Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not buying it after playing beta

Comments

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Nerovipus

This game took years to develope and this is the best they can come up with...speechless.

This was my mpression. I kept thinking 'after all the years of news and hype and this is what we get? Where did all that development time even go?' Yes I know that wasn't all of it, but like someone else replied any developer knows that first 30 minutes is a big deal. Even if it does get better, it means they threw out one of the basics of game development and didn't even attempt to replace it with something else. What else did they skip I wonder.

• shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95

Except that they did change it. The premise is the same, but they took everything that made D2 amazing out. There is no character customization anymore. 

Blizzard has never done character customization.  (significantly, I mean) Even with WoW, the choices were very few and everyone looks like everyone else.  City of Heroes, Aion, now that's character customization.  Blizzard has never put effort into this, so I'm not surprised Diablo 3 still doesn't include it.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Didn't get to play yesterday, servers buying busy and all, but when i played it a few months ago in the closed beta, it was..well, kinda okay, but not what i did expect from Diablo III, given that i loved Diablo I and II and Blizzard had all the time and money in the world.

I played Diablo II just a few months before i got the closed beta invite for Diablo III, but i didn't touch Diablo III again until yesterday after i had played through the beta once back then.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well the first 30 minutes of diablo 1 and 2 was not the bloody brilliant either, and they seem to have turned out well.

Personally i found it about as captivating as the others... Good for a short while here and there but not something i care for in the long run. But since i get my for free it could ghit on toast for all i care.

But i guess diablo fans had painted a picture clos to the second comming of christ/nirvana/valhalla/*insert religious rapture here* and it is no way anything can live up to that. It should all be the same but completley new and revolutionary...

Good luck with that.

This have been a good conversation

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Originally posted by Himemiya

Why call it beta and not a demo?

That's my thought. Unless I missed something, I was able to do one mission, on one difficulty (although with all classes) which was, as pointed out earlier, basically the 'tutorial level'. I get the idea that it is a  "stress test" part of the beta, but it really comes across as more of a "come try and get hooked" demo more then anything. I didn't really get a chance to try co-op mode, so not sure why they would need to stress test single-player mode...you know...unless it were always online :P.....And before anyone jumps on this, I'm not complaining about what they put out there, I just don't think 'beta' is the right label is all. 

minor rant aside, It was a fun. It gave me my Diablo fix which was all I expected. I don't agree with all the decisions for this game, but it seems like it will still be fun and a nice little time-waster with friends.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

too bad we wont miss u in the Diablo univers game is great and one of te best of 2012...just not your cup of tea...

8.5/10 for me

P.S i just wanna point out u r judging a game from a 5% playable beta? Do u not see the problem with this? Its just like me not knowing u at all and seeing u for the first time and say "ya hese gay...look at how he dresses."

Personally i think its a enhancement to what Diablo 2 was. i loved D2 played it for years. Its nice to see D3 was not a myth.

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Originally posted by Nerovipus

This game took years to develope and this is the best they can come up with...speechless.

I played WoW, and I used to say that Blizzard hadn't made a good game since they launched the Starcraft expansion Broodwars. Warcraft 3 was kinda a good game because... they did something new to the genre, with the hero centred RTS.

Now they launched Starcraft 2, and it was just a highly polished 1990 game. And it could look as if they are doing  the same with Diablo III, getting just a meh reaction.

Blizzard got big because they came up with big ideas and launched them in polished games, but all these years of doing nothing but stealing ideas from others to put in their WoW, they forgot what made them big in the first place.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Hype > Diablo 3.  It isn't a bad game but it lacks the look and feel of a true Diablo game. Average at best I'm afraid.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

Originally posted by Scypheroth

too bad we wont miss u in the Diablo univers game is great and one of te best of 2012...just not your cup of tea...

8.5/10 for me

P.S i just wanna point out u r judging a game from a 5% playable beta? Do u not see the problem with this? Its just like me not knowing u at all and seeing u for the first time and say "ya hese gay...look at how he dresses."

Personally i think its a enhancement to what Diablo 2 was. i loved D2 played it for years. Its nice to see D3 was not a myth.

and your 8,5/10 comes from... the other 95% of the playable game which you havent played yet? 

Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

8.5/10 for me

and your 8,5/10 comes from... the other 95% of the playable game which you havent played yet? 

it comes from fact that i probly played more gams that u prob have in your life. Currently i own 12 systems and have played amost every genrea of games out there. I say almost cuz there prob is some i hvent played. But what really grinds my gears about this post is the fact that ppl judge a game from a 5% beta gameplay....everyone rates games to there own but this game to me has everythign a top down hacker needs...now it does have its flaws but not enough to justify a good clear review and instant no buy.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

8.5/10 for me

Exactly, people are getting down on others for their impressions, but they are saying it will be good, based on nothing but hope...It's like hey, 'x' opens up and is less railed when you get higher, 'x' game gets better once you reach level 10!  Probably 80-90% of the people that dislike the beginning experience of something, even if given more time will still dislike the game, and they will then be out money for a paper weight.

If they are on the fence, I would wait till it goes on sale, then you won't be out so much money, it may take a little while, unless you don't care about spending the money....We all waste money on things, so to some it's not a big deal either way.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

8.5/10 for me

it comes from fact that i probly played more gams that u prob have in your life. Currently i own 12 systems and have played amost every genrea of games out there. I say almost cuz there prob is some i hvent played. But what really grinds my gears about this post is the fact that ppl judge a game from a 5% beta gameplay....everyone rates games to there own but this game to me has everythign a top down hacker needs...now it does have its flaws but not enough to justify a good clear review and instant no buy.

And still, you just called it one of the best games of 2012...

What does you owning 12 systems have anything to do with your excessively hypocritical response?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I'm not sure if it's D3 that's dull or the genre of game that it is.  I used to like hack n slash games before MMO's came along...now they all seem very shallow and pointless.  I tried playing Torchlight as well and it was even less fun than D3. 

And I do agree with others that it doesn't really feel very diablo like.  I think the music isn't very good or there isn't enough of it.  We all rip on SWTOR but it felt like the most complex game ever made next to these hack n slash games.  I can't imagine why it took Blizzard so long to make this.

Originally posted by Serelisk

8.5/10 for me

And still, you just called it one of the best games of 2012...

What does you owning 12 systems have anything to do with your excessively hypocritical response?

and u dont think it is? considering it is the only top down killer  relased in 2012 what do u have to compair it to for its current year tat is playable?

[mod edit]

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Loser60

I liked it, eventhough I am not into top-down RPGs. It felt polished and nice, the only thing I din't like is that it's fully online.

having it online is a godsend. all those hackers and dupers ruined the 1st 2 games. keeping info server side will eliminate, or at least keep to occasional isolated incidents that blizzard can control.

also, they plan on adding pvp at some point....how would that work unless its online?

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

and u dont think it is? considering it is the only top down killer  relased in 2012 what do u have to compair it to for its current year tat is playable?

Path of Exile

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

8.5/10 for me

Wow, no need to get all hurt in the rear about it. There is a big difference in between a bigot and not liking a video game. take a breath and relax there fella. You can still buy and like the game, I just wont be in your club.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Xthos

8.5/10 for me

Exactly, people are getting down on others for their impressions, but they are saying it will be good, based on nothing but hope...It's like hey, 'x' opens up and is less railed when you get higher, 'x' game gets better once you reach level 10!  Probably 80-90% of the people that dislike the beginning experience of something, even if given more time will still dislike the game, and they will then be out money for a paper weight.

If they are on the fence, I would wait till it goes on sale, then you won't be out so much money, it may take a little while, unless you don't care about spending the money....We all waste money on things, so to some it's not a big deal either way.

its been mentioned that Diablo3 will probably have a starter edition

that will hopefully allow players to see more of the game than this weekends beta

http://www.1up.com/news/diablo-iii-starter-edition

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

8.5/10 for me

Now it all makes sense. You have 12 systems. You are totally allowed to judge the game by its 5%, while at the same time screaming at every and any person who doesnt like the game, because you know, they only played 5% of it. 

how dare they, to say they dont like the game, after playing just said 5%.

blasphemy. 

• NerovipusNerovipus Member Posts: 35

Sorry but with the money blizzard are making they should be putting out better quality products..the next wow epansion is pathetic its just the same as the rest and the engine can barely run it. They are a cheap ass company that make huges amounts of money and a put very little of it back into their games.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

I played for several hours last night. I tried the different classes and I have to say I'm not impressed at all. It's not groundbreaking, it's not better, it's really just D2 in a prettier package and with a cash shop to boot!

I was really hoping for something better. It's too bad that sequel games have to follow the same formula as sequel movies.

I just found it to be meh at best. I kept thinking it was going to get better but it just kinda stayed the same, follow the blacked out path, smash baddies when the map opens up, rinse and repeat. 

You done well, I managed 1.5 hrs and then uninstalled. How many years did it take for them to come up with this tripe? I don't know about calling it Diablo, more like Diabolical.  Even those that do buy it, I doubt it will keep them interested for more than a week.  If its people's intentions is to make money on the RMAH, well good luck with that.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by mklinic

That's my thought. Unless I missed something, I was able to do one mission, on one difficulty (although with all classes) which was, as pointed out earlier, basically the 'tutorial level'. I get the idea that it is a  "stress test" part of the beta, but it really comes across as more of a "come try and get hooked" demo more then anything. I didn't really get a chance to try co-op mode, so not sure why they would need to stress test single-player mode...you know...unless it were always online :P.....And before anyone jumps on this, I'm not complaining about what they put out there, I just don't think 'beta' is the right label is all. 

minor rant aside, It was a fun. It gave me my Diablo fix which was all I expected. I don't agree with all the decisions for this game, but it seems like it will still be fun and a nice little time-waster with friends.

Unless I've misunderstood.....it IS always online.  Even the single player campaign must be played online.  This is one "feature" that I don't much care for.  Most RPGs don't require being online so if Comcast is having one of their loser attacks where they're not up for some reason, you can still play a game.  But not so with D3.  It's all online, co-op or not.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the biggest problem with D3, that's for SURE.  It's just a tiny annoyance in comparison to other things that have been mentioned.

I'm not sure if I'll get D3.  I do have it pre-ordered at Gamestop, but I might end up blowing that off.  I don't feel strongly compelled to buy it and the things I'm hearing aren't increasing my desire, so.....yeah.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by mklinic

Unless I've misunderstood.....it IS always online.  Even the single player campaign must be played online.  This is one "feature" that I don't much care for.  Most RPGs don't require being online so if Comcast is having one of their loser attacks where they're not up for some reason, you can still play a game.  But not so with D3.  It's all online, co-op or not.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the biggest problem with D3, that's for SURE.  It's just a tiny annoyance in comparison to other things that have been mentioned.

I'm not sure if I'll get D3.  I do have it pre-ordered at Gamestop, but I might end up blowing that off.  I don't feel strongly compelled to buy it and the things I'm hearing aren't increasing my desire, so.....yeah.

if you want d2 with better graphics, don't get it. if you want an absolutely mindless hack'n'slash, go for it. on the other hand there are plenty of other games that fit the latter description, and they aren't $60. if you really want to play it, wait until the price drops. as much as i hate to use this term in a negative sense, d3 is casual in the ultimate sense of the word. no thought is needed for it at all.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    I was on the fence when it came to Diablo 3 but the only major problem I have with it is not being able to distribute stats. The skill system is fantastic and much deeper then Diablo 1 and 2. The skill tree from 2 pigeonholed you into certain builds and most people only a few skills were effective anyway. In 3 even a single skill can be changed drastically depending on the runes you use and change the way you approach the game. The music and bits of lore they throw in really keep with the essence of the Diablo franchise. The classes are all unique and fun to play. I can forgive the graphics and having to play online if it means less cheaters.
  • SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41

A whole lot of hyperbole flying around here.  Granted, most who comment on boards like this have no idea of the discussions that go on when developing anything let alone something with a rich history and associated expectations.

As others have rightly mentioned, Blizzard is caught between the two mindsets of game design - do something different or stick to the formula that worked with the first two in the series.   They clearly have stayed the course and leveraged the past paradigm, appealing to those who are looking for that.  Sure there are some changes around skills/traits/runes, but it doesn't make or break the game. As previously mentioned, with D2 if you strayed from the cookie cutter builds, you weren't remotely effective at the highest difficulty.  Don't hang on to the illusion of choice as your reason to denigrate this limited look at the game.

For my part, it was fun but a known experience which doesn't detract from it.  If you're expecting something revolutionary, you need to reset your expectations.   Now, Lineage Eternal does look like they're expanding on the gameplay set forth in the Diablo series and I'll look forward to seeing more of it.

Given how limited the public experience is with the game at this point, it's pure petulance to make the sweeping claims that this game is boring, etc but D2 was the diametric opposite.  At the levels that matter, they're effectively the same game and if it were fundamentally different, you'd be screaming about that.  Any excuse to have a tantrum and always based on rhetoric and not reasoning.

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor