Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I played the game for 3 and a half minutes - And it's the worst thing I've ever seen"

Comments

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by helthros

Originally posted by grimfall

Originally posted by asianbboy101

Originally posted by Jayaris

Silliness aside, let's point out how to design a game.

This game is about grouping up and taking on fun group content - Accept it for what it is or move along.

If that's the selling point of the game... put it in right from the start.  Don't make people play 30 hours of boring content before introducing them to the hook.   Seriously, is that so difficult to figure out?

This is exactly what's wrong with the MMO community. "Give me the goods now or go home".

I would say what is wrong with the MMO community is simpletons continue to  buy crappy games and make excuses for the developers  which enables more developers to make more crappy games.

In what other aspect of ANYTHING does a producer hide the best parts of their product from potential buyers?

How would you like to try a peice of cheesecake?  Oh, yes, you have two eat off the top layer of dogshit before you get to the good part, but keep with it, it's going to be great eventually.

The alpha testers should have told them that the starting content for the game was dog shit, if they couldn't figure it out for themselves.  It's good that they are reacting in an effort to get people to overcome the dogshit part with their new tutorial, but really what they should do is scrap the thing and do it right.

If the game gets good at level 20, make me level 20.  If you don't feel like I've earned it, make level 20 like a hell level in Everquest, but for God's sake, don't expect me to slap down 50 bucks on poor design and implentation and hope that after 30 hours of wasting my time the game get's better.  Why would I intentionally do that?

Exactly what's wrong with MMOs and where they are headed - "If it's fun at 20, then start me at lvl 20!!!". I want my cheese and I want it now!!!

If you really get into where MMO's come from and the lore then you recognize that you're trying to prove yourself as a hero

Clearly you don't make the cut ;)

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

I think the main problem isn't people only trying it for less than 10hrs. Many people don't like to spend hours before fun starts, (me and my friend are though lol we play grind heavy games so 10 to get to the fun is nothing, we used to working months to get to the top in games and then enjoy the higher lvl content other can't. Idk we feel sense of achievement when we grind and lvl, not sure what most people now feels lol) and honestly thats their choice. You know if you want a game to grab you at the start and it doesn't and/or you just don't like the game. Good for you, hope you find something you like.

The PROBLEM is all the people who does that and try to convence everyone else the game isn't worth playing or is trash becuase they FELT it wasn't worth playing. I think thats the main issue many of us have is that people who don't like the game try to devalue the game for what it is simplly because they don't like it, and because they don't like it everyone else must not like it.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

If the game gets good at level 20, make me level 20.  If you don't feel like I've earned it, make level 20 like a hell level in Everquest, but for God's sake, don't expect me to slap down 50 bucks on poor design and implentation and hope that after 30 hours of wasting my time the game get's better.  Why would I intentionally do that?

Exactly what's wrong with MMOs and where they are headed - "If it's fun at 20, then start me at lvl 20!!!". I want my cheese and I want it now!!!

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I don't feel like I should have to pay a company to punish me.  You think playing a boring, uninspired click fest is a good thing.  To each his own.

I want to enjoy anything I pay for, be it a game, a cheeseburger, a concert ticket, a night at the comedy club right from the start.  Call me crazy, but that's how I roll.

If you pay me $900, I will buy Tera and play until the good part starts and give it a fare chance, or maybe I will pay someone else to level up my character past the shitty part.

Deal?

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by Purgatus

Well, I for one, have never played a game for 10 hours, and didnt get a sense of what it was like. Its true that people shouldn't just bash it without keeping an open mind though.

If you cannot give your players a feel for what the game is like in the beginning, which for an MMO is the first few days / 10 - 20 levels depending on what the cap is, then its just poor game design.

When I played WoW, DAoC, Rifts, SWTOR, etc, I got a sense right away what the game was like. How long do you feel you need to play before getting the gist?

First i'm not stalking you, it's just a coincidence if i quote you again. ;)

I agree that in this game they made a poor job of enticing a new player, the starting island is quite dull.

And while I agree that Rift and SWTOR have a decent starting area. I can't say the same for WOW. (i never played DAoC if not a beta long time ago so i don't know) 

Maybe it changed in the last years i don't know but from what i remember of the human starting area in WoW the quests progession was something like:

(QG quest giver)

QG: Please kill those 10 kobolds

YOU: Right away!

- later --

QG: Oh Thanks! Now please kill that other kobolds with a different name!

YOU: Of course it's my job!

-- later --

QG: Great, look i don't want to impose but there are some minerals in that cave... they are guarded by some kobolds.

YOU: Hey i'm the hero already moving!

-- later--

QG: You are a life saver, Now if you want to move to Goldshire there is some work there too.

YOU: At once!

-- Goldshire --

QG2: Hey I heard you have a way with kobolds can you explore this 2 mines full of them?

QG3: Since you like to kill Kobolds can you get some golden dust from them please?

QGX: Kobolds blah blah blah Kobold....

YOU: ........

So really, is this better?

I don't mind a stalker that's not an internet tard and a seeming rational person! lol.

When I played WoW, theose first levels were more than enough to tell me:

1. Class Mechanics

2. Quest structure

3. Art style

4. Advancment Scheme

5. Itemization

These gave me a good feel of what the game felt like. Though I don't like wow for its mechanics, I do like that it conved them right away.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Vannor

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.
    I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.
    If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I wasn't saying anything about the specifics of the gameplay or how that compares to later in the game. I was saying it needs to draw you in.. whether it be with story, lore, characters, a sense of achievement, a promise of things to come etc. anything that makes you excited to see what is next.
    If something isn't communicating those things or successfully making an impact with them on the majority of consumers then it's doing something wrong. Also, the game should be doing these things itself, not other people on forums.
    Take the BAM quests in TERA for example. There is no indication that they are in the game until you start doing them. Having a BAM type quest at the end of the starter area would probably help things a lot (the one in the dungeon area didn't really count to me because it was stupidly easy). Rift did it by putting a simple rift at the end of the tutorial area, GW2 does it with a tutorial group boss event. TERA shows you the bare minimum possible to keep you moving forward.

When people throw around words like "majority" and the all encompassing "you", I think it tends to derail a thread. If a game doesn't draw you (specifically you) in, then all that really means is that the game simply doesn't appeal to you. It doesn't mean the game is bad, since there are a few hundred million other people who play games that you do not represent with your opinion. Even if a million people agreed with you, that would still be a far far cry from the majority.

There are a ton of games and even entire genres that do not appeal to me. Do I go on a forum and say that the reason is bad game design? That would be silly.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by rexzshadow

I think the main problem isn't people only trying it for less than 10hrs. Many people don't like to spend hours before fun starts, (me and my friend are though lol we play grind heavy games so 10 to get to the fun is nothing, we used to working months to get to the top in games and then enjoy the higher lvl content other can't. Idk we feel sense of achievement when we grind and lvl, not sure what most people now feels lol) and honestly thats their choice. You know if you want a game to grab you at the start and it doesn't and/or you just don't like the game. Good for you, hope you find something you like.

The PROBLEM is all the people who does that and try to convence everyone else the game isn't worth playing or is trash becuase they FELT it wasn't worth playing. I think thats the main issue many of us have is that people who don't like the game try to devalue the game for what it is simplly because they don't like it, and because they don't like it everyone else must not like it.

I think this is a fair statement.

I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is when you see an interesting post with an opinion (such as this one) that differs from your own. I certainly do not want my opinion, based on my gameplay experience, to somehow devalue the experience of a person who thoroughly enjoyed Tera. And I would hope that people interested in it, or people on the fence, got a chance to play the beta and form their own opinions as to whether or not it was a good fit.

At the same time I don't think it's helpful to blame people for not liking something by saying they didn't play enough to get to the good parts or that somehow they're just part of a bad MMO generation because they aren't willing to slog through the boring content, or worse, that if they didn't make it to a certain level that their opinion is invalid.

Hopefully forums are used as a place to debate ideas and hands-on experience with products in an objective a way as possible. I think Tera has many good qualities, and I support any MMO that tries to bring something new to the table, even if I don't purchase it.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

I will give you a typical response which players mostly use...'if the game didn't grab you in first few minutes..then not worth the effort'. if it is true for every other MMO it is true for Tera too.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

I see a lot of people saying first impressions are everything but they're not, yes they give a sense of what you might expect but if a game takes a whole other direction then the initial first impression you got then are you still going to play it ?

I mean look at AoC, that's one game that really gave me a fuzzy feeling at the start and as soon as i got out of tortage that feeling quickly faded for several reasons.

I've had games that couldn't have a worse possible start or a really short tutorial that didn't help at all and about half of them were awesome, sure i could have avoided those that sucked because random review dude A said so but i never would have known the awesome ones if i didn't keep trying them out for myself.

I guess what i'm trying to say is; never judge a book by it's cover.

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

-snip

So if I play TERA for 4000 hours will that make me an expert?
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by Nerovipus

Originally posted by Searias

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

It's pretty simple, they go into the game thinking it will fail, and try to find whatever they can to prove it. Plus, most of them are already brain washed by Guild Wars 2, and they will never say anything good about Tera :P.

why are you so threatened by gw2?

I don't get how my post seemed like I was threatened by GW2. What I said is just common sense. For example, let’s say there is this girl, who is evil and you end up falling in love with her. By being in love you will never see the bad side of her or will ever want to admit it and will defend her no matter what she does :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Chrome1980

I will give you a typical response which players mostly use...'if the game didn't grab you in first few minutes..then not worth the effort'. if it is true for every other MMO it is true for Tera too.

That's the issue I have with a lot of MMOs, and TERA is a great example of this. It isn't until somewhere between level 12 and 18 that each class becomes interesting and fun to play. If Level 12 was Level 1 in TERA there would be a world of difference in how engaging the game is right off the bat.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.

I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.

If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I wasn't saying anything about the specifics of the gameplay or how that compares to later in the game. I was saying it needs to draw you in.. whether it be with story, lore, characters, a sense of achievement, a promise of things to come etc. anything that makes you excited to see what is next.

If something isn't communicating those things or successfully making an impact with them on the majority of consumers then it's doing something wrong. Also, the game should be doing these things itself, not other people on forums.

Take the BAM quests in TERA for example. There is no indication that they are in the game until you start doing them. Having a BAM type quest at the end of the starter area would probably help things a lot (the one in the dungeon area didn't really count to me because it was stupidly easy). Rift did it by putting a simple rift at the end of the tutorial area, GW2 does it with a tutorial group boss event. TERA shows you the bare minimum possible to keep you moving forward.

When people throw around words like "majority" and the all encompassing "you", I think it tends to derail a thread. If a game doesn't draw you (specifically you) in, then all that really means is that the game simply doesn't appeal to you. It doesn't mean the game is bad, since there are a few hundred million other people who play games that you do not represent with your opinion. Even if a million people agreed with you, that would still be a far far cry from the majority.

There are a ton of games and even entire genres that do not appeal to me. Do I go on a forum and say that the reason is bad game design? That would be silly.

I like these kinds of responses to something I've said. You know why? because you've made a damn good point and done a good job of pointing out some 'unintentional' flaws in the way I typetalk. I intended it to come across as an opinion, I obviously failed at that. You've also done it without automatically assuming I'm a hater and whilst trying to stay polite. image

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • swedagoswedago Member UncommonPosts: 78

Shame when an MMO takes longer to download than it keeps your interest...  Tera is definitely not a game I am buying

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by rexzshadow

I think this is a fair statement.

I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is when you see an interesting post with an opinion (such as this one) that differs from your own. I certainly do not want my opinion, based on my gameplay experience, to somehow devalue the experience of a person who thoroughly enjoyed Tera. And I would hope that people interested in it, or people on the fence, got a chance to play the beta and form their own opinions as to whether or not it was a good fit.

At the same time I don't think it's helpful to blame people for not liking something by saying they didn't play enough to get to the good parts or that somehow they're just part of a bad MMO generation because they aren't willing to slog through the boring content, or worse, that if they didn't make it to a certain level that their opinion is invalid.

Hopefully forums are used as a place to debate ideas and hands-on experience with products in an objective a way as possible. I think Tera has many good qualities, and I support any MMO that tries to bring something new to the table, even if I don't purchase it.

The posts I read from you always have a rational and proper way of expose opinions, you are far from being the problem.

This is a forum and the purpose of a forum is for people to express their opinion. 

My beef is with another category of posters. The kind who think every developer out there should work toward a single higher purpose, to amuse them. 

When a game fail to please them, they start a crusade to destroy that blasphemy game, since it commited the unspeakable cryme of being made for a different type of customers.

And doesn't matter if you try to explain them that you actually like that game or if other 100 1000 people will tell him they like the game, everyone else is nothing if compared to the bigger ME.

So they start to bash the game in every possible way and often they end embarassing themselve.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

Within the first five minutes I liked it enough to buy.  So, to each their own.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I like these kinds of responses to something I've said. You know why? because you've made a damn good point and done a good job of pointing out some 'unintentional' flaws in the way I typetalk. I intended it to come across as an opinion, I obviously failed at that. You've also done it without automatically assuming I'm a hater and whilst trying to stay polite.

I don't think you're a hater. I'm just sayin we are all guilty of padding our opinions from time to time so it needs to be pointed out from time to time.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

So your telling us they shouldn't be entertaining from the start. hmmm

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    OP

At least most are honest enough and tell you how long they played up front. Some people will honestly not like the art style, combat system or fact that it has a quest hub system as one of it's options. Can't blame them for that, at least they tried it (Jim Rome) allegedly.

I think TERA and the "15 minute review" go hand in hand. You're not going to find TERA's worth in that amount of time so it's best you did look somewhere else if that's all you can put forth. One of my friends told me he didn't want to play because he didn't like the controls and he preferred tab targetting. This game is not for everyone but it has such a different feel that you'd owe it to yourself to try.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    I know killing rats inside Freeport in EQ sure sucked me in. You have to want to be there. E-Divas entering a game demanding to have their breathe taken away because they are in for free are going to be disappointed. It's the same attitude that f2p brings.

The upside is that I thought if Chris Rock in The Fifth Element when I thought of the E-Divas.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158

it's a hit or miss with the action combat... i absolutely adore everything else in the game... but couldn't get used to the combat (particularly the animation lock for ranged magic users)

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

When I pay for a game, say $59.99 via download, it will charge my card immediately.  Therefore, I expect to be entertained immediately.

I understand that I won't get to experience massive dungeons, epic quest chains, powerful raids, or extremely deep gameplay at level 1, but the game should entertain me from the start.

That means character creation should be interesting, I shoud have fun with the combat system, and the "new to me" world should engage me right off the bat.  If I have to play for many hours, or endure 10 to 30 levels of mind numbing boredom, then I will not give the game a good review, no matter how good it gets later.

Imagine going to a restaraunt and being served food you don't really like, and when you ask the waiter why the food is so bad he flippantly says, "Oh, you have to eat 10 meals before the cuisine gets good.  You'll like it after that I assure you."  Would you honestly go back to eat two to ten bland or yucky meals in the hopes it actually gets better? 

I am not saying Tera is this way, for I haven't played it.  I am not saying that level one has to be the most epic experience ever.  But darn it, for $60 bucks it had better be fun and not feel like work.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

I think it is quite possible to figure out you don't like a game, in a short time. I only played SWTOR a few hours in closed beta, and already knew I didn't want to play it. The world was dead, lifeless. I like MMO's that are virtual worlds, and SWTOR is not it. I stopped playing in beta, when it was still free.

I played Mortal Online for less than 4 hours, and figured out I didn't like it.

It is also possible to get frustrated with a game, and then find out in later levels it's a blast. I started CoH when it first came out, and without any travel abilities, and very few powers, it is kind of frustrating. But once you can fly, and have all kinds of powers, it becomes fun.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• BoatsmateBoatsmate Member Posts: 208

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression". Hunter S Thompson

Thompson died at his "fortified compound" known as the "Owl Farms of a self -inflicted gun-shot wound from a Smith &Wesson model 645 handgun.

Ballerinas are always on their toes. Why don't they just get taller ballerinas?

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814

This is true of classes also. I remember one healer class, it had one weak attack, and one weak heal. Not fun to play, and it took a long time to kill anything. Very frustrating to solo with.

However, at mid-level and above, with several decent attacks, some good buffs, and good heals, that class became a completely different playstyle, and a lot of fun.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• chibineko89chibineko89 Member CommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by Searias

It's pretty simple, they go into the game thinking it will fail, and try to find whatever they can to prove it. Plus, most of them are already brain washed by Guild Wars 2, and they will never say anything good about Tera :P.

the real issue is tera feels like WoW with action combat for the begining of the game and that is a major turn off for alot of ppl 

if a game cant hook you for the 1st 20lvls then thats a failure on the developers side

especially with open betas where gamers play to see if they like the game

not to mention they made some design flaws with the game 

character creation

class differentiation(every sorc is the same sorc)

still has gear grind so skill only goes so far

boring WoW quest system

rooting for every ability(atleast till 20)

This discussion has been closed.