Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta(trial)? Blizzard was honest with Diablo 3, how about Arenanet???

catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

I will not gonna spend my money with out trying that game.

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

ArenaNet might have an open BETA as well.

The main difference between the two situations is that ArenaNet hasn't announced a release date and Diablo 3 comes out in 3 weeks.

No one knows how much info comes out during pre-purchase betas or whether they will have an open beta.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

I think it's unrealistic to expect one before even a release date. I have no clue if they will have one or not though. For me I'll just watch my family play :P

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

ArenaNet's being honest too. They're not having a simple "open beta", instead are using the same formula as they did with Guild Wars by having Beta Weekend Events. In a nutshell, they open the game up to those who pre-purchased as well as those who registered for the betas and were selected. Then, based on observation and feedback they'll tweak things a bit until they feel the game is ready for release. The BWE's are non-NDA events, even live streaming will be allowed.

This weekend is the whole ball of wax for them. They're laying it on the line at huge risk to themselves by having this mostly a pre-purchase thing. If they fail to deliver it'll be crushing. But, if you watch the vids from the press betas it's easy to see the high level of polish on the game. It's close to being ready. Really close.

They will not disappoint. Trust me on this.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• CaponestyleCaponestyle Member UncommonPosts: 112

If anything diablo 3 drove people away not toward their game. IT wasnt even an open beta, it was a 1 mission demo. Guildars 2 does not need to rely on cheesy demos or trials like other mmos as their is no monthly fee!!. This game is going to succeed based off reviews and word of mouth , the old fasioned way

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by colddog04

The main difference between the two situations is that ArenaNet hasn't announced a release date and Diablo 3 comes out in 3 weeks.

No one knows how much info comes out during pre-purchase betas or whether they will have an open beta.

No idea where they could have got their information from... but Gamestop is selling Guild Wars 2 under the premise that it releases June 26th, 2012.

Link to Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/guild-wars-2-collectors-edition/100452

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by catplay

I've seen so many fanboys/haters comments, i really don't fallow any of them until i don't "feel" the game myself.

So will be there an open beta/trial or Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard was honest, they did open beta, they never had NDA for Diablo3, basically, they said "thats the game, play it, you like it, buy it".

Is wicked how not even GW1 didnt received any kind of trial/beta .. just because they spent money on all GW1 expansions or something.

Its not like they spent all the money on GW1 expansion and thats the only reason you didnt have the trial access, its just it was a fresh enough game to not need it, it was seven years ago and theres was no competitior around, the threw their cards, they said this is what you have, a PvP centric game with arenas, GvGs and stuff, nothing more, and there was a lot of footage around, just like there is with GW2, i dont even understand the point of your post, wanna flame arena.net or the game itself? if its that so i give you 1,5/10.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I hear you. Anet should put them balls on the table and let us measure them marbles! *slams rock hammer on table*

They won't have an NDA in upcoming beta's though, and despite prepurchasing guaranteeing you beta access, there should be an amount of "beta-sign-up-without-prepurchase people" as well.

So yeah, might not be YOU or ME participating in the betas but that's our own fault for not signing up for it. At least there will be plenty of folks playing it and reporting back to us here (I hope).

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

I seem to have fond memories of Gwen exploding at the end of a beta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYEnsewoPM

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by BartDaCat

Originally posted by colddog04

No idea where they could have got their information from... but Gamestop is selling Guild Wars 2 under the premise that it releases June 26th, 2012.

Link to Gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/guild-wars-2-collectors-edition/100452

There is no release date. They made it up. Probably to help induce pre-purchases from their store.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#three

When is Guild Wars 2 going to be released?

We expect to ship Guild Wars 2 in 2012. The final release date will be determined by beta-testing feedback.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Everything about GW2 is out there in the open, ANet is not hiding anything, unlike the greedy Blizzard and others. Do some research, ArenaNet is about the most honest developper out there right now.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

I tried to read this shit but damn man. When you want to be heard it's recommend to show up with your shirt tucked in and your shoes tied. 

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Honesty, hmm?  Like when they said that the RMT shop was implemented to protect players from the nasty gold farmers?  That kind of honesty?

You're right.  ArenaNet is hiding everything from you.  In fact, everyone who's prepurchased the game will be in for a big suprise when they learn that GW2 doesn't actually exist.  It was a gigantic hoax devised by NC Soft and the Gnomes of Zurich.  All that artwork, the gameplay videos, the interviews, the manifesto, the blogs, the media weekends -- all of it a lie.  All of it manufactured to part innocent gamers from their lunch money.

Stay away from GW2.  Stay far away. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

just saying : http://de.guildwars.com/freetrial/

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

What can you do... haters will be haters. Once GW2 releases he'll prob be playing it :-)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Huh?

I'm not sure I fully understand the OP. I think what you're saying is if GW2 doesn't have an open beta they are somehow being dishonest or something? You also mention GW1, and I'm not sure if you are trying to say GW1 didn't have an open beta, or you somehow feel that GW1 players should automatically get to try GW2 before it comes out.

First up, nothing I've experienced shows me that Anet is being dishonest. I've played the game, it is available to the public, just in limited increments. I don't know if they will have an open beta. With GW1 they had the beta weekend events (which is basically what we are starting to do now, but the are for pre-purchasers only). They may have a few more public beta events before launch. Also keep in mind that if you haven't already, SIGN UP for beta. You can still do it! And they have let people into beta who haven't pre-purchasers.

I've played GW2, and I've played Diablo III. I can honestly say that there is more playable in GW2 than there is in D3 (though it's impossible to say what percentage of each game we are currently playing). Both games show exactly what they are about, and both have all major aspects of them playable.

- I'll say this again, (I really hate repeating myself) because this is important. Do not base your opinion of any game off of people bitching on forums. Here-say is usually the least reliable / most subjective way to get a reliable impression of anything. There is a ton of info on this game that you can go see for yourself. If the 100s of youtube vids aren't enough (most of which are made by people actually playing the game), then there will be some livestreams of the BWE I suggest you partake in.

Thread of livestreamers for the next Beta Weekend Event

There you can talk directly to someone playing the game, while they are playing. Ask what you want, and get an immediate response. If you don't end up getting in beta, this'll be the next best thing for you.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Arenanet want to hide something from potential players just to get their money like they did with pre-purchasing the game with out playing?

Blizzard had NDA for both StarCraft2 and WOW Cata and earlier games

StarCraft2 even made you pay for closed beta with no release date  (just like GW2)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/starcraft-ii-beta-access-included-with-preorder-6259222

you are making wild assumptions, anything to demonize the game

during E3 2004, a beta game was available --  a full year before launch of GW1

http://web.archive.org/web/20061030194825/http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/pressrelease-2004-04-19.php

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by aesperus
    Huh?
    I'm not sure I fully understand the OP. I think what you're saying is if GW2 doesn't have an open beta they are somehow being dishonest or something? You also mention GW1, and I'm not sure if you are trying to say GW1 didn't have an open beta, or you somehow feel that GW1 players should automatically get to try GW2 before it comes out.
    First up, nothing I've experienced shows me that Anet is being dishonest. I've played the game, it is available to the public, just in limited increments. I don't know if they will have an open beta. With GW1 they had the beta weekend events (which is basically what we are starting to do now, but the are for pre-purchasers only). They may have a few more public beta events before launch. Also keep in mind that if you haven't already, SIGN UP for beta. You can still do it! And they have let people into beta who haven't pre-purchasers.
    I've played GW2, and I've played Diablo III. I can honestly say that there is more playable in GW2 than there is in D3 (though it's impossible to say what percentage of each game we are currently playing). Both games show exactly what they are about, and both have all major aspects of them playable.
    - I'll say this again, (I really hate repeating myself) because this is important. Do not base your opinion of any game off of people bitching on forums. Here-say is usually the least reliable / most subjective way to get a reliable impression of anything. There is a ton of info on this game that you can go see for yourself. If the 100s of youtube vids aren't enough (most of which are made by people actually playing the game), then there will be some livestreams of the BWE I suggest you partake in.
    Thread of livestreamers for the next Beta Weekend Event
    There you can talk directly to someone playing the game, while they are playing. Ask what you want, and get an immediate response. If you don't end up getting in beta, this'll be the next best thing for you.

I dont want livestreams, youtube movies, pics and others opinions.

Can i try the game with out buying ? I ask to much?

Again, maybe you don't understand English very good:
    I want to try the game myself before i take the decision to buy or not.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Guild Wars 2 may or may not have a full open beta for people who have not purchased or pre-ordered the game.

Blizzard allowed open beta only what, 3 weeks before launch?

Since we have no idea when GW2 is launching it is impossible to know if they are going to do a full open beta or not.

The upcoming beta weekends are still CLOSED beta's for pre-purchasers and a lucky few selected participants.

They just happen to not have an NDA.

No one can answer your question yet - it is possible they will have a full / completely open beta, we just don't know yet.

Be patient if you want to try before you buy, you may get the chance, you may not.

• kurtbarlowkurtbarlow Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by aesperus

Then get a beta key, go to gaming conventions, wait for trial or wait for open beta.

But please, don't start pointless threads with your ranting.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Besides the fact that there will be betas with no NDA here soon, Im almost sure a on open beta will happen closer to release. Lets be honest, they havent even announced a release date, D3 is coming out soon and they announced their open beta just now. Im sure Anet will have one once we are closer to release.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by BadSpock

Blizzard allowed open beta (to Diablo3) only what, 3 weeks before launch?

well said

there's no release date for GW2 yet

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Can't the OP prepurchase the game, try the beta, and if he doesnt like the game, cancel his purchase? After all the game is not coming out for a couple months.

• catplaycatplay Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by monarc333
    Can't the OP prepurchase the game, try the beta, and if he doesnt like the game, cancel his purchase? After all the game is not coming out for a couple months.

you actually read what i said?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by monarc333

you actually read what i said?

Have you read anything of what we have been saying? image

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

diablo had a beta??? showing a crappy little part which includes only act1 in a shitty normal mode only is not beta. It is demo. I dont call this being honest... If you cannot see this through i am sorry for you.

Anet did everything they promised, and showed every content they finished, you are still compraing two games while one of it is close to launch and the other one still in beta far from launch. At least Anet is not releasing an unfinished game early like Blizzard (without pvp) to upset old fans even further.

I can not believe how people can still tolerate blizzard's dishonest actions.

This discussion has been closed.