Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGE Anger?

Comments

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

wtb a roll back server

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by RefMinor

Can I just throw in this quote as it sums up all of the genres ills (and society's too). I want to keep this LucasArts quote alive.

"We really just needed to make the game a lot more accessible to a much broader player base," said Nancy MacIntyre, the game's senior director at LucasArts. "There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."

Wow..i just realized how this quote destroys any creativity in gameplay and describes something i reallydont want to be involved with.

What i always remembered was the "too much reading" and "not being the moisture farmer part", but it has tonsof more evil anti humanity stuff connected to it.

"much broader player base" - ok lets forgt about it. 

"lots of reading" - reading is the most important ability in human education.

"wandering around learning about different abilities" - another key ability of humanity, curiosity and exloring things out of curiosity while gaining experience.

"being Han Solo".."then.. being..the moisture farmer"  - so being like a ape and live someone else life instead of  establish and recogninse your own achievements and playstyles and creativity.

"more instant gratification:kill, get tresure,repeat" - more of an ape ...now in a skinner box

"what they have seen in movies" .."rather what they created themselves"  - because what you create yourself is no value and instead be an  "iconic" ape with no personality that has nothing valuable to contribute and just live in a skinner box do crap stuff and getting pat on the had for it.

I am so glad i wasn't part of this fascistic like virtual world  Nancy wanted to throw us in and if there are parents looking at what type of game Nancy propagandise here for, wouldn't you rather want your kid to be part of the OPPOSITE ?

PS : RefMinor  Many thanks for saving  it ! we absolutely need to send it to Nancy's current employer, she worksalot with kids and educational stuff i heard and her Boss NEEDS to know such quotes of her.

I am totally sympathetic to what you are saying, but DO YOU THINK HER BOSS CARES? He hired her because of this attitude, probably.

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by kobie173

Originally posted by Yanshee

TOR fanbois can delude themselves all they wish, but they got a far inferior game in every respect than SWG was in its very worse days.

HAHAHA That's pretty funny. SWTOR is FAR superior to any iteration of SWG after 11-15-05, hands down.

I suppose it depends what you're into...if you like your hand held as you cross the street to get your McDonalds then I'm sure it's a great game...

rofl..

Damn dude.. that was almost as bad, and funny as a jedi getting gank-pawned at the Restuss starport by a Spai...

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Originally posted by Obraik

TOR fanbois can delude themselves all they wish, but they got a far inferior game in every respect than SWG was in its very worse days.

HAHAHA That's pretty funny. SWTOR is FAR superior to any iteration of SWG after 11-15-05, hands down.

I suppose it depends what you're into...if you like your hand held as you cross the street to get your McDonalds then I'm sure it's a great game...

rofl..

Damn dude.. that was almost as bad, and funny as a jedi getting gank-pawned at the Restuss starport by a Spai...

Got a ROFL from me too.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

This. The NGE was pure garbage. I gave it a go a couple of times but it finally got to the point that it was embaraassing to log in. Seeing a game that you use to enjoy being reduced to a cash grab with few people playing is depressing.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by ktanner3

This. The NGE was pure garbage. I gave it a go a couple of times but it finally got to the point that it was embaraassing to log in. Seeing a game that you use to enjoy being reduced to a cash grab with few people playing is depressing.

Same thing can be said for SWTOR.

That is just a money grab plain and simple. It is not even a MMO, but a single player game with multiplayer options that you pay a monthly fee for.

I do not know what SWTOR has that makes you want to keep playing it, after hitting 50, there is simply nothing to do

Originally posted by superniceguy

Sure you could say that, but you'd look foolish.

That is just a money grab plain and simple. It is not even a MMO, but a single player game with multiplayer options that you pay a monthly fee for.

Funny as I group far more in this game than I ever have.

I do not know what SWTOR has that makes you want to keep playing it, after hitting 50, there is simply nothing to do

And I never saw what was so great about the NGE, but then again I've never expected everyone else to have the same tastes as me.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

And I never saw what was so great about the NGE, but then again I've never expected everyone else to have the same tastes as me.

You mention grouping, I can say you had numerous different reasons to group in SWG compared to SWTOR. Even in the NGE.

SWTOR is a single player game with some coop features. Why not make ONE common fleet for all servers and treat servers as instances. You should not see any difference compared with today since you as a player leave non whatsoever mark on the server you live in.

I hate the NGE and all it stands for, but in this case I have to agree with superniceguy.

Would not look foolish at all. Paying to carry on playing after 50 is more foolish, and it is not just my opinion. Bioware would not be giving out free months to people who had a level 50 character, if people who reached 50 were not quitting. The opinion is widespread.

SOE never gave out this much free time. SWTOR has free weekends, free 7 days, free 7 days for up 25 people from active players, free 30 days to people with level 50 chars, all within the last month.

SWTOR is failing harder than SWG (or even the NGE) ever did!

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Would not look foolish at all. Paying to carry on playing after 50 is more foolish, and it is not just my opinion. Bioware would not be giving out free months to people who had a level 50 character, if people who reached 50 were not quitting. The opinion is widespread.

SOE never gave out this much free time. SWTOR has free weekends, free 7 days, free 7 days for up 25 people from active players, free 30 days to people with level 50 chars, all within the last month.

It is so sad... and funny all at the same time.  Wonder if that clone wars kid game will last longer then SWTOR at this point.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Thanks for the laugh. Get back to me if TOR drops to 100k subs and pulls the plug.

I'm also curious why you always have to bring up TOR when discussing SWG ? Did Bioware come by and crap in your cereal or are you incapable of discussing one without the other?

Thanks for the laugh. Get back to me if TOR drops to 100k subs and pulls the plug.

I'm also curious why you always have to bring up TOR when discussing SWG ? Did Bioware come by and crap in your cereal or are you incapable of discussing one without the other?

It will not be too long before it is under 100k at the rate of decline, and thanks to Biowares 30 day promotion people will be near the end of the game sooner now.  Subs will start to drop faster after April 22nd. Not many people find the game worth playing after level 50, or find it worthwhile creating loads of alts.

For the sake of the game, they should have granted the 30 days to people who have subbed since day 1, and then people who quit in January, and return in March, like myself, would not qualify for the free 30 days. Also if they did that then people would less likely quit, as would not want to lose out on free 30 days, but now even newcomers will rush to max level to qualify for any other future promotions. This promotion says "Not max level, then you lose out on promotions" Being max level is a game killer and people just quit. So much for people taking things slower eh?

The OP is about SWG > SWTOR, that is why I bring up SWTOR here:

"TOR fanbois can delude themselves all they wish, but they got a far inferior game in every respect than SWG was in its very worse days."

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by Thunderous

2 guys in SOE's basement playing with flight code...  That about sums up why atmospheric flight was buggy as hell, like every other update to this game.

Exactly! Just like everything else they had released the last 3-4 years. Buggy, beta, cheap...SOE gave up on SWG after Hoth.

So...how's ToR going for ya Mate?

Quite well, thank you for asking! The guild is growing, PvE is challenging, PvP is booming and I never have nearly enough time to do all the things I'd like to do.

Did you hear, they sold 2 MILLION boxes and retained 1.7 MILLION of them. Pretty impressive huh?!

This guy is clearly not playing SWTOR everything he said is false.....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

"TOR fanbois can delude themselves all they wish, but they got a far inferior game in every respect than SWG was in its very worse days."

Are you blind? This was the OP...

I know a lot of people liked the professions pre-NGE but to be honest, I still felt SWG was one of the best MMOs out there even afterwards. I enjoyed the star wars universe and the epic player created towns.

Even servers that were dying (my own server of radiant) managed to keep GCW battles and pvp active everyday up to a few months ago.

I had a lot of fun and I know towards the end they were adding in a lot of content that they had been preparing.

A lot of NGE haters definitely missed out on a great star wars experience. 

The OP was about the NGE , not TOR. Take your TOR butthurt  some place else.

It will not be too long before it is under 100k at the rate of decline, and thanks to Biowares 30 day promotion people will be near the end of the game sooner now.  Subs will start to drop faster after April 22nd. Not many people find the game worth playing after level 50, or find it worthwhile creating loads of alts.

For the sake of the game, they should have granted the 30 days to people who have subbed since day 1, and then people who quit in January, and return in March, like myself, would not qualify for the free 30 days. Also if they did that then people would less likely quit, as would not want to lose out on free 30 days, but now even newcomers will rush to max level to qualify for any other future promotions. This promotion says "Not max level, then you lose out on promotions" Being max level is a game killer and people just quit. So much for people taking things slower eh?

Are you blind? This was the OP...

I know a lot of people liked the professions pre-NGE but to be honest, I still felt SWG was one of the best MMOs out there even afterwards. I enjoyed the star wars universe and the epic player created towns.

Even servers that were dying (my own server of radiant) managed to keep GCW battles and pvp active everyday up to a few months ago.

I had a lot of fun and I know towards the end they were adding in a lot of content that they had been preparing.

A lot of NGE haters definitely missed out on a great star wars experience. 

The OP was about the NGE , not TOR. Take your TOR butthurt  some place else.

Not the OP of the thread, the OP of the quoted post. If this was a new post, and not quoted from

then you would have a point. My comments are based from  "TOR fanbois can delude themselves all they wish, but they got a far inferior game in every respect than SWG was in its very worse days."

and what follows, not the OP of the thread.

I am not butthurt about TOR. It is blatantly obvious it is failing hard, which you can not accept, which makes you the butthurt one. You have no interest in SWG yet you come in here days later and out of the blue and stir things up. I would not have posted anything if you had not done yesterday. I will get plenty out of SWTOR before it shuts down, even if it is at the end of this year, as there is not much to get out of it.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by sinjin

2 guys in SOE's basement playing with flight code...  That about sums up why atmospheric flight was buggy as hell, like every other update to this game.

Exactly! Just like everything else they had released the last 3-4 years. Buggy, beta, cheap...SOE gave up on SWG after Hoth.

Quite well, thank you for asking! The guild is growing, PvE is challenging, PvP is booming and I never have nearly enough time to do all the things I'd like to do.

Did you hear, they sold 2 MILLION boxes and retained 1.7 MILLION of them. Pretty impressive huh?!

If this is the Tux I think it is...he is a former SW:G Player Senator that (I'll admit) was very rabid in fixing what was screwed up in SW:G...but went too far with expressing it in the wrong way and was finally banned from the Forums...

Ever since that point...Tux has been ballz to the wallz for any of the new games to come out that would be the Big SW:G Killer and then ToR.

Ironic that ToR was the reason SW:G was shut down by LA...and not a lack of Population or SOE primary decision that it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Amusing to me that ToR is dying faster than a snowball on a lit grill.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

If this is the Tux I think it is...he is a former SW:G Player Senator that (I'll admit) was very rabid in fixing what was screwed up in SW:G...but went too far with expressing it in the wrong way and was finally banned from the Forums...

Ever since that point...Tux has been ballz to the wallz for any of the new games to come out that would be the Big SW:G Killer and then ToR.

That has got to be the funniest statement I've ever read on this site. NGE was never a big fish. It was nothing more than a piss ant  in a big pond. It was a shadow of what SWG was. That's why most of us refuse to call the NGE SWG. NGE is all it deserves.

Ironic that ToR was the reason SW:G was shut down by LA...and not a lack of Population or SOE primary decision that it just wasn't worth it anymore.

You NGE fanboys are amusing. You are incapably of discussing SWG without taking a swipe at TOR. Heres's a newsflash, TOR isn't going anywhere for a long time. Deal with it. Now stop derailing threads with your butthurt TOR hate.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

That utterly ridiculous.

SWG was complete and total shit for the last six years. Just garbage. SWTOR is better in all respects except two. Space and crafting. That's it.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Except its not. You anti-TOR liars will say anything to justify your hate. Liar liar liar.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I suppose a game that lives on this site, must mean its not really dead. I mean, it would be crazy to harp on something dead... Wouldn't it?

I self identify as a monkey.

That has got to be the funniest statement I've ever read on this site. NGE was never a big fish. It was nothing more than a piss ant  in a big pond. It was a shadow of what SWG was. That's why most of us refuse to call the NGE SWG. NGE is all it deserves.

SWTOR is a shadow of what the NGE was. There are so many features missing in SWTOR that SWG had

SWG had 32 professions, NGE had 9 professions (~or 12 if count the Trader profs individually), SWTOR has 8 professions

SWTOR has dumbed down space and crafting, no beast master (or CH / BE), no player cities / housing, no mission creator tool, no multiplayer vehicles, no atmostpheric flight. The worlds are just as restrictive as the Musty and Kash planets added with the CU and NGE.

If you did not like the NGE, then I do not understand why you like SWTOR.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

No, not really. If they sold 3 million and retained 1.7 million then  perhaps, and did not state that the quarterly report was for the quarter ending Dec 31st 2011

More like 1/6 never activated the game. I bought 3 copies, and only activated one (now cancelled), which is part of the 1.7 million, and the other two are part of the 0.3 million. So 33% of my purchase of SWTOR subbed, and 66% has not yet subbed, but still all part of the overall 2 million

Considering the game was supposed to be a sure fire hit, and EA were worried of selling too many copies and said they were going to halt distribution until population died down, which never happened by the way (not enough people bought it and populations are dropping), shops have still be selling the game, and resellers for profit have been unable to sell the game for a profit.

1/6 of people not activating the game and those cancelling does not compute. The figure is also stated to be for the quarter ending Dec 31st. Everybody was subscribed on Dec 31st, as it was a requirement of activating the game. I even tried immediately cancelling the subscription as soon as activating but it failed, as days before sub was up for renewal, it was still active and ready to take payment, then I successfully cancelled subscription, so for the entire month (about 28 days) the account was active when I thought it was inactive. 

The "in a little over one month" is more likely just meaning for the 2milliion sold, not the 1.7 as it contradicts with "Electronic Arts Inc. EA -4.37% today announced preliminary financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011"

1/6 of people not activating the product yet seems more likely than 1/6 cancelling subscriptions.

With the way the game has been designed, and people are hitting 50 fast, and Bioware not able to keep up with demand, the game does not look to have a bright future. It is only healthy atm, as people are still not 50, but even those who are playing casually are at 30/40 now, and I played LOTRO hard when it first released and did not even hit 10 within the first month.

Link to that 3mil number(just out of curiosity)?  From what i read it was something like 2.2 mil in beta followed by that 1.7 mil in their quarterly.  Can't remember seeing a link to any actual subscription numbers anywhere that didn't include the initial free month at the time of the games release.  Meaning my interpritation is that they had over 2 mil beta testers(i.e. pre orders) and if u consider the number of xmas present then purchases after xmas in sales around half those that tested went on to purchase their pre orders(not saying this is good/bad btw)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I actually preferred the NGE over the super grindy "pre" days. If people think Aion and a few others mmo's are grindy, you should have tried pre-NGE SWG. Pre-NGE was really buggy too.

Except its not. You anti-TOR liars will say anything to justify your hate. Liar liar liar.

Except it is. If you are correct, then Bioware/EA are Liars too

Originally posted by Karahandras

Link to that 3mil number(just out of curiosity)? 

There is nothing, I did not believe that there was 1.7 million subs following 2 million sales, when you takje into account copies bought but not yet used plus the people who quit, but 1.7 would have been more believable IF they sold 3 million. The 3 million was a made up figure.

Anyway al that is old news, and there has been no numbers released for this month, and if it was good something would have been revealed, just comments on populations dropping and plans for transfers and maybe merges.