Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I played the game for 3 and a half minutes - And it's the worst thing I've ever seen"

JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

Hi

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Well in regards to your question, this games intro gameplay is not its strongest feature for sure.  To me the game really became appealing around lvl 11 and now im addicted to it.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.

I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Well, I for one, have never played a game for 10 hours, and didnt get a sense of what it was like. Its true that people shouldn't just bash it without keeping an open mind though.

If you cannot give your players a feel for what the game is like in the beginning, which for an MMO is the first few days / 10 - 20 levels depending on what the cap is, then its just poor game design.

When I played WoW, DAoC, Rifts, SWTOR, etc, I got a sense right away what the game was like. How long do you feel you need to play before getting the gist?

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Originally posted by Jayaris

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

It's pretty simple, they go into the game thinking it will fail, and try to find whatever they can to prove it. Plus, most of them are already brain washed by Guild Wars 2, and they will never say anything good about Tera :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

What you say applies to Diablo 3 too.

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

SWTOR - Beginning  was Awesome! Ending - well we all know about that. And i had really HIGH hopes for this game.

Tera - Beggining is slow, but like others have said once you get off the initial island it starts getting interesting. Is it a game I will play longterm? No clue, I broke my crystal ball.

Isn't it usually the end game content everyone complains about anyways? Who cares about the initial island....

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

First impressions are everything, especially for MMOs or any game where theres a possibility to play for hundreds of hours. If it doesnt grab your attention, and then hold it, then whats the point of putting in more time just to level up and see where it goes? 

These days, with so many options to choose from, and more games being released every month, Im not gonna invest my time in something that i get bored with in 10 minutes. Everyone has thier own personal tastes, whether its music, TV, or video games. And they arent wrong if Tera is the worst game they ever played. Doesnt mean you have to hate it too, you might think its the best game you ever played. Neither of you is wrong.

Personally, i played Tera, forced myself to play for 3 long hours (long because i was bored to death), tried every class (to the capitol city and a couple beyond). Its not my cup of tea. I will never put money into this game, and have no desire to ever play it again. Does it mean the game sucks? No. It means i think it sucked. The questing is boring, same thing we have done for over a decade, the combat is slow, sluggish, and most of the classes all play exactly the same up until level 15 or so. Most even share the same skills and dodges. As far as the dodging goes. its really only makes the combat worse. Youre rooted for casting any spells or skills, and being able to backflip over someone that sneaked up on me for PVP is not enough to make the combat fun. There has to be more than a very small minor single selling point, and unfortunately for Tera, thats all there is. 

"Tera- you can do a backflip in PVP over the person trying to kill you"....there ya go, thats the games new tagline and only redeeming quality. Outside of that, guess what.... Its Aion in a new skin (without the wings even, which makes it SOOOO much worse).

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Vannor
    Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.
    I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.
    If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I'm enjoying the game, but it gets better after lvl 11 when you go to the main city and start from there. It's nice to get a horse so early in game.  I'm lvl 20 now and it keeps getting better to me.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

I played the game for around an hour and decided it that it just was not my thing. You can  play a game for just a few minutes or a few hours and decide that your not interested in playing it., sometimes its just a matter of playstyle or what you like in the art aspect. It does not mean that your bashing it. I am sure lots of folks will hvae a blast with it and thats cool.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Originally posted by Purgatus

Well, I for one, have never played a game for 10 hours, and didnt get a sense of what it was like. Its true that people shouldn't just bash it without keeping an open mind though.

If you cannot give your players a feel for what the game is like in the beginning, which for an MMO is the first few days / 10 - 20 levels depending on what the cap is, then its just poor game design.

When I played WoW, DAoC, Rifts, SWTOR, etc, I got a sense right away what the game was like. How long do you feel you need to play before getting the gist?

I haven't played DAoC Rift or SWTOR, but having played WoW I can say I understood absolutely nothing about how the game would be played from the first 10 hours - RFC isn't till level 20 the quests were simple fetch and farm quests and I had no idea what was going on.

Needless to say, the difference between my impression of the first twenty levels and the end-game at 60 (Which for a long-term player is what is most important) were vastly different.

The only thing you can get an impression of in the first twenty levels, is the first twenty levels.

I never played any Battlegrounds went to any raids joined any guilds or grinded any gear, yet 90% of my time was just that when the real game began.

I'd say level 40, or a more general 60% of the level cap.

Hi

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I played between 8 and 10 hours, got up to level 16, and figured at the point I had enough information to decide that I didn't like the game enough to buy it. Does that mean that I did it wrong?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by aslan132

First impressions are everything, especially for MMOs or any game where theres a possibility to play for hundreds of hours. If it doesnt grab your attention, and then hold it, then whats the point of putting in more time just to level up and see where it goes? 

These days, with so many options to choose from, and more games being released every month, Im not gonna invest my time in something that i get bored with in 10 minutes. Everyone has thier own personal tastes, whether its music, TV, or video games. And they arent wrong if Tera is the worst game they ever played. Doesnt mean you have to hate it too, you might think its the best game you ever played. Neither of you is wrong.

Personally, i played Tera, forced myself to play for 3 long hours (long because i was bored to death), tried every class (to the capitol city and a couple beyond). Its not my cup of tea. I will never put money into this game, and have no desire to ever play it again. Does it mean the game sucks? No. It means i think it sucked. The questing is boring, same thing we have done for over a decade, the combat is slow, sluggish, and most of the classes all play exactly the same up until level 15 or so. Most even share the same skills and dodges. As far as the dodging goes. its really only makes the combat worse. Youre rooted for casting any spells or skills, and being able to backflip over someone that sneaked up on me for PVP is not enough to make the combat fun. There has to be more than a very small minor single selling point, and unfortunately for Tera, thats all there is. 

"Tera- you can do a backflip in PVP over the person trying to kill you"....there ya go, thats the games new tagline and only redeeming quality. Outside of that, guess what.... Its Aion in a new skin (without the wings even, which makes it SOOOO much worse).

In 3 hours you completed every class past the Island of Dawn? Shut the front door.

Tera is Aion is a new skin Aion is previous MMO in a new skin, Ultima Online is a MUD in a new skin.

The races are different the setting is different the story is different, they are both fantasy MMORPG's with elements found in every other game in that genre.

Hi

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I played between 8 and 10 hours, got up to level 16, and figured at the point I had enough information to decide that I didn't like the game enough to buy it. Does that mean that I did it wrong?

Maybe you would of enjoyed TERA immensely if you continued playing it, maybe at a later date they will introduce a trial and you can take another look. 

Hi

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by Purgatus

First i'm not stalking you, it's just a coincidence if i quote you again. ;)

I agree that in this game they made a poor job of enticing a new player, the starting island is quite dull.

And while I agree that Rift and SWTOR have a decent starting area. I can't say the same for WOW. (i never played DAoC if not a beta long time ago so i don't know) 

Maybe it changed in the last years i don't know but from what i remember of the human starting area in WoW the quests progession was something like:

(QG quest giver)

QG: Please kill those 10 kobolds

YOU: Right away!

- later --

QG: Oh Thanks! Now please kill that other kobolds with a different name!

YOU: Of course it's my job!

-- later --

QG: Great, look i don't want to impose but there are some minerals in that cave... they are guarded by some kobolds.

YOU: Hey i'm the hero already moving!

-- later--

QG: You are a life saver, Now if you want to move to Goldshire there is some work there too.

YOU: At once!

-- Goldshire --

QG2: Hey I heard you have a way with kobolds can you explore this 2 mines full of them?

QG3: Since you like to kill Kobolds can you get some golden dust from them please?

QGX: Kobolds blah blah blah Kobold....

YOU: ........

So really, is this better?

You're not wrong and TERA's early game could definitely be vastly improved, I hope that the developers continue to work on it.

But, Age of Conan had a fantastic first twenty levels did it not?

Warhammer Online's early game was also well received..

And I don't doubt that people are going to love there personal story lines in Guild Wars 2..

A bad early game creates the problem of a lower conversion rate from new players to old players.

A bad late game creates the problem of massive playerbase drop off.

Hi

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I guess that anyone that really wants to give it an honest shot, should get past the starting isle.

I, myself, couldn't sadly. But it's not like I started a crusade against TERA for it either.

• asianbboy101asianbboy101 Member Posts: 82

so by your logic........If i say the game is fantastic and played under 10 hours of playing time; my input doesn't count as well?

Originally posted by asianbboy101

so by your logic........If i say the game is fantastic and played under 10 hours of playing time; my input doesn't count as well?

Quite right, positive feedback from people who had barely played the game did little to stop the massive playerbase drop-offs of past AAA MMO's.

Hi

• kebekebe Member UncommonPosts: 7

when I started playing this game I hated it I did not really have much interest in it to start with ,and the 1st 1 hour of playing I was thinking this game really sucks I hate the controls and the game style ,

but then I started getting used to the game and how to play it and after a few hours I pre-ordered it ,can not say I will play it for ever but for now I like it lol

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Exactly - How much do you know about metaphysics. Ok, now study metaphysics for less than 10 hours, do you think you would have a valid input after that amount of studying?

It's amazing how this new self-entitled generation approaches things these days. Oh kids - You guys are in for a rude awakening in the real world with this "make something for me or it's inferior" attitude.

I'm sorry but whether you didn't like tha game or not you can't dispute that the group content in the game will be fun for those who are enjoying the combat. Then again, most trolls don't even make it far enough to see the group content. Might I redirect you to the MMORPG.COM where Billy and MikeB comment on not having been blown away with TERA until they experienced their first group dungeon...

To the OP - TERA will be a niche game, there's no denying that.

All this whining about "omg if you can't grab your players within the first 10 hours". It's hit or miss. I remember when I started WOW, I did the most mundane collection of quests imaginable - However, I knew what I was looking forward to since my buddies were already engrossed in the game, so I kept going.

This game doesn't have innovative quests for solo play - If that's what you're after download Swtor or simply stick to single player games. This game is about grouping up and taking on fun group content - Accept it for what it is or move along.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.

If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

I wasn't saying anything about the specifics of the gameplay or how that compares to later in the game. I was saying it needs to draw you in.. whether it be with story, lore, characters, a sense of achievement, a promise of things to come etc. anything that makes you excited to see what is next.

If something isn't communicating those things or successfully making an impact with them on the majority of consumers then it's doing something wrong. Also, the game should be doing these things itself, not other people on forums.

Take the BAM quests in TERA for example. There is no indication that they are in the game until you start doing them. Having a BAM type quest at the end of the starter area would probably help things a lot (the one in the dungeon area didn't really count to me because it was stupidly easy). Rift did it by putting a simple rift at the end of the tutorial area, GW2 does it with a tutorial group boss event. TERA shows you the bare minimum possible to keep you moving forward.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Relandi420Relandi420 Member Posts: 48

Obviously you haven't played recently, or completely skipped over the prologue.

You fight a BAM right at the end of that... (And no, not the one you fight in the next part of Island of Dawn; IN the prologue.)

Can't say I take much else of what you say at face value after something so clearly overlooked as this.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

First impressions are lasting impressions.  I have never, ever, ever, ever (repeat ever here 9000 times) played an MMO long term where the first hour of the game didnt grab me by the scruff of the neck and scream "PLAY ME FOOL".  I have played about 20 MMO's where I was not impressed in the first hour of gameplay and at some point in the future I turned around and said "wow this game sucked at level 1 but was awesome at level xxx".

If any vetern of MMOs can not see long term playability and feasability within the first hour of gameplay then you're an idiot.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

I laughed after seeing some of your other posts Asianbboy101, lol. Looking at how you bash games that you don't like or haven't even played is just epic: P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

This discussion has been closed.