Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Believe me, you have played this game before.....

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Yea idk, like i said everyone is entitled to their opinion. i think just because a good book has a bad beginning doesnt mean i cant tough it out. one of them books being Hunger Games which i read like a year and a half ago, one of many examples, but anyway my point being that some games just cant grab you right off the bat they have to kinda set the mood and introduce you. Figuratively speaking. But the OP gets me fired up, he even admits to not making it past lvl 5  -_-  its like calling a good book bad from simply reading the first page.  *Facepalm*  You just limit yourself so much by not having the mental strength to toughen up past the beginning, and if you cant handle leveling then by all means from what ive heard gw2 is gonna be easy as hell to hit max and have legit gear. 

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I like this game and I love the combat system, BUT i agree that you shouldn't wait lvl 20.

Does it get better at lvl 20? yes a lot. 

Will this change your mind about it? I doubt it. 

I liked it since lvl 1, even if the starting island is a bit boring, then started to improve.

The thing I don't agree is all the root complaints. I really don't understand since when action = bunny hoping, but maybe cause I always hate it and found it really stupid, and I'm really happy is not possible to do in this game.

I understand not everyone will like the root system, but TERA is a game (from wikipedia : Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction)  and rooting the players is one of its rules, as such if you don't like it you shouldn't play the game. Simple as that.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Normike

Here's a mystery. I was entertained by WoW for 2 years, entertained by Rift for 2 months, entertained by SWTOR for 3 months. Tera made me bored after 45 mins.... 

I got bored of WoW after 1 week, never even wanted to touch rife or swtor and Tera has me hooked playing 40 our of 60hrs during all 5 cbt.....

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by jpnole

First a brief history of my mmo burnouts and the time it took to set in. WoW took me 3 years, Rift 3 months, SWTOR 30 days and now we arrive at TERA. After trudging through the tutorial, getting to the mainland and beating up walking tree men until I hit level 2, I decided I have played this game before.  Save yourself the $50 and wait for TSW or GW2 as they are both likely to offer something new to the genre.  So if you still don't believe me go ahead and download the open beta client and see for yourself. This game had already been in release in the East so how could anyone think it would be the next big thing? It's like WoW, Rift, Lineage 2 and Aion all wrapped up in one and you will be happier watching GW2 videos on YouTube... believe me.

I've also worn pants before too.....

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

First a brief history of my mmo burnouts and the time it took to set in. WoW took me 3 years, Rift 3 months, SWTOR 30 days and now we arrive at TERA. After trudging through the tutorial, getting to the mainland and beating up walking tree men until I hit level 2, I decided I have played this game before.  Save yourself the $50 and wait for TSW or GW2 as they are both likely to offer something new to the genre.  So if you still don't believe me go ahead and download the open beta client and see for yourself. This game had already been in release in the East so how could anyone think it would be the next big thing? It's like WoW, Rift, Lineage 2 and Aion all wrapped up in one and you will be happier watching GW2 videos on YouTube... believe me.

omg you love watching guild wars 2 videos so much just imagine what it will be like to play the game....

then you'll probably play it for like 7 years, then guild wars 3 videos will be out and it'll change the genre so much and there will be 9000 open betas.

• Swammy22Swammy22 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by raistlinm

I've also worn pants before too.....

You too!?!? Damn...well I have been complete disillusioned my whole life into thinking I was the only one!

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Normike

Here's a mystery. I was entertained by WoW for 2 years, entertained by Rift for 2 months, entertained by SWTOR for 3 months. Tera made me bored after 45 mins.... 

We've had similar experiences!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

TSW will alos bore you, only GW2 "might" give you a bit more fresh feeling. But if you are really done and over with MMO's even GW2 cant save you for long.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Kanester

Its nothing like other mmos. in fact its less like other mmos compared to gw2 and tsw.

I seriously want to hear the explanation for this one.

• HestiaHestia Member UncommonPosts: 119

-Sigh- Another GW2 fanboy.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Hestia

-Sigh- Another GW2 fanboy.

What else is there =P most people too busying burning their life on Tera like me =P only check forum now coz we finally stopped or in between our like 5 mins dungeon cd =P BTW I LOVE LFD 50% dungeon cool down reduction SO EPIZ

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Daggerjaydo

This game promised lots of action oriented combat, then made your characters stationary whenever they perform a skill.

Enough said.

This is why I didn't like it too much. Played quite a bit, various classes, and I liked some of it, the skills, dodges, jump backs, but moving around and trying to do a skill, or combos of skills, bleh.

It just wasn't fluid for me. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but on an action oriented game, it is a deal breaker for me.

I did like the fact I could basically skip all the quests and just kill mobs and level. Did do some of the main quest, but I was really relieved that I could bypass the dreaded menial task (quest) grind. Too bad I don't like the combat, could have probably played it for a while.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

he mentioned failcom.

yes ill wait for that.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Exactly why does an mmo have to be "the next big thing" in order to enjoy playing? It doesn't. The OP is of course entitled to his own opinion. Even if his reasons are flawed and baseless by definition alone. I look forward to seeing how Tera developes, personally.

Because unlike a lot of gamers on these forums, myself and others know that the more the gaming industry grows, the better for gamers in the big picture. There is no law that says a gamer can like more than one mmo at a time. I say that because I see no reason for these threads created just to bash one title in order to promote another.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by Eir_S

Its nothing like other mmos. in fact its less like other mmos compared to gw2 and tsw.

GW2 combat forces the player to lock on to a target to attack for one thing, Tera combat relies on actual hand-eye coordination.

TSW only allows gamers to have 3 quests at a time in their journal, Tera doesn't.

Those two points alone are big differences in combat and questing mechanics.

Originally posted by Czanrei

GW2 combat forces the player to lock on to a target to attack for one thing, Tera combat relies on actual hand-eye coordination.

TSW only allows gamers to have 3 quests at a time in their journal, Tera doesn't.

I didn't play GW2 (but i'll next WE ;) ) so i'm not 100% sure but from what I know you can do both lock on target or target it similar on how you do it in Tera.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

do you really feel you have struck at the heart of the issue with this post?  Do you really feel you have accounted for all relevant systems applicable to the discussion?

edit: my point being you are trying to base your argument on a couple of ancillary systems which have been removed from all relevant context. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

I agree, I played for about 30 minutes and realized that was enough.... I think I am going to steer away from full fledge MMOs for a bit and go the Diablo III route for a while.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44

Well to be honest Vindictus did better job with the so called BAMs. The basilisks you get to kill at level 20 ( apperently that is the main reason it is supposed to be fun when you reach lvl 20 ) are so easy it is not a slightest challenge. The only thing that would be great in this game is PVP , too bad it doesn't exist ( and no Open World PK is not something I consider PVP, killing a player that is questing doesn't even require skill ) So the main thing I look forward in a action mmo  is not existant in a game that wants me to buy it for 50 euros and then pay them each month just so I cna hope for BGs and Arenas to come sometime this year...

Releasing a unfinished product is just not cool

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

I agree 100% 

I played alot of mmo's both in beta and after release. I never quited an mmo so quickly as i did with Tera. Theres nothing at all, that would make me buy this game. This totally Aion with new graphics.

Originally posted by Method01

This totally Aion with new graphics.

Imo it's more Tetris with better textures.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

do you really feel you have struck at the heart of the issue with this post?  Do you really feel you have accounted for all relevant systems applicable to the discussion?

edit: my point being you are trying to base your argument on a couple of ancillary systems which have been removed from all relevant context. 

Like the rest of these responses have been lol.  People taking 15 minutes to decide what a game that took x years to make and has undergone y amount of changes over the last year and a half is or isn't.  It's funny really.  I hope they throw the same amount of critizism at every game they play.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• HaxdelesriotHaxdelesriot Member Posts: 12

TERA has awesome graphics for an mmo and the engine was optimized very well. The quests remind me of vanilla WoW kill-quests, which is a terrible idea imo, considering this accounts for probably 90% of the quests. I really liked the large variety of classes and races you could choose from but that was about it.

My main probelm with TERA is actually the combat, not that the idea of it is bad, just the execution. When it was so heavily branded as a "True action mmo" I got the impression that it would be some fun, fast paced twitched based combat. From what I saw and played, that is not the case. Combat is mind-numbingly slow and boring. Attacks, abilities and combos take almost no skill or thought to execute and all you have to do to dodge an enemies attack is take one step to the left or right. You don't even need to use your dodge skill because all enemy NPCs seem to have the A.I. capabilities of a Roomba. Seriously, the mobs will take years charging up their "big boy damage" abilities and are completely thwarted by you hobbling slightly to the left, as if to wonder if the mob suddenly thought "*gasp* he moved slightly to the left, my only weakness! I didn't think he'd do that!". The combos work in a similar fashion as they do in Aion, where a certain ability you have, upon activation, will cause another ability to light up, signaling you to press the same button once again. Do to this system, combos are extremely linear and don't really allow you to create your own combos.

With a combat system that lets you aim but feels like you are swinging through molasses, semi-retarded A.I. and that unshakable feeling similar to when you see someone playing with a rubik's cube but they don't know what they are doing and you just want to snatch it out of their hands and show them how to do it, this game is not for me.

Casual vidya game players would probably enjoy this game, but if you are a hardcore mmo player or just gamer in general, enjoy games that require skill and difficulty, enjoy games like Vindictus, Hack n' Slash games, or any twitched based game, you will probably hate how slow and care-bearish this game is. I made it to level 20 before I finally threw in the boredom towel. I'm very sure the game gets much harder later, but I don't want to pay for a box+sub just so I can slog through 100+ hours of gameplay before I find anything remolety difficult about this game.

6/10 would not buy imo.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

This is why i cannot support this game, yes it have a combat system that is interesting, yes it look good, but that's it. I'm just fade up of barebones they call mmo and sell it for a full triple A price. I really wanted to play this game, even buy it, i recall a time i used to say i would buy it at least for the costume work, but i just changed my mind, i will buy it at 10$, it doesn't worth more than that. Game companies should understand you cannot make a game with only 2 features like combat and costume, it just won't work, neither in Asia, neither in the West, as soon as the novelty will fade away, the reality with hit and they will be left with a game with no revenue. Barebones don't work guys get over it once and for all, or at least if you do it make it f2p. This is why Nc would have made this game better, they actually got this reality slapped in the face in 2000 when they made Lineage2, and understood it perfectly well, i guess Bluehole or whoever left Nc to make it totally missed that point.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

It's isn't terribly innovative in style or goals and such, but the combat is a near perfect synthesis of systems that have been tried over and over again in single-player and multiplayer games. It's got the perfect balance of mouse and keyboard options, making it viable to do either, which I've never seen in an MMO. It's got enough abilities to be interesting, but no so many to they they are useless, confusing, or overwhelming in the UI.

It isn't new as a game, really, but the way it plays is fresh and worth trying. It might not be that much new, but it's fun, and isn't that what we all want?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman