Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dailies are the worst thing to happen to the genre.

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

It's just lazy grind content that isn't fun and just ruins an end game. It's just "go get this repeatable quest" then "collect 50 or these or kill 50 of those" then you get a reward. I mean why not just tie that into stats like if you get 50 kills in a PVP battleground or have a dot kill someone after your died or something fun? You have games like TF2 that do fun things like these and then you have this whole loot/crafting system which is amazing. 

Instead in MMOs you do Dailies for gear and you have a broken worthless crafting system. Funny how an FPS does the whole character/gear progression better than any modern MMOs... tbh it's as much of an MMO as most "MMOs" are these days. All you have now is hubs that everyone stays in and just grinds small scale PVP in battlegrounds or "raids" which don't deserve the name as they're so small scale. Soon Left 4 Dead will have more people in a game than a Raid, if people get their way it'll be solo raids cause apparently everyone hates grouping.

Just get rid of Dailies and do something fun like TF2's drop and crafting system instead, in fact it's the perfect way to frigging fix SWTORs broken worthless crafting lol.

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I though Item malls were

Dailies are just a symptom of a bigger problem with MMOs, which is lack of things to log on for. Its conception is a result of lack of creativity and lazyness.

If themeparks started to add more sandbox elements, then you could do away with dailies completely. People wouldn't need to find an excuse to log on every day.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Battlegrounds / Arenas / Warzones = LAZY IMPLEMENTATION of PvP.

Dailies / Repeatable Quests = LAZY IMPLEMENTATION of PvE.

100% Theme Park = LAZY IMAGINATION

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Most current genre end game is laziness, you still run the same instance over and over or pvp the same battle ground or wat zone over and over.

so dailies is a way where players can get some rewards if they.not.gona raid and yet the devs are able to make players play longer ....

whole end game have to change, but for themepark mmo I've no idea what to replace them with

RIP Orc Choppa

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Yes, the first person that brought up the idea of daily quests should have been slapped. Hard. I honestly never want to see them in another game.

Hey, let's have a quest in the game that you can do over and over and over and over and over.  Doesn't that sound awesome?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Which is probably why my favourite game is still Eve online...

Themepark games need to be more than just rinse and repeat, for the most part, i would say the biggest hurdle is that they dont trust the players to know how to have fun, their afraid that if they don't tell the player every 5 seconds that their really good so have a new shiny, they might go play a different game or something.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Starpower

Dailies are just a symptom of a bigger problem with MMOs, which is lack of things to log on for. Its conception is a result of lack of creativity and lazyness.

The lack of things to log in for is because players have little to not attachment to the players around them that makes them want to log in. IE basically the lack of things to log in for is just a symptom of the bigger problem that many current games have a lack of community among the players (and the debate on why communities have suffered greatly in the newer MMO's has been argued to death)

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Phry

Themepark games need to be more than just rinse and repeat, for the most part, i would say the biggest hurdle is that they dont trust the players to know how to have fun, their afraid that if they don't tell the player every 5 seconds that their really good so have a new shiny, they might go play a different game or something.

I second this. All people who agree should migrate over to Sandboxes. It's time. I didnt choose EVE tho...Mortal Online for me.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by OberanMiM

Originally posted by Starpower

The lack of things to log in for is because players have little to not attachment to the players around them that makes them want to log in. IE basically the lack of things to log in for is just a symptom of the bigger problem that many current games have a lack of community among the players (and the debate on why communities have suffered greatly in the newer MMO's has been argued to death)

I played EQ for 4 years and DaoC for 3

Not once did I log on because of "community". I logged on because at the time, they were great games and there was always something to do. Levelling was a long process and so was reaching your personal goals. If anything is to blame, then it's the Mc'MMOs that insists endgame should be reached preferably yesterday, with its easy and fast advancement systems

Although I agree the community part has gone to hell, I strongly disagree with a correlation to 'dailies'. Not everybody plays MMOs to become buddy buddy with online players, like a little online family and we are quite able to keep our attention span focused on 1 game for long periods of time if the game is well made in all aspects

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by xDayx

Originally posted by Phry

I second this. All people who agree should migrate over to Sandboxes. It's time. I didnt choose EVE tho...Mortal Online for me.

when they release a sandbox that is as good as the best themepark people will be there.  Not as many as many people who enjoy sandboxes would want, but there would be enough to keep the game updated and populated.  Just look at eve, if they had a fantasy version with a better ui and combat it would serve a good niche.  It would have to be feature rich at launch which is where most of the current sandboxes have fallen far far far far far short.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Dailies were a solution to the player desire to repeatedly farm a dungeon they enjoy.

The alternative would be to manage the game world's economy in such a manner that the rewards pulled from the dungeon don't start flooding the market and causing inflation. Most MMOs use BOP as a part of their approach to it. Some use loss and breakage (often through durability), and others allow the rewards to be refined down to base materials, which in turn supplies another subset of the server community - the crafters.

The root of it all is the static, lossless gear-based system. Epics and the One Best Item We All Need available only at the end of a spcifica dungeon is prolific in mainstream MMos. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds this crappy item system together. Dailies are a symptom and a poor solution for a much deeper issue.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I've never had to worry about dailies because no MMO has ever had strong enough core gameplay to keep me engaged enough to reach max level (yes, even these "super quick" MMOs of today).

I don't think the answer to contentment is to return to dem goo' ol' days with a super long level curve either, because usually that just means the core gameplay is even worse and involves even more repetative actions than before (repetition being the mark of shame of this genre). Besides, today's gamers are different than yesteryears. They will devour your super long level curve in weeks and complain that it was not fulfilling enough.

The problem is a fundamental flaw in themepark games, as others have mentioned. Content must be provided to be entertaining to a large segment of players (myself included), but progress is the only thing that matters to a smaller, more devoted set of core players.

Someone should really make a game that says "f you" to the content and just provides Progressionists what they really want: the most engaging endless progress treadmill ever created.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Originally posted by tixylix

It's just lazy grind content that isn't fun and just ruins an end game. It's just "go get this repeatable quest" then "collect 50 or these or kill 50 of those" then you get a reward. I mean why not just tie that into stats like if you get 50 kills in a PVP battleground or have a dot kill someone after your died or something fun? You have games like TF2 that do fun things like these and then you have this whole loot/crafting system which is amazing. 

hmm, there *ARE* pvp dallies just like that. In fact, there were dallies exactly as you have described back in WOTLK in WOW. (Kill 10 alliance players in WG .. for example).

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Sythion

I've never had to worry about dailies because no MMO has ever had strong enough core gameplay to keep me engaged enough to reach max level (yes, even these "super quick" MMOs of today).

I don't think the answer to contentment is to return to dem goo' ol' days with a super long level curve either, because usually that just means the core gameplay is even worse and involves even more repetative actions than before (repetition being the mark of shame of this genre). Besides, today's gamers are different than yesteryears. They will devour your super long level curve in weeks and complain that it was not fulfilling enough.

The problem is a fundamental flaw in themepark games, as others have mentioned. Content must be provided to be entertaining to a large segment of players (myself included), but progress is the only thing that matters to a smaller, more devoted set of core players.

Someone should really make a game that says "f you" to the content and just provides Progressionists what they really want: the most engaging endless progress treadmill ever created.

What single player game isn't like that though? Pick your favorite single player rpg or rts and play it for 5 years. Gets boring.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    What I don't understand is why dailies/raids etc for loot drops are considered ok by most, but if you do the same for coin/resource to pay a crafter it is considered grinding
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Daily Quests feel like an excuse to execute the "dangle the carrot-on-a-stick" model on players to retain subscription fees, by stretching the completion of various tasks out over a period of weeks or months, because whoever was in charge of game development and sales execution just couldn't wait for the programmers to implement larger zones and more world content.

One thing I noticed about doing daily quests for "farming rep" was the way the very high-end (max reputation) items were usually rendered somewhat useless by the next "Content Update".  It was good enough to tide people over until another "carrot-on-a-stick" could be implemented.

It's a crappy model, and leaves one with the impression that they are running on a hampster habitrail.

The other impression I get is like that scene from Zoolander, where Patton Oswalt is throwing bananas at Ben Stiller while yelling, "Dance, Monkey!  Dance!"

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I don't mind dailies as long as there are other aspects of the game I am signing on for also that I still enjoying. If it's the only reason I sign in then it's time for me to find a new game.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

agreed, it is lazy developer syndrome imo.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Originally posted by sinjin

I second this comment.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I agree with the OP.  Item malls usually don't present a huge problem for me as long as they are done well.  However, nothing is worse then doing the same crap daily over and over every day (even feeling that you MUST complete it daily) to keep up gear wise with other players.

Dailies suck and I hope someone starts using a more unique way to do this sort of thing.

• ThaonnorThaonnor Member Posts: 12

You know, the word grind is thrown around a lot. In reality, grinding is what an MMO used to be, and what an MMO will always be. You want to reach a goal, the point of the game is to kill things, you need to kill a lot of things to become powerful enough to kill the main thing... so don't cry about "grinding". In an FPS, the point is to kill things - yet no one complains about the endless grind that is playing 1,500 matches to max your perks or whatever.

I agree with you in an different sense - I think dailies are one of the worst things to happen to MMORPGs because it rewards players more than they perhaps should be for grinding. It tells me where I need to go to grind, instead of allowing me to pick and choose my location. One of the things I miss most about SWG was having no idea where to go to grind... because I could go ANYWHERE to grind for xp... but "the genre has gone a different direction these days" so /shrug.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Originally posted by sinjin

I second this comment.

I want to add a 'me too'.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Perhaps not the worst but it's certainly high on the list.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

You know what I hear?  Lets get rid of McDonalds.  Dailies are enjoyed by millions, and they were asked for.  Not forced upon a unwilling populus, like their removal would be.  The next thing devs heard from the paying public, they don't want to be forced to buy gear from crafters.  Crafters are seen as greedy, unscrupulous, money vacuums.  So that is why you don't see a system like the one in Team Fortress 2.

You know what fans of Open World PvP like in their OWPvP?  Fans of PvE.  You know what Fans of OWPvP hate about Battlegrounds or Instanced PvP?  They are filled with Fans of PvP.  Battlegrounds are consensual PvP.  OWPvP is non-consensual PvP, or "----".  MMO PvP data was analysed, and OWPvP was seen to be used as a denial of service to paying customers.  When the attacking players were asked what their PvP goals were, they answered "to maintain their claim to fame of reach the level they had and preventing others from doing the same".  These same players avoided all PvP with equal leveled players.  All of this was predicted by Bartle.  Further analysis showed a behavior similar to stalking a victim, and slipping something into their drink.  This is why PvE & PvP are separated as they are now.

These feature that are constantly called for their removal, are not there by accident.  If you're gonna call for the removal of features that the public wants, then you must answer, how and truly why.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

I really dislike Daily quests and the whole notion of them.

It is really like work, not like play, and to me simply an indication that a game lacks vision andgameplay possibilities. Of course this is inherent problem to the Themepark design as players tend to consume content faster than Devs can make it, but in the final analysis maybe this is sayingthet that themepark approach is flawed too.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Yeah dailies are horrible, I cringe everytime I have to do one.

I dont mind dailies when its part of a world event to open up a dungeon or part of the story and lore, but the rest having to repeat them day after day for gear and other things makes me cry.