Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony region locking EQ2 (and other games...)

Comments

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Dissolution (SOE) definitely does not consider individuals who travel often for professional reasons. I may log in from the US, Asia, EU, Iraq, or Afghanistan. If I can only log in when I am in one particular neighborhood they certainly lost my business.
    guild wars2 is facing similar issues and havent addressed it yet
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/arenanet-details-guild-wars-2s-squad-mechanics/
    we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you

I have a feeling that more consideration will be given from a game that has yet to release than SOE and EQ2. I may be way off the mark on that, its just an assumption, but I dont expect to see this a consideration from SOE to be honest.

The demographic who may need to log in from multiple IP's is so small in comparison to the whole I have a feeling it will just be dismissed.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by fivoroth

All I can say is that SOE are stupid f*cks. How a company can be so dumb and retarded is beyond me? IP locking really?

I seriously do not understand how a company like Sony can keep this sh*t called Sony Online Entertainment. I've never had any gripes with the Sony brand but SOE are just pissing me off.

Amazing really. Forgive me for my incoming rant, I apologize in advance. I haven't been playing any MMOs recently, I do plan to play GW2 on release, but reading posts on these on this website has given me..a bit more insight as to the mindset of the MMO playing community. Not that I didn't know before, but I definitely have a more clear understanding now.

Earlier this week EA was voted the "worst company in America" http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/120405/ea-named-worst-company-america-consumerist-website. Now we have people spewing off about SoE. You can probably add EVERY other MMO company in the mix at some point in time.

Whether you guys agree or disagree with SoEs decision to do this, you have to realize, SoE is a "big business" company. They're not going to always do things players agree with. No big company will. I think it's time for many of you to grow up, get over the "me me me" mentality, and realize things won't always go your way. Considering the cost to produce AAA MMO games these days, big business is, sadly, the future of MMO gaming.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Dissolution

I have a feeling that more consideration will be given from a game that has yet to release than SOE and EQ2. I may be way off the mark on that, its just an assumption, but I dont expect to see this a consideration from SOE to be honest.

i think yours is a safe assumption - soe has a reputation for irritating their playerbase

but I do enjoy their games :)

I did read that before any of this happens - players will be given a 30 day notice via email

I dont like SOE's decision to go forward with this

Id like to see EQ2 removed from their game list for this (like EQ is)

i think yours is a safe assumption - soe has a reputation for irritating their playerbase
    but I do enjoy their games :)

I did read that before any of this happens - players will be given a 30 day notice via email
    I dont like SOE's decision to go forward with this
    Id like to see EQ2 removed from their game list for this (like EQ is)

It is what it is. I am still considering going all access for Vanguard and EQ1 as I have multiple characters on both, bit I did like EQ2 as well. If I was going to go all access it would have given me piece of mind to have EQ2( where my wife and I both have multiple characters) as well. Withoit it I have to think about it.

I play many different games at once so an all access doesnt necessarily bother me, but I also play a few other games and although I dont necessarily mind sub fees (I can afford this as a hobby) I dont really like buying an all access pass that doesnt give me access to all lol.

Besidest that, the games that are not on the list are the most likely to close shop. I am concerned in investing time and money to end up being anouther Agency, Matrix, EQOA or SWG player sitting with his *cough* mouse in his hands and nothing else.

Besidest that, the games that are not on the list are the most likely to close shop

I dont see EQ being shutdown in the near future

EQ does an expansion each year, the last one (October 2011) was the 18th expansion

and gave much more content than Age of Discovery (EQ2)

Vanguard is not on the list either and will be going free to play this summer

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

/rant on

The problem with these sorts of decisions is that they never consider the consequences for frequent travellers or people who live between continents. I don't think it is as low of a number as one might assume, and it isn't just American military personnel. It can be businessmen or other people who have to travel a lot for their jobs, people who have far-flung families, or ex-pats of one country.

Region-locking is bs. Companies always want globalisation to work in their favor, but do not want it to work in the favor of individuals, and I am for one sick of it. They have no consideration for the complexities of modernday life, and make it as awkward as possible. This is the case of mainly entertainment: games in general, DVDs, etc., but it also affects what cards you can use to purchase things online.

If they want to have a truly global economy, they need to realize that it is not a one-way street. Companies move and so do people, especially between the US and Asia, Europe and the US, etc.

I was going to play PS2 and keep up from time-to-time with my EQ2 subscription, but no longer. SOE have already tried region-locking once before and it sucked badly. If I sub to a game it is to have fun, not have an exercise of irritation.

/rant off

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480

Originally posted by MurlockDance

/rant on

The problem with these sorts of decisions is that they never consider the consequences for frequent travellers or people who live between continents. I don't think it is as low of a number as one might assume, and it isn't just American military personnel. It can be businessmen or other people who have to travel a lot for their jobs, people who have far-flung families, or ex-pats of one country.

Region-locking is bs. Companies always want globalisation to work in their favor, but do not want it to work in the favor of individuals, and I am for one sick of it. They have no consideration for the complexities of modernday life, and make it as awkward as possible. This is the case of mainly entertainment: games in general, DVDs, etc., but it also affects what cards you can use to purchase things online.

If they want to have a truly global economy, they need to realize that it is not a one-way street. Companies move and so do people, especially between the US and Asia, Europe and the US, etc.

I was going to play PS2 and keep up from time-to-time with my EQ2 subscription, but no longer. SOE have already tried region-locking once before and it sucked badly. If I sub to a game it is to have fun, not have an exercise of irritation.

/rant off

I think there may be more people that fall into the categories you listed than SOE anticipated. I see this as yet another poor business decision on their part.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

another gpotato clone!regional gaming suck!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by ace80k

All I can say is that SOE are stupid f*cks. How a company can be so dumb and retarded is beyond me? IP locking really?

I seriously do not understand how a company like Sony can keep this sh*t called Sony Online Entertainment. I've never had any gripes with the Sony brand but SOE are just pissing me off.

Amazing really. Forgive me for my incoming rant, I apologize in advance. I haven't been playing any MMOs recently, I do plan to play GW2 on release, but reading posts on these on this website has given me..a bit more insight as to the mindset of the MMO playing community. Not that I didn't know before, but I definitely have a more clear understanding now.

Earlier this week EA was voted the "worst company in America" http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/120405/ea-named-worst-company-america-consumerist-website. Now we have people spewing off about SoE. You can probably add EVERY other MMO company in the mix at some point in time.

Whether you guys agree or disagree with SoEs decision to do this, you have to realize, SoE is a "big business" company. They're not going to always do things players agree with. No big company will. I think it's time for many of you to grow up, get over the "me me me" mentality, and realize things won't always go your way. Considering the cost to produce AAA MMO games these days, big business is, sadly, the future of MMO gaming.

SOE is not a big business company. It may be big by MMO standards but it is a small company by gaming industry standards. The MMO industry is very small. A lot of people (gamers too) don't even know what an MMO is.

I don't care about MMOs, I don't care about MMO companies. For all I care they can all go to hell. I stopped playing them a long time ago, however, I do enjoy trolling these forums. MMOs are dumbed down games which are boring beyond belief. Once you've played one, you've seen them all.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Whether you guys agree or disagree with SoEs decision to do this, you have to realize, SoE is a "big business" company. They're not going to always do things players agree with. No big company will.

SOE is not a big business company. It may be big by MMO standards but it is a small company by gaming industry standards. The MMO industry is very small. A lot of people (gamers too) don't even know what an MMO is.]

by big business - i assume he meant that SOE is not an indie shop

any company thats spending hundreds of millions of dollars on their mmo franchise qualifies as big business for me

I think SOE is making a big mistake with their region locking decision

SOE is not a big business company. It may be big by MMO standards but it is a small company by gaming industry standards. The MMO industry is very small. A lot of people (gamers too) don't even know what an MMO is.

I don't care about MMOs, I don't care about MMO companies. For all I care they can all go to hell. I stopped playing them a long time ago, however, I do enjoy trolling these forums. MMOs are dumbed down games which are boring beyond belief. Once you've played one, you've seen them all.

Thanks for sharing? The first paragraph at least offered something pertinent to the conversation. And unless you have been living under a rock, even my inlaws who have never played a video game other than Pac_Man know what an MMO is these days (although they refer to it as "one of those internet games you pay for"). No "gamer" is clueless to what an MMO is since WoW struck oil. Even if there is a stigma about playing them.

EDITED: I will give you the "not by gaming industry standars" even if several PS2 and/or PS3 games are tied to SOE. I will agree those shouldnt be considered when analyzing the general gaming industry.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

Anyone in Europe will be forced to create an account with PSS1 or will be locked out of the SOE games after the transition! Regardless if we play on US servers or not!

Ahh well.... it was fun while it lasted. But here ends any dealing with SOE and their future games.

The deal is pretty much set in that European players will be FORCED to create an PSS1 account! And that is just baffling, as they received hundreds of pages of NEGATIVE feedback as to why people DO NOT want to!

They pretty much going to lose almost their entire European playerbase over this! What a total joke!

$OE strikes again!

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

I am am a member of a guild with mostly German and dutch players on AB, their comments. "Well it is a well known TV corporation, it will work it may even get better as it cant be much worse than SOE already manages Europe."

People for some reason forget that SOE lost a lot of account information last year and have had very bad service and availability of their products in Europe for years. I doubt that PSS1 bought the rights for Europe with the intent of doing things even worse, they can only keep customers by doing a better job. SOE's business strategy has been odd for years, clearly they  have no clue about business. I think that Sony will sell off SOE this year as Sony are losing lots of money and whatever business plan SOE has is not working (and SOE is not part of Sonys core business). I would like to see what the SOE designers could do with an owner that actually has some business acumen.

Finally PSS1 can not be worse businessmen than SOE that is simply imposible.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Whether you guys agree or disagree with SoEs decision to do this, you have to realize, SoE is a "big business" company. They're not going to always do things players agree with. No big company will.

SOE is not a big business company. It may be big by MMO standards but it is a small company by gaming industry standards. The MMO industry is very small. A lot of people (gamers too) don't even know what an MMO is.]

by big business - i assume he meant that SOE is not an indie shop

any company thats spending hundreds of millions of dollars on their mmo franchise qualifies as big business for me

I think SOE is making a big mistake with their region locking decision

Don't do what the players want and you wont be around fro very long. 

Originally posted by Knytta

I am am a member of a guild with mostly German and dutch players on AB, their comments. "Well it is a well known TV corporation, it will work it may even get better as it cant be much worse than SOE already manages Europe."

People for some reason forget that SOE lost a lot of account information last year and have had very bad service and availability of their products in Europe for years. I doubt that PSS1 bought the rights for Europe with the intent of doing things even worse, they can only keep customers by doing a better job. SOE's business strategy has been odd for years, clearly they  have no clue about business. I think that Sony will sell off SOE this year as Sony are losing lots of money and whatever business plan SOE has is not working (and SOE is not part of Sonys core business). I would like to see what the SOE designers could do with an owner that actually has some business acumen.

Finally PSS1 can not be worse businessmen than SOE that is simply imposible.

Ehh.... you might wanna check on PSS1, before you say they will do a better job than SOE.

PSS1 has a terrible reputation. Has a ToS in place, that gives them the right to delete accounts that have been inactive for just 90 days!

Not to mention they have been involved in selling out personal information of customers under the old previous company name. Have very poor security in place (you can count them being the next target of hacking and personal info theft, as soon as they got the games of SOE up and running). And so fort.

No way in hell I am going to create an account with PSS1. And seeing the 4th incarnation of the discussion topic on the official forums, with previous incarnations having reached hundreds of pages full of angry EU players threatening to leave SOE and their games forever....

I rest my case.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

Before there was EA it used to be Sony that caught all the gamer rage. I used to read stories years ago that the old man holding the power at Sony was constantly battling with younger family members who wanted to improve the way they treated their customers and ran their games. Sony kind of let themselves be overtaken and knocked down by newer game companies by being to staid and slow to change in my opinion. Now it looks like they are being scavenged. Flutter of leathery wings as EA smells blood.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

Originally posted by JeroKane

Ehh.... you might wanna check on PSS1, before you say they will do a better job than SOE.

PSS1 has a terrible reputation. Has a ToS in place, that gives them the right to delete accounts that have been inactive for just 90 days!

the security issues seem to reside with Alaplaya  (a branch of pss1)

there an ongoing discussion thread over there

http://en.alaplaya.net/forum/general-discussion-f2906/-updated-soe-prosiebensat1-games-partnership-faq-t492961.html

they deny deleting accounts in the FAQ but i havent seen the Terms of Service

Well remember that PSS1 paid SOE money to buy the horrible mess that was SOEs european operations that as I recall did not actually sell the boxes in europe, never participated in any special offers or competitions, totally flunked preorders (remember the headstart?)  and so on.

With the negativity against PSS1 from so many customers + the very bad state of SOE games in europe PSS1 has to do a good job otherwise they will not get their money back. PSS1 (like them or not) is a successful media company that has expanded by making several acquisitons during the last years, they probably know what they are doing and they bought Alaplaya not to long ago and you can change a company if you want to. SOE on the other hand is not mentioned as successful nowadays and the idea that SOE would be able to gain marketshare in Europe again by themselves is just silly. PSS1 have stated that they will try to grow their EU marketshare for SOE games, and one of the best ways to grow a market is by having a good product or a very large marketing budget, lets hope PSS1 targets quality.

Might the whole PSS1 thing be bad for EU customers, sure it might but as I see it the alternative (slow death of the SOE games in europe due to SOE inability and incompetence)  is worse.

Petrarch

Well remember that PSS1 paid SOE money to buy the horrible mess that was SOEs european operations that as I recall did not actually sell the boxes in europe, never participated in any special offers or competitions, totally flunked preorders (remember the headstart?)  and so on.

With the negativity against PSS1 from so many customers + the very bad state of SOE games in europe PSS1 has to do a good job otherwise they will not get their money back. PSS1 (like them or not) is a successful media company that has expanded by making several acquisitons during the last years, they probably know what they are doing and they bought Alaplaya not to long ago and you can change a company if you want to. SOE on the other hand is not mentioned as successful nowadays and the idea that SOE would be able to gain marketshare in Europe again by themselves is just silly. PSS1 have stated that they will try to grow their EU marketshare for SOE games, and one of the best ways to grow a market is by having a good product or a very large marketing budget, lets hope PSS1 targets quality.

Might the whole PSS1 thing be bad for EU customers, sure it might but as I see it the alternative (slow death of the SOE games in europe due to SOE inability and incompetence)  is worse.

PSS1 is a German media company operating solely in Germany.  How is the rest from the European playerbase, outside germany, going to profit from this?

Alaplaya is a horrible company with a very bad reputation!  PSS1 buying this up hasn't changed this the slightest.

Remember GOA? It's parent company is Orange (a huge telecom company), yet they ran first DAoC into the ground in Europe and later on they did the same with Warhammer Online!  Completely screwed that up too! Ending with EA Mythic buying back the publisher rights and moving EU players over to US servers. Just that it was ofcourse a little too late!

So a terrbile company being bought up by a Media giant doesn't automatically mean improvement!

PSS1 most likely just bought Alaplaya, just so they could sign the deal with SOE.

PSS1 has ZERO experience in running games, yet alone complex MMO systems!

Alaplaya has only experience running some crappy cheap games no one has ever heard from... and they ran it badly too! Selling people's personal info, having crappy security, etc, etc.

The funny thing is, it's the German playerbase of SOE that went into uprising first, as they know Alaplaya and PSS1 all too well.

FACT is, that if SOE continues this road and forces all European players to sign up with PSS1 to continue playing SOE games, they gonna loose a huge part of their European playerbase.

So all in all.... it's just going to end up a Lose - Lose situation for everyone!  Also for the US players, as a huge portion of the European players in EQ2 plays on US servers like Antionia Bayle (me included).  So they gonna see a significant drop in activity on those servers.

They even went as far as in the very first FAQ saying that European players would even be locked out from US servers!!  This caused the first Major Uproar in the forums with the discussion topic litterly exploding with angry and upset people! That they had to quickly come up with a new FAQ rethinking that decision and no longer put an Region lock on US servers!

I just don't understand SOE and why they can't do it like other companies like NCSoft has done.

AION in Europe is now run by Frogster, but AION North America isn't region locked, so Europeans can just create or continue using existing NCSoft accounts to play on the US AION.

SOE could learn from that!  Give people the CHOICE to either go with PSS1 or continue using SOE.

That, in the end, would be the only Win - Win situation.

They even went as far as in the very first FAQ saying that European players would even be locked out from US servers!!  This caused the first Major Uproar in the forums with the discussion topic litterly exploding with angry and upset people! That they had to quickly come up with a new FAQ rethinking that decision and no longer put an Region lock on US servers!

I just don't understand SOE and why they can't do it like other companies like NCSoft has done.

AION in Europe is now run by Frogster, but AION North America isn't region locked, so Europeans can just create or continue using existing NCSoft accounts to play on the US AION.

SOE could learn from that!  Give people the CHOICE to either go with PSS1 or continue using SOE.

We do talk about totally different things here, you do not believe that an owner can change the corporate culture of a company around, you do not believe that maybe PSS1 has plans to improve their market share in Europe and that is ok.

But you must realize that Sony deliberately sold off their European assets (that is you) to another company because they for a long time have been losing customers in Europe. Keeping the EU business with SOE would at best be good for the current EU customers that play on the US servers, it would have been the slow death of the EU playerbase.

But yes this whole deal just shows how bad the SOE business are, they have no clue about what the customers think and want, and maybe things will change under a different company and that maybe is what I am talking about because under Sonys management nothing positive will happen on the EU market. And as I wrote before I expect the rest of the publishing of SOE (or maybe the whole company) to be sold off this year, so this discussion is probably moot anyway.

Petrarch

We do talk about totally different things here, you do not believe that an owner can change the corporate culture of a company around, you do not believe that maybe PSS1 has plans to improve their market share in Europe and that is ok.

But you must realize that Sony deliberately sold off their European assets (that is you) to another company because they for a long time have been losing customers in Europe. Keeping the EU business with SOE would at best be good for the current EU customers that play on the US servers, it would have been the slow death of the EU playerbase.

But yes this whole deal just shows how bad the SOE business are, they have no clue about what the customers think and want, and maybe things will change under a different company and that maybe is what I am talking about because under Sonys management nothing positive will happen on the EU market. And as I wrote before I expect the rest of the publishing of SOE (or maybe the whole company) to be sold off this year, so this discussion is probably moot anyway.

Can be... but bottomline is it's just a bad deal for us European players.

You want to know another outrageous change?  All Access Station Pass!

Thousands of Europeans have All Access Passes, which now suddenly ended and won't renew!

As of now, Europeans are excluded from All Access Pass and now have to pay for each SOE game seperately!

This until PSS1 sometime end this year / early next year has their act together, migrated all games under their contract and offer a similar subscription package!

But as for example games like EQ1 and Vanguard are excluded in the agreement, European players are now FORCED to pay seperate subscriptions for those!

All while the rest of the world can still have significant discount with All Access Station Pass!

So the above is already a PRIME example of how it ALREADY has gotten worse for European players, before even a single game has migrated yet under PSS1 !

Cheers

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Can be... but bottomline is it's just a bad deal for us European players.

You want to know another outrageous change?  All Access Station Pass!

Thousands of Europeans have All Access Passes, which now suddenly ended and won't renew!

As of now, Europeans are excluded from All Access Pass and now have to pay for each SOE game seperately!

This until PSS1 sometime end this year / early next year has their act together, migrated all games under their contract and offer a similar subscription package!

But as for example games like EQ1 and Vanguard are excluded in the agreement, European players are now FORCED to pay seperate subscriptions for those!

All while the rest of the world can still have significant discount with All Access Station Pass!

So the above is already a PRIME example of how it ALREADY has gotten worse for European players, before even a single game has migrated yet under PSS1 !

Cheers

You really need to update your knowledge about the current situation.

EQ1: Free to play

Vanguard: Free to play from sometimes this summer

So we're not "FORCED to pay seperate subs" at all.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Netspook

You really need to update your knowledge about the current situation.

EQ1: Free to play

Vanguard: Free to play from sometimes this summer

So we're not "FORCED to pay seperate subs" at all.

EQ1 free and EQ1 subscribed are not remotely the same thing. Equating them is disingenuous at best.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    I approve of this change.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Kost

I approve of this change.

Really?

Something that doesn't affect you at all since you're Canadian, and pisses off just about every single EU gamer, at least those who play SOE games?

I guess one or more of the following is true, then:

• You're trolling

• You don't know what this is about

• For whatever reason, you actually prefer low server populations (many left because of this)

• You hate Europeans.