Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Thinking of trying Eve out again....

bestman22bestman22 live oak, FLPosts: 90Member

Just not sure if I want to come back in as my old char (couldnt get into game really... first corp I stayed in till it pretty much folded then after that I quit a while, came back joined a new corp and couldnt get in with the people... was more like robots than people... did that like 4 times over the past few years and  as of last free weekend they offered me my char has like 6million SP and been in scope like 3 years...

That char as of now can fly a covetor, has ability to fly a raven but need to up combat skills, can use t2 drones, can fly gallente BS's but again gunnery skills weak as hell.... (in all honesty when I flew my gallente I flew them with all t2 drones and just used a tank and salvagers/tractors on my old myrmidon) My drake actually had a very good passive tank and missles always hit so loved missle boats.

That being said last time I was in game I lost my drake with no insurance and mistakenly bought a gallente battleship (level 3 missions suck in that thing barely scratch barely scratch barely scratch... the drones do better damage so got discouraged and didnt resub like I was originally planning)

Now that SWTOR isnt the game I am looking for, Pirates of the Burning Sea is just too deserted and limiting, SWG is gone,  I am back to thinking of EVE.  My biggest complaint with eve has always been that you have no real "control" over your ship... activate you tanking items, activate your weapons... set an orbit or keep distance and go afk.

If I start over I would be more focused than all over the board like I am now with current character, but if I did existing char I could prolly sell that crappy battleship and get another drake or something.  I am honestly dead set against Gallente now as I dont care for the hybrid guns at all after that battleship. Was thinking of going Caldari for missles, (but the non missles appear to be all hybrid weap bonus'd so not sure) or Amarr, or possibly Minmatar.  From what I understand missles arent as good for pvp which I am wanting to actually get into this time as i was entierely pve previously.

I guess you can tell I am still confused and just looking for some advice.   I am also interested in learning more about exploration (last time  I really played wasnt a possibility that I knew of)

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck the valley, CAPosts: 1,269Member

I would definitely keep that original character and build from that, unless you just want a completely clean slate.  You can always reactivate the account and create another character using one of the other slots.  There are advantages to having an old character sometimes, regardless of skillpoints.  You might scare a few newer people away in pvp :P

I had a similar route to the game.  I started, played for a bit, but got bored.  Did that several times then finally a few years ago I decided I was going to get serious.  I joined Eve University and the rest was history.  I recommend looking into that corp upon returning.  Some cool people there that will teach about the game.  You get free t1 ships mostly, many free skillbooks, classes, community, a shit ton of info, get friends/contacts in game.  I think I was pvping literally the night I joined.  I got smartbombed by a gate camper in low sec, but I still remember it!  Can pretty much learn about anything you want, exploration, pvp, missioning, wormholes, anything.  HOWEVER, you will need to go elsewhere for 0.0 life and of course the shadier stuff.  Learn about the game and have fun while doing it.  Stay for a little bit then set off to vast reaches of space.  Eve University.

As far as exploration, first thing I would do in game is get the hang of scanning and probing if you don't have it down already.  There are some nice youtube tutorials on it.  In my experience, most of the decent rewards for exploration come from wormholes and 0.0, but high sec is good place to get the hang of finding stuff.  For race, just pick what you like to fly to be honest.  Ships/weapons are always getting nerfed and buffed. 

• GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,860Member Uncommon

Originally posted by bestman22My biggest complaint with eve has always been that you have no real "control" over your ship... activate you tanking items, activate your weapons... set an orbit or keep distance and go afk.

How about not over tanking your mission ship or just quit missions completely?

• s1fu71s1fu71 fair oaks, CAPosts: 220Member

I would keep the character. 

You mention exploration. That's one of the career paths I recently took up. I think it's great.

Maybe read up on exploration. Consider what you want to do with that path. What type of sigs do you want to search for?

From that, check out Battle Clinic and take a look at some of the load outs that people are using for the ship you want to run.

The ISK I make is "hit or miss." But, I find it far more fun than mission running.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• bestman22bestman22 live oak, FLPosts: 90Member

I just resubbed this morning before I left for work... mechanic level 5 has 10 hours left to complete so letting that go while I am at work, once I get home will look for those new career path tutorial missions I read about on eveuni wiki...

I have watched a few videos on the how to part of exploration, but dont know what scanning would be better to try...since I can mine decently, I might try the one to do with mining and the one that is salvaging/archy to start out, I just dont know yet.  I am going to have to try it out in .5 and higher at first then as I learn and such might go to .4 and lower, I just dont know yet.  My eventual goal is to earn enough to make the game FTP essentially, but thats a bit off I suppose... I could get a raven again and do level 4 missions once I get faction up to unlock one in highsec in the mean time I suppose.

Couple of exploration questions... what are entailed in wormholes? what type of ship would you need for doing those?

Jolea is my chars name in game if you have say any mails with information or such that could help.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

PS why would I undertank my mission ship.... yeah more boring that way but better than running away a lot because you cant handle the spawn.

• BanquettoBanquetto CityPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon
    I recently resigned in a similar situation - 6m skillpoints, hadn't played for a couple of years, didn't know where I was or what I wanted to do.

Definitely keep your character, but feel free to "start fresh" flying frigates again. Once you feel back on top of it you'll be glad you have all those skills to move on with.
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas New Westminster, BCPosts: 468Member

Originally posted by bestman22

I just resubbed this morning before I left for work... mechanic level 5 has 10 hours left to complete so letting that go while I am at work, once I get home will look for those new career path tutorial missions I read about on eveuni wiki...

I have watched a few videos on the how to part of exploration, but dont know what scanning would be better to try...since I can mine decently, I might try the one to do with mining and the one that is salvaging/archy to start out, I just dont know yet.  I am going to have to try it out in .5 and higher at first then as I learn and such might go to .4 and lower, I just dont know yet.  My eventual goal is to earn enough to make the game FTP essentially, but thats a bit off I suppose... I could get a raven again and do level 4 missions once I get faction up to unlock one in highsec in the mean time I suppose. 

Couple of exploration questions... what are entailed in wormholes? what type of ship would you need for doing those? 

Jolea is my chars name in game if you have say any mails with information or such that could help. 

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. 

PS why would I undertank my mission ship.... yeah more boring that way but better than running away a lot because you cant handle the spawn.

Oh boy, where to start...

Scanning down sites can be good, but keep in mind: you won't get sites with really valuable loot unless you go into low/nullsec (you can find sites in null with tech II salvage, but then the problem is getting it to a market hub without getting fried :) ) Mining sites in 0.5 and higher are half-decent mining sites...for 0.5 and higher. You may find ore in them one, maybe two tiers above the best that you can find in Hisec, but that's it. You will never find the ultra rare set of ores (i.e. Nullsec-only level) in a hisec mining site, and you still have to go through the grind of mining them. Finally, hisec mining sites also have belt rats, and they are tougher than standard belt rats found at that system's security level, so be ready.

Wormholes are another matter entirely. Only the really low level wormhole systems can be soloed to any kind of efficiency. Couple of things to keep in mind:

-Once you are in a wormhole system, make sure you bookmark the exit wormhole and carry a probe launcher and probes on your ship. If you don't bookmark it, or the WH collapes, you're stuck there unless you can probe down another WH exit.

-Unlike normal systems, asteroid belts are NOT automatically found the instant you enter the system. The only asteroids ever found in a wormhole system are those found in sites through exploration, so unless you're going in there purely to set up planet mines the only way you'll be able to get ANY money out of it is to explore for sites.

-Wormhole sites are almost never unguarded, Sleepers hit bloody fucking hard and they can use EWAR and remote reps. They also don't give bounties.

-Probably the most standard way that money is made out of Wormhole systems is to raid combat sites. Sometimes these sites will include archaeology/hacking/salvaging containers, but often all you'll get is a pack of Sleepers. Kill the sleepers, loot their wrecks for their very unique sleeper salvage (essential in building T3 ships), and loot the archaeology/hacking/salvaging containers if they exist, then move on to the next.

As you can see, doing a wormhole and making money off of it takes a combination of exploration/scanning, combat and salvaging for the most part. Fitting one ship to do all this will make it a bit of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none, and can be risky. A Marauder like a Golem is well suited to this multi-faceted role, but also remember that a Marauder also costs usually over a billion. There is one final aspect of Wormholes that is probably the most important to mention:

-Unlike normal systems, the list of players in the system does NOT by default appear in the Local chat channel unless they decide to say something in that channel, so if they keep quiet you'll have absolutely no idea that someone else is in there with you unless you scan for them. On top of that, Wormholes have the same security status as Nullsec, so they can kill you without any repercussions. And if they happen to find you in a tasty billion-plus ISK marauder alone you can bet your ass they will come in and fry you for the epic killmail and tears.

Long story short, Wormholes are not really meant to be done solo, so do at your own risk.

Finally, for the "under-tanking", if you super-tank so that you can afk a mission that means that you have definitely sacrificed some module slots that could be used to increase your damage output for tanking modules. If you moderate your tank to just enough to handle the mission and then beef up your damage output so that you can burn through it faster, you effectively increase your income rate. This is better to do.

Where's the any key?

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

I think Eve + DUST should be close to perfect: Eve offers the 'big picture' long-term strategy and planning, DUST will offer  fast-twitch combat.

However, I think this will be a considerable time-sink to be any good.

We are talking about periods lasting longer than 'reaching home to dinner time'.

I think your favourate 'MMORPG' should always be real life!

• StoprunningStoprunning none, LAPosts: 9Member Common

I created an account in 2004, but quit shortly there after and played another mmo, because some friends didn't like the steep learning curve.

I'm really glad I came back, my chars had money and a bunch of skill points. Plus, the new mission chains give you a lot of ships. It's far beter now.

• HrothaHrotha -Posts: 821Member

Just not sure if I want to come back in as my old char (couldnt get into game really... first corp I stayed in till it pretty much folded then after that I quit a while, came back joined a new corp and couldnt get in with the people... was more like robots than people... did that like 4 times over the past few years and  as of last free weekend they offered me my char has like 6million SP and been in scope like 3 years...

That char as of now can fly a covetor, has ability to fly a raven but need to up combat skills, can use t2 drones, can fly gallente BS's but again gunnery skills weak as hell.... (in all honesty when I flew my gallente I flew them with all t2 drones and just used a tank and salvagers/tractors on my old myrmidon) My drake actually had a very good passive tank and missles always hit so loved missle boats.

That being said last time I was in game I lost my drake with no insurance and mistakenly bought a gallente battleship (level 3 missions suck in that thing barely scratch barely scratch barely scratch... the drones do better damage so got discouraged and didnt resub like I was originally planning)

Now that SWTOR isnt the game I am looking for, Pirates of the Burning Sea is just too deserted and limiting, SWG is gone,  I am back to thinking of EVE.  My biggest complaint with eve has always been that you have no real "control" over your ship... activate you tanking items, activate your weapons... set an orbit or keep distance and go afk.

If I start over I would be more focused than all over the board like I am now with current character, but if I did existing char I could prolly sell that crappy battleship and get another drake or something.  I am honestly dead set against Gallente now as I dont care for the hybrid guns at all after that battleship. Was thinking of going Caldari for missles, (but the non missles appear to be all hybrid weap bonus'd so not sure) or Amarr, or possibly Minmatar.  From what I understand missles arent as good for pvp which I am wanting to actually get into this time as i was entierely pve previously.

I guess you can tell I am still confused and just looking for some advice.   I am also interested in learning more about exploration (last time  I really played wasnt a possibility that I knew of)

I'm just giving you my experience and while talking to friends of mine also their experience about 'coming back to a game, especially a MMO':

Dont do it.

It is simply because you seek something, that you will not find (anymore) in this game. Games are ment for making experiences and -this fact is not sad, it is pure reality- the initial experiences in everything you do are the most emotional. Meaning, you will never have them again. For a good reason. This is ment to carry on and seek new experiences and keeping an open mind.

If you dont follow this natural rule and stick with experiences you have made in your past you could - no you will - get dragged down in a circle that is not healthy for you.

Basicly you will space out into nostalgia and this is never a good thing. Prejudices against everything new will build up inside yourself and automatically will reject everything new. Ontop of that your inner feelings will start to tell you, that new things will be bad for you.

And to rewind this process, getting out of it requires effort. Better you keep yourself an open mind and go from new experience to new experience than you will stick to old things 'you once loved'.

But I know in the most cases people dont listen, people have to make their own experiences. So go do make your own. Its also important.

I am just telling you (and all other viewers) where I have been. And this comes not only down to Gaming - this is a general pattern in life!

Much love.

• DrannyDranny BarnsleyPosts: 276Member Uncommon

Hi, you could try and apply to EvE Uni they will teach you different parts of the game and run classes which you can choose to attend. they are very very noob friendly and very very helpful. But thats just my opinion other may not agree.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Applying_to_EVE_University

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

Originally posted by 4bsolute

I'm just giving you my experience and while talking to friends of mine also their experience about 'coming back to a game, especially a MMO':

Dont do it.

It is simply because you seek something, that you will not find (anymore) in this game. Games are ment for making experiences and -this fact is not sad, it is pure reality- the initial experiences in everything you do are the most emotional. Meaning, you will never have them again. For a good reason. This is ment to carry on and seek new experiences and keeping an open mind.

If you dont follow this natural rule and stick with experiences you have made in your past you could - no you will - get dragged down in a circle that is not healthy for you.

Basicly you will space out into nostalgia and this is never a good thing. Prejudices against everything new will build up inside yourself and automatically will reject everything new. Ontop of that your inner feelings will start to tell you, that new things will be bad for you.

And to rewind this process, getting out of it requires effort. Better you keep yourself an open mind and go from new experience to new experience than you will stick to old things 'you once loved'.

But I know in the most cases people dont listen, people have to make their own experiences. So go do make your own. Its also important.

I am just telling you (and all other viewers) where I have been. And this comes not only down to Gaming - this is a general pattern in life!

Much love.

I don't agree with you.

For example, WoW is quite a difficult game to beat.

Other MMORPGs look quite tacky by comparison.

If I followed your advice, it would be extremely expensive - imagine trying 10 games: 10 x £40 = £400 !

If you get tired of games like WoW / Eve, my advice would be to quit MMORPGs all together because games like this are the best examples of MMORPGs.