Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something I'm caling "The Rebecca Black Effect"

dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

First, you need to go watch this video to understand what I'm talking about, I'll wait here for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HeE6NWmDE

Ok are you back? Ok, well I'm sorry that I had to put you through that. It was for science.

Now, this video is very clearly attempting to capitalize on the Internet fame and fortunes acquired by one Rebecca Black. I am not quite sure if the video is serious or trolling us, but either way I believe that this is just the first in a wave of many such online "music" videos that we will be forced to endure as time passes.

This "song" is clearly much worse than the video Friday, by Rebecca Black.  Was that intentional or are they really just that bad?

A podcast I listen to on friday showed this video with 12k views. Within three days it had acquired 1.5 million views. They are now selling their "song" on iTunes.  Surely they will make hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions off of this. 

I predict a string of these kinds of videos over the coming years. Each one will attempt to be worse than the last. The more people hate it, the better it will do.  

May God have mercy on our souls.

Shadow's Hand Guild
Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Chelwb6Ja4

this is the funnies Rebecca Black "Friday" parody imo.

and yes the video you linked was intentionally made to be that crappy. you can tell because the visual part of the video is very high quality while the music/singing is just horendous.

Rebecca Balck's "Friday" was not bad musically (there are thousand of very pupular songs that sound exactly like it), it only had incredibly banal and demented lyrics.  this is why teenagers singing sensations don't write their own lyrics, or music for that matter. they are just a pretty face and melodius voice but they are no writers, they are no composers.  

"Friday" was also seen by many as the perfect example of how demented and incredibly shallow the music industry is becoming. they are not even trying anymore.

as for more videos like these.....if it makes you laugh then why not?

• CallinCallin Member Posts: 99

first off.. WTF was that crap lol.

secondly. who cares. bad songs are bad for a reason.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

I was just thinking about how I'm happy it's Friday and yet annoyed at the same time because this stupid song manages to creep its way into my head. GET OUT! SHOO!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by MikeB

I was just thinking about how I'm happy it's Friday and yet annoyed at the same time because this stupid song manages to creep its way into my head. GET OUT! SHOO!

I think you didn't click the link... :)    This isn't the Friday video, it's something far more sinister.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by MikeB

I think you didn't click the link... :)    This isn't the Friday video, it's something far more sinister.

I didn't -- and now I'm afraid to. I also now need to because you've piqued my curiosity. I hate myself.

EDIT: I made it through about 10 seconds of it and this is how I now feel:

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I couldn't finish watching that crap but at least I found out about the cat alarm clock

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Originally posted by grunty

I couldn't finish watching that crap but at least I found out about the cat alarm clock

Haha. My girlfriend sent me that video yesterday. Thankfully my cat doesn't do this!

• awatts79awatts79 Member Posts: 7

I believe that this is just the first in a wave of many such online "music" videos that we will be forced to endure as time passes.

• Cathleen81Cathleen81 Member Posts: 12

I am not quite sure if the video is serious or trolling us, but either way I believe that this is just the first in a wave of many such online "music" videos that we will be forced to endure as time passes.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by grunty

Lol,cool cat.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

After seeing that, I am now a sad panda.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• danadanadanadana Member Posts: 3

I had the wisdom not to click on the "even worse than Rebecca Black" link, but I love the cat alarm clock! :P

Re: things worse than Rebecca Black: Yes, we are clearly all doomed.