Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where are the Tera Beta reviews?????

2»

Comments

• GanatharGanathar Member Posts: 143

Just try to get into beta rather than listen to all of the "unbiased reviews" here. If you can't get a key for the closed beta, try getting into the open beta once it starts.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Pocahinha

My short and aweet tera review for the OP.

Go to google and type in " f2p generic asian mmorpg" and there you have it, its the same review as every other.

P.S.  ok it has 2 differences, its not f2p you have to pay a monthly fee and actualy has good graphics and performance.

Actually you couldn't be further from the truth. See, the closest thing to Tera right now is going to be Raiderz, if you're in to F2P P2win systems. Otherwise you'll have to wait for Blade & Soul, which is still away in development. There is simply no other game like this out there. I don't consider single player or CooP games like Vindictus in the same league with a game that you can have 100vs100 or more battles with collision detection in an open world environment.

Artistically, yes, it shares certain characteristics with other fantasy themed mmorpgs that come from the east. But then again, pretty much all western themed mmorpgs share similar characteristics, only in this case people are used to call them wow clones.

The biggest difference than any other other game out there, including GW2, is that you can play the game without looking at the UI at all. Just looking at what happening in front of you and by activating abilities at the right moment, you can do great. You can even hide the UI (as long as you remember where you set your abilities) and it'll make little difference. When one action ends, when you need to activate the next is in front of you. No GCD, no ability spam, no waiting for abilities to go off CD etc. Healers don't have or can play the fill the health bar game either.

I do hope this type of gameplay is copied by others. We've been playing the UI for so long, I think most of us think it's impossible to play any other way.

One last thing. Mouse clickers and keyboard turners will hate this game.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

You have to play a game long enough to gather reveiew material. I found it to be the same old same old. The archer animations were like he was on speed or something and it just looked silly.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Have you played an ftp asian mmo before? Its the same only you have to buy the game.

Its boring. Many skills have cast times, even warrior types.

You have a basic attack that generates mana. In the case of the tank class its just thrustung a huge lance forward over and over. Once you have enough mana you can fire off your specials.

The male avatars look like members of a boy band, except the giant monster races, but I generally like to see what's in front of me. The elf male, looks down at his feet while the dark elf male looks up to the sky.

If you are a pedo then you will love this game. There is a race of all females that look like tiny little 6 year old girls wearing skippy clothes. They even skip when they move.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Dislike pc controls and combat mecanics not optimized for pc, not recomending this at launch. If the devs redo game for pc instead of Xbox then maybe.

I play on a PC and the combat controls are the best I've ever experienced. I find it hard to go back to the ol' tab target games. It's the first time since ever that I felt like I had total oontrol of my character and that I didnt' have to look down at my hotbar. Which is a good thing.

I think the issue here is that it's not that people are experiencing controls not optimised for pc  but rather they are not experiencing controls for the PC that they are used to.

Other than the open pvp and the great graphics, subjectively excellent art design, smooth game play, the quests are very generic though the mobs get very interesting depending on where you are in the wide open world.

If Players can get beyond the same old/same old questing and perhaps get more into the pvp part of the game then I think it will be reasonably successful.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • the_stickmanthe_stickman Member UncommonPosts: 34

It's a gorgeous game to look at.  Combat was fun for a time.  Felt like I was at the beginning of a long slow grind, however. I don't see me buying this one.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by the_stickman

It's a gorgeous game to look at.  Combat was fun for a time.  Felt like I was at the beginning of a long slow grind, however. I don't see me buying this one.

Just out of curiocity, where was the grind? A semi-hardcore like myself can hit level 30 easily in a weekend. THat's half way there. If anything, the game is too easy to level, they should have ramped the levelling difficulty at least four times minimum imho.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    TERA is a AAA quality MMO that has collected a ton of features from other MMOs up until now. The textures are bested only by FF14 though it is very high fantasy, personal preference will vary. It is a ! ? quest system and you'll get funneled through the first 20 levels. By this time you've only have seen a small part if the world map and from there you can choose different directions to go. The world is totally open outside of instances though there are channels to help with overpopulation during release. I'm hoping they take them away in time.

One main draw for me is that large portions of the world map is filled with various BAMs. These are like boss mobs with a handful of abilities intended for groups. This makes for an alternate way to progress and have fun with groups instead if just quest grinding. In fact I started testing last night just doing the main questline and hunting to reach the next step if it out levels me. It's been a nice change and the combat makes the process fun, there are too many regular quests to be honest.

TERA is a really great game IMO but you won't see the full potential yourself until 20+. This is seen as a mistake, which there are changes that can be made to ~20 but I think we're existing too much if we have to have it all levels 1-10. Too many reviews are from people that play one evening which isn't very helpful.

Try it for yourself, watch some videos and you'll enjoy it more than listening to the opinions on thus forum, even mine lol.

Just not worth my time anymore.

You can control the grind to a point, at least the method of grind. You can strictly do quests, level mob grinding or a combination. I like the flexibility.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by SephirothZer

It's a generic quest themepark MMO with watered down combat elements from vindictus. So far it's all a long quest chain. Combat abilities combo into eachother with prompts for spacebar. Mobs telegraph their moves and with most classes that means right-click to either dodge it or block it. It all gets old pretty quick.

So far Blade & Soul, from what i've played of it, beats it in every way. So I'm passing on Tera for GW2 and a US release of Blade and Soul.

Lol blade and soul was horrible -.- aside from the EPIC graphics and story the combat is basicaly tab target but instance of tab its face in its right direction and stand with in certain range and spam few keys and press block every now and than. Thought it was action combat try to dodge by literaly dodgin and lot good that did me. Love the running but other than that nothing lol.

Originally posted by Connmacart

Originally posted by rexzshadow

I say if anyone want to write review or impression of any kind do it after lvl 20 after you fought a BAM and did the first dungeon. Because until than you will always missed out key hook of this game. Yes having to get to lvl 20 to experience it is a fault of teh game, however by not getting to 20 and try it many of claims made are simpley wrong because you never reached it and you assume its not there.

That's a pretty big issue to be honest. Why should a game ever make you spend a day getting to a point before the fun starts.

The game should grab you right from the start and that's what Tera isn't doing for me. It feels like Aion 2.0 with updated combat system to me.

True, but 1-20 is the learning phase before they put you up against the challenges. Idk i think its the whole new generation of NOW. Where everyon attention span too short to do anything. Just like making a long form post full of well thought out ideas only to have people completely ignore it because its  "too" long even though it take you like 2-3mins to read.

This game is definally nothing mainstream but however it does statify lot of player who favor the more old school form of mmorpgs. Everyone complains about quest and such but you know what? To lot of people like the older style of mmorpg it doesn't mean shit. To most of us quest was almost none existant in those game, just having quest instead of pure grind is nice. (pesonally I like grinding if its well design get in a good mood.) So if you expect some huge innovation than pretty much good luck finding any game because no game is going to be as innovative as we want it to be. you can only change so much before the game stops been mmorpg.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by Siveria

Anyway to end my post/small rant, if you think Tera is going to really be any diffrent think again, is the game fun? kinda, its combat system makes killing things alot more fun, but other than that it really has nothing special, though it does offer more than swtor did, which honestly is not hard to do.

Agree with most of that post except being more fun that SWTOR. Depends if you're talking about PvE or PvP. SWTOR destroys Tera in terms of PvE. Tera's quests the same as WoWs. No one is going to sit there and read the quest text. Doing the quests in Tera almost felt like work. They are almost all kill X amount of something. SWTORs quests were much more interesting and involved, both in the character delivery and in the quest mechanics.

If you're more interested in PvP then Tera is probably for you. Better combat system, guild politics, territory claiming, better looking graphics.

I think I'll pass though, GW2 is on the horizon.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

This game is definally nothing mainstream but however it does statify lot of player who favor the more old school form of mmorpgs. Everyone complains about quest and such but you know what? To lot of people like the older style of mmorpg it doesn't mean shit. To most of us quest was almost none existant in those game, just having quest instead of pure grind is nice. (pesonally I like grinding if its well design get in a good mood.) So if you expect some huge innovation than pretty much good luck finding any game because no game is going to be as innovative as we want it to be. you can only change so much before the game stops been mmorpg.

It looks like the opposite. Tera has a very mainstream look and feel to it. There are some good things about old school MMOs. The world sizes, the exploration, the communities. And there are some bad things like Wall of Text quests, grinding, etc. 

Maybe Tera wanted to focus on other systems instead of their PvE. It's definitely the weakest part of the game. When you have a game with no subscription that has voice overs and dynamic quests (aka GW2) and other MMOs like SWTOR with voice overs but your MMO has static mobs lined up for a bunch of the same old kill quests with Walls of Text... then your MMO might be going free-to-play very soon. Unless the PvP really keeps people hooked.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Normike

It looks like the opposite. Tera has a very mainstream look and feel to it. There are some good things about old school MMOs. The world sizes, the exploration, the communities. And there are some bad things like Wall of Text quests, grinding, etc. 

Maybe Tera wanted to focus on other systems instead of their PvE. It's definitely the weakest part of the game. When you have a game with no subscription that has voice overs and dynamic quests (aka GW2) and other MMOs like SWTOR with voice overs but your MMO has static mobs lined up for a bunch of the same old kill quests with Walls of Text... then your MMO might be going free-to-play very soon. Unless the PvP really keeps people hooked.

PvE only weak about lvl 1-20 or so, after that you have much more lvl opions, the dungeon are challenging for once, and BAM have really nice AI. As you get to the 30 area mobs move faster and faster, i know many poeple experience many diffculty with regular mobs past 30+. So ya sorry but voice over and dynamic event aren't the only PvE out there. I love Tera dungeson and BAM it offers challenge but if your really good you can do them w/o the proper classes (lower lvl anyways, hardcore you don't have much of a choice)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The lack of gaming site reviews is concerning. Why aren't they talking about this game? We all know to take their reviews with a grain of salt (a bucket of salt in swtor's case), but there are no reviews at all about TERA.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Siveria

Other than the combat its bascally a generic mmorpg that looks pretty. Its really nothing special at all, the pvp I been told is fun since unlike wow its not based on who can circle straife faster and faceplant buttons. Friend told me about soome of his encounters, one was kinda epic he had 4 people trying to kill him and due to there being no auto-hit/lockon stuff, when they swung they usually hit her pet that is behind her, anyway long story short she ended up killing all 4 of them by herself, not because she was a oped class (she was a mystic which is bascally a healer/buiffer), but because she was just a better player and used the games mechanics to her advantage.

Apparently past lv 20 or so the npc enemies get a decent diffculty increase and people start to team up, this is where it differs from most korean mmo's, most mmo's from there are bascally single player games with a glorifed chat room.but other than that diff and the combat its the generic go from quest hub to quest hub on a string deal, at endgame you have pve raiding, and some guild vs guild pvp for control of land and such, where you can even move special shops etc in and get a cut of everything the npc shops sel. I just hope they don't go stupid and have seperate pvp gear, everyone should have to raid for their shit, don't cater to the very small pvp crowd and alienate the rest.

I never cared for pvp till I played Dark Age of Camelot, everyone had same gear, was the same level usually (cept in the battle grounds can be a 0-4 lv variance) so pvp was more based about yoru skill build and skill as a player, especally since for melee chars for example, their strongest attacks were always positionals like the side and back etc.Mages throws a fireball at you and your facing them with a shield u had about a 75% chance to block the fireball and take 0 damage. Fireballs were mages strongest attacks, but also the easiest to block, the rest are insta dd's that can't be blocked but are much weaker.

I've played mmo's for a long time and I have never had a smuch fun with pvp as I did in daoc, taking castles at max lv was fun as hell, because even the npc guards at the castle put up one hell of a fight, never mind the enemy factions players that usually show up.

Ever sicne world fo warcraft mmo's have been in a steady decline, they getting easier and easier, and alot less intersting, look at swtor for example, the game honestly is a piece of shit, you have 0 freedom at all except to follow the rails bioware has you on, not to mention its so generic its painfully boring. The classes were pretty much copy and pasted from world of warcraft and just given a star war's spin on them. A few decent mmo's have come and gone but th eonly one thats ever held my attention for more than 2-3 months have been daoc and final fantasy 11 before abyysea came out. I liked how FF11 was diffculty, I liked how your forced to work together to get stuff done at ALL levels, not just cap. Then abyysea came out and they bascally turned the game into crap, it lost the sense of accomplishment it used to have even from mundane things like leveling up. Now you can get from lv 1-99 in less than a day.

Anyway I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2, Phantasy Star Online 2, cuz they both don't appear to be the exact same generic garbage like swtor and rift that have been being made recently. SWTOR has like 1.7 mil subs but I bet you 90-95% of those subs are probally bioware or star wars fanboys, who'd not know a good game if it bit them in their senstive bits.

Anyway to end my post/small rant, if you think Tera is going to really be any diffrent think again, is the game fun? kinda, its combat system makes killing things alot more fun, but other than that it really has nothing special, though it does offer more than swtor did, which honestly is not hard to do.

Why the hell are you making a review when it obvious you never played the dam game....

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by bcbully

The lack of gaming site reviews is concerning. Why aren't they talking about this game? We all know to take their reviews with a grain of salt (a bucket of salt in swtor's case), but there are no reviews at all about TERA.

Open Beta is still going on and these characters are kept so time in game is better spent.  After Monday there will be a week to wait before Early Start so you'll see a lot more traffic.

Until then it's mostly potshots, trolls and "reviews" based on 15 minutes of play for the most part.  It's kind of amusing actually.

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

I'm up to level 14 as a baraka lancer.

9/10 - Graphics are very nice and IMO the world so far is nicely done with vibrant colors.

7/10 - Combat.  A break from the standard mold.  was getting some lag which had a bad delay in the combat speratically.

8/10 - Stability and Polish.  Granted KTera is a year old so they've had the time to get it better then most MMOs in OBeta.  I didn't run into any problems other then a bit of lag messing up the 'action combat'.

The Bad:

The questing I think killed it for me.  I'm gonna try to get to 20 but I'm about ready to start slamming my head in a door to relieve some pain.  The whole quest hub / kill 10x this just makes me want to start throwing computer parts out the window.  If I don't buy Tera, this will be the reason and maybe the only reason.

I think for those who like quest hubs Tera would be a great MMO.  IMO, a much better MMO then SWToR.

I also think that if it does open up after level 20 then it might redeem its earlier levels after a while.

I sure hope that developers soon learn to stay away from this overdone, boring, monotonous quest systems that killed the fun for me for Rift, SWToR, etc.

It's getting old.

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

I played a few different classes during the open beta - started with a slayer, after few levels switched to an archer, and after another few levels switched to mystic. I wanted to get the first feel for each class, hence the switching. I played mystic till around lvl14, timewise for about 10-ish (?) hours, doing all quests I encountered.

What I liked:

• Graphics. Just beautiful, same with character models. The game ran smoothly for me even at high settings, it was beautiful to play.

• Action-y combat. I loved the mobility, and the fact that - unlike in most other MMOs - I actually had a reason to move during combat.

What I did not like:

• Quests. Oh dear me, why did they have to go down this path. I must have done hundreds of "kill x mobs", I actually did not read a single quest. At lvl14, when I was killing the same mob for the third time for a different person, I got to the point of asking myself why I was doing it. It felt like a job. This was one of the major reasons why I will not play this game.

• Elin. Yes, I know the lore behind them. Yes, I've seen all the arguments along the lines of "if you think like that you're a pedophile". I personally find Elin morally unacceptable. The developers have intentionally created the character models to resemble girls in their single digit years. And, the developers have intentionally created very revealing armours and suggestive character animations for these character models. I keep having the feeling of "I really should not be looking at this". (Please do not bother to reply to this, this has been discussed at length, and I have no intention of replying to comments about this. I've stated my opinion and reasons, and let it be at that.)

• Locked in place during attacks/spells. Even though I did like the more action oriented combat, they should have just removed being locked in place entirely, from the beginning.

• Chat filter. Needs serious fixing. Since when have words like "bite", "cinnamon", "age" and "where are you guys from" been offensive? Especially when various names for (fe)male genitalia, or various words for masturbation, according to the filter, are not? This makes communication difficult, as random common words get turned into hashtags, sometimes the whole sentence gets stuck in filter.

• Armour. Or rather the lack of it on characters. I don't mind revealing armour as long as we have choice towards the other end of the spectrum as well. Here though, I essentially had to choose between a short nightgown and a shorter nightgown.

• Female running animations. Not major, but still annoying. The arms swing in an unnatural way, as if they were made of rubber, not bones and flesh.

There were few other minor things on both pros and cons, however the above were the main reasons why I ended up uninstalling the game before open beta was halfway through. A lot of people are saying that the game gets a lot better after lvl20, but to be honest, even getting to lvl14 felt like a job. I just could not keep going with the repetitive quests. If the game can't keep me interested enough to stick with it until it gets better, well... there's a lot of other games out there. This felt very similar to Aion, in many ways.

Either way, it's your staple MMO with somewhat more mobile combat. Definitely worth giving a try if you aren't worn out from the standard MMO questing fare. If you are looking for something different from what is considered the standard WoW-style MMO, I would not recommend the game.

My 2 cents.

(edit: animations)

Thanks for the take Nefera. The lock in place is a mode of contention because if you removed them you would have the same type of combat. Many factors speed things up but it's not in the beginning.

I'm tired of the standard hub questing but TERA has a main story to do and other than that doesn't require you do the other quests. Most games force you to quest through.

I meant wouldn't have the same combat. Man, iOS keyboard is just fail lol

• FuuManChew35FuuManChew35 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by tryklon

Played it yesterday, didnt like it really.

Graphically and aesthetically is the generic Asian MMo, sam old same old final fantasy/aion style.

The target system combat is awkward and makes the game feel a basic old dungeon grinder. The UI is oversized and doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the game.

UI is very customizable without mods. Options has a ui scaler bar you can slide to resize your UI so it isn't big. Yes questing is the same as usual. Great dungeons, BAM bosses takes skill to kill them.  Try to play a little more before you post. PvP will be very fun as well. I would suggest it to people if they want to ditch WoW. Very good replacement, lots to do.