Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frogster started censoring Tera, players are not happy! Sign petition!

NokiliNokili Member Posts: 1

Hello, as some of you might already know Frogster has started censoring Tera so it can fit Pegi 12.

Their first move is removing blood and as you might guess players are not happy.

We started petition so that they return blood into the game.

Please help us by signing it!

You can find link if you follow this link to their official forums: https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=64390&p=1342648#post1342648

Comments

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182

first world problems

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Yeah I would say censorship is a first world problem... and I think it should be seen as a negative thing since all it does is let grown ups act like children about words and visual themes while thinking they are protecting someone.

Good luck with the petition, I hope it does change something, I certainly wouldnt buy this game if they did that kind of change as I prefer to play games with mature visual themes, definitely dont want to play a game that is obviously limiting my experience to what in their eyes will allow them to make a better profit, cant blame them as they are a company... but I also dont have to pay them.

I cant say I never play games that do this but I'm already between "hhmmm yes...no....yes" on buying this game.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I don't understand why they don't just have Bluehole add parental controls to the game, with an option to turn the blood off. Seems like that would be the most logical way of handling the situation. People who want blood get it, and people who don't want it for themselves or their kids can remove it. Everybody's happy with that solution!

Then again, that would require logic on the part of the publishers & censors, and involvement on the part of the parents, neither of which is reasonable to expect in this day and age.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

I don't think you understand what censorship is. This isn't a government forcing them to change their content, Frogster made that decision themselves to enlarge their market. You can argue that the ratings board is a government agency, but its sole reason for existence is to accurately describe content so parents can make informed purchasing decisions and keep more adult content out of the hands of children. They can't force Frogster to change anything, they can't prevent Frogster from bringing a product to market; all they can do is label it.

This is all about money, and Frogster determined that the sales lost from reducing blood, nudity, or whatever they're removing will be eclipsed by the number of sales they gain from a larger pool of potential customers. It's not a conspiracy or totalitarianism, it's just plain old business.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I am not a fan of Frogster what so ever ,i actually despise them however...

This has mixed reactions,although i know Frogster's ONLY concern is to reach a wider audience to make more money,i personally have no problem with them making a game that allows a younger audience,afterall it is gaming not a strip club.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Voluntarily scaling back potentially offensive graphics on your own products in order to get a game rated as being less offensive is not censorship.  They could have left the blood in and just got a different rating.  Censorship is when the government comes in and says, you can't do that at all.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

Verb

censor

(transitive) To remove objectionable content

I guess when they censored the Elin race, it wasn't removing objectionable content. I guess when they changed the hell out of SNES - PS1 era games it wasn't censorship. I'll do you the favor of saving you guys $60 and tell you the game is bad anyways, just tell them you boycotted the game for censorship of Elin and blood. Wait a few weeks and see all the bad player reviews of the game.

EU regions have had huge problems involving games with blood. With many not coming out or being heavily censored, yes censored.

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Jenuviel

I don't think you understand what censorship is. This isn't a government forcing them to change their content, Frogster made that decision themselves to enlarge their market. You can argue that the ratings board is a government agency, but its sole reason for existence is to accurately describe content so parents can make informed purchasing decisions and keep more adult content out of the hands of children. They can't force Frogster to change anything, they can't prevent Frogster from bringing a product to market; all they can do is label it.

This is all about money, and Frogster determined that the sales lost from reducing blood, nudity, or whatever they're removing will be eclipsed by the number of sales they gain from a larger pool of potential customers. It's not a conspiracy or totalitarianism, it's just plain old business.

As someone else already pointed out in this thread it seems that you are the one who has a misguided concept of what censorship means.

Also after reading your additional input on the subject in contrast of what I wrote, I really doubt you read my original post.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Meanwhile in Ethiopia ....

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

There's blood in Tera? I was distracted by all the side-boobage. That is totally age appropriate for +12 year olds BTW.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by Starpower

No one cares. What's funny are people who decry this kinda stuff as if it is a 'first world problem' and then turn around and spend $15 a month for an MMORPG, $500 to upgrade your computer, $50 for a new game, or any amount of money on countless other things that people in a first world country have the benefit of purchasing. You all are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites, which is far worse than people who simply don't care about what's going on in 'enter random 3rd world country'.

Originally posted by ice-vortex

No one cares. What's funny are people who decry this kinda stuff as if it is a 'first world problem' and then turn around and spend $15 a month for an MMORPG, $500 to upgrade your computer, $50 for a new game, or any amount of money on countless other things that people in a first world country have the benefit of purchasing. You all are nothing but a bunch of hypocrites, which is far worse than people who simply don't care about what's going on in 'enter random 3rd world country'.

Meanwhile in Syria...

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

This is an interesting attitude.

"We dont solve this problem because somebody at the other end of the planet has a bigger problem"

So can you actually help that guy at the other end of the planet ?

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by wilberg

first world problems

Every time an idiot makes this "witty" little comment, I have to ask why that idiot is on a gaming board, or any forum board at all, instead of taking his Captain Save-a-Ho ass out and fixing those "other" problems?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by Adamantine

"We dont solve this problem because somebody at the other end of the planet has a bigger problem"

It's meant to put things into context. For instance to provoke the thought. "is this really a problem?" Obviously he thinks it is but is it really? Maybe people do need to put their life into perspective before complaining about inconsequential things like blood in a video game.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Linked thread is now dead btw, incase anybody was interested.  Would have been nice to sign the petition but it seems to have been removed.

It's meant to put things into context. For instance to provoke the thought. "is this really a problem?" Obviously he thinks it is but is it really?

The context is this is a gaming forum, thus it's meant for game related "issues" and "problems".

Save the Earth forums are that way. ---->.

The only people that use the "first world problems" schtick are those who have no real argument, or anything of any real value to say pertaining to the thread.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

It's meant to put things into context. For instance to provoke the thought. "is this really a problem?" Obviously he thinks it is but is it really?

The context is this is a gaming forum, thus it's meant for game related "issues" and "problems".

Kids and their spoiled lives. You have no real problems if blood in a game is your complaint of the month

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

So the inanely awesome boob physics and the half naked female armors are ok, but not blood?

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

Kids and their spoiled lives

Says the guy writing on a gaming forum when there's so many more important "world problems" he should be fixing, aye?

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

Well can we fix THIS problem and get the damn original thread back?  Seems to have been removed over on the TERA forums, but for what reason, I don't know.  I hope it's not a case of Mods not liking people giving their opinions about the game, therefore they remove them.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Not seeing any "censorship" here.

Frogster wants to be allowed to sell games to 12yo. In Europe apparently if you try to sell a game to a 12yo it cannot have excessive blood and gore. So Frogster is WILLINGLY taking the excessive blood out. They don't HAVE TO. NOONE is forcing them to. If they REALLY wanted to keep blood in they would change who they are targeting the game for. Simple.

No censorship here folks. Just greed.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by bartoni33

Frogster wants to be allowed to sell games to 12yo. In Europe apparently if you try to sell a game to a 12yo it cannot have excessive blood and gore. So Frogster is WILLINGLY taking the excessive blood out. They don't HAVE TO. NOONE is forcing them to. If they REALLY wanted to keep blood in they would change who they are targeting the game for. Simple.

Self censorship is still censorship. Apparently, people think something is censorship only if a government does it, which is wrong.

Blizzard is a prime example. They self censored WoW so they could sell it in China. China didn't enforce the censorship, Blizzard had the choice of sticking to their game design and telling China to get screwed. Blizzard made the choice to censor their own game out of greed, as you say, but it was still SELF censorship.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Self censorship is still censorship. Apparently, people think something is censorship only if a government does it, which is wrong.

But why the raging?

It was their decision. For monetary gain. I always hear people defending companies for "just wanting to make a profit". This is what they are doing. You cannot be aganist this can you?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

But why the raging?

It was their decision. For monetary gain. I always hear people defending companies for "just wanting to make a profit". This is what they are doing. You cannot be aganist this can you?

I'm not "against" anything, they want to dilute their game for profit, it's their choice. My only gripe was people trying to pretend one form of censorship is valid and another is not, when it's all censorship regardless.