Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are people complaining about Diablo 3 because it doesnt feel like a mmo?

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

I understand where the older players are coming from with the stats complaint, and it's legitimate, however it will not stop me from playing it. i've been in the beta for two weeks now and the game is fun alone, and it's outstanding with friends.  People making arguments against artstyle, "it's not gothic", and the like are stating an opinion.  Purely visual.  Unless you're still playing on an ancient unit, the game play is smooth.  If you're playing on a decent unit, it's outstanding.  

I guess i'm glad i never went around forums or irc back when D2 was relevant, because i would probably have seen the same drab commentaries as i am seeing now flooding this site.  I'll walk away and be happy as hell to play this game with a lot of friends.  The game is good. Pure and simple ( opinion of course ).

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by bishbosh
    i played d3 beta this weekend and it was terrible. im judging it from a non mmorpg perspective (i was a big d2 fan back when blizzard actually cared about games ).
    there is almost no choice in how you build your character. the game is way to easy and you cant even change your hotkeys. the game has also lost its gothic dark foreboding feel and the music  is crap compared to diablo 2 (d2 music was really awesome). i dont know why they went with cartoony graphics and painterly textures, it totally doesnt fit in a diablo game.

Oh, you just played it this weekend, did you?

Interesting coincidence that your impressions of it happened to 100% precisely match what you posted two weeks ago then: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4887019#4887019

So what's the story? Pretending that you hadn't played it before? Or were you pretending that you'd played it two weeks ago when you hadn't? Or you never played it, and you're just trolling? Let's hear the truth, Bishbosh.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

As others have said i feel the complete opposite, if i want a MMO i will play an MMO, making D3 simplistic and more like an MMO kinda defeats the purpose of wanting to play a game like DIABLO.

Lolipops !

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Diablo and Diablo 2 were single player games with multiplayer mode.

I do not see why anyone would expect Diablo 3 to be an MMO...it is not the same thing.

I personally was looking forward to it just for the sake of the continuation of the story that I enjoyed in Single player mode with Diablo 1 and 2, but this time around there won;t be an offline single player mode. And that turned me off and I decided not to buy it due to that.

I just got GW2 instead, if I am to be forced to play online I would rather play an MMO, my single player games I like em to be offline.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by atticusbc

now that you mention it, i'm complaining about it because it does feel like an mmo.

Yup.  Always online and what amounts to a P2W cash shop in the form of an RMAH.  Nothing like it's predecessors and not in a good way.  It sounds like they've even dumbed it down, following the trend in MMOs these days.  What a disappointment from a franchise that gave me so many hours of enjoyment in the past.

• Cathleen81Cathleen81 Member Posts: 12

. I do understand it from mmorpg.com part since they get loads of hits etc with diablo 3 which is always good and more money from adds etc in the end.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

no, most complain because vid game hating is the new "in" thing to do

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

My observation is that people are complaining because they don't understand the new game systems (like how stat customization works now) and run to the forums to say that Blizzard dumbed the whole game down, when in fact they added new levels of depth. 

I keep seeing people say that there is no stat customization now, when it is far more customizable than it was in D2 through the new gem system.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Diablo 1 & 2 were never persistent worlds, but because of their chat channels there are MMOs with the addition of the RPG which is Diablo.  Diablo 3 is very different from D 1 & 2, but that is meant to be innovative rather than stagnation.  The art style and level design is clearly innovative and complementary to the original Diablos.  The loss of the Traditional gauntlet cursor was a mistake.  The full screen chat channels were the online power of Diablo 1 & 2. 

If they were smart they would have made a single IRC chat client that could launch all blizzard games, any of the Diablo's,  Starcrafts, or Warcrafts.  At the end of my time with Diablo 2 I spent more time in chat than I did in game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Originally posted by Axehilt

I imagine I'm going to love D3 overall, but in D2 the crappiest part about the game was how incredibly easy things were prior to level 20 -- and then after level 20 there was barely any progression left over to experience (you'd get your endgame skills at 30 and then your character was basically stagnant.)

By this frame of reference, wow is stagnant from the point you get all the skills in your primary rotation, discounting the same amount of gear , challenges and tactics.

Dunno, kinda reminds me of that discussion i had with some bloke, where he claimed that "endgame" in D2 (probably completing hell difficulty) was not reachable by every class, citing a "fire sorceress" as a example...

Flame on!

:)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by Axehilt

I imagine I'm going to love D3 overall, but in D2 the crappiest part about the game was how incredibly easy things were prior to level 20 -- and then after level 20 there was barely any progression left over to experience (you'd get your endgame skills at 30 and then your character was basically stagnant.)

By this frame of reference, wow is stagnant from the point you get all the skills in your primary rotation, discounting the same amount of gear , challenges and tactics.

Dunno, kinda reminds me of that discussion i had with some bloke, where he claimed that "endgame" in D2 (probably completing hell difficulty) was not reachable by every class, citing a "fire sorceress" as a example...

Fair point.  I guess the reason it didn't get old as fast in WOW is you weren't immediately repeating the entire game's content at level ~24 (whereas you do do that in D2.)  It was probably the double-whammy of having to suffer through too much easy mode and having to repeat the content -- most games just let you choose the right challenge for yourself right out of the gate.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

The problem with Diablo 3 is that most gamers that loved Diablo 2 have grown up and tried different games.

Diablo 3 is too much like Diablo 2 to draw some gamers interest, that's all.

It will be an incredibly sucessfull game i'm sure.

• ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158

d3 is not an mmo

• NerovipusNerovipus Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by ShadowVlican

d3 is not an mmo

why is it on this site then?

• NerovipusNerovipus Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by wrightstuf

no, most complain because vid game hating is the new "in" thing to do

nothing new about video game hating you must be new to video games or weren't around in the nintendo, sega era.

Originally posted by Rivalen

The problem with Diablo 3 is that most gamers that loved Diablo 2 have grown up and tried different games.

Diablo 3 is too much like Diablo 2 to draw some gamers interest, that's all.

It will be an incredibly sucessfull game i'm sure.

I played Diablo 1 & 2, and I must say the first thing I tried to do in OBT was swing the camera.  There is enough remaining from D1 & D2 to recognize Diablo 3 as their successor.  Will I buy it?  I think so.  Will I play as much as I did D1 & D2?  No,  The diablo loot fountain may be exciting, but I was never a fan of the individual item pick up.  Blizzard and its products have lead the online revolution, and it will not stop here.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Nerovipus

d3 is not an mmo

Because somebody paid the money to put it on the site.  Trust me when I say that an non-MMORPG has received coverage and a place on this site before, and I've complained about that too.

I'll go on to say that the Diablo series is not even an MMO at all.  It's multiplayer capable, and it can be online, but it's not massive in the scale that traditional MMORPGs are with players in the game

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

d3 is not an mmo

Battlenet chat is what makes Diablo a MMO.  Massive Multiplayer Online Chat Room, basically an IRC client to launch a Blizzard coop game from.  The chat screen is much smaller now, and is not the default location when leaving D3.  I see this as the number one flaw of D3.

Here is a good story on it Diablo 3′s Chat Channels, Problems and Solutions.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I don't think I've seen anyone make that complaint. 

EDIT

I apparently had a reading comprehension moment.  The only time I've seen this complaint is in disagreement that this game should be listed on MMORPG.com.  And they would be right in my opinion.  This game is not a MMO and this website took a huge credibility hit by adding it to their list.  They really should rename their website.

MO.com or MORPG.com

There is nothing massive about a Diablo game at all.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Konfess

d3 is not an mmo

Battlenet chat is what makes Diablo a MMO.  Massive Multiplayer Online Chat Room, basically an IRC client to launch a Blizzard coop game from.  The chat screen is much smaller now, and is not the default location when leaving D3.  I see this as the number one flaw of D3.

Does not make it an MMO.

It makes it single player / co-op player game with an irc like chat.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Nerovipus

d3 is not an mmo

Because somebody paid the money to put it on the site.  Trust me when I say that an non-MMORPG has received coverage and a place on this site before, and I've complained about that too.

I'll go on to say that the Diablo series is not even an MMO at all.  It's multiplayer capable, and it can be online, but it's not massive in the scale that traditional MMORPGs are with players in the game

+1

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by Konfess

d3 is not an mmo

LOL

Are you serious?  A chat room does not make a MMO.  As there are no 'players' in a chat room, only 'chatters'.  It's called a lobby chat.  I suppose one could be mad that this feature is no longer part of the game, but if it's the biggest flaw, then D3 is going to be a smash hit.  Not that there was ever any doubt.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

People were expecting D3 to feel like a MMO? whose fault is it then for harboring misconceptions and false expectations?

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Those who think that D2 and D1 were difficult during the first two hours, or that D3 will never be difficult are just deluding themselves.

Can't really tell late game difficult for D3, but this is following pretty much the same difficulty curve as every other Diablo game.

Game subscribes to more freedom with character creation, which means less permanent choices. Some people have problems with this. Mostly those are the people who somehow think that picking a skill point permanently does more to define your character than what skills you choose to bring into a fight and create build out of. But W/E.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

After over 6 disappointing hours of playing tera and expecting more disappointment from d3 i set in to see if it was as bad as many have said..

With all the hoopla this game wasnt even on my rader but 5 level 13 characters and a renewed diablo addiction later i pre-purchased it...

Playing GW2..