Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Roblox: Tapping Into Kids' Creativity

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Roblox is a game that has been around since 2006 and has given kids an unprecedented ability to create and share their own 3D virtual worlds all packaged up in a kid-safe environment. Specifically targeted at the 8-14 crowd, Roblox has a lot to offer. See what Game Hopper thinks and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Roblox is a fun way to stretch tween minds with the ability to build and create their own gaming environments using “blox”. In some ways, it’s a junior version of games like Minecraft and any of the Lego building games. Allowing kids free rein on their creativity is always a good thing.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Roblox: Tapping Into Kids' Creativity.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ronnabronnab Member UncommonPosts: 29

I have to agree - my kids love Roblox and have for quite a while now.  They're ages 8, 10 & 12 (two girls & one boy).

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

did they ever get control configuration and proper mouselook into this game?

game looked quite interesting, but i couldn't get comfortable enough to really play it.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Seen a friends kids play it, I was not impressed, I did not see anyone building anything, they just run around shooting each other.  But they do seem to like the game.  They are 7 and 9.  I rather doubt anyone over 12 would find it interesting though.

then again, you have no idea why somebody would wanna play a virtual world shooter.

Corpus Callosum    

• AnonymousguyAnonymousguy Member Posts: 2

As a 14 year old who plays ROBLOX, I find the game very amusing and entertaining. I enjoy the creative environment that taught me many things, such as basic architecture and computer coding. ROBLOX offers a wide variety of games and building options that would keep you playing for a while. I'd reccomend ROBLOX to any new player that are looking for something new to try out. 

• AnonymousguyAnonymousguy Member Posts: 2

@corpusc ;

Yes, ROBLOX did put those features in, a while ago. 

• spratface4spratface4 Member Posts: 1

@ Ozmodan 

They can build and play 

Building : They eiter build with a basic stamper tool which is where you build 5x5x5 blocks and put in stufflike furiture or use something called roblox studio

Playing: they play what other peoplebuild

Originally posted by Anonymousguy

@corpusc ;

Yes, ROBLOX did put those features in, a while ago. 

while it does look like they improved mouselook, you still can't invert it.

and unless its really hidden or something there is absolutely no way to reconfigure you keyboard.

Corpus Callosum    

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by spratface4

@ Ozmodan 

They can build and play 

Building : They eiter build with a basic stamper tool which is where you build 5x5x5 blocks and put in stufflike furiture or use something called roblox studio

Playing: they play what other peoplebuild

I was not disputing that you can build neat things in the game, just saying that all the kids I see playing it don't.

• Henix879Henix879 Member Posts: 1

"In some ways, it’s a junior version of games like Minecraft and any of the Lego building games."

Comparing ROBLOX to LEGO games? That's fine. But comparing it to MINECRAFT is just wrong. Minecraft is a cube game. No spheres. No cylinders. Just. Cubes. ROBLOX, on the other hand, has wedges, spheres, cylinders, YOU NAME IT, they have it. And that's just naming the most obvious differences. For instance, Minecraft is in Java, while ROBLOX is in C++.

FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE, ROBLOX AND MINECRAFT ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES. Yes, they have similarities, but that doesn't mean they're comparable. It's like comparing Minecraft and Terraria. Again- Two completely different games. Java versus C#, 3D versus 2D, Survival versus adventure, and so on. So for god's sake, people, STOP COMPARING MINECRAFT AND ROBLOX.