Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta(trial)? Blizzard was honest with Diablo 3, how about Arenanet???

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by monarc333

Can't the OP prepurchase the game, try the beta, and if he doesnt like the game, cancel his purchase? After all the game is not coming out for a couple months.

Nope. You're thinking of pre-ordering.

Pre-purchasing means you buy the game before hand. Your card is already charged before you get the box.

Not something a lot of people are keen on, but many made an exception in this case.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by monarc333

Can't the OP prepurchase the game, try the beta, and if he doesnt like the game, cancel his purchase? After all the game is not coming out for a couple months.

No.  Pre-purchase means the game is bought and the retailer will treat it as such, meaning no returns on open games, only exchanges for same.  Pre-orders can be cancelled at any time because you don't get any tangible benefits from it up front, such as using the pre-purchase code to gain beta access.  Remember, once a code is used, it's gone.  It gets tied to an account and only that account can ever use it.  The retailer can never sell that package to someone else once they've sent you the code.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

There gonna be atleast 1 beta event every month till the release of the game i garantee one close to the release will be an open beta. Imo anet is doing the best thing allowing people who prepurchased the game to paticipate in the closed beta atm, Reason is a beta is to find and report bugs so they can be fixed and give feedback so they devs can improve there game, people who have already put money on the game want to see the game succeed and will report those sed bugs and so on. This way anet can improve their game before the release or open beta, you tend to find people playing open beta just use the game as a trial to see if they like the game and instead of reporting bugs that they find they tend to decide they dont wanna buy the game because it has bugs in it despite its a beta test not the finished product. Just what ive experienced in the past with open betas.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by catplay

I will not gonna spend my money with out trying that game.

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

When it will get close to release like in case where there is less than a month till release of Diablo 3 - I am almost sure that there will be open beta or almost open beta (with dozens of thousands of keys handled out by sites like mmorpg.com , massively , tentonwarhammer ,etc ).

Then you will be able to check it out for free. Worry not.

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Kuppa

Besides the fact that there will be betas with no NDA here soon, Im almost sure a on open beta will happen closer to release. Lets be honest, they havent even announced a release date, D3 is coming out soon and they announced their open beta just now. Im sure Anet will have one once we are closer to release.

Read the latest? 27th? Beta Weekend? No NDA disclosure?

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Nadia

Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Blizzard had NDA for both StarCraft2 and WOW Cata and earlier games

StarCraft2 even made you pay for closed beta with no release date  (just like GW2)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/starcraft-ii-beta-access-included-with-preorder-6259222

That was an additional perk for purchasers of the game, but access to the closed beta for StarCraft 2 was NOT limited to pre-orders.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by halobump

Besides the fact that there will be betas with no NDA here soon, Im almost sure a on open beta will happen closer to release. Lets be honest, they havent even announced a release date, D3 is coming out soon and they announced their open beta just now. Im sure Anet will have one once we are closer to release.

?? what are you saying?

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Thanks for clearing that pre-purchase vs pre-ordering thing up. Back to work for me!

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by halobump

?? what are you saying?

OH YEAH. They haven't announced that on public yet.

Whoops. Most likely a date will be set 2-3 months from now going by SOP.

It's good, because there's enough time to have a good go at Diablo inbetween.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I think what the OP is asking...is why Anet is limiting the beta to pre-purchasers only (correct me if I'm wrong).  Why not just go ahead and open the beta to pre-orders or even to everyone?  What is their motivation for requiring you to purchase the entire game (without option of return/exchange/refund) to play on the beta weekend?

I can understand those defending Anet by citing the wealth of information out there.  But, why limit it other than securing those purchases? (i.e. Money)  They are certainly aware of the hype surrounding this game.  This open beta carrot seems like a quick money grab (something out of character for an "honest" company).

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

The game's not even out yet and still months from release. D3 is two weeks from release. Why are you entitled to try GW2 right now?

SWTOR didn't have a free trial until just what, a month ago? 3 months after the game was released? Give me a break will you? There will be hundreds of thousands of people playing this weekend. You can be sure that if the game sucks, you'll hear about it. I have a feeling though that even if only 5% of people say it sucks, you'll be on here gloating about it based on this negative thread you just made. Which company do you work for anyways? I'm sure EA is paying you to post this negative garbage lol

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

If ANET was honest, they'd GIVE everyone the game and then just ask for donations for however much the individual thought it was worth. And then they'd refuse the donation and double our donation back to us. I mean, you know, if they were really serious about being honest. Then they'd put us all on the payroll and pay us to play.

• GenreNinjaGenreNinja Member CommonPosts: 159

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

This is where I judge much people for being an ill-informed and selfish consumers.

Beta is not a trial. Period. End of story.  The MMORPG market has blurred the definition of beta, and it deserve this "you owe me a beta to try the game" attitude so much of the audience has adopted.

Tons, hell the majority, of games have been released and almost all of them offered the game for pre-order without any public beta, much less an open beta. It's not a new concept, it's not wicked, it's not evil, it's not corrup. They don't owe you a trial.

When you pre-purchase the game, you do exactly that: pre-purchase the game. And one of the perks, is access to the beta, not a trial, but the beta. Not a preview. But the beta. They need people in game, to test the limits of the game. Millions of people want in, and chances are, they aren't ready for millions of people to be in yet. So, to reward those people who are dedicated to the brand, and pre-purchase the game, they get beta access as a perk of buying the game as opposed to selecting random people who may not even be interested in getting the game. It's actually a sound decision on there part and I commend them for sticking to their guns. The only people who will be there, are people who truely want to be there, not people "on the fence" and still convinced they deserve a trial before spending their money on an unreleased game. But people who know they want to play the game, and want it to be a great game. The people who are unsure if they want to play it, they can wait for the game to be finished, so when they do judge the game, they judge it's finished product, not it's work in progress.

---

Live a life less ordinary.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by grimal

I think what the OP is asking...is why Anet is limiting the beta to pre-purchasers only (correct me if I'm wrong).  Why not just go ahead and open the beta to pre-orders or even to everyone?  What is their motivation for requiring you to purchase the entire game (without option of return/exchange/refund) to play on the beta weekend?

I can understand those defending Anet by citing the wealth of information out there.  But, why limit it other than securing those purchases?

Because this is a closed beta not an open beta. The game doesn't even have a release date, they will probably have an open beta closer to release. Its actually better that they give more options to get into the closed beta to people who really want to get into it.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

I can understand those defending Anet by citing the wealth of information out there.  But, why limit it other than securing those purchases?

Because they're a business and want to make tons of money and letting people who buy the game play in a beta before those who don't buy the game gives people incentive to buy the game now? If the game ends up being crappy, you can come back here and gloat and call us all who pre-purchased suckers but don't blame them for capitalizing on the hype for the game and how bad people want to play it.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Meleagar

If ANET was honest, they'd GIVE everyone the game and then just ask for donations for however much the individual thought it was worth. And then they'd refuse the donation and double our donation back to us. I mean, you know, if they were really serious about being honest. Then they'd put us all on the payroll and pay us to play.

wow...

All I've got to say (can say really) is Meleagar = Troll

No sense, no reason, no purpose, just pure, simple, unadulterated trolling

Originally posted by GenreNinja

Beta is not a trial. Period. End of story.  The MMORPG market has blurred the definition of beta, and it deserve this "you owe me a beta to try the game" attitude so much of the audience has adopted.

See this is where the line may be a bit blurred.  What you state is what a beta is for.  But are these "beta" weekends really for beta testing?  Or is it some marketing ploy?  Or maybe a little of each?

edit:  I've read countless posts of people being in so-called "beta" tests and any and all feedback given was ignored.  The same issues that were prevalent in these "beta"s still existed in launch.  This makes me think twice about the actual purpose of these weekends.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

since there's not going to be a fully public open beta for gw2 (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1070552&postcount=652), i will see you after launch sometime. or if you continue to want to try it before you buy it, i guess i'll never see you. how do you play any games in this demoless age?

EDIT

Originally posted by joocheese

wow...

he's not trolling, he's mocking. difference. also he's right, as is everyone saying that we've flipped our ideas about what betas should be. anet is serious. they want to put out a good game. anet is honest. this coming bwe is open, information-wise. and honestly? this is the first bwe. if they have a public beta to feed people's complaining, then it will be right before launch like every open beta.

y'know. i just had a talk with someone about entitlement the other day. i told them that no, gamers aren't entitled. we just deserve quality products. but after reading this thread, and many others like it, all i have to say is: you guys are entitled, spoiled little children. grow up.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Originally posted by joocheese

wow...

That was sarcasm, in case you didn't get it. It wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. Remember humor?

Originally posted by kanezfan

Because they're a business and want to make tons of money and letting people who buy the game play in a beta before those who don't buy the game gives people incentive to buy the game now?

My thoughts exactly.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

Originally posted by DarkPony

I hear you. Anet should put them balls on the table and let us measure them marbles! *slams rock hammer on table*

They won't have an NDA in upcoming beta's though, and despite prepurchasing guaranteeing you beta access, there should be an amount of "beta-sign-up-without-prepurchase people" as well.

So yeah, might not be YOU or ME participating in the betas but that's our own fault for not signing up for it. At least there will be plenty of folks playing it and reporting back to us here (I hope).

and then again ILOVE YOUR SIGNATURE ^_^

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by GenreNinja

See this is where the line may be a bit blurred.  What you state is what a beta is for.  But are these "beta" weekends really for beta testing?  Or is it some marketing ploy?  Or maybe a little of each?

edit:  I've read countless posts of people being in so-called "beta" tests and any and all feedback given was ignored.  The same issues that were prevalent in these "beta"s still existed in launch.  This makes me think twice about the actual purpose of these weekends.

it doesnt matter if there is a marketing ploy in it, the beta would be happening regardless of whether or not the marketing department was smart enough to try and use it to get more people aware of their game (which they have alrady done with the massive amount of videos and other content they have released to us. so yes whenever there is no nda on a beta it involves some marketing, the thing is its retarded to expect that they wouldnt use it for some bit of marketing.

the question is whether they are trying to manipulate people to their detriment if there is no detrimental affect on any of us potential consumers, then what the heck are we talking about this for? im not stupid ill watch them like i do all companys but untill they start arousing my suspicouns (bad spelling sry) whats the point? except to get all anxious and paranoid over nothing (that or try and make Anet look bad).

EDIT: as for that there is as yet no evidence of that sort of thing and all this talking is moot untill there is some evidence of it (or at the very least any evidence that Anet has done this in the past).

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

There actually was a beta for Guild Wars, I was there.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by BartDaCat

(Closed Beta) was an additional perk for purchasers of the game, but access to the closed beta for StarCraft 2 was NOT limited to pre-orders.

agree - all games do the similar things  -- there are other ways to get into Closed Beta

but StarCraft2 and other games *guaranteed* you access to closed beta if willing to preorder w no release date

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

actually it'S not even a closed beta, i think the term arenanet used was "beta event for selected participants" or sth like it.

eg, we pre-purchasers get it, and some who have been selected.

most likely they will throw out keys for the WEs once release has gotten abit closer.

you guys have never seen this before? for example in the last half douzen mmos being released? ^^

only difference is, they do NOT hand out keys for preorder, since everyone just went to game stop, spend 5 euros and had the access, even if he cancled after it.

pre purchasing gives the devs a certain ammount of incomming money they can work with, pay the people with and so on...

the idea of a pre-order was NEVER to get out beta keys for 5 euro / dollar, even tho that's what most people used it for.

it was to give people who preordered and want to play the game a small insight into what they will get.

this is NOT a preview or trial or anything like it, no matter how much some of you might rage.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

This discussion has been closed.