Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Exactly does position matter in combat?

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

So this is something I've been wondering about for a while now but haven't found an answer to.  To the naked eye, GW2 combat looks like your standard WoW click and hit things combat but I've noticed alot of things from various video's that have led me to think it isn't.  I just want to figure out how exactly combat will work in this game.

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Watch the hundreds of videos on youtube, come back then and we can discuss it.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

The info we have on it is from vids and sites with a few commentors from previous betas.

The true answer will be answered when YOU play it and see it for yourself. You can tell 1000 babies not to touch something because it is hot, but invariably they will ALL burn themselves.

It's the best way to learn.

P.S  I didn't use the burning example to imply anything bad about GW2, just the most obvious idiom for learning for yourself something.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Since targeting is not necessary positioning is important in at least one simple aspect... not getting hit while hitting your target. Considering some hits can 1 shot or take 90% of your health... not being in the area of the swing will be very important. Other than that I have not heard of or seen any bonus to flank or rear attacks. However, they might be added or could be in the game, but no one has talked about it. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Why does position matter?

Follow this link, and check out the video, jump to about 20:55.  The rest speaks for itself.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guild_wars_2/b/pc/archive/2012/04/13/guild-wars-2-video-preview.aspx

Its an honest answer, I learned a lot just from the videos, all he had to do was watch a few of them, and come back with a more detailed question.

It was clear, at least to me, that he hadnt seen a single video, or even read the website.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by Adalwulff

Its an honest answer, I learned a lot just from the videos, all he had to do was watch a few of them, and come back with a more detailed question.

It was clear, at least to me, that he hadnt seen a single video, or even read the website.

Well, Nefara with only 7 posts on this site provided a link. I think that is probably a better answer to his question than go watch a hundred videos and come back to discuss it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Well sorry my knowledge of these things isn't as great as yours but I actually have spent quite a bit of time nerding out on youtube video's and the website looking at info for this game due to my anticipation for GW2, but thanks for your extremely helpful input as always.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Sorry if this ISNT what you wanted because your thread title and OP are slightly different. If you wanted to know about positioning there are benefits to attacking from behind or the side, more damage or something.. I do not know the details but from what I have seen this is the case. Also at least the longbow the farther away you are the more damage so this also is a position thing. Greatsword and others? again im fuzzy on this one.. hit more than one target while meleeing so again.. position affects this.

Some of these guys are right however rude the comments may seem. Your best bet to learn about the combat is to watch vids on combat. Youtube is a wealth of information. Can someone link the better vids I can NEVER remember who posted what and when so am terrible at finding the better vids. That one from the recent article where devs were playing would help the OP a lot.

nvm, I did find it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OYXpLDcfkdY#!

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

The simple fact that you can dodge attacks is the biggest reason position matters.  You cannot intentionally dodge attacks in traditional tab targetting games.

There are a number of abilities that are positional in nature.  For example, the ranger gets a solid DPS boost when engaging an enemy on thier flanks.  I am sure other classes have similar mechanics to one degree or another.

You have cross profession combos that require you to be in a proper position to set them up and to take advantage of them.

Then you have combat with larger groups of people, where situational awareness (proper positioning) can keep you from getting over ran or can aid you in defeating a larger group if there are not situationally aware.  To  put it a different way, you have to have proper position to be able to flank an enemy or avoid being flanked by them.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by atziluth

Since targeting is not necessary positioning is important in at least one simple aspect... not getting hit while hitting your target. Considering some hits can 1 shot or take 90% of your health... not being in the area of the swing will be very important. Other than that I have not heard of or seen any bonus to flank or rear attacks. However, they might be added or could be in the game, but no one has talked about it. 

Ahhh a useful answer..

Also, position is important for using combo attacks (not sure what the 'proper' name is) so that you can for instance fire arrows through fire to make fire arrows. 

Thirdly, although aggro works differently in GW2 to other games, you want to be in a position where you are less, or more likely to attract aggro, depending on what you are trying to do

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

well for one thing, the reason why they made large enemies slower to turn and slower to run after you is due to the physics they wanted to include in the game. No despite people's hate of this game it was NOT due to a programming error or Lag. They want to afford you the op to move alot in this game and when I say move i don't mean making a couple of abilities usable while moving, i mean making abilities move you, making the enemies move, abilities that slow them down stop them or turning them around entirely. It's one of the appeals this game has for me, the ability to not only move myself but enemies as well.

Positioning is everything in RL combat, so putting into a game as close as they possibly can is awesome. I like that i can use a blast to knock an enemy away and then back draft them at another vulnerable time as an engineer using the flame thrower kit.

It's going to be lots of fun!

• NerovipusNerovipus Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by Chrisbox

So this is something I've been wondering about for a while now but haven't found an answer to.  To the naked eye, GW2 combat looks like your standard WoW click and hit things combat but I've noticed alot of things from various video's that have led me to think it isn't.  I just want to figure out how exactly combat will work in this game.

you can't manually dodge attacks in wow you can in guild wars 2.  /thread

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It matters a lot... Since you can cast your spells even without being in range of your foe or even without having a target it's really important how far you are from your opponent or if you're close enough (depends on the weapon you use) to deliver the hit.

So just by choosing where you stand if you're the attacker is important because that's the main factor if you'll even hit your foe or not...

If you're defending your self it matters if you can evade the attack by dodging or not and where will you dodge...

For instance, some attacks have indication at what direction the spell will have an effect so if you choose the same direction of dodging as the direction of attackers spell you'll get hit after you dodge away... So position does matter if you'll stay allive or not and if you'll even hit your target or not... That's just a small example and the basics of the combat in GW2...

There's a lot more to it since you can actually influence the players and make them stop, slow them down or even turn the whole thing around or make him chase you while you're dealing damage to him just by stepping trough portals and stuff like that... Position and movement is the basic principle of combat in this game.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Very few things are auto homing.  Every melee attack and most projectiles and all AOEs can be avoided with or without dodge.

Now how easy it is to avoid a very fast moving projectile is up for debate.  But let me leave with this.  Inside of 20 feet the person with the KNIFE wins against the person the gun more than 60% of the time.

Do you believe that is because people can dodge bullets?

Anticipation is the most important thing to dodging, not speed.  Anyone telling you GW2 is just like WoW because the projectiles move fast, frankly is a gabroni who plays like crap.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Your thinking of Tera not GW2.  NO shots take 90% of someone health or can 1 shot anything.  

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Tell me if i'm wrong, but it seam  like pretty much all the attack have some form of aoe, i don't know if all attacks are aoe and how much % are aoe exactly, but it seam like the vast majority does. So this is why positioning make a real difference, if you are out of the aoe or not. This is also why tab targeting doesn't really matter much at close combat at least, because you actually don't have to target an oponent to hit him, if he in inside the aoe of your skill, then he will get hit. So you have to use positioning both to hit and to not get hit.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by stragen001

Ahhh a useful answer..

Also, position is important for using combo attacks (not sure what the 'proper' name is) so that you can for instance fire arrows through fire to make fire arrows. 

Thirdly, although aggro works differently in GW2 to other games, you want to be in a position where you are less, or more likely to attract aggro, depending on what you are trying to do

Its not.  It has nothing to do with GW2.  

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Well sorry my knowledge of these things isn't as great as yours but I actually have spent quite a bit of time nerding out on youtube video's and the website looking at info for this game due to my anticipation for GW2, but thanks for your extremely helpful input as always.

So what made you ask the questions, are you trying to see it as the same as WoW or are you trying to find out why based on the videos people say position matters.

From experience you'll realize it's not like WoW, just think Tera without mouse clicking and without animation locks(Not a bad thing to people need it be many or some).

That's control wise, now after that look at the position of skills and why the position they are used at matters not to mention the need of cross skill usage. I.E ele lays down a line of fire and then a warrior can use whirlwind and send flame axes that cause fire damage to whom it comes in contact with.

It's not even subjective, which is unfortunate but pretty much if you don't use position  you won't be as effective as someone who does.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Originally posted by Adalwulff

Honest and constructive are not the same things.  The constructive thing to do is to give him a video link not tell you go find one.  He has already started searching for answer attempt to make his search shorter.

[Mod Edit]

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

This is an excellent, extended video with a good player showing proper use of skills and positioning. It's 30 minutes, if you choose to watch it and have any questions let me know.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/guild_wars_2/b/pc/archive/2012/04/13/guild-wars-2-video-preview.aspx

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by TheYear1500

Your thinking of Tera not GW2.  NO shots take 90% of someone health or can 1 shot anything.  

They are some mobs that seam to be able to one shot you or almost, i have seen some vid with that.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by Charlizzard

This is an excellent, extended video with a good player showing proper use of skills and positioning. It's 30 minutes, if you choose to watch it and have any questions let me know.

;) I already posted it, the vid anyways.

Originally posted by gestalt11

Honest and constructive are not the same things.  The constructive thing to do is to give him a video link not tell you go find one.  He has already started searching for answer attempt to make his search shorter.

[Mod Edit]

I didnt let people cheat off my homework in school, why should I do it now? There is nothing wrong with asking someone to do thier own homework.

If he did, he failed to relay that in his OP, it looked fuzzy to me.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

You can evade certain attacks and skills. Your position is also imperative when it comes to you and your allies as many skills affect only certain areas. Its also imporant to know when you are standing in the way of an enemy skill or when you want to mix and match friendly skills.

Originally posted by gestalt11

[Mod Edit]

The Op post specifically stated he watched video, he problably wanted someone to point him the real reason mechanism wise. In a video you can't really understand the mechanism of the game except if the guy playing is commenting about them, and explain you how it work. Most video don't do that.