Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight 2: Opening Cinematic Unleashed

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Well done runic for concentrating your efforts on the actual game.

They generally hire out for cinematics, you just need one person from Runic to story board it first.

Yeah and a butt-load of money that could be better spent on development of the actual game. CGI cinematics don't come cheap.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

I fell asleep

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I really hope the game was not delayed just for that, I also hope the game will be better than that, ...I'm putting on my Dale face!

...For frag's sake just release it already will 'ya, what are'ya waiting for?

• kaworu83kaworu83 Member Posts: 6

Epic Fail!!!

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I really hope much more effort went into the game than this trailer. This thing is horrible. Aren't trailers supposed to get you all excited about a game? This trailer fails miserably and it has the opposite effect.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by fivoroth

I really hope much more effort went into the game than this trailer. This thing is horrible. Aren't trailers supposed to get you all excited about a game? This trailer fails miserably and it has the opposite effect.

Its not a trailer, its the opening cinematic to the game.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225

well, kudos to the flash animator. impressive work for one guy.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

i don't see what's so bad about it.

given the majority of games lately have been trying to channel that awesome gw2 vid from a while back (i'm looking at you, blizzard with your blatant rip-off d3 video), i think it's refreshing not to see the word "painterly" and instead be thinking "cartoon network."

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

so many graphics fanbois here. :/

This looks awesome and atmospheric. Whats more, different.

I would rather have this art style for cinematic than pesky high-heeled demon-huntress running against things that look like they crawled out of world of warcraft.

This on other hand looks different. Has identity. has a soul. Unlike Blizz's newest diablocraft .

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Yuui

I would rather have this art style for cinematic than pesky high-heeled demon-huntress running against things that look like they crawled out of world of warcraft.

This on other hand looks different. Has identity. has a soul. Unlike Blizz's newest diablocraft .

You know what's funny? When Blizzard goes for more cartoony/artistic graphics, everybody cries that this game is 4 KIDZZ!! like there's no tomorrow. But when anyone else does it it's fine.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I didn't care for the cinematic.  BUT....I loved the first game and I'm pretty sure I'll love this one too.  I'm certainly NOT going to judge the game by a cinematic.  I mean if you judged games by cinematics.....SWTOR would have been the greatest game of all time.  Obviously we can't ACCURATELY judge a game by its cinematic trailers.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by just1opinion

I didn't care for the cinematic.  BUT....I loved the first game and I'm pretty sure I'll love this one too.  I'm certainly NOT going to judge the game by a cinematic.  I mean if you judged games by cinematics.....SWTOR would have been the greatest game of all time.  Obviously we can't ACCURATELY judge a game by its cinematic trailers.

:)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Torchlight 1 was a fun game, but this vid is just super lame.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Yuui

One man's "awesome and atmospheric" is another man's - cheaped and rushed.  You probably really would geek out over some stick men on the corner pages of a notepad as an intro cinematic.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

How does one jump to the conclusion that this would indicate they are somehow concentrating more on the game due to a lackluster cinematic?  I don't understand the logic behind that.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

People. It's not a trailer. It's an opening cinematic. If you don't know what's going on, then this video isn't for you. If you don't like the style, then you didn't like the style of the first game, and won't like the style of the second game, and so this isn't for you. If you didn't like it, fine, but seriously, stop whining because it isn't a hyping-up trailer.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

The graphics remind me of Samurai Jack, so they kinda appeal to me :)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Leodious

People. It's not a trailer. It's an opening cinematic. If you don't know what's going on, then this video isn't for you. If you don't like the style, then you didn't like the style of the first game, and won't like the style of the second game, and so this isn't for you. If you didn't like it, fine, but seriously, stop whining because it isn't a hyping-up trailer.

I love the little fact that people complain when developers spend too much time and resources to create CGI trailers that don't reflect the actual gameplay at all and then they turn around and complain when developers don't do it either. There are plenty of actual gameplay videos for this game out there already. This is just the opening cinematic of the game... something you'll likely watch once and never again. This has absolutely nothing to do with the actual quality of the game itself. Some of the best games I've played in the past have had little to no opening cinematics. I'm not trying to say Torchlight 2 will be great but judging the entire game from an opening cinematic is just plain silly.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

This comes on right after Ben Ten on Nick Jr. it's awesome!  And I'm seven.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

for those w interest, can see gameplay footage from PaxEast

http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2012/video.html?sid=6370555

• RLSekulichRLSekulich Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by Nadia

for those w interest, can see gameplay footage from PaxEast

http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2012/video.html?sid=6370555

Very cool, thank you.  That's what I was wanting to see. :)

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

this games going to be better then  diablo :3 there waiting  until awhile after diablo is released to release  torchlight 2

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by Vorthanion

How does one jump to the conclusion that this would indicate they are somehow concentrating more on the game due to a lackluster cinematic?  I don't understand the logic behind that.

youve got X amount of cash and Y amount of  time to spend on your game - do you spend a great big wack of it on trailers, essentially marketing (cough bioware) or do you spend less on things that dont really improve the quality of the game so you can spend more on the game itself.

• considebaltconsidebalt Member Posts: 26

I want to get my hands on this game to decide between it and Diablo 3

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

That was extremely unimpressive.  

But I guess what matters is how the game plays, and how fun it is.  Swtor had an absolutely AMAZING opening cinematic.  Take that as you will.