they could always say aits not in game(we want to place it in game from 10 years from now it should be there).

ut like I said before, combat is slow, pve is too easy, the bams I could find (basilisks and kumas) are easy to read and I can do then alone, instance the lvl 20 one you just need a cleric to heall all other slots just put dps, slow moving speed in combat is annoying making the whole combat be the first to hit will kill or you will depend on rng to get a stun, knockdown or any other thing who can interrupt action. large scale could be diferent, but we know pretty sure most us players hate work together for something, so pretty much will work the same lure a small group  out of the zerg wipe then and repeat.

so to end, is too much to ask for fanboys learn to take critcism? oh right sorry forget most people who is in love with something or someone tend to ignore most of flaws.

You can post your thoughts on a game all you want.  But these posts are not presented as thoughts, they are presented as facts.

These people are not saying what they think is going to happen based on opinion.  They are saying what is.  AKA they are taking their PvP beta experience of going level 1-15 or so and getting ganked as the PvP in the released version of TERA and complaining that there is no point.  It's insane, they have no facts or basis for this.

You can say that you don't think TERA's PvP idea's will work out all day, and that is your opinion.  And that is fine but don't come in and say TERA'S PvP is AWFUL, I know because I played a beta that went to level 32 and didn't even have any of the end-game PvP options in the game yet.

PS.  If you actually read my post you would know I'm not a fanboy.  I specifically said that I'm not defending or bashing TERA, I'm just pointing out the insanity of these complaints.  This shit does nothing but destroys the hopes of all MMO's.  At least wait untill you've experienced  the games PvP features before you come in a scream about how much the PvP sucks.

• dschledschle Member Posts: 25

Honestly, there are some major things to me personally that scares me about Tera. Now in this past Beta, I only got to lvl 17 as a Ranger. And as a community, once someone says anything negative about the game and tells their max lvl that is under 20, they get flamed hard, but whatever. 

In every MMO I've played, from DAoC, WoW, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, TOR....everyone of those games tend to have a part while leveling that is boring, mind numbing, and makes you wish there was more to it. In everyone of those games, this happens somewhere in the middle levels, and you remember the start of the leveling phase and remember how good it was, and stick it out till you get that feeling again. Personally to me, if you have to wait till lvl 20, 1/3 of the leveling, before the game gets good, it's a major red flag in my personal eyes. 

The combat as it is isn't too shabby, but just like tab targeting mmos, I found myself using the same buttons in an order to kill something as fast as possiable, rinse and repeat. You may have to point twords the area of the mob, but you don't have to be right on the mob for the abilities to hit. As nice of a change as it is from tab targeting, It's like playing a game like Fable, but with a little less freedom in the combat to how it feels, again, in my personal opinion.

Yes yes, quest based leveling isn't anything new and shouldn't be a knock, but after so long, you would hope for some sort of small variant to this old style of click on NPC, hit accept, look at the quest tracker to see what to do, ect. Even something to the point of you click on the NPC, he says something in a personal chat bubble that only you can see, and you have the quest in your tracker. Nothing major, just something to give it a minor twist is all. Again, this is my personal opinion.

Now, I'm not huge in the PvP stuff since all I remember are the glory days of DAoC and how nothing captures me like they did, but I'll always like pvp in other games just for the change of pace. For a game to be action combat and not have options for pvp at launch is another red flag for me. If TOR or Rift really showed anything, it's that talking about features, and then not having them untill after launch tells me, in my personal opinion, that the game isn't fully completed. Just like the politic system they will have down the road. Personally, it's a big turn off for a game to say what they will have down the road, but didn't feel like it needed to be finished before launch.

I'm still on the fence with this game. Maybe if I have been out of a job since December and just recently got myself a new one (god I hate the unemployment rate right now) I would be more incline to just take that leap of faith that I've normally always done, who knows. But right now, too many things about the game would scare me to get the game. Oh, and since I've seen many people attack others for not being too keen on the game at this point and shove facts and opinion based facts down someone's throats, remember these all are just my personal opinion about the game and nothing more.

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by dschle

Honestly, there are some major things to me personally that scares me about Tera. Now in this past Beta, I only got to lvl 17 as a Ranger. And as a community, once someone says anything negative about the game and tells their max lvl that is under 20, they get flamed hard, but whatever. 

In every MMO I've played, from DAoC, WoW, Warhammer, Aion, Rift, TOR....everyone of those games tend to have a part while leveling that is boring, mind numbing, and makes you wish there was more to it. In everyone of those games, this happens somewhere in the middle levels, and you remember the start of the leveling phase and remember how good it was, and stick it out till you get that feeling again. Personally to me, if you have to wait till lvl 20, 1/3 of the leveling, before the game gets good, it's a major red flag in my personal eyes. 

The combat as it is isn't too shabby, but just like tab targeting mmos, I found myself using the same buttons in an order to kill something as fast as possiable, rinse and repeat. You may have to point twords the area of the mob, but you don't have to be right on the mob for the abilities to hit. As nice of a change as it is from tab targeting, It's like playing a game like Fable, but with a little less freedom in the combat to how it feels, again, in my personal opinion.

Yes yes, quest based leveling isn't anything new and shouldn't be a knock, but after so long, you would hope for some sort of small variant to this old style of click on NPC, hit accept, look at the quest tracker to see what to do, ect. Even something to the point of you click on the NPC, he says something in a personal chat bubble that only you can see, and you have the quest in your tracker. Nothing major, just something to give it a minor twist is all. Again, this is my personal opinion.

Now, I'm not huge in the PvP stuff since all I remember are the glory days of DAoC and how nothing captures me like they did, but I'll always like pvp in other games just for the change of pace. For a game to be action combat and not have options for pvp at launch is another red flag for me. If TOR or Rift really showed anything, it's that talking about features, and then not having them untill after launch tells me, in my personal opinion, that the game isn't fully completed. Just like the politic system they will have down the road. Personally, it's a big turn off for a game to say what they will have down the road, but didn't feel like it needed to be finished before launch.

I'm still on the fence with this game. Maybe if I have been out of a job since December and just recently got myself a new one (god I hate the unemployment rate right now) I would be more incline to just take that leap of faith that I've normally always done, who knows. But right now, too many things about the game would scare me to get the game. Oh, and since I've seen many people attack others for not being too keen on the game at this point and shove facts and opinion based facts down someone's throats, remember these all are just my personal opinion about the game and nothing more.

^^^THIS^^^

Learn from this man people.  He posted his worries and opinions about the game (with good merit).  He did not post his level 1-20 beta experience as a testament on the games' PvP experience and play his opinions off as facts.  Well done sir.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Alkarionlog

To be fair the same thing can be framed differently to suit a persons argument. You say the combat is slow, I say it's tactical so to that end it's not ignoring flaws it's not seeing them as flaws in the first place.

If you were able to solo BAMs easily at level 20 I have a statement and a couple questions:

First, nice job as not everyone has reactions to pull it off sans full skills and speed gear that comes later.

Q1, What class and level were you when you fought them? Was their level the same?
    Q2, How long did it roughly take?

I ask because I haven't fought them yet. All of the YouTube solo BAM videos I've seen with max level characters it still takes 8-10 minutes, sometimes longer, and is an agreeable counterbalance IMO.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• RJCoxRJCox Member Posts: 2,686

Personally to me, if you have to wait till lvl 20, 1/3 of the leveling, before the game gets good, it's a major red flag in my personal eyes. 

It may be 1/3 of the possible levels, but it really doesn't take much time to get there... I downloaded the beta Sat afternoon. I was level 23 after about 8 hours of solo playing, as a Priest.

There are things I'm still iffy about with the game. I'm digging it currently, more than I have with an MMO in quite a while, but it will be interesting to see how it holds my attention... I don't know how the higher levels are, but the lower/mid ones are definitely far less grindy than I feared they would be, cause you know, stereotypes and all...

EDIT: And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue or flame your point, just saying that was one of the big fears I went into the game with after reading people's opinions about it online. I just assumed that if the game didn't get fun until 20 like a lot of people claimed, and with the Korean influence of the game it MUST be grindy as hell, it would be weeks before I was having fun or whatever. Ended up being pleasantly surprised in that regard.

Richard J. Cox
    "There were much of the beautiful, much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible, and not a little of that which might have excited disgust."

I doubt anyone will flame you for voicing your opinions even if you didn't hit lvl 20 :) 

The problem, at least for me, is with people who played till level 4 and then start to comment aspects of the game like the end game, BAM, istances etc predicting doom and gloom without even knowing the game at all. 

Back to the point, as I already said on this board I don't belive that once you reach level 20 your eyes open to a new world, the game is always the same, there are more challenge, more fun and more freedom, true, but if you didn't like it the first 10 levels you are not going to fall in love with it at 20. 

I liked the combat system since lvl 1 but i don't care for quests at all, i click on the npc click accept without even reading the first line, then click the name of the mobs i have to kill and start the massacre. 

What I like is the fight, i can't care less about why i have to kill a Basilisk, it's big, evil and it looks badass is enough for me to want him dead.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I ask because I haven't fought them yet. All of the YouTube solo BAM videos I've seen with max level characters it still takes 8-10 minutes, sometimes longer, and is an agreeable counterbalance IMO.

Shame on you Deron!!!! You have to solo a basilisk is a rite of passage.

Seriously Basilisks are pretty easy to solo, they are slow and they telegraph every attack. They are still dangerous an enraged Basilisk can oneshoot you with a power attack, but notthing too hard.

/Evade

Lol, you bet I would have been killing them, or trying, if I had gotten to 20. I had a lot of math to do so I didn't get to play very much. That's okay, my character will be there for Head Start :)

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

If you were able to solo BAMs easily at level 20 I have a statement and a couple questions:

First, nice job as not everyone has reactions to pull it off sans full skills and speed gear that comes later.

Granted I only played til level 33, but  never saw any PvE content that required fast, precise, reactions.  Its really not any different than, say, that rock dude in Stonecore in WoW that does the aoe ground slam attack.  As long as you are paying attention to the cues you have more than enough time to get out of the way.

This is what really puzzles me the most.  I hear about TERA being this skill required game, and I just dont see it as a significant difference.  Sure, I can see it punishing the people that can't get out of the ground slam attack (and weve all dealt with those) but for the most part the people that are adequate, good, or great at WoW will still be adequate, good, or great in TERA.  There may be a learning curve initially, but its not a steep one

And skill is still a secondary factor in performance.  TERA is still very much a gear based game.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

@Alkarionlog

To be fair the same thing can be framed differently to suit a persons argument. You say the combat is slow, I say it's tactical so to that end it's not ignoring flaws it's not seeing them as flaws in the first place.

Q1, What class and level were you when you fought them? Was their level the same?

Q2, How long did it roughly take?

well since you asked, I was lvl 20-21 the first one basilisk, most using items from quests and drops(weapon was from a quest) slayer was teh class, most of time he will yell or show the skill he gonna use, eyes flash red most of time, learn to hit dodge when he do that and keep hiting behind him or his sides, I could also sometimes knock him down and could just burn all skills. kumas I was 24-25, same drill, maybe the right after the first combat you agro him then keep distance seeing how he act to learn how to take advantage of his pretty low speed. first time 15 min then btw 10-15 min each try, nice way to farm too. the trick part is pks attacking you when you try to kill the basilisk and kumas, in kumas area you can bet you will be pked by groups of 3-4 in basilisk sometimes a solo will try to kill you, 

also I don't thing would be a waste of time, most drops of then are nice, rings gems and money 25k from a basilisk is a nice drop and for 10 m, yeah its real nice, you should just have a fireplace close by to restore stam and burn some buffs on then each fight to keep it faster.

but again like I said any game who let me kill they elites or so alone without problem, is too damn easy to my taste.

props to tera right now its P2P by I don't think it will be for too long

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by teakbois

Granted I only played til level 33, but  never saw any PvE content that required fast, precise, reactions.  Its really not any different than, say, that rock dude in Stonecore in WoW that does the aoe ground slam attack.  As long as you are paying attention to the cues you have more than enough time to get out of the way.

This is what really puzzles me the most.  I hear about TERA being this skill required game, and I just dont see it as a significant difference.  Sure, I can see it punishing the people that can't get out of the ground slam attack (and weve all dealt with those) but for the most part the people that are adequate, good, or great at WoW will still be adequate, good, or great in TERA.  There may be a learning curve initially, but its not a steep one

And skill is still a secondary factor in performance.  TERA is still very much a gear based game.

mmmm you still have to be observant in tera where in wow with super easy mode you can just plow through

• davinci179davinci179 Member Posts: 13

But why will it fail?

Also...what's up with the 10 y.o looking girl characters with short skirts, bunny ears and stuff, [mod edit]

You clearly do not know what you are talking about. Wars in South Shore Vs Tauren Mills did not last a week they last years before the BC expansion. Open world pvp was the most fun I ever had in WoW and alot of others to the fact now that in MOP blizzard has announced trying to get back to that. Also look at a chat channel in WoW there is constant complaining how much better Vanilla WoW is then what they have now. Perhaps you need objectives to go on a gank fest but for me and plenty of true PvPers that thrill of the hunt is far better then organized pvp events IE BGS/Arena. Griefing horde/alliance cities or coming to the rescue is what always felt like the true war between horde and alliance. Not some scripted bgs. I am sure you are part of the new generation who just wants to sit in the middle of a city spamming the chat channels while queing for everything you want to do but that for me is what has killed the fun in WoW and MMOs that follow its format. I would be plenty happy to go back to the days of the world pvp battles just for the sake of the FUN factor rather then to sitting in battlegrounds grinding out the same gear over and over listening to people complain. Or running the same arenas over and over and over again which doesnt even feel like pvp rather duels and you dont even fight the opposing faction rather just whoever else queues up.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by teakbois

and a patience based game.  I mean, for claiming "true action combat," it's awfully slow.  Everything has a ton of health.  Fighting BAMs is more of an endurance trial, than a test of skill.  Once you learn how to do it, the question is just whether you'll be able to stand the tedium of it.  I think for most players, the answer to that will be, hell no.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

@Alkarionlog

Thanks for the indepth response! I see your point about how BAMs should not be possible. A counter point I can think of is that a group would be killing x times faster but those who don't mind spending that long on a BAM can also have that content available. I personally plan to group them but I'm sure I'll have fun with them solo as well.

@Teakbois

I think people are going to take to TERA's combat faster and to a greater extent than others. Even if the combat comes easy to you it still has to be used. You're still blocking, dodging and attacking when you have to do dk ttaking a far more active role in the combat. At least that's what I got out of it. My goal as a Warrior is always to kill the mob without getting hit once :)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Originally posted by jdnewell

Maybe its because I have a daughter ( 13 last month ) I see nothing "sexy" about the Elin.

I challenge anyone to find a 10y/o who looks like that. Thats what? 5th grade at 10 y/o. Go to the elementary or middle school and see how many " 10 y/o " kids who look like that.

My daughter has her friends over, neighborhood kids, friends kids, ect. And none of them look anything like an Elin. If anything the Elin look like a late teen, early 20s anime style female.

By some of the posters line of reasoning anyone who like anime is a "perv" looking for material to maturbate to. Some people just need to face the facts, just because YOU see a " Child" being portrayed as a sex object does not mean everyone else does.

-gives a standing ovation- you good sir need to breed more, good genes in you.

This discussion has been closed.