Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: The War Back in Warcraft

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Possibly the most exciting aspect of World Warcraft's next expansion is currently overshadowed by Pandaren Monks. War is coming back to Azeroth, and in this week's WoW Factor, we wonder how it will affect the game and whether it will be enough to draw in those who gave up on WoW long ago.

World of Warcraft may be getting old. But that doesn’t stop it from carrying the most relevance and weight in the industry, even well into its 7th year dominating the scene. It carries not only the most subscriptions, but is easily the highest selling western MMORPG of all time, and remains the most widely known game outside of our small sect of the videogame culture and fandom. So why then, as if I didn’t just state the answer, do we continue to knock it and act as though everything it has accomplished is terrible for the industry and the genre? I just can’t seem to wrap my head around this notion.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's WoW Factor: The War Back in Warcraft.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

yes! finally world pvp with awsome ganking squads with some sweet titles. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

This is the WoW I have been waiting for, The Alliance vs The Horde, as it should be.

Remember the good pvp days taking over Horde towns :)

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

This is good to hear. Been wanting more news about it. Can't wait to try it out.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

meh...pandas.  Too bad they didn't have asian humans or something.  I really don't like playing animal characters. 

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Dead for me sorry. Long since really when they got rid of the War in Warcraft in the first place. Knowing one of the main reasons they did so was because we kept breaking the servers, nearly nightly here in the EU no idea how it went in other parts of the world. I am assuming they have fixed that issue. But we did it back then for free, we didn't need titles to entice us to war.  Strange concept to some I know! Doing something for FUN or in the spirit of the game, it is WARcraft after all. They have dumbed down so many other aspects of the game, weapon skills, gathering, mount costs, not to mention extra guard spawns to prevent city raids, extra protections for flight masters, it hardly seems worth bothering with the game anymore. We didn't spend our time crying back then when someone killed our flight masters or our quest NPC's or our gate guards. We marched on their cities in retaliation. People won't do that now, they will get their titles and move on back to their BG's, dailies and their dungeons and not care about the world once more.  Even the rated battlegrounds which was the last thing I was drawn back for turned out to be a flop with resets and broken stats. Maybe they fixed that too who knows? If they implement real world pvp and that carries over into the other contested areas of the world  like it used to be I for one will be shocked. Wintergrasp had little effect in the end, I am sceptical how Pandas can achieve this. WoW has been World of Peacecraft in my mind for too many years now.  BUT I do wish it well! Maybe some of the beginning magic can wear off on newer people and they can finally understand why we enjoyed it back then.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I remember the old days in WoW with massive open world PvP battles that meant nothing... before honor, before BG's, there was not 'point' to it other than to kill your enemies and disrupt/harass their towns and cities.

It was glorious, but it also came with terrible server lag and crashes/reboots.

If they are truly bringing the WAR back into World of WARcraft, I really hope they'll put some considerable upgrades into the client, engine, and server architexture to be able to handle large scale open world PvP.

Unfortunately, their model of quest hubs runs counter to any kind of territorial control/capture in the open world.

Sacking cities/towns will be nothing but an inconvenience for questers without drastic changes to the organizational structure of the PvE content.

They have never really gotten the idea of open world capturable points right in WoW. From EPL to Halaa they just never pulled it off to the point players actually cared and tried to battle over these objectives in the open world.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Will wait and see. Played for 7 years so I'm very familiar with the game but the Panda stuff just turned me off. Still not sure how I feel about it. Monk class is very cool though. Dunno, GW2 has my attention right now and if its good will keep it. Horde vs Alliance was always where its at. Glad they are focusing on it

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I've enjoyed many years of fun, adventure and yes, even plenty of frustruation with wow. Though it wasn't my first mmo love (wow was my 3rd), it was the game I played for the longest time. I made the best of friends and even met my lovely wife on wow. Since Cata, wow and I have followed different paths to the point that I sadly believe reconciliation is now impossible (MoP).

Though I will no longer be playing wow, I wish Blizzard, wow, and the wow community the very best of luck and all the success in the gaming world. I will be returning to GW and am greatly looking forward to Anet's GW's sequel, GW2!

P.S. My first mmo love was ROSE Online (korean f2p) and my second was the original GW. I'm looking forward to returning my to GW home :-)

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

It's true - too little, too late.  Not that WoW will be going anywhere anytime soon, but I would think any sort of PvP WoW can add will be over shadowed by what GW2, Arch Age, and PS2 will be offering for those interested in PvP.  

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Love Blizzard as a company. But when i attended Blizzcon, it felt more like a disney franchise than a gaming convention. (perhaps MoP theme didnt help).that said, 

D3 does promise! and SC2 as well! i wont dismiss Blizzard anytime soon- or even WoW. but for now  my sights have expanded to more dynamic mmo's out there.

best luck to them and its community.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Blizzard has gotten good at over-promising and under-delivering. Anyone remember the "more content, faster" that was supposed to be in Cata?

Instead, we have been told repeatedly that they "don't have the resources for that" but they somehow find the resources to make a pet or mount to sell in their cash shop. Yes I know they're different development teams, fine, but which do they prioritize?

Now, for MoP, they've decided to throw the kitchen sink at it. They've added Pokemon, Harvest Moon, so-called "scenarios" that try to mimic GW2 dynamic events (except you cue for them like everything else), and of course the ever popular Pandas, supposedly based off of extensive lore yet really only coming from two sources: an NPC in a bonus campaign in WC3, and later an April Fool's joke.

Perhaps I will be wrong, and perhaps MoP will bring back to the game the things that made WoW great. But I have not yet seen anything that tells me how they are going to get people to leave their home cities and put them back in the world to create this epic PvP. I suspect that we will continue to see people sitting in Org doing LFD, LFR, LFS (or whatever they call the scenario one), cueing up for their PvP.

I think they are trying to find ANYTHING to appeal to newer, younger players who like to play simple, facebook-like games while chatting with their friends. WoW is becoming a glorified chat room.

Again, I freely admit that all this could change depending on how they plan to evolve the game. But based on what they've shown us of MoP I don't see it happening.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by monarc333

Will wait and see. Played for 7 years so I'm very familiar with the game but the Panda stuff just turned me off. Still not sure how I feel about it. Monk class is very cool though. Dunno, GW2 has my attention right now and if its good will keep it. Horde vs Alliance was always where its at. Glad they are focusing on it

Completely agree. Cancelled my sub for the first time since it has launched. Heck, even kept it while i was playing other games. Pandas just really threw me off. I really like the idea of the monk class though and enjoy those hand to hand type of classes but will have to see. My attention has been on GW2 as of late but I do miss those epic South Shore/Tarren Mill battles. As another poster stated, there was no honor points or anything involved. Just good ol' fashioned fun. Back then we knew our enemies and developed certain rivalries. At this point (or the point I quit) every has became nameless and just other characters on screen.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

I've disowned WoW since there are gonna be panada in it....just not for me

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Pandas, dude. Pandas.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by colddog04

Pandas, dude. Pandas.

I got to admit though, thinking the word Panada has got some meat to it. Gonna have to work that into a sentence today..."Holy crap, look at that Panada."

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

One step forward two steps back. Add to this also blizz is agian dumbing down the classes. Oh and the loot treadmill is back, oh and everythign you have seen post tbc. Cheer more thoughless restarting and neutering of the game sounds great.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Blizzard has gotten good at over-promising and under-delivering. Anyone remember the "more content, faster" that was supposed to be in Cata?

Instead, we have been told repeatedly that they "don't have the resources for that" but they somehow find the resources to make a pet or mount to sell in their cash shop. Yes I know they're different development teams, fine, but which do they prioritize?

Now, for MoP, they've decided to throw the kitchen sink at it. They've added Pokemon, Harvest Moon, so-called "scenarios" that try to mimic GW2 dynamic events (except you cue for them like everything else), and of course the ever popular Pandas, supposedly based off of extensive lore yet really only coming from two sources: an NPC in a bonus campaign in WC3, and later an April Fool's joke.

Perhaps I will be wrong, and perhaps MoP will bring back to the game the things that made WoW great. But I have not yet seen anything that tells me how they are going to get people to leave their home cities and put them back in the world to create this epic PvP. I suspect that we will continue to see people sitting in Org doing LFD, LFR, LFS (or whatever they call the scenario one), cueing up for their PvP.

I think they are trying to find ANYTHING to appeal to newer, younger players who like to play simple, facebook-like games while chatting with their friends. WoW is becoming a glorified chat room.

Again, I freely admit that all this could change depending on how they plan to evolve the game. But based on what they've shown us of MoP I don't see it happening.

you mean like 10 year olds? They are scraping the bottom of the barrel, pathetic.

• virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80

The title is misleading as hell. Learn to write dude.

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Editorial: The War Back in Warcraft

makes it sound like they put the war back in WOW when you actually meant something like

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Editorial: Please Put War Back in Warcraft!

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Lol sorry I left because of the incoming Panda's. Yes I'm a pandist, sorry. On to LOTRO and Panda free lute playing.

• ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

Line up for that pvp, there is a whole bunch of 12 year olds who want to be the next Kung-Fu Panda. Thats all i can think of when i see that pandaren pic.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Not fan of pandas, but wasn't one of space goats and cows, so I played other races. On top of them promising to bring back open world pvp and 'war', I like the new talent trees as well. Instead of walking into a fight knowing everything the other toon is going to do, you are going to be in the dark to some degree. Better then it is now anyways..

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Naral

Originally posted by colddog04

Pandas, dude. Pandas.

I got to admit though, thinking the word Panada has got some meat to it. Gonna have to work that into a sentence today..."Holy crap, look at that Panada."

O Panada, could be the national anthem, march of the panda monks*.

*It has been noted that the opening theme of "O Canada" bears a strong resemblance to the "March of the Priests" from the opera The Magic Flute, composed in 1791 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
  • joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by ace5572

Line up for that pvp, there is a whole bunch of 12 year olds who want to be the next Kung-Fu Panda. Thats all i can think of when i see that pandaren pic.

Yup... let the kids stay with wow, let the grown ups move to gw2

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by virindi1

makes it sound like they put the war back in WOW when you actually meant something like

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Editorial: Please Put War Back in Warcraft!

The name of the game is just the associated game with the title: "The War Back in Warcraft".  It's how our system works. We write articles, and associate them with one of 600+ games and/or expansions in our Game List.  Deal with it, muchacho.

EDIT: Additionally, don't presume to know what I mean when I write. Considering Pandaria promises to put the war back at center stage, my title stands.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by ace5572

Yup... let the kids stay with wow, let the grown ups move to gw2

Good luck with that. WoW doesn't have the market on kids playing or adults that behave like children. All games I've played and I suspect future ones will also suffer from the same problems of misbehaving and at times annoying gamers no matter what age they are.

the poster formerly known as melangel :P