Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have Blizzard lost their touch ?

Comments

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

D3 is a decent game.

It's hard to surpass legendary, which is way Blizzard needs to move on to other IPs before they keep releasing sequals that will inevitably disappoint

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

I'm sorry guys, but I have to strongly disagree with most of the people on this thread, and agree w/ only a few.

First, I strongly disagree that Diablo 3 is anything but a masterpiece. Now, before d/l'ing and playing the beta yesterday, I really wasn't excited at all for this game. Why? B/c it's an ARPG, I've played hundreds of them and had gotten really bored with the whole genre. I didn't think anything could be done to bring me back to it. But I was wrong. Now, to be honest, I haven't seen anything in the game that is groundbreaking, or moves the genre forward by leaps and bounds. But, and this is a BIG BUT (excuse the pun), it is alot of FUN. And when we get right down to it, what else does a game need to be? It's fun, and that's enough for me.

Now, for the things I do agree with in this thread (and I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but oh well, I have to call a duck a duck....).

It's been obvious for a long while now, but never more so then today, that nothing, NOTHING, is ever going to satisfy the people that troll these forums. There are a lot of very intelligent people here, that express their thoughts and desires very well, but a lot of these people also seem to have gotten very bitter and I don't think anything will ever satisfy this lot. I understand opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one, and is entitled to their own, and express their thoughts and feelings however they like. But I have also come to the conclusion that many people here seem to have become frustrated w/ games as a whole.

My thoughts on the bitterness that lurks in these forums are that this was caused by the disapointment that the MMO market has become after all the promise it held early on. I mean, I still dream about recapturing the wonder and excitment of those first few months of logging into EQ back in the day, but, I've come to the conclusion it's just not going to happen. I haven't held a sub to an MMO for about 2 years now, since I left EQ2. And I miss it, terribly. But I haven't let that turn me bitter on all games. Not every game needs to be as immersive, or groundbreaking, as those early MMO's felt, and if you expect that out of every game you play, you're always going to be disapointed. 

I don't know, I could be way off the mark here, and I'm sure people will say that I am. But that's how it seems to me, and again, everyone has an opinion, and everyone likes what they like. All I'm saying is that maybe people need to take a step back.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by teddyboy420

I'm sorry guys, but I have to strongly disagree with most of the people on this thread, and agree w/ only a few.

First, I strongly disagree that Diablo 3 is anything but a masterpiece. Now, before d/l'ing and playing the beta yesterday, I really wasn't excited at all for this game. Why? B/c it's an ARPG, I've played hundreds of them and had gotten really bored with the whole genre. I didn't think anything could be done to bring me back to it. But I was wrong. Now, to be honest, I haven't seen anything in the game that is groundbreaking, or moves the genre forward by leaps and bounds. But, and this is a BIG BUT (excuse the pun), it is alot of FUN. And when we get right down to it, what else does a game need to be? It's fun, and that's enough for me.

Now, for the things I do agree with in this thread (and I know I'm going to be flamed for this, but oh well, I have to call a duck a duck....).

It's been obvious for a long while now, but never more so then today, that nothing, NOTHING, is ever going to satisfy the people that troll these forums. There are a lot of very intelligent people here, that express their thoughts and desires very well, but a lot of these people also seem to have gotten very bitter and I don't think anything will ever satisfy this lot. I understand opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one, and is entitled to their own, and express their thoughts and feelings however they like. But I have also come to the conclusion that many people here seem to have become frustrated w/ games as a whole.

My thoughts on the bitterness that lurks in these forums are that this was caused by the disapointment that the MMO market has become after all the promise it held early on. I mean, I still dream about recapturing the wonder and excitment of those first few months of logging into EQ back in the day, but, I've come to the conclusion it's just not going to happen. I haven't held a sub to an MMO for about 2 years now, since I left EQ2. And I miss it, terribly. But I haven't let that turn me bitter on all games. Not every game needs to be as immersive, or groundbreaking, as those early MMO's felt, and if you expect that out of every game you play, you're always going to be disapointed. 

I don't know, I could be way off the mark here, and I'm sure people will say that I am. But that's how it seems to me, and again, everyone has an opinion, and everyone likes what they like. All I'm saying is that maybe people need to take a step back.

I kinda agree with this guy.

I don't think it's a masterpiece but after playing it, I kinda want to get it now, after previously not giving a damn about it.

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

On this forum?  You are asking too much mate.  Everyone is a game developer/designer on MMORPG.com, you should know that :)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Lobotomist

This is something that really has to be asked.

Diablo is legendary game franchise. Probably one of most popular ones on PC.

Even if the game is not more that decent, diablo 3 would be bought by millions of people.

Blizzard is brimming with money and talent. And I dont doubt huge budgets were invested in this one...

What can go wrong after all ?

I think unbelivable has happened. Blizzard is about to release their first bad game ( i am not counting WOW expansions)

What happened ?

Did all the talents leave Blizzard ?

Its really hard to answer this one...

Nope. Most people love Diablo 3. It's the people on these forums that hate everything that has anything to do with Blizzard. It is blind hate. Diablo 3 will be amazing.

MMORPG.com is the place where 99% of the Blizzard haters reside. So many people are excited about the game and are loving it but here on MMORPG you will only see like 5 people who don't blindly hate on the game.

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Just a bunch of PoE fanboys trying to make D3 look bad.

trivialize people w negative opinions as you like

but you dont need to be a fan of something else to have criticisms

personally the beta didnt convince me to buy a 60.00 game

but a rumored starter version is expected for Diablo3 too - which will hopefully give more gameplay than this beta did

The game is very cheap. It is 27 pounds which is 40 dollars. Compared to other rip-off games..cough..GW2....cough

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I smell Activision here. It is never a good sign when the lead designer rage-quit a few months before launch, it seems like the publishers have been asking for too many changes.

But I don't think this game would be considered bad if they didn't put the Diablo name on it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Jason2444

D3 is a decent game.

It's hard to surpass legendary, which is way Blizzard needs to move on to other IPs before they keep releasing sequals that will inevitably disappoint

Well said.

That is really the core of the thing, it is not a bad game but a lousy Diablo.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by fivoroth

Even if the game is not more that decent, diablo 3 would be bought by millions of people.

Blizzard is brimming with money and talent. And I dont doubt huge budgets were invested in this one...

I think unbelivable has happened. Blizzard is about to release their first bad game ( i am not counting WOW expansions)

What happened ?

Nope. Most people love Diablo 3. It's the people on these forums that hate everything that has anything to do with Blizzard. It is blind hate. Diablo 3 will be amazing.

MMORPG.com is the place where 99% of the Blizzard haters reside. So many people are excited about the game and are loving it but here on MMORPG you will only see like 5 people who don't blindly hate on the game.

Not true. I know plenty of folks who were invited to the beta and know nothing of this website, and weren't really impressed with D3 at all. I played both D1-D2 and LoD back in the day and had a blast and  I had high hopes for D3 and after playing it found it not  all that exciting, again that had nothing to do with these forums. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it, but many will find it's just another game in a sea of ordinary.  The only reason I saw this thread is because it was highlighed on the home page.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

The coming of Panda's brings a feeling of such doom over me it defies rational explanation.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Epicent

What is so bad about the game. I've played beta and I think its a really fun game to pick up and play with a friend or 2. I dont understand how it is bad. Please explain to me why everyone thinks its bad.

Good...well it depends on what your standards are.

If you like to turn your brain off while playing. I guess this is perfect game for you.

But without even entering any argument. Lets just say that its far, far shallower than D1 or D2. And probably the shallowest H&S game ever made

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by fivoroth

That magic 8 ball of yours is AMAZING. Woah! I mean, I've been all over forums from this one to Gamespot to WoW's forums and back and there seems to be more people pissed than there are happy, but I mean clearly, because you said "most people", you know something everyone else doesn't. That mental link to the majority of gamers must give you such rich insight.

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Just a bunch of PoE fanboys trying to make D3 look bad.

The game is very cheap. It is 27 pounds which is 40 dollars. Compared to other rip-off games..cough..GW2....cough

I agree! It's also totally valid to compare a console style rpg with an MMO that will have constantly growing content and multiplayer, persistant worlds. Definitely. I totally think they should just ditch the standard-price box sub entirely and go with a monthly fee! I mean sure, in about 6 months of 14.99 each I'd end up paying almost twice what I would for what is effectively a lifetime sub, but that's okay! This is the gamer-sphere, logic need not apply! Woo!

In all seriousness, for me I'd have been fine with several of the things people are complaining about. Stats were nice but let's be honest, people made cookie cutter builds and pretty much used the same stats for specific builds to stay competitive. What I don't like is everything else, the class trees, the loss of ambiance, the change in style and aesthetic, the rmt auction house (although I could get over that, since I'm not big on multiplayer beyond just playing with friends), etc etc. The game as others said, on its own, is fine. The problem is people have been waiting for years for a DIABLO game, and this doesn't feel like one. They should have given it a new name since they so clearly wanted to go in a new direction, and left well enough alone with Diablo.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

What is so bad about the game. I've played beta and I think its a really fun game to pick up and play with a friend or 2. I dont understand how it is bad. Please explain to me why everyone thinks its bad.

If you like to turn your brain off while playing. I guess this is perfect game for you.

But without even entering any argument. Lets just say that its far, far shallower than D1 or D2. And probably the shallowest H&S game ever made

In all fairness I'd say its hard to tell from only the 10 or so lvls you get to see in the D3 beta. By lvl 10 9ie roughly when you kill the Skeleton king) you will only have unlocked 1-2 runes and 5 or 6 skills. Also you have only barely scratched at thwe loot drops at that level.

However i can understand wanting more so shall i point you to Grimdawns kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

GrimDawn is being made by some of the people that made Titan Quest one of the deepest H&S games evert made

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I dont think its fair to say that people who enjoy the D3 beta have lesser standards

Ive seen worse hack and slash from indie publishers

id rather see the retail release of D3 before judging the game to be shallow

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

D1 & D2 required brain to play? Rofl

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

I do not think Blizzard lost there touch. That's just my opinion though.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Very good post. And yeah, theres probably a bunch of jaded, dissapointed vets around on this site.

What you said about D3 though is probably spot on and likely to be the root of the "conflict" over this game: there seems to be nothing clearly new, special or "move-the-genre-forward-ish" about this game.

But some people who play it/look at it/read about it end up being bitten by the intangible Fun-Bug, thus its FUN for those people. For the people who doesnt catch the Fun-Bug though, it looks/plays kinda standardish and doesnt really seem special in any way.

Really, the "its just fun" argument is not at all a useful argument on a forum because it really says nothing, unless you know the persons taste in games and it happens to match your own 4 times of 5 (or doesnt match 4 of 5 times, which would be useful too for making a decision image).

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Mephster

Blizzard knows mmos and rts games. They should just stick with that.

LOL.

Diablo 2 is the best that action RPG ever produced.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I think unbelivable has happened. Blizzard is about to release their first bad game ( i am not counting

Exactly how much of the full game have you played to make this assesment?

People here worship TL as a good game and now you're saying D3 will be a BAD game?

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by Remains

Very good post. And yeah, theres probably a bunch of jaded, dissapointed vets around on this site.

What you said about D3 though is probably spot on and likely to be the root of the "conflict" over this game: there seems to be nothing clearly new, special or "move-the-genre-forward-ish" about this game.

But some people who play it/look at it/read about it end up being bitten by the intangible Fun-Bug, thus its FUN for those people. For the people who doesnt catch the Fun-Bug though, it looks/plays kinda standardish and doesnt really seem special in any way.

Really, the "its just fun" argument is not at all a useful argument on a forum because it really says nothing, unless you know the persons taste in games and it happens to match your own 4 times of 5 (or doesnt match 4 of 5 times, which would be useful too for making a decision image).

I'll tell ya what's fun, using the barbarian ability that blasts stuff to the moon when you kill it, lol.

• xenptxenpt Member Posts: 430

I just don´t like the toonish graphics but the content history is there.

I also think they lostt the dark touch on the game its kinda like TOR

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

What happened ?

I did not like diablo series earlyer and I dont think I will like Diablo3 either,but I think it looks and feels just like Diablo did the few houres I played the earlyer series. Did you expect a game like world of warcraft with diablo name? For me the game looks like diablo 1 but with more quests,well I was not a fan of those games and probobly never will.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    250k concurrent users right now. D3 is popular that's for sure.
  • Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

For me its a letdown. The main reason being you have little stat customisation.

So what if I want a Mage with crap loads of strength, yeah it may not work well but its a nice challenge and its "MY CHOICE" - I so hate being forced to play games the way the developers ideas of how they should be played are...may aswell just watch a damn movie.

This is the same with most games over the last decade, no choice - for me makes a bland boring experience.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

About the price: It's actually €6 more then Guild Wars 2 at Amazon.de

About the game: It's not a "bad" game, it just doesn't get me excited at all. It will be fun for a while, but i certainly won't be it at release unless something major changes. I am not even sure what exactly needs changing, but it just doesn't feel right.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I don't think they have lost their touch at all. It's a very fun game so far in the beta, I don't understand why most people have to find fault in everything. I'm enjoying it and that's all that really matters though isn't it? If people enjoy it, then it's a good release. If they didn't then whatever, they don't have to play it.