Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I played the game for 3 and a half minutes - And it's the worst thing I've ever seen"

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Relandi420

Obviously you haven't played recently, or completely skipped over the prologue.

You fight a BAM right at the end of that... (And no, not the one you fight in the next part of Island of Dawn; IN the prologue.)

Can't say I take much else of what you say at face value after something so clearly overlooked as this.

I havn't played the latest version, no. It sounds like they are addressing those problems a bit though, which is good. But I did get to BAM quests in the older beta weekends so I know what they are like, I had the patience to try the game out properly and I'm not bashing it at all. I think the combat is really good but the rest of the game, for me, seems to be a little too late to the party. For anyone who hasn't played as many MMOs I think it will be a great game.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Jayaris

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

First impressions are lasting impressions.  I have never, ever, ever, ever (repeat ever here 9000 times) played an MMO long term where the first hour of the game didnt grab me by the scruff of the neck and scream "PLAY ME FOOL".  I have played about 20 MMO's where I was not impressed in the first hour of gameplay and at some point in the future I turned around and said "wow this game sucked at level 1 but was awesome at level xxx".

If any vetern of MMOs can not see long term playability and feasability within the first hour of gameplay then you're an idiot.

I must be an idiot, because I'm honestly having a hard time understanding what you've wrote :

"I've never played an MMO long term where the first hour of the game didn't impress me etc."

"I've played twenty MMO's where the first hour of the game didn't impress me, then carried on playing it and changed my mind."

To me these seem like contradictory statements.

But, yeah man if you like to make statements and to back them up call people idiots as a form of reasonable discussion than go for it - Your opinion isn't worth anything to me.

Hi

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Ok i'll say it. I may get flamed for this but i'll say it anyway.

Has ever occured to you all that, maybe, some of the guy judging Tera a bad game are so bent to hate it cause they couldn't gather the skill required to play the game?

I don't mean the old discussion this game require skill while X don't etc.

I mean the actuall skill to be able to move and fight in a proficient way. Of course i don't mean all of them, but someone...

After all for a player used to play a tab targetiing game can be quite a hard step. 

For example I started to play tera with some friends, the wife of one of them couldn't grasp the combat system and stopped playing.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Vannor

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.

I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.

If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I wasn't saying anything about the specifics of the gameplay or how that compares to later in the game. I was saying it needs to draw you in.. whether it be with story, lore, characters, a sense of achievement, a promise of things to come etc. anything that makes you excited to see what is next.

It drew me and several other players in - Are we doing it wrong?

If something isn't communicating those things or successfully making an impact with them on the majority of consumers then it's doing something wrong. Also, the game should be doing these things itself, not other people on forums.

lol you need to load up EVE Online - A game doesn't need to hold your hand from creation in order to be fun, successful or anything like that

Take the BAM quests in TERA for example. There is no indication that they are in the game until you start doing them. Having a BAM type quest at the end of the starter area would probably help things a lot (the one in the dungeon area didn't really count to me because it was stupidly easy). Rift did it by putting a simple rift at the end of the tutorial area, GW2 does it with a tutorial group boss event. TERA shows you the bare minimum possible to keep you moving forward.

There's a saying that used to be quite prevalent in the old school MUD days - It's PAFO - Play and Find Out.

Honestly - I would be embarrassed with what you're saying that you need to be spoon fed like a little baby.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Searias

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

It's pretty simple, they go into the game thinking it will fail, and try to find whatever they can to prove it. Plus, most of them are already brain washed by Guild Wars 2, and they will never say anything good about Tera :P.

No, that's not really it at all.  I went into the game hoping for a new PVE based game to play, but found myself more annoyed than intrigued by the combat, and when you take out the combat, which is supposed to be the main selling point out, it's a WoW clone, without the style.

You can read my post history, I am not a GW2 fan boy.   I played more D3 this weekend than I did Tera.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Well in regards to your question, this games intro gameplay is not its strongest feature for sure.  To me the game really became appealing around lvl 11 and now im addicted to it.

This. To make it worse, they bandaid patched a lame tutorial on top of their already lame tutorial. Instead of replacing the island of the dawn, it's required in addition to it.

One of the biggest gripes people had is the starter island sucked. Why they thought it would be a good idea to make it take longer to get there is beyond me. Most people want to get through that asap. Furthermore showing you the game @ 20, and then kicking you down to lvl 1 again, is kind of lame & a bit of a tease tbh. Not a very good first impression, I'd say.

Having played the game in an earlier beta, though, I don't think most of the people who don't like the starter area will magically like the game if they managed to get to lvl 20+. While the combat does change significantly (you actually have enough skills to do some small range of tactics), the rest of the game really doesn't. Yes, there are BAMs, but if unless you didn't know about your dodge / block / evade buttons, it kinda starts to feel the same after a while. After all, taking 10 minutes to defeat a badass monster is epic, grinding that is a headache.

Originally posted by Kehdar

Ok i'll say it. I may get flamed for this but i'll say it anyway.

Has ever occured to you all that, maybe, some of the guy judging Tera a bad game are so bent to hate it cause they couldn't gather the skill required to play the game?

I don't mean the old discussion this game require skill while X don't etc.

I mean the actuall skill to be able to move and fight in a proficient way. Of course i don't mean all of them, but someone...

After all for a player used to play a tab targetiing game can be quite a hard step. 

For example I started to play tera with some friends, the wife of one of them couldn't grasp the combat system and stopped playing.

I don't doubt that many negative reviews about lots of MMO's are more motivated by reasons more complex than the simple quality of a game. 

Glaring example of this is a Guild Wars 2 fanatic.

As far as the skill level goes, given that they don't get past level 10 (And the early game monsters are easily beatable by spamming your main attack I don't think it would be that.

Hi

Originally posted by helthros

Originally posted by asianbboy101

so by your logic........If i say the game is fantastic and played under 10 hours of playing time; my input doesn't count as well?

Exactly - How much do you know about metaphysics. Ok, now study metaphysics for less than 10 hours, do you think you would have a valid input after that amount of studying?

It's amazing how this new self-entitled generation approaches things these days. Oh kids - You guys are in for a rude awakening in the real world with this "make something for me or it's inferior" attitude.

I'm sorry but whether you didn't like tha game or not you can't dispute that the group content in the game will be fun for those who are enjoying the combat. Then again, most trolls don't even make it far enough to see the group content. Might I redirect you to the MMORPG.COM where Billy and MikeB comment on not having been blown away with TERA until they experienced their first group dungeon...

To the OP - TERA will be a niche game, there's no denying that.

All this whining about "omg if you can't grab your players within the first 10 hours". It's hit or miss. I remember when I started WOW, I did the most mundane collection of quests imaginable - However, I knew what I was looking forward to since my buddies were already engrossed in the game, so I kept going.

This game doesn't have innovative quests for solo play - If that's what you're after download Swtor or simply stick to single player games.

Silliness aside, let's point out how to design a game.

This game is about grouping up and taking on fun group content - Accept it for what it is or move along.

If that's the selling point of the game... put it in right from the start.  Don't make people play 30 hours of boring content before introducing them to the hook.   Seriously, is that so difficult to figure out?

Originally posted by aesperus

Well in regards to your question, this games intro gameplay is not its strongest feature for sure.  To me the game really became appealing around lvl 11 and now im addicted to it.

This. To make it worse, they bandaid patched a lame tutorial on top of their already lame tutorial. Instead of replacing the island of the dawn, it's required in addition to it.

One of the biggest gripes people had is the starter island sucked. Why they thought it would be a good idea to make it take longer to get there is beyond me. Most people want to get through that asap. Furthermore showing you the game @ 20, and then kicking you down to lvl 1 again, is kind of lame & a bit of a tease tbh. Not a very good first impression, I'd say.

Having played the game in an earlier beta, though, I don't think most of the people who don't like the starter area will magically like the game if they managed to get to lvl 20+. While the combat does change significantly (you actually have enough skills to do some small range of tactics), the rest of the game really doesn't. Yes, there are BAMs, but if unless you didn't know about your dodge / block / evade buttons, it kinda starts to feel the same after a while. After all, taking 10 minutes to defeat a badass monster is epic, grinding that is a headache.

The lvl 20 thing was more about letting you experience what your class might play like without having to actually get to lvl 20. Way over your head apparently... lol.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I don't doubt that many negative reviews about lots of MMO's are more motivated by reasons more complex than the simple quality of a game. 

Glaring example of this is a Guild Wars 2 fanatic.

As far as the skill level goes, given that they don't get past level 10 (And the early game monsters are easily beatable by spamming your main attack I don't think it would be that.

I don't mean they failed at killing mobs, that's impossibile in the starting island. 

I mean they just couldn't adapt to the gameplay. Mhh like a pair of uncomfortable shoes ;)

Originally posted by aesperus

I found the level 20 tutorial to be useful in deciding what class to play, but hey that's just me. I'm sure it annoyed the hell out of everyone else who played it ;). I also didn't find it to be lame, when I played the beat weekends I really didn't have any context to who the Elleon guy was, the tutorial tied it in for me.

In terms of the tutorial I will say

- Too much ladder climbing

- Too few monsters

- Too much walking

If you took out one of the sets of ladders and threw in some more monsters I'd be happy with it.

Hi

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Exactly - How much do you know about metaphysics. Ok, now study metaphysics for less than 10 hours, do you think you would have a valid input after that amount of studying?

It's amazing how this new self-entitled generation approaches things these days. Oh kids - You guys are in for a rude awakening in the real world with this "make something for me or it's inferior" attitude.

I'm sorry but whether you didn't like tha game or not you can't dispute that the group content in the game will be fun for those who are enjoying the combat. Then again, most trolls don't even make it far enough to see the group content. Might I redirect you to the MMORPG.COM where Billy and MikeB comment on not having been blown away with TERA until they experienced their first group dungeon...

All this whining about "omg if you can't grab your players within the first 10 hours". It's hit or miss. I remember when I started WOW, I did the most mundane collection of quests imaginable - However, I knew what I was looking forward to since my buddies were already engrossed in the game, so I kept going.

This game doesn't have innovative quests for solo play - If that's what you're after download Swtor or simply stick to single player games. This game is about grouping up and taking on fun group content - Accept it for what it is or move along.

This isn't metaphysics it's a video game.

How long should a person play a video game before they say "Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun"?

I live and work in the real world and this has nothing to do with entitlement. It's like you're blaming people for not liking this game. Back in my day we played pong on an Atari 2600 and damnit we appreciated it so stop complaining!

Yes, of course, some people are probably trolling the game with their posts, and that's not OK. Should people just try harder to like it? Things have changed since vanilla WoW. I ground rep in heroic Shattered Halls for weeks for a purple rep dagger, I know about "working" for something in an MMO. Yet now there is competition and choice and consumers have perhaps become more discriminating. Some folks will call game players these days Mountain Dew addled ADHD twitch gamers. Maybe there's some truth to that. But shouldn't game companies identify what their target audiences are looking for and try and make a product geared to that?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.

I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.

If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I wasn't saying anything about the specifics of the gameplay or how that compares to later in the game. I was saying it needs to draw you in.. whether it be with story, lore, characters, a sense of achievement, a promise of things to come etc. anything that makes you excited to see what is next.

If something isn't communicating those things or successfully making an impact with them on the majority of consumers then it's doing something wrong. Also, the game should be doing these things itself, not other people on forums.

lol you need to load up EVE Online - A game doesn't need to hold your hand from creation in order to be fun, successful or anything like that

Take the BAM quests in TERA for example. There is no indication that they are in the game until you start doing them. Having a BAM type quest at the end of the starter area would probably help things a lot (the one in the dungeon area didn't really count to me because it was stupidly easy). Rift did it by putting a simple rift at the end of the tutorial area, GW2 does it with a tutorial group boss event. TERA shows you the bare minimum possible to keep you moving forward.

There's a saying that used to be quite prevalent in the old school MUD days - It's PAFO - Play and Find Out.

Honestly - I would be embarrassed with what you're saying that you need to be spoon fed like a little baby.

Well, you've totally misinterpreted everything I was saying, or at least trying to say.

Originally posted by grimfall

so by your logic........If i say the game is fantastic and played under 10 hours of playing time; my input doesn't count as well?

This game doesn't have innovative quests for solo play - If that's what you're after download Swtor or simply stick to single player games.

This game is about grouping up and taking on fun group content - Accept it for what it is or move along.

If that's the selling point of the game... put it in right from the start.  Don't make people play 30 hours of boring content before introducing them to the hook.   Seriously, is that so difficult to figure out?

This is exactly what's wrong with the MMO community. "Give me the goods now or go home".

Well, you've totally misinterpreted everything I was saying, or at least trying to say.

Please do tell, because it feels like I nailed it. I went by what you wrote, sorry if there was some secret hidden message I missed. I'm not fluent in troll.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I can usually accurately determine if a game is for me or not in a few hours or so. I am a bit more thorough than that though. I try many, if not all the classes because I've played games where I enjoyed only one class.

The starting island didn't bother me. Had nothing to do with me passing on the game. It was the combat. It wasn't fluid enough for me, especially being an action based game. The constant pausing on skills and normal attacks, especially trying to strafe, was annoying. I've played smoother games that weren't action based, lol. It is a shame, I was liking the warrior, just too cumbersome.

The lack of resists (elemental, magic) kind of makes the sorc a bit bland for me. I did like the archer, but again the movement during combat. I probably could have put up with it, but without some other factor to keep me in the game, I shouldn't have to.

Starting areas are usually bland, and I am not a big fan of quests, but I don't make my determination off of that. I judge the combat. If that doesn't draw me in, there is no point. The one thing I did like about the Tera introduction, is it started you off at level 20 with a variety of skills. Gives a good look at what combat will be like. Even without that though, can still tell a couple levels in. Sluggish fighting is not going to improve with more skills, just going to get worse.

Overall, found Tera not for me and I could have said that after a couple hours.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

It's pretty simple, they go into the game thinking it will fail, and try to find whatever they can to prove it. Plus, most of them are already brain washed by Guild Wars 2, and they will never say anything good about Tera :P.

No, that's not really it at all.  I went into the game hoping for a new PVE based game to play, but found myself more annoyed than intrigued by the combat, and when you take out the combat, which is supposed to be the main selling point out, it's a WoW clone, without the style.

You can read my post history, I am not a GW2 fan boy.   I played more D3 this weekend than I did Tera.

Tera was never meant to be a game for everyone, I have stated that before. But, when you look at all those Guild Wars 2 fan boys taking part in Tera's open beta just to demoralize people from even enjoying Tera is kind of sad. If that's the kind of people going to play Guild Wars 2, I don't know how fun the game is going to be in the end.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Honestly i knew within minutes the game was not anything special to me and by 6 hours of an all to familiar yawnfest it was off my hard drive..

Is it a bad game?

No, it is not a bad game as much as it is just not my thing, it was the f2p style linear, generic questing and an art style thats not to my liking more than anything else..

The game ran really well on my pc and had a ton of players in it many of whom seemed to be enjoying the game unfortunately i was not one of them....

Playing GW2..

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

learning metaphysics is not same as playing a video game and cannot be put into same flawed logic equation of yours.

how is that self-entitled? plus i wasn't even in the beta. If I was in the beta and played and enjoyed it, how is that SELF-ENTITLED?! I play games cuz its fun, not dicated by someone with flawed logic.

Originally posted by Charlizzard

This game doesn't have innovative quests for solo play - If that's what you're after download Swtor or simply stick to single player games. This game is about grouping up and taking on fun group content - Accept it for what it is or move along.

This isn't metaphysics it's a video game.

How long should a person play a video game before they say "Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun"?

I would say at least until you get to the point the game is centered around - Here being the group content. If you didn't make it to at least 20 (at which point your input would be marginally respectable), then you don't know what you're talking about.

I live and work in the real world and this has nothing to do with entitlement. It's like you're blaming people for not liking this game. Back in my day we played pong on an Atari 2600 and damnit we appreciated it so stop complaining!

No, it's more the idea that of "oh I tried this out for 10 mins, suddenly I'm an expert and speak spoken facts when I say it sucks" - That won't do you any favors in the real world.

Yes, of course, some people are probably trolling the game with their posts, and that's not OK. Should people just try harder to like it? Things have changed since vanilla WoW. I ground rep in heroic Shattered Halls for weeks for a purple rep dagger, I know about "working" for something in an MMO. Yet now there is competition and choice and consumers have perhaps become more discriminating. Some folks will call game players these days Mountain Dew addled ADHD twitch gamers. Maybe there's some truth to that. But shouldn't game companies identify what their target audiences are looking for and try and make a product geared to that?

You mean like making an action oriented MMO with fun PvE and without tab targetting and skill rotations?

Please do tell, because it feels like I nailed it. I went by what you wrote, sorry if there was some secret hidden message I missed. I'm not fluent in troll.

It's a real shame when a blatent fanboi starts jumping on the posts they don't agree with and chooses the ignore the positive things I have said in other posts in the same thread. You certainly are fluent in troll my friend.

• NerovipusNerovipus Member Posts: 35

why are you so threatened by gw2?

This is exactly what's wrong with the MMO community. "Give me the goods now or go home".

I would say what is wrong with the MMO community is simpletons continue to  buy crappy games and make excuses for the developers  which enables more developers to make more crappy games.

In what other aspect of ANYTHING does a producer hide the best parts of their product from potential buyers?

How would you like to try a peice of cheesecake?  Oh, yes, you have two eat off the top layer of dogshit before you get to the good part, but keep with it, it's going to be great eventually.

The alpha testers should have told them that the starting content for the game was dog shit, if they couldn't figure it out for themselves.  It's good that they are reacting in an effort to get people to overcome the dogshit part with their new tutorial, but really what they should do is scrap the thing and do it right.

If the game gets good at level 20, make me level 20.  If you don't feel like I've earned it, make level 20 like a hell level in Everquest, but for God's sake, don't expect me to slap down 50 bucks on poor design and implentation and hope that after 30 hours of wasting my time the game get's better.  Why would I intentionally do that?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Originally posted by Zylaxx

First impressions are lasting impressions.  I have never, ever, ever, ever (repeat ever here 9000 times) played an MMO long term where the first hour of the game didnt grab me by the scruff of the neck and scream "PLAY ME FOOL".  I have played about 20 MMO's where I was not impressed in the first hour of gameplay and at some point in the future I turned around and said "wow this game sucked at level 1 but was awesome at level xxx".

If any vetern of MMOs can not see long term playability and feasability within the first hour of gameplay then you're an idiot.

Thats not always the case mr. veteran.  Especially since TERA wasn't originally made here, its quite the different case.  The game really gets better the deeper you go and I think thats something alot of MMO's fail to capture.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

learning metaphysics is not same as playing a video game and cannot be put into same flawed logic equation of yours.

how is that self-entitled? plus i wasn't even in the beta. If I was in the beta and played and enjoyed it, how is that SELF-ENTITLED?! I play games cuz its fun, not dicated by someone with flawed logic.

Maybe the metaphysics example was over your head. Study muffins for 10 hours, and then you tell me if you feel like an expert all things muffins. I forgot how forum people with no arguement tend to harp on semantics :). The logic remains, 10 hours doesn't make you an expert on anything, video game or not. 10 hours in WoW lets you know what the end game is like, right?

You weren't in the beta, and you're commenting like you know the game? Thanks for proving my point lol.

This discussion has been closed.