Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.2 dread masters - the SWTOR design team is terrible

It was a quest line on Belsavis. Dread masters were a dangerous looking team of fear-inspiring sith. They looked like this:

http://imageshack.us/f/72/dreadmasters.jpg/

In 1.2, among other disasters, they redesigned them to look like... power rangers baddies?

Current swtor design team is so fail.

They are so bad that they're even botching up old content.

Comments

• All high level inquisitor outfits look like crap.  Now and then.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

You know why they do it? Because they think people must be able to recognise the tier set from a mile away. This is what has lead to silly shoulders and silly head pieces in MMO games.

I really wish they would wisen up and stop insisting on a concept which importance is pretty minor, while taking such a huge hit to aesthetics.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

How do they go to the bathroom with all that stuff on?

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

You are just figuring this out now? SWTOR is being run by a few people that dont seem to know much of anything about MMOs let alone RPGs...so many great ideas being implimented in the worst ways..and important features being passed up for things that add next to nothing at all to the massive blackhole of missing content this game has.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I think my favorite part of the video is the dialogue animations.  Same ones used over and over in every single cutscene from the start to the end of the game.

Wavy Hands? GO NOW.

Half step forward, one hand out? GO NOW.

Aaaand repeat. Everyone.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

I guess Lucas finally lost it (Kinnect anyone...) ;)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm not that much of a fan but i have to ask, uhm is this canon?

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323

MY EYES!  Seriously, are they deliberately trolling their own game now?

• yumpinyiminiyumpinyimini Member UncommonPosts: 81

HAHAHA!  Jeez...these Dread Masters look like a bunch of walking hood ornaments.  I guess all their artists are around 10 years old?

C'mon Bioware you can do a lot better than this.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Holy cow ... This is depressingly bad. And this whole force choke meme is really starting to get old. Die, Star Wars, please die already.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by itgrowls

I'm not that much of a fan but i have to ask, uhm is this canon?

the overarching storyline of TOR is canon, scary as it sounds.  So Revan actually lived for centuries, there was some mysterious "Sith Emperor" that sorta ruins canon.  (Would the later Jedi order really be that surprised that a Sith Lord was playing his hand at galactic politics?)

So it wouldn't surprise me.  The SW canon has really started to become a rather worthless canon.  Just look at their latest series of novels and "Abeloth", a character invented that is barely comprehensible.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Originally posted by Barbarbar

You know why they do it? Because they think people must be able to recognise the tier set from a mile away. This is what has lead to silly shoulders and silly head pieces in MMO games.

I really wish they would wisen up and stop insisting on a concept which importance is pretty minor, while taking such a huge hit to aesthetics.

I Blame Team Fortress 2 and all the FPS / PvP players.  They are the ones that insisted that easy identifiable models per roles are needed for PvP.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

My god... That's bad. I think you just cemented my decision to cancel resub and stick with Aion or Rift. Is that seriously not a photoshopped joke? lol I really need to quit SWTOR before I get that far and have to see it in person.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Which is one of the MANY reasons Star Wars will never work as a progression gear grind or at least in the traditional EQ, WOW clone style. If they were going that route they should have done something like raiments with underlays, a concept that was mentioned many times in their official forums before beta testing. They chose to bow to larger EQ and WOW raiding guilds who just want carbon copies of what they are used to, so they will feel important,  and made a travesty of a game, because the WOW setting does not work for every game setting. Adding more features doesn't meant squat if you are just adding WOW features. What you added mailboxes to Star Wars thats nice, how about SPACE TRAVEL, how about that. What you say their are new tiered shoulder pads, oh ok I guess thats better than Building my own droid, NOT.  I Cannot build my own lightsaber but I can get lightsaber phat loot drops off of dead animals and the color is set to bright pink, and what, you say other classes will use the lightsaber from time to time. 

This game is a developmental nightmare failure from the ground up.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Konfess

I Blame Team Fortress 2 and all the FPS / PvP players.  They are the ones that insisted that easy identifiable models per roles are needed for PvP.

You blame very wrong people.

"Raiders" are ones that want each new tier have bigger shoulderpads and helmets so people can spot them from mile away when they hop on the mailbox.

PvPers pretty much dont care for that kind of thingie, doesnt matter much with full loot and stuff ;)

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by mikahr

Originally posted by Konfess

You blame very wrong people.

"Raiders" are ones that want each new tier have bigger shoulderpads and helmets so people can spot them from mile away when they hop on the mailbox.

PvPers pretty much dont care for that kind of thingie, doesnt matter much with full loot and stuff ;)

i consider myself to be a pvp-focussed mmo gamer. i've heard a lot of pvp'ers complain about games having appearance sets for the reason they wouldn't be able to tell what they are.

me, i think that argument is, in the words of a pair of prophets, bogus.

it shouldn't matter. the more uncertainty thrown into the mix, the more you get challenged. and the more you get challenged, the better the game. as such, i'm a big one for appearance customization. i like everyone looking different.

having said that, i did like swtor's way of dealing with things, by letting you simply upgrade your armour. that's really a good thing about swtor. having said that, there's wasn't a good piece of armour from level 10, so i pretty much used the first one i ever got because it was the only thing that suited my toon. everything else looked stupid.

as with a lot of things with poor swtor, it was a great idea poorly executed.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Why... Just why would they change them?

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m2d6f04f9#/watch?v=UaHPE3Gs4Tc

Previously they looked like demons out of hellraiser. Real twisted creatures who inspired terror. Now they look like a cross between a hood orniment and a heroic statue. Why would they change intresting and diverse charecter design into this generic crud. A junior high kid doodlling would come up with better, and what they had wasn't half bad.
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Bear in mind that Bioware outsources a lot of its artwork and design. So it's more than likely the new Dread Lords' new hats were put together by some eLancer in Bangalore who's never even heard of Star Wars.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by noncley

Bear in mind that Bioware outsources a lot of its artwork and design. So it's more than likely the new Dread Lords' new hats were put together by some eLancer in Bangalore who's never even heard of Star Wars.

I think the artwork and designs were out-sourced to her -

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I agree the sets are horrid for SWTOR, I really didn't dig my BM gear at all. I felt like I was walking around looking like a chicken in a shaggy skirt. WoW have had some ugly sets too though. I remember several sets with antlers I had to wear, ugh..

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by noncley

But someone at Bioware would have approved it.  They make the final call on what goes into the game.

• vickter420vickter420 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I remember doing that quest so long ago and most of my time playing the game I made smart ass responses but when I got to them I remember saying to a friend who leveled with me "okay I'm not going to mess with these guys" we had a good laugh but if they had looked like this I would of been more then inclined to give them a typical response and would of been laughing at their helms for sure. Why fix stuff that isnt broken is my only arguement? 

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Greyhooff

It was a quest line on Belsavis. Dread masters were a dangerous looking team of fear-inspiring sith. They looked like this:

http://imageshack.us/f/72/dreadmasters.jpg/

In 1.2, among other disasters, they redesigned them to look like... power rangers baddies?

Current swtor design team is so fail.

They are so bad that they're even botching up old content.

LOOOL, they really look like Power Rangers bad guys! ROFL.

Sorry, but this is a rape of everything Star Wars!

I agree with what Goldiewilson said, a SW IP just isn't made for "phat loot" setting MMOs. That is just so dead wrong! It all makes me seriously wonder what the heck the target audience was in their mind? I don't get it. I mean, one or two failures or bad decisions happen in any game. But this? It's all a mess! How could this happen? :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

What do you expect? Most of the high level armor looks terrible and doesn't evoke Star Wars at all.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

And if leaks are correct those 5 guys will be the baddies for the next 2-3 major content patches.  I guess that explains why their models were changed in 1.2...  Now lets hope they get changed again.

The Enlightened take things Lightly